Tech-Savvy Thai Police To Establish L I N E Network

webfact

Tech-savvy police to establish LINE network

By Coconuts Bangkok

line.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- The Royal Thai Police will run the first check-up on its LINE network this Thursday in an attempt to increase the efficiency and promptness of crime reporting. Police expect the network to be fully utilized by next year.

Deputy Police Chief Pol Gen Pansiri Prapawat said in a press conference yesterday that police officers everywhere in the kingdom were building up a connection through their smartphones with the instant calling and messaging app LINE.

The crime-reporting network will serve as an online communication platform for officers to share text, photos and video clips with their fellows.

Full story: http://www.coconutsb...h-line-network/

-- COCONUTS Bangkok 2012-12-18

footer_n.gif

Uhhh, wat? Yeah, because LINE is a perfectly secure way to share intelligence with other officers. I mean, you know, with its 2048 bit encryption and all.

I can only wait for some police LINE emoticons to start showing up, especially ones with a motorcyclist flattened on the ground and the like. You won't even need to type anything, just post the emoticon with the location and that's it! 555 lol

• Like 1

Is it really that difficult for them to make their own app? But then again we should still commend them for opting for a free alternative and saving costs whilst improving policing efficiency.

Dont give them any ideas!!! it will be crap and cost at least 5 million baht.. Another 5 to keep it maintained every year

I hope these coppers have big batteries on their smartphones. They are going to need them. Line is a battery hog. Also not so hot for internet charges.

sent from my Q6

THAICBR can you give more info on the app developer I cant seem to narrow a Google search down.

Thanks.

I hope these coppers have big batteries on their smartphones. They are going to need them. Line is a battery hog. Also not so hot for internet charges.

sent from my Q6

THAICBR can you give more info on the app developer I cant seem to narrow a Google search down.

LINE App company

sent from my Q6

LINE App company

Am I reading this right?

Its basically a combination of an IM and VoIP app? I thought it was some super police app that allowed all kinds of FBI tech!

Cheers for the link.

Naver LINE works in Thai and English (and other languages), allows you to send pictures, and for the person who complained about internet charges, you really need to switch to a plan where the internet service is included.

Personally, if it's just for reporting a crime, I don't see it being a bad idea.

The question is - if we take a photo of people selling fake handbags or stuff, or the pushy DVD sellers at Pantip that are the reason why I rarely go there any more, and send it to the police LINE account, will anything actually happen?

I know it's an app that's common in Thailand, which is probably a good reason to use it (easier to report something with an app you already have). i.e. My daughter will tap away with her friends on it if she's not talking to them on Skype as it's cheaper than texting (especially if any of her friends are travelling abroad).

Edited by bkk_mike