Disabled Parking

Hello Kitty

My husband and I are coming to Chiang Mai in April to check out house prices the market as we are planning to retire here.

We will rent a car but I have a bad back and walk with difficulty so I have a disabled parking permit. I am not sure the EU disabled permit will work in Thailand. Do they have disabled parking spaces in car parks or on the street?

Hello Kitty, (just couldn't resist;) basically, your EU handicap parking permit will be about as handy as a thermo heater in your rented car here (unless a cold snap returns).

Having said that, IF one notices such things, you'll see an ever increasing number of disabled folks plying along the broken and cluttered sidewalks and biways of modern Thailand and much to their credit, they amazingly seem to get by (somehow) so don't let that put you off- if you're determined.

Thailand's come a LONG way considering this was an autocratic, agragarian society for the most part less than 20 years ago and as I type this on so-called broadband from the comfort of my aircon lovely condo on lower Sukhumvit, all seems possible for the future.

Beyond providing common access & dignity, a very lucrative incentive in TIT (this is thailand) is in developing disabled friendly tourism. I know a few serious forward thinking business people who are keen on promoting this essential aspect in their resort settings, businesses etc and HOPEFULLY (one can hope) the Govt takes serious notice in the future.

Meanwhile, DO come and DO ask ALOT of questions from as many people as possible before diving into any real estate investment- of course! (that comment probably just cost me several clients btw, mai pen rai;) :D Above all, DO be patient (rule # 1 actually) and thus be the better for it :D

Regards, Dan

www.bahtsold.com

Edit/ PS, pls don't ask me for real estate recommendations- I make it a business rule to never recommend good doctors, soliciters, or estate agents but they can be found. Good luck! :o

The only disabled parking spots I EVER saw in Thailand are at the big hypermsarket stores, like Tesco's & Carrefour. Doesn't require any kind of permit, just park there. :o And I think I saw a wheelchair painted on the road near Triple N restaurant, but the tuk tuk drivers apparently think it's a tuk tuk. :D

Tip: More places than you'd think would do impromptu valet parking. Hand over your car to a parking lot dude and tip him some baht.

The only "disabled parking" I have ever seen in Chiangrai is when a shop owner puts something (like a motocy or some plastic furniture, or a sign) out in a parking space in front of their establishment so you can't park there....he/she temporarily "disables" the parking so as to reserve it for themselves.....

Nice hing abou Chiang Mai is that you can double park pretty much anywhere, anytime, for limited periods. :D

You have to beware of the clampers , though :o

And the last time you saw a doubled-parked vehicle that had a clamp on it was... ?

Not impossible, but extremely unlikely, I'd say

Worse case scenario for a doubled parked vehicle not being a hazzard might be a simple talking to, in my experience :D

Nice hing abou Chiang Mai is that you can double park pretty much anywhere, anytime, for limited periods. :D

And the last time you saw a doubled-parked vehicle that had a clamp on it was... ?

Worse case scenario for a doubled parked vehicle not being a hazzard might be a simple talking to, in my experience :D

You're quite right Aj! What you have to be careful for when you double park is motorikes. Always check when you open your door that there's not some speeding bike almost clipping your car. If you open the door on one of them it can cost - my friends mother just did it in CM, and had to pay out 8000 baht!

:D

You're quite right Aj! What you have to be careful for when you double park is motorikes. Always check when you open your door that there's not some speeding bike almost clipping your car. If you open the door on one of them it can cost - my friends mother just did it in CM, and had to pay out 8000 baht!

Absolutely correct. It's a pastime fraught with its own issues of concern, but still usually doable, in my experience.

The only disabled parking spots I EVER saw in Thailand are at the big hypermsarket stores, like Tesco's & Carrefour. Doesn't require any kind of permit, just park there. :DAnd I think I saw a wheelchair painted on the road near Triple N restaurant, but the tuk tuk drivers apparently think it's a tuk tuk. :D

You're dead right there. and they must think it's reserved for Tuk Tuks as they are always parked on it. Unfortunately the disabled spots in most of the supermarkets seem to be taken up with Mercedes owned by the likes of Mrs Pooyingalot. Even challanging them with a "goodness me you look extremely fit for a disabled person" falls on deaf ears. Far too subtle :o