A Day In The Park

am05

sitting in lumpini park today....

anyway after 20 mins or so, a young thai girl ,a round 24 sits down not to far from me...

within 5 mins.... a thai man about 40 apporaches her and `talks` to her for a bit.... then goes on his way...

5 mins later a scruffy older thai man around 50 ... sits next to her and `talks` to her for about 10 mins..then goes on his way....

2 mins later... 2 younger thai men, in a boat pull up next to her (we were sitting next to the lake!).....and `talk` to her for several mins...

they then paddle off.....only to return on foot when they had finished with the boat, they then sit `talking` to her for around 10 mins.............

in mid conversation the girl abandones her mat witch she was lying on and her drink...and walks off at a fast pace..... looking over her shoulder to make sure she wasnt followed...after a few more mins the 2 men go on their way.

ive spent quite a lot of time in bangkok....but didnt realize that a sinlgle thai girl cannot sit in a park on a sunny day without getting , acosted by any thai man that sees her!!

or was she just unlucky?

Don't know for sure but it might be that Thai people usually don't do things alone....especially young Thai women. Perhaps seeing a young woman alone is a signal to people that she would be happier if she had someone to talk with....I don't know...I'm just wondering if your interpretation which seems like a rational one might be right or there may be another explanation....or perhaps each of the people who stopped to talk with her had different motives and perhaps some were welcomed and some were not....it would be great to know just exactly what was said between the various people.

I used to go to Lumpy Knee Park many times 14 -16 years ago when I was living only a 10 minute walk away. I used to see what you witnessed many times and even have had Thai girls and men approaching me. Usually they would just sit or stand nearby not saying anything but all the while looking at me. The guys soon upped and left when I showed no interest by carrying on reading the Bkk Post or a book. But the girls who I smiled at soon let it be known to me why some of them went there for. Basically, to be picked up.

I've seen guys getting the cold shoulder from a girl when she moved to sit somewhere else and the guy just followed her to wherever she went. But in nearly all circumstances the guys would very rarely encroach within 3 or 4 meters of the girl. Until that is, the girl made the mistake of opening her mouth, or maybe she just simply stopped playing hard to get, I dunno, and the guy then moves in closer for the kill :D

Parks on any Sunday seem to me be an attraction for alot of the 'ban norkers' (country folk) who are homesick for the greenery that they left back in their provinces. Having only one day off per week doesn't allow some of them to travel home in their free time. Some use the parks as a place to meet others, some actually jog around the paths, others probably just to relax, and of course those with other reasons.

Chatuchak. When the old Morchit bus station was just across the road from the park there was a couple of occassions were I'd seen old grey-haired guys approaching girls with knapsacks on their back and after a brief conversation, the guy then led the girl/s out of the park. I can only assume that the girls who were fresh off the bus were being offered immediate employment, either real jobs or otherwise. :o

Ref the girl in the OP, it looks like she just went there to relax, got chatted up or whatever, didn't have the nerve to say 'Fack Off' for fear of causing a scene, and the guys just persevered for awhile knowing that some girls do occassionally or eventually succumb to their speil.

ive spent quite a lot of time in bangkok....but didnt realize that a sinlgle thai girl cannot sit in a park on a sunny day without getting , acosted by any thai man that sees her!!

Related? I was at Bumrungrad hospital a while back and offered to move a seat over so this young thai girl in school uniform and older well dressed thai man could sit together (they seemed to be looking around for seats). He thanked me (good english) and she added in perfect english, thank you very much. The older guy went off somewhere and a minute later a farang came and took the now vacant seat between me/her. Guy looked about 60 something, large, in decent shape, dressed in shorts/socks and muscle shirt.

He started with "hi, what your name?" She just smiled. He didn't get phased and said "I want meet nice thai girl, that's all". She just smiled and played with her hair nervously. He then asked if she likes to go dancing and if so where? -all his questions were asked in pidgen english, ie: you like dance? dancing yeah? (arm/leg motions to make the case) where you like go? etc.

Just then the older Thai guy came back, noticed the farang in conversation and politely said "hello sir, where are you from?" The farang replied (clear english this time- and no point in re-telling where said he was from;). They had a brief conversation and it turned out the Thai guy was a doctor and his daughter had come to meet him. Polite good bye's all around followed.

After they departed, the farang turned to me and said with a nudge nudge wink wink "well, you gotta try- dontcha just love thailand". I didn't say anything, just nodded and moved along. Point is, to be fair, there's probably a bit of trolling in the parks etc by both Thai's & Farangs.

This go on all over the world i spent six years in Berlin and during the summer i sit in the parks and watch all the girls getting hit on in fact thats how i met my exgirl friend, And when i took my thai back to the uk i could,nt go to the bog without someone hitting on her. :o

Ummm it may be worth mentioning ... way back in the news posts you can find stories about Hookers being rounded up in Lumpini Park.... not sure with this reputation that many single women would go there to sit around alone.

I am certain the same thing happens the world over. I remember when I worked back in UK, on a warm day I would buy a sandwich and a magazine and stroll over to the park to relax for an hour out of the office and be on my own. You could almost always guarantee that someone would come and make conversation. Whether it be a guy in a suit chatting you up, or the local drunk/crazy person etc.

Nothing wrong really I suppose, if people are making an effort to be friendly - I always really wanted them to <deleted> off though :o

And when i took my thai back to the uk i could,nt go to the bog without someone hitting on her. :o

Same thing happens here in Oz.....took my gf on a boat cruise, went to buy our first drinks and returned to find her being chatted up....he took off pretty quick.

Took her to the pub one night with a group of friends....3 guys hovered half the night ...hardly taking their eyes off her.

And again in the pub....went for a pi$$ and came back to find her being chatted up....

In the last two instances it was obvious that she was with me....what is it with these guys ??

Lumpini Park is prime territory for meeting people. I've been cruised by young women, young men, and katoeys everytime I've been there alone--some of them quite brazenly stare or ask questions. A friend of mine met a uni student there in the afternoon and by 5pm was in a love motel with her.

I've also ben told that a lone man in a park is only there for one thing: to meet girls. I'm usually just relaxing and reading!

LOL ... or to meet men .. or kathoey or ..... but still they round up the ladies of disrepute there on occassion ... haul them to the police station to pay a fine .... and in 2 hours ... they are right back there in the park