No Formal Change In Non-Imm B Visas

No formal change in Non-Imm B visas

Phuket Gazette -

phuketnews_There_has_been_no_formal_change_in_policy_concerning_non_immigrant_Bus_19741_pJxNBjwmkm_jpeg.jpg

There has been no formal change in policy concerning non-immigrant Business (“B”) visas issued in Malaysia. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: The Department of Consular Affairs head office in Bangkok, which coordinates policy for issuing visas at all Royal Thai Embassies around the world, has confirmed to the Phuket Gazette that there has been no formal change in policy concerning non-immigrant Business (“B”) visas issued in Malaysia.

“The Royal Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur is still issuing multiple-entry, non-imm B visas as usual. However, they will be more strict on issuing such visas,” Naphaphatch Piromkit at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs headquarters told the Gazette.

“There are several factors for which foreigners’ applications for a multiple-entry non-imm B visa will be rejected. Nationals from a ‘risk group of nations’ will be required to return to their homeland to apply for the visa,” she explained.

However, Ms Naphaphatch declined to identify precisely which countries were among the “risk group of nations”.

“Officers will check visa applications case by case, as per normal. Also, as usual, if the applicant is marked on any official [Thai government] lists as not appropriate for entering the country, the applicant will be denied a visa,” she said.

“Some foreigners keep returning to apply for non-imm B visas, but then do not engage in business or take up employment after they enter Thailand. These people are likely to be denied a non-imm B visa,” Ms Naphaphatch explained.

“Thailand is now opening up to more foreigners, which is causing more problems. We must now be very strict,” she added.

Officials at the Royal Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur declined to answer any questions about the issue, saying that only Somphong Kangthong, Minister Counselor at the embassy, could legitimately respond to formal questions.

However, Mr Somphong was in Bangkok at a meeting, embassy staff told the Gazette.

Meanwhile, any stricter enforcement of the visa application rules seem to have had little to no effect at the Royal Thai Consulate in Penang.

Staff at the Banana Guesthouse on Chulia Street in George Town report no change at all in the rules and no indication that any changes would be forthcoming. The hotel is renowned among Phuket expats for assisting in filing visa applications at the Thai consulate n Penang.

“We filed more than 100 applications for non-imm B visas today [December 17], and the Penang Thai Consulate has not informed us of any changes,” one staffer told the Gazette yesterday.

However, foreigners making visa runs to Penang have informed the Gazette repeatedly over past few months that a “letter from the Phuket Labor Office” must now accompany non-imm B applications.

The Royal Thai Embassy Kuala Lumpur website does list the letter as a visa application requirement.

The embassy also notes: “Consular officers reserve the right to request additional documents from visa applicants as deemed necessary.”

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2012/No-formal-change-in-Non-Imm-B-visas-19741.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-12-18

“Thailand is now opening up to more foreigners, which is causing more problems. We must now be very strict,” she added.

More idiotic double talk...botom line it has been getting MORE difficult for the past 5 years..I was forced onto a retirement visa only last year by Huil instead of my normal multi B that is required under Thai immigration rules!!!!!!

Phuket: KL consulate confirms: no one-year non-B visas

PHUKET: -- A staffer at the consular section of the Royal Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur has confirmed that the consulate is effectively no longer issuing one-year multiple-entry non-immigrant B visas except in special cases.

“It’s a regulation from a while back but we have only just applied it,” she said. “If people are working in Thailand we think they should go to their local immigration office to get a one-year extension.”

The consulate looks at applications “on a case-by-case basis”, she said, but in general it will not issue one-year non-immigrant B visas.

Some confusion has been generated by an original (and, it has now been established, correct) report on ThaiVisa.com that one-year multiple are no longer issued in KL, while a local report quoted the Foreign Ministry in Bangkok as saying that one-year visas are still being issued in KL.

It now seems that, theoretically speaking, they are. But in practical terms, they are not.

Source: http://www.thephuket...visas-35519.php

-- The Phuket News 2012-12-19

footer_n.gif

Why not go yo your home country and get it ????

Maybe to many have mis-used the service in Malaysia, so people who are honest, now not have the option anymore.

Thailand is still one of the easiest countries to stay in all the time with a legal visa !

But many does not fullfill these demands !!! Myabe there is a reason !

I applied in 2008 for a Non_B visum in Penang based on application of work-permit. They gave me a 90 days Non-B visa and told me that I can get first time 9 months and after that 1 year extension with a local Immigration Office. Every year I visit the Krabi Immigration Office with the paper works and I got a 1 month extension and the papers will be send to Had Yai southern head office Immigration for approval. Within this month a second visit for an 11 months extension. But your paper work needs to be correct. I see expats claiming they have company and work permit but not have the requirements of Thai staff. They go every 90 days for a border run and apply every year for a year visa at KL or Penang. In my opinion KL and Penang are just following the rules. If your paperwork is not correct a visa will be denied not only inside Thailand but also outside.

Can anyone please elaborate the difference for me of single entry and multiple entry.

I need to confirm if a single entry visa is provided to me - does it mean i cannot travel out of thialand duirng the 90 days (?) - if I do travel it out while holding a single entry what will happen ? - is the result I cannot come back unless I re-apply ?

Does the multiple entry allow me to travel in & out with no issues.?

A company currently wants me to travel to Thai Consulate Vietnam HCMC and issue me a 90 day visa - I was told there are only a few Thai Consulates offering a multiple entry - Vietnam is not on the list.

I tried to inform the company that a single entry will not allow me to go in & out of Thailand as i like. I am not sure they understand during my time off that i want to go other countires to visit family or vacation.

My point being - if the company issues me a single entry 90 day visa - I feel that will not allow me to move in & out of Thailand freely.

I simply do not know know enough about the visas to know the difference.

I must be well informed enough to make a factual statement to the company that the single entry visa just will not work for me - that a multiple entry is required.

Single entry valid for 90 days from application for one entry of 90 days - can be extended yearly if you qualify - any travel must obtain re-entry permit first to keep current permitted to stay period.

Multi entry valid for one year from date of application and unlimited number of entries of up to 90 days each. No re-entry permit required and can be extended yearly during last 30 days of any entry.

A company currently wants me to travel to Thai Consulate Vietnam HCMC and issue me a 90 day visa - I was told there are only a few Thai Consulates offering a multiple entry - Vietnam is not on the list.

Actually this can be the correct way to do it IF they intend to apply for 1 year extension extension afterward.

When I changed company 3 years ago, I was not able to use the 1 year visa I received just 2 months before the change as the Visa is linked to company papers.

Had to go out of Thailand with paperwork of the new company, apply for 90 days work visa (not tourist) and come back with new Visa single entry linked to new company paperwork.

After 3 months, went to local immigration office with new set of paperwork and apply for yearly extension of the 90 days visa. After Visa extension is done, apply and pay for mutliple-entry permit linked to extension...

Et voila...

So as long as they intend to prepare extension of stay and multiple reentry permit for you after the 90 days, I am pretty sure they are following the correct procedure.

Can anyone please elaborate the difference for me of single entry and multiple entry.

Single entry - You enter once, for 3 months. Then you can have your visa extended at your local immigration office (for upto 9 months on your first application, and then each subsequent year you can get a 12 month extension). If you want to leave the country, you need to get a re-entry permit. A re-entry permit allows you to re-enter Thailand, and still have the same duration on your visa that you had previously. From memory a re-entry permit is around 1000 THB for a single re-entry, or around 3000 THB for a multiple re-entry

Multiple Entry - You are allowed to enter/exit Thailand as many times as you want within a 1 year period. Each time you enter, you can stay a maximum of 3 months.

Single entry valid for 90 days from application for one entry of 90 days - can be extended yearly if you qualify - any travel must obtain re-entry permit first to keep current permitted to stay period.

Multi entry valid for one year from date of application and unlimited number of entries of up to 90 days each. No re-entry permit required and can be extended yearly during last 30 days of any entry.

Actually this can be the correct way to do it IF they intend to apply for 1 year extension extension afterward.

When I changed company 3 years ago, I was not able to use the 1 year visa I received just 2 months before the change as the Visa is linked to company papers.

Had to go out of Thailand with paperwork of the new company, apply for 90 days work visa (not tourist) and come back with new Visa single entry linked to new company paperwork.

After 3 months, went to local immigration office with new set of paperwork and apply for yearly extension of the 90 days visa. After Visa extension is done, apply and pay for mutliple-entry permit linked to extension...

Et voila...

So as long as they intend to prepare extension of stay and multiple reentry permit for you after the 90 days, I am pretty sure they are following the correct procedure.

Lopburi & Cantspell,

Thank you for that info - meaning that as long as the company has intention of providing me an extension to the 90 days visa - once they acquire the extension - I can move in & out of the country without issues.

My true meaning about this inquiry is I travel spontaneously during my time off - if i feel I want to go Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia, HK, China, Philipines, USA, Australia, UK or just about any destination I desire at short notice i do not want complications returning to Thailand ready to return to work - nor do i want the hassles of making multiple trips to the prefered out of country Thai Consulates to get another visa just bcoz I want to go Disneyland in HK.

This all seems way too complicated and the fact that i feel restricted to stay in Thailand during the 90 day single entry and subsequent application process for the entensions or multiple entry visa is just about enough to put me off taking the job offer in Thailand and just remain working outside Thailand.

I am a 28/28 day rotator and have exsisted on this rotational schedule for many years without any concerns and freedom to come and go as I please.

BTW - this 28/28 rota is the same schedule i am proposed to work in Thailand as well.

The fact i live here is what is upsetting the issue.

My understanding is the expatriate office employees that do not work the 28/28 schedule stay full time in Thailand on single entry non-B-90 day visas and make border runs each 90 days. Those office expats are evidently content not to travel in and out during the 90 days granted to them. The manager is attempting to provide me the same 90 days visa as the office personnel and this worries me that I will not to be free to come and go as I please.

Single entry - You enter once, for 3 months. Then you can have your visa extended at your local immigration office (for upto 9 months on your first application, and then each subsequent year you can get a 12 month extension). If you want to leave the country, you need to get a re-entry permit. A re-entry permit allows you to re-enter Thailand, and still have the same duration on your visa that you had previously. From memory a re-entry permit is around 1000 THB for a single re-entry, or around 3000 THB for a multiple re-entry

Multiple Entry - You are allowed to enter/exit Thailand as many times as you want within a 1 year period. Each time you enter, you can stay a maximum of 3 months.

Sly,

Thanks for that info.

Now this makes much more sense to me - as long as i can exit - even if I pay a fee - and come back and still have the validity of the original visa - this would satisfy my need to travel.

I am fully aware this requires planning and visits to the local immigration office in advance to get a stamp.

Apologies for hi-jacking this thread - i know how some of you girlz are - I just couldn't resist a same topic discussion.

thanks you guys - please keep your info coming - I must be prepared next week to go HCMC to get this single entry visa - either that or tell the company wanting to hire me its a no-go bcoz they are limiting me to a single entry entry visa and not a multiple entry.

BTW - FORGOT TO ASK

Once the company does get me a single entry visa - I can do the rest of the application process on my own to acquire the extensions or multiple entry visa (??)

Or do I require more letters and other doc's to support the application for extension or multiple entry visa.

whistling.gif Once more.

You are working for a Thai company,

Your work requires you to travel routinely out of Thailand and return. (let's say to meet customers in other countries)

You get a single entry non B visa outside of Thailand good for 90 days.

Then you extend that in Thailand with documents from the company you work for. That will normally be an extension good for one year.

Now since you must make regular travel outside of Thailand for that company you (or they if you can convince them) purchase a multi entry exit re-entry visa for the term of you extension from immigration. The exit re-entry permit allows unlimited exits and re-entries during the period of your extension ... or one year if that is your extension. The multi entry exit re-entry permit costs 3800 Baht.

A single exit re-entry visa costs 1000 Baht, but is obviously good for one exit and re-entry only,

So, if you expect to exit and re-enter Thailand more than 4 times in that one year ... the multi exit re-entry is the best value for your situation.

The question Thai immigration will ask you is:

1. Why do you need a multi entry visa rather that a single entry one,

2, If you do regularly travel in and out of Thailand for business purposes ... why can't you use that multi entry exit re-rntry permit and why do you need the multi Non B visa instead,

Not carefully, what the immigration spokesperson says, She says that now EACH case will be reviewed and only if they fell a multi Non B is required will they issue one.

Otherwise they will give you a 90 day single entry visa ... which they expect you to extend in Thailand,

Actually, that's the way it's always been ... but now they will start making that the normal procedure.

whistling.gif

• Like 1

As I understand it, if you intend to get a marriage visa, work permit etc you get the Non Imm then go to your immigration dept with your paperwork to upgrade to a full year, it takes a few trips with them giving you 30 day extensions until it's all approved, then you don't go back for a year, and after that continue to renew for another year (provided your paper work is in order - more multiple visits and 1 month extensions).

The problem arises because people get the Non Imm using sketchy paperwork that isn't sufficient for the 1 year upgrade but they continue to get the extension every 3 months, or leaving and re-entering Thailand to get a further 3 months while they are ostensibly 'getting the paperwork together' hence the necessity for a multiple re-entry visa (also known here as the 1 year). It's a scam and the embassies know it hence this decision.

As to leaving the country on multiple occasions, this is known as a re-entry permit. Provided you have been to Immigration with your paperwork to get your Non Imm upgraded to 1 year, you can leave Thailand a re-enter as often as you like, showing that your non imm has a local immigration stamp for the 1 year approval, or 1 month (indicating it's being processed). But you do need to get a re-entry permit (1,000 baht) at the airport. It's advisable to get a multiple re-entry permit from your imm office (3,800 baht) since Suvarnabhumi airport service is slow. And you can only use the airport service if you are leaving that airport (I once tried to get it a day in advance at the Chiang Mai airport desk - no queueing, but he said no, go figure).

• Like 1

whistling.gif Once more.

You are working for a Thai company,

Your work requires you to travel routinely out of Thailand and return. (let's say to meet customers in other countries)

You get a single entry non B visa outside of Thailand good for 90 days.

Then you extend that in Thailand with documents from the company you work for. That will normally be an extension good for one year.

Now since you must make regular travel outside of Thailand for that company you (or they if you can convince them) purchase a multi entry exit re-entry visa for the term of you extension from immigration. The exit re-entry permit allows unlimited exits and re-entries during the period of your extension ... or one year if that is your extension. The multi entry exit re-entry permit costs 3800 Baht.

A single exit re-entry visa costs 1000 Baht, but is obviously good for one exit and re-entry only,

So, if you expect to exit and re-enter Thailand more than 4 times in that one year ... the multi exit re-entry is the best value for your situation.

The question Thai immigration will ask you is:

1. Why do you need a multi entry visa rather that a single entry one,

2, If you do regularly travel in and out of Thailand for business purposes ... why can't you use that multi entry exit re-rntry permit and why do you need the multi Non B visa instead,

Not carefully, what the immigration spokesperson says, She says that now EACH case will be reviewed and only if they fell a multi Non B is required will they issue one.

Otherwise they will give you a 90 day single entry visa ... which they expect you to extend in Thailand,

Actually, that's the way it's always been ... but now they will start making that the normal procedure.

whistling.gif

IMA-F,

Thanks for that - that lays it out clearly - as long as I can acquire the multiple entry / exit extensions I am good to go - I do not mind paying the 3,800.oo baht out my pocket - this entry/exit requiremnt is for my own personal travel. I have lived in thailand 9 years. I have been offered a job working in Thailand on 28/28 rota and my time off I want and need to exit to visit family, etc....

Why not go yo your home country and get it ????

Maybe to many have mis-used the service in Malaysia, so people who are honest, now not have the option anymore.

Thailand is still one of the easiest countries to stay in all the time with a legal visa !

But many does not fullfill these demands !!! Myabe there is a reason !

I also do go back to my home country to apply for a new visum, but I am definitely embarrassed by the unnecessary CO2 emission involved.

As I understand it, if you intend to get a marriage visa, work permit etc you get the Non Imm then go to your immigration dept with your paperwork to upgrade to a full year, it takes a few trips with them giving you 30 day extensions until it's all approved, then you don't go back for a year, and after that continue to renew for another year (provided your paper work is in order - more multiple visits and 1 month extensions).

The problem arises because people get the Non Imm using sketchy paperwork that isn't sufficient for the 1 year upgrade but they continue to get the extension every 3 months, or leaving and re-entering Thailand to get a further 3 months while they are ostensibly 'getting the paperwork together' hence the necessity for a multiple re-entry visa (also known here as the 1 year). It's a scam and the embassies know it hence this decision.

As to leaving the country on multiple occasions, this is known as a re-entry permit. Provided you have been to Immigration with your paperwork to get your Non Imm upgraded to 1 year, you can leave Thailand a re-enter as often as you like, showing that your non imm has a local immigration stamp for the 1 year approval, or 1 month (indicating it's being processed). But you do need to get a re-entry permit (1,000 baht) at the airport. It's advisable to get a multiple re-entry permit from your imm office (3,800 baht) since Suvarnabhumi airport service is slow. And you can only use the airport service if you are leaving that airport (I once tried to get it a day in advance at the Chiang Mai airport desk - no queueing, but he said no, go figure).

Virtual,

Thanks for your info as well - the info about getting exit & entry while processing your papers is great news. I intend to get the 3800.oo baht multiple permit. Problem solved in my opinion.

I applied in 2008 for a Non_B visum in Penang based on application of work-permit. They gave me a 90 days Non-B visa and told me that I can get first time 9 months and after that 1 year extension with a local Immigration Office. Every year I visit the Krabi Immigration Office with the paper works and I got a 1 month extension and the papers will be send to Had Yai southern head office Immigration for approval. Within this month a second visit for an 11 months extension. But your paper work needs to be correct. I see expats claiming they have company and work permit but not have the requirements of Thai staff. They go every 90 days for a border run and apply every year for a year visa at KL or Penang. In my opinion KL and Penang are just following the rules. If your paperwork is not correct a visa will be denied not only inside Thailand but also outside.

How do they get around the Labour Ministry's fairly recent requirement to have 4 Thai staff for a new WP and renewals? Now you have to submit latest Social Tax receipts for all Thai staff. Immigration asked the Labour Ministry to coordinate with them to help close the loophole of people on WPs doing visa runs to avoid the 4 Thai staff and other requirements for 1 year extensions.

Although I don't like the lack of transparency and arrogance with which Immigration and the MoFA do things and the lack of consistency between different Thai consulates, I can see how they have got themselves into this muddle. NON-Imm B visas were originally intended for people taking up employment in Thailand and a letter was required from the Thai employer to confirm you had an offer of a job. Somewhere along the line there started to be so many people coming to Thailand on business trips but without taking up employment they decided they needed to fill the gap in the visa range for these visitors. Since they didn't want to enact new legislation in the overlapping fiefdoms of Immigration and Labour, they decided to fudge it by expanding the role of the NON-Imm B visa to cover temporary business visitors. Legally you are expected to get a temporary WP for all your business visits too but, since this is practically impossible for most business visitors they have to turn a blind eye to that. So now you have three classes of people using back to back or frequent NON-Imm B visas: genuine business visitors employed in another country; those on WPs who don't make the cut for 1 year extensions, or their employers can't be bothered with the extra paperwork; and those who are fraudulently using back to back NON-Imm B visas to live in Thailand full time either without working or are working illegally without WP.

The solution seems to be to introduce a specific multi entry 3 month business visa for genuine visitors who can show a letter from an overseas company verifying that they are required to make regular business trips to Thailand. Consulates should not renew these, if the applicant's passport shows he is obviously living full time in Thailand. Then they could renew multi entry 3 month NON-Imm B visas for those who have WPs and for whatever reasons prefer to renew abroad rather than get a 1 year Immigration. It should be up to the Labour Ministry to decide which companies and staff get WPs not Immigration but they take it upon themselves to play God and cause a lot of unnecessary trouble.

Re AEC I see the Thai govt paying a lot of lip service to this but actually rushing around to tighten things up for foreigners because they don't want to honour their obligations to open up investment and employment to ASEAN at all. I don't think this is specifically to do with ASEAN though,

Edited by Arkady
  • Like 1

Does anyone know the official minimum Thai staff requirement for having a business here ?

None. However, if as a foreigner, you want to work for said company, or stay in Thailand, based on that company; 4 Thai staff, being paid (on paper) minimum full time wages, for whom social security is paid monthly.

Does anyone know the official minimum Thai staff requirement for having a business here ?

None. However, if as a foreigner, you want to work for said company, or stay in Thailand, based on that company; 4 Thai staff, being paid (on paper) minimum full time wages, for whom social security is paid monthly.

Thank you for your reply.

I understand that if you are married to a Thai woman who is a partner in the business then the requirement is only 2 Thai staff.

Do you know if this is correct ?

I understand that if you are married to a Thai woman who is a partner in the business then the requirement is only 2 Thai staff.

Do you know if this is correct ?

Partly correct.

It also can be for working at any company if married to a Thai. Also the registered capital is cut in half.

I need to confirm if a single entry visa is provided to me - does it mean i cannot travel out of thialand duirng the 90 days (?) - if I do travel it out while holding a single entry what will happen ? - is the result I cannot come back unless I re-apply ?

Does the multiple entry allow me to travel in & out with no issues.?

I tried to inform the company that a single entry will not allow me to go in & out of Thailand as i like. I am not sure they understand during my time off that i want to go other countires to visit family or vacation.

My point being - if the company issues me a single entry 90 day visa - I feel that will not allow me to move in & out of Thailand freely.

I simply do not know know enough about the visas to know the difference.

I must be well informed enough to make a factual statement to the company that the single entry visa just will not work for me - that a multiple entry is required.

As what I just completed:

I have Retirement Visa, I am talking about how reentry permits work... not Visa...ok?

Last year I renewed Visa and was told if I want to leave Thailand I need to purchase a Re-Entry permit. Either Single Entry or Multiple were my choices. I really didn't think I would need but as security I purchased Single Entry. This permit allowed me to leave Thailand 1 TIME! and reenter. If after I reentered I wanted to exit again in that same year (with same valid Visa) I needed to purchase another Re-Entry Permit. (I had same choices, single or Multiple entery...It is cheaper to buy mutiple Entry Permit as singles are 1900 Baht each. I believe if I remember correctly Multiple entry cost 3800 Baht) So really it is a no-brainer!

Now I used the second single entry permit to exit and reenter in my last 30 days, as this let me extend my Retirement Visa One more year.

I then had found out my Mom had failing health so while extending my Retirement Visa I purchased a Multiple Entry Permit. This will let me exit and reenter as many times as I want within the dates of my new Visa...Understand?

Also just to note as you exit... to what ever Country there might be fee to get Temp Visa to visit. As Burma is 500 Baht. So don't exit with idea that you'll take 100..1000...1500 baht as you with leave a portion of it at Border! smile.png

Big difference with entry permits is within the dates of entry and exit on your Visa. How many times you can say go to Lao's or Burma or Cambodia or even America and return. Single you can still purchase another if used (fee as you exit - not charged at all Borders). Multiple just like in/out door with possible fee as you exit also.

A little more easy... plainer to understand?

David

Edited by davidstipek

Actually you are extending your entry for retirement each time rather than your actual visa and the cost of a re-entry permit is only 1,000 baht so you would have to need 4 trips to justify purchase of a multi re-entry at 3,800 baht just on price alone (although understand other factors would likely make it a better choice for many making 3 trips).

OP is asking about a single entry visa. You have an extension of stay based upon retirement which is not a visa.

He could get a single re-entry permit that would keep the remainder of his 90 day entry that he will get from his visa.

But I think he believed that a single entry visa would keep him from traveling out of the country after he gets his extension of stay. Which of course is incorrect.

Edited by ubonjoe