Indian Style Curry Pastes In Thailand..best/worst?

tingtongtourist

When In Australia my son and i buy so much of this GREENS curry paste we could start a recycling depot with the bottles..wub.png

http://www.fernspickles.com/products.htm

SO good..The Mulligatawny and Byriani Pastes,absolutley the best ever you can get anywhere!!

This is the only food thing i do miss when in Bangkok, but i do not have any hope to find anywhere in Thailand though!!

Some time ago i did try the gourmet chef brand paste mix (in small purple packet) they sell at tops. Was the worst of EVERbah.gif

The overpowering yellow colour (supposed to be tumeric,but just colour i think) did stain everything it touch, even after cooked, and cannot to this day get the colour off of the plates and serving bowl. I buy 2 varieties but both exactly the same overpower of yellow and same taste.

Terrible!!bah.gif

I found another today at Tops in basement of Mall Bagkapi which i have never seen before (seem all tops locations stock different things)

Brand: kitchen 88

label: Indian chicken makhani curry

I am suprised as i think Thai do not usually like this sort of curry, but it says 100% Thai made. Is in attractive package box with English and thai and comes in a heatable foil sach, either micro or heat in boiling water.

No added MSG or preservative..which i thought impossible in Thai!??rolleyes.gif

I will test tonight and report if anyone is interested, i think being Thai it should be ok as they usually do not tolerate "Mai arroi" food.

But i write to see what you guys use when you wanna make the real curry? any good paste available in BK (where and what brand) is best?

I suppose you would find in Chinatown somewhere but i am not keen to go searching around that place. Also is hard to find the green cardomon in the pod here, the one they sell taste like some kinda medicine!

Maybe there is a Indian grocery shop or a small restaurant around Sukhumvhit area that also sells paste and all the stuff you need?

But what do you guys do when you need a real Indian fix?...try to make yourself or just go to some restaurant?

as a lover of indian curry i to tried those goumet chef paste's i thought they were perfect for staining cupboardsbah.gif i also had some so called indian curries from my meals on wheels service i can only describe them as dishwater.there has been good reports about indian nights curry but you can only get them in chaing mai i did e-mail the co.but they did not reply.come on mrs.balbir of bkk.i know you opened in robinsons on sukamvit rd.so please can you expand your products.

as a lover of indian curry i to tried those goumet chef paste's i thought they were perfect for staining cupboardsbah.gif i also had some so called indian curries from my meals on wheels service i can only describe them as dishwater.there has been good reports about indian nights curry but you can only get them in chaing mai i did e-mail the co.but they did not reply.come on mrs.balbir of bkk.i know you opened in robinsons on sukamvit rd.so please can you expand your products.

Thanks for that info, I never heard of that place but yes, as some poster did tell me i need to get out moresmile.png

they also say google be your friend, they do sell other stuff and have a cooking class

http://www.mrsbalbirs.com/cooking-classes

try pataks canned version. a little more expensive but gooD stuff. the ones you bought from tops is not gouRmet chef, its asian home gourMet.

That is my favourite. http://www.pataks.com/ My father used to bring the curry paste home, when he commuted to London in the late 50s/early 60s (he died 1962)

Check out http://www.pataks.co.uk/ for some recipes -

• 2 weeks later...

Like most Indians, I don't use curry pastes but rather whatever mixture of spices (whole, freshly ground and/or spice powders depending) I need to make the dish I am making. I have found most of the Indian spices I need at Villa, Foodland, etc. but for the more esoteric ones try Bimala Mini Mart (Sukhumvit Soi 10, first alley turn on the left) or Peng Lee, which is a Chinese shop in the Asok Market next to Terminal 21. Asok Market also sells fresh curry leaves and some Indian vegetables. Bimala can do home delivery of Indian spices/flours/products, as can Mrs. Balbir.