Rice Production In Thailand Poised To Reach Record In 2012-2013

webfact

Rice Production in Thailand Poised to Reach Record in 2012-2013

By Supunnabul Suwannakij

BANGKOK: -- Thailand, set to be the world’s biggest rice exporter this year, may harvest a record crop as a government plan to lift farm income boosted planting, said the Office of Agricultural Economics.

Production of unmilled rice in the year started October will increase 9.4 percent to 37.9 million metric tons from a year earlier, while planting area expanded 0.8 percent to 78.8 million rai (12.6 million hectares), the office said in a statement today. The main harvest, accounting for 69 percent of annual output, will rise 12.6 percent to 26.2 million tons, while production from the second crop may add 11.7 million tons.

Higher production of the staple for half the world may curb prices in Chicago as inventories tracked by the United Nations’ Food & Agriculture Organization swell to a record 169.8 million tons. World output of milled rice in 2012-2013 is forecast at an all-time high of 465.3 million tons, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Thailand started buying rough rice from farmers above market rates in October last year, to lift domestic prices and rural incomes.

Full story: http://www.bloomberg...-2012-2013.html

-- Bloomberg 2012-12-18

footer_n.gif

Back to the being the Number 1 rice exporter. Should we believe it? Well, a U.S. Dept of Agriculture (USDA) says so...see the partial quote below from the news article....but I wonder why the USDA assumes higher Thai rice export sales....I sure hope it ain't just because production is expected to go up or the Thai govt is giving out rosey export "predictions."

Thailand will export 8 million tons of milled rice in 2012-2013, according to the USDA, surpassing last year’s top shippers India and Vietnam.

How about those Thai govt press releases saying they have sold a bunch of rice to China but when asked for more details, supporting documents, etc., it can't be provided. Or was it just China implying they have intentions to promote rice buys from Thailand....intentions are not actual sales.

I can understand production going up under the current rice buying scheme--very good money indeed which has drove higher the prices the govt asks for rice export sales....I didn't know higher asking prices (higher than other sellers) resulted in higher sales....I thought it worked the other way.

Good news for all who get a part of the 'rice price pledging budget'.

Does the bumped crop expected mean that the THB 400 billion might not be sufficient and a wee bit more need to be reserved? To be financed in part with the proceeds of the highly priced Thai special rice?

Rice Production in Thailand Poised to Reach Record in 2012-2013

Record rice production maybe, record rice export don't think so.

The high price of Thai rice has resulted in the Kingdom losing about 50 per cent of its export customers as countries switch to importing more rice from India and Vietnam, which offer more attractive prices.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/High-prices-sap-Thai-rice-exports-30196321.html

Every available space for storing rice is full to bursting as far as I know, next they will be asking the farmers to store the rice under thier houses, but only until international sales pick up again, or are they telling the farmers that Thailand is still in the No. 1 position and all the reports to the contrary are lies generated by someone else somewhere else.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Production is increasing and exports are decreasing. I hope that everybody understands why.

The governement is paying THB 50 billion!!! a year on handling charges. These include storage and transportation.

We are witnessing the largest corruption case in thai history. It is estimated that this game will cost Thailand around THB 250 billion a year. And the majority of the Thai people don't seem to care.

Can somebody please explain why the DSI is not investigating this case. Please anybody..

• Like 2

Back to the being the Number 1 rice exporter. Should we believe it? Well, a U.S. Dept of Agriculture (USDA) says so...see the partial quote below from the news article....but I wonder why the USDA assumes higher Thai rice export sales....I sure hope it ain't just because production is expected to go up or the Thai govt is giving out rosey export "predictions."

Thailand will export 8 million tons of milled rice in 2012-2013, according to the USDA, surpassing last year’s top shippers India and Vietnam.

How about those Thai govt press releases saying they have sold a bunch of rice to China but when asked for more details, supporting documents, etc., it can't be provided. Or was it just China implying they have intentions to promote rice buys from Thailand....intentions are not actual sales.

I can understand production going up under the current rice buying scheme--very good money indeed which has drove higher the prices the govt asks for rice export sales....I didn't know higher asking prices (higher than other sellers) resulted in higher sales....I thought it worked the other way.

But which crop year?

Production is increasing and exports are decreasing. I hope that everybody understands why.

The governement is paying THB 50 billion!!! a year on handling charges. These include storage and transportation.

We are witnessing the largest corruption case in thai history. It is estimated that this game will cost Thailand around THB 250 billion a year. And the majority of the Thai people don't seem to care.

Can somebody please explain why the DSI is not investigating this case. Please anybody..

This government has family, friends and acolytes firmly entrenched in various strategic positions, and DSI are not likely to be investigating any activity that would show thier benefactors in a bad light.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 2

It is not like they have to grow more to retake the spot as the biggest exporter, they just need to sell all the rice they have stockpiled. There mistake was to stockpile the rice to begin with thinking it would cause a bigger demand and in turn higher prices. They obviously didn't see that there were a number of countries willing and able to fill the demand. The rice subsidies should have just been looked at as a government expense and they should have sold the rice at a small loss all along ... but hindsight is always 20/20.

It is not like they have to grow more to retake the spot as the biggest exporter, they just need to sell all the rice they have stockpiled. There mistake was to stockpile the rice to begin with thinking it would cause a bigger demand and in turn higher prices. They obviously didn't see that there were a number of countries willing and able to fill the demand. The rice subsidies should have just been looked at as a government expense and they should have sold the rice at a small loss all along ... but hindsight is always 20/20.

Except that having a policy of selling a product at a loss is called dumping, and quite rightly so subject to international sanctions.

What an amazing turn around, from slipping behind the likes of India etc they are now poised to be #1 again !!

Or is this just another government's "white lie" to keep the farming communities spirits up??

The #1 rating is for exports, not the size of the rice mountain.

Edit oops missed the opening sentence in OP Sorry.

Edited by Mosha

Perhaps all the excess rice can be used as landfill somewhere.

Seems there are lots more sinkholes occurring in Bangkok each year ... that would be a start.

Maybe they're already using the rice as landfill ... and then it's rotting away causing the sinkholes.

• Like 1