Mcdonald's Thailand Imposes One-Hour Time Limit For Customers

webfact

I think a lot has to do with the free air conditioning too.. not just a cozy free wi-fi area to hang around in.

Same goes for the shopping malls, I know many people that just window shop because they are looking for a cool environment to waste time.

I don't blame Mc Crap's for doing this either, I wouldn't even give them 5 minutes without food or drink, if you sit at a table you have to order & not share a coke between 6 people.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who the heck wants to hang out in a lousy terrible place like McD . One hour he he I would not spend five minutes in this crappy lousy food joint

.... and you felt the need to come an internet forum and share that thought with the world ?? coffee1.gif

• Like 1

So little time, so many people to poison!!! I guess the obesity and diabetes rates in Asia are just not skyrocketing fast enough.

Seriously, what happened to the whole McCafe BS? I guess they are more than happy to offer you caffeine milkshakes like Starbucks, but they do not want to mistaken for a coffee shop, afterall.

Who the heck wants to hang out in a lousy terrible place like McD . One hour he he I would not spend five minutes in this crappy lousy food joint

Eeeeeeeeeeeeer, me, sorry.

Hmmmmmm, it's clean, temperature is perfect, you can eat a variety of stuff or in your case just sip water. Where do you hang out for a munch ?. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Guys it''s very simple, if they are not eating/ordering You tell them to leave. You do't have to be polite and ask them to leave. If you are not a patron then you are loitering, plain and simple. Put a sign at all entrances, and a few inside. They will get the idea, and lose face when you tell them to get out. And it's not just students, this goes for teachers as well.

I also think that patrons who are looking for a seat need to speak up. I know I do wink.png

Problem solved...

I'll gather you won't be speaking up right then and there at McDonalds? That would just cause a really bad situation...

In the end this is something management will have to deal with. I'm sure a lot of us feel the same -- as much as we want to throw these people out by ourselves, we don't run the joint... we don't have any right... ESPECIALLY if we're white...

I have done so on more than one occasion. And to date it has not caused a bad situation. But, you are more than welcome to eat your McDonald's out on the sidewalk with the soi dogs if you like...

Edited by Newguy70

This is an international problem. In Canada there has been time limits for a long time. While they are not strictly enforced it gives them the ability to ask a group of students that are all doing homework and chatting or the tutor making money at their expense the heave ho.

I have gone to numerous coffee locations and shops in the city and in Rangsit where it is almost impossible to get a seat or think because of the teens or kids that are all over the place.

For those complaining about this rule>

When was the last time you were in a busy restaurant and could not sit down. Would you be happy to leave with take out when you wanted to eat in.

Australia too. Our restaurant is located right near a McD's and daily I witness dozens of backpackers. laptop open, hogging seats for hours on end (without buying so much as a french fry) while paying customers wander around searching for somewhere to sit. It's the very reason I refuse to provide free wifi.

All-you-can-eat Sizzler stores have the right idea - set the aircon so low that anyone remaining there for more than an hour goes home with frostbite.

Some times the Thais put up with way too much "taking advantage" behaviour. I have walked out of McDs before ordering because there were no vacant tables. I've seen job interviews, tutoring and just plain hogging a table by one person spreading their laptop and papers about.

But enforcement is another matter; politely telling some one to pack up *might* cause a loss of face and that's a big no no! smile.png

Hopefully McD Singaoore will read this. Same thing thing therer. Kids, mothers, ect sit for hours with a coke and surf the net.

Same thing also in Hong Kong. It makes me think, must be a cultural thing for Chinese. For Thailand, well its normal to integrate Chinese/Japanese customs to their own.

I don't frequent McDonald's all that often, but there is one near a hospital that I go to for regular medical checkups.

You go to a McDonalds for medical checkups? Have you thought about upgrading your health insurance plan? tongue.png Edited by inthepink
  • Like 2

McDonalds in Lotus near my house, there is a Filipino lady tutoring 3 girls in math & English, seen her often, so the operator is within reason. Next the food courts will start enforcing.

I think that you would be a perfect choice for leader of a vigilante group to handle this matter. tongue.png

"But enforcement is another matter; politely telling some one to pack up *might* cause a loss of face and that's a big no no! "

make it known ( do it a few times) the over stayers will be announced over the speaker system, big loss of face and word of mouth will keep them in mind of their time.

Starbucks suffers from the same ailment. In fact, I think there's a thread here at TV somewhere about it. Wifi, aircon, table & chairs >> ANY fast food joint offering these things is going to have the same problem. Business owners here just don't know how to manage their establishments. It can be done "gently" but firmly. But I don't think they'll touch this. I'd put up signs, "tables are for the convenience of customers ONLY", and maybe add'l small signs on each table for awhile, and then I (the manager; I wouldn't expect the employees to do this) would make rounds frequently/regularly, every day, basically throwing people out who weren't buying. Yeah, there'd be grousing and some angry faces perhaps. A temporary effect. But I really DON'T think it would hurt the business reputation as I'm sure some will say it might. The only traffic you'd lose, and those that would be "put out", would be what was the non-paying traffic anyway. Have to get control of the WiFi, too. 60min connections (per MAC address) only; then disconnection with no ability to reconnect for, say, 8hr. Individual password slips handed out at the counter (with purchase only), good for the same 60min only. I don't know - whatever it takes. But Thais are bad about this. Thais treat these private business spaces the same way food and product stand operators treat sidewalks & roadways. If it's empty space, it can be squatted upon.

if anyone really wants to stay there and occupy a table none of those measures will work

i can buy a 20thb coffee every hour or a 12 thb ice cream and throw it in the bin after

60 minutes and buy another one

a customer is a customer ,they cant remove all the cheap items from the menu

and if it costs 12 thb an hour to use the free wifi or occupy a table ,its still a lot

cheaper than anything else

First Starbucks and now McD's... Thailand... I think we need more public libraries.

There used to be a famous one in one hi-so part of the city, but it was a members-only library, and membership was nearly THB1,000 a month. I think it closed down for good after a few months.

Anyone want to get into the business?? I think these Burger Joints are missing a big thing here....

There is a public library in Pattaya, on Soi 6 (no joke), but it is closed.

I think a lot has to do with the free air conditioning too.. not just a cozy free wi-fi area to hang around in.

Same goes for the shopping malls, I know many people that just window shop because they are looking for a cool environment to waste time.

I don't blame Mc Crap's for doing this either, I wouldn't even give them 5 minutes without food or drink, if you sit at a table you have to order & not share a coke between 6 people.

Yes, free air conditioning number one.

The two McD's we go to quite regularly always seem to have a lot of students hanging out using the free wi-fi and sharing one Coke while my family goes through 400 or 500 bahts worth of burgers and fries. Just get rid of the wi-fi and they'll buzz off somewhere else. I think that is what this is all about.

Well that has to say at least a little bit about how the lukh keung get to be the way they are.. Why do people find it so hard to cook any more?

The McDonald's near me isn't that large inside and the tables they do have are nearly always FILLED by students who have clearly settled in to study for the rest of the day. I almost never go in there anymore because there is nowhere to sit down, and I am sure there are many others who do the same. You really can't blame McDonald's for trying to enforce something that will allow actual PAYING customers to have a place to sit and eat their meal. They aren't running a shelter for students who don't want to study at home.

Wouldn't you go there and stay in an air conditioned area as well, IF you were a Thai student? Gimme shelter, please.--w00t.gif

Sod you - almost makes you want to try to hang out in a McD like that... mind you, i can understand as last time i was in MBK, there was nowhere to sit.

Maybe that had something to do with all the private tutors conducting thier classes in there and those that take thier after noon naps in the comfortable airconditioned enviroment

let kids sit there all day if they want...... it's about the only good thing mac d's does for society......mac d's is a kid's joint anyway.

Yea I dump my kids at the playground there on my way to the bar. Pick them up a few hours later and the poor little bugger are all tuckered out. Cheaper than paying for day care.

McDonalds is a recipy for success.

Eat-in, take-out, large and small tables to accomodate different clientele. A team assigned to picking up in the neighbourhood all trash, particularly trash that would have a McDo logo.

Huge play areas for kids, climb and slides structures.

A lot to attract the youthful clientele.

This cilentele need time to play, or to go online on social networks.

One hour...

Well, perhaps so if a small building is used, and where there is room enough only for a quick meal. (healthy or not).

But then what happened to the recipy for success?

Edited by Andre0720