' America's Most Wanted Deadbeat Dad' Arrested After Fleeing To Thailand

Boater

The headline implies that he was arrested in Thailand, but this is false after reading the entire story. The story clearly states that he was arrested in Los Angeles after being extradited from the Philippines. Why would the Thai newspaper create a "false headline" on this story?

The headline implies that he was arrested in Thailand, but this is false after reading the entire story. The story clearly states that he was arrested in Los Angeles after being extradited from the Philippines. Why would the Thai newspaper create a "false headline" on this story?

Read the OP again, report is from the Daily Mail (UK)

Daily Mail is a UK newspaper

• Like 1

Daily Mail is a UK newspaper

You're right!

1996-2012 is 16 years of unpaid child support for three kids Poor chap my foot, I feel sorry for this lowlife's kids - what a father to have been stuck with, he runs out on them and his responsiblities. Some people really should just not be allowed to have kids

Since there isn't further information, you shouldn't assume he "ran out on them". Sure, the kids are always USED in divorces in more ways than one to benefit the one seeking revenge and to ruin the other. People lie to the courts to benefit themselves and their wants and desires. So, yes, feel sorry for the kids because they are in the middle, but don't string this guy up without knowing all the facts and what the U.S courts do to people in divorces. It's outrageous.

• Like 2

Alright I can see this is going to require some stepping on of toes. I would use the term gentlemen but I don't really think it applies here. You WILL drop the rabidly misogynistic crap here immediately. I do hope I am making myself very very clear.

But the system does seem to be very much to the advantage of women, no?

I mean, wife stays home with kids. They decide to get divorced. Now he must support both the wife and the child.

I don't know. Does it. It is very difficult to raise children as a single parent. We elect women to marry and chose to have kids. The women may leave us or have affairs, but we do same things. We leave them for younger women or do things that contribute to their actions and their decisions.

Shitty situation all the way around with no good or fair solution so we should step up to the plate, accept the consequences of our decisions and do whatever we can to take care of our children. They are the most important thing.

As far as I can tell, it just allows the woman to keep living the same life she had before, same house, car, child, and expenses paid for - the only thing is that the husband is gone - just not his responsibility. I mean, does he still get to come and pick up his meals, get his laundry done? Essentially, we are saying the man is left with all the responsibility but none of the benefits.What is the women sacrificing in the situation? Nothing. Her life remains the same she just does not have to see the poor bastards face. It kinda seems like the man is being turned into a slave.

• Like 1

First of all, a marriage IS a commitment for life. I personally do not agree with this, but don't you vow something like "'till death do us part"? There you have it! And with religion being such a big part in everyday life in the US that you get it shoved down your throat at any given time...

So two divorced marriages and three kids, that is a little over 2.700 $ per kid per month.

And I guess, his wife(s) didn't trick him into having children...so...his own fault, I might say!

At the time of the divorce settlement a media report says he was earning around $500k per annum. If he experienced a business downturn with resultant degradation in income does US law provide a mechanism to reduce supports payments?

Unless you have gone through a divorce in the U.S., you have no idea how the person making the most money at the time gets raped by the courts in child support. I know someone who worked two jobs while his 'wife' went to school and continuously overdrew their account and built up HUGE debt with school loans that her sister cosigned for. He had to pay a huge amount of the school loan, lost over half of his retirement fund, and got wacked with huge child support payments as well as 1/2 medical, 1/2 "activities, and $200 a month in college fund deposits. Meanwhile, she has remarried to the guy she was cheating with during the marriage, has basically three incomes with hers being the largest since she is a Physicians Assistant and owns two homes, while this poor guy has NOTHING and is floundering to survive.

So, maybe this was the same BS scenario for this guy and if so, too bad he got caught... I have seen my friend suffer for years so I disagree with what the courts do. It's unfair and unbalanced and makes people desperate. My buddy has even contemplated suicide because he has felt hopeless. What a way to live. I feel bad for this guy....

Sorry your story doesn't compute if she is making a good salary then he needs to get a good lawyer and get the child support reset. Most of the stories I read about these things the person who gets screwed has a crap lawyer. A guy I knew was complaining about his divorce I asked him what kind of lawyer he had he said a friend no what law did he pratice he says real estate I told the guy then you deserved to get screwed.

Sorry your story doesn't compute if she is making a good salary then he needs to get a good lawyer and get the child support reset. Most of the stories I read about these things the person who gets screwed has a crap lawyer. A guy I knew was complaining about his divorce I asked him what kind of lawyer he had he said a friend no what law did he pratice he says real estate I told the guy then you deserved to get screwed.

What if she plans the divorce 6 months in advance, hires the best lawyers, then starts the process with you having 2 weeks to find someone. You think the best lawyers are available at two weeks notice? In the UK they are booked up 6 months in advance ...... only the crap lawyers are available.

And in the UK the woman (housewife) doesn't have to pay lawyers fees, the man (employed) does.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 2

1996-2012 is 16 years of unpaid child support for three kids Poor chap my foot, I feel sorry for this lowlife's kids - what a father to have been stuck with, he runs out on them and his responsiblities. Some people really should just not be allowed to have kids

Since there isn't further information, you shouldn't assume he "ran out on them". Sure, the kids are always USED in divorces in more ways than one to benefit the one seeking revenge and to ruin the other. People lie to the courts to benefit themselves and their wants and desires. So, yes, feel sorry for the kids because they are in the middle, but don't string this guy up without knowing all the facts and what the U.S courts do to people in divorces. It's outrageous.

Dude is a dead beat. Maybe your friend had a bad lawyer, was abusive or there are other factors we don't know about.

Child support in most states is calculated through a formula where you simply input both parents' income and number of days spent with each parent. No discretion. Out comes a number.

The problem arises when father does nit spend much time with kids. That will start increasing child support obligation if father does not have children at least 80 days a year. If time is split evenly, support get pretty dang low even if there is large disparity in the income.

Premarital assets stay in your name. A lot of states do split post marital assets 50/50 if parties cannot agree on disbursement.

Student loans are tricky and if he cosigned it us probably a legal obligation independent of divorce decree.

Child support can be a very low percentage if income for higher earners. The typical 80 day visitation with both parents low income $35k will be about $500.00 a month for father. More time equates less child support. Cannot really buy food for that. High income: $300k father and $30k mother with 2 children and 80 day a year visitation plan works out to about $2,200 a month. If time us spent evenly it drops to about $1,200 a month.

Father $50k and mother $30k with 80 day visitation for father and 2 children cone out to about $750 a month.

All of these are doable and guys should take care if childrenregardless if X left you to be with someone else. Not the children's fault you married her and had children with her.

• Like 1

I had thought that Americans who defaulted on child maintenance had problems with passport renewals etc. I wonder about exactly which legal grounds he was arrested on over here? Passport irregularities maybe? Can't imagine an extradition treaty clause for deadbeat dads or there would be planeloads of worried men just now

He wasnt arrested in Thailand read the article

Sand was arrested when he landed in Los Angeles and will face trial in Long Island in the coming weeks.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2250386/Robert-Sand-Most-wanted-deadbeat-dad-arrested-fleeing-Thailand-avoid-1-2m-child-support-payments.html#ixzz2FYtPoVIr

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

What about all the happy people he sold Platinum Motorbikes to in Pattaya

And all those yummy slices of pizza

Thought that was him!!! I actually met him several times. He used to live at Pattaya Bay Resort in one of the long term rooms. Pretty charismatic guy. Ive had a look for some of the ads he did for Slices and Platinum motorcycles but cant find them.

Edit - Found a video of him selling his Platinum Motorcycles on a Pattaya "News" website but as its an advert, posting the link may be a breach of forum rules. If you do a search for Platinum Motorcycles Pattaya Archive you will find it.

Edited by Shuggy

Alright I can see this is going to require some stepping on of toes. I would use the term gentlemen but I don't really think it applies here. You WILL drop the rabidly misogynistic crap here immediately. I do hope I am making myself very very clear.

see what happens when u put a woman in charge...it goes to their head

this is meant to be a joke so dont send me emails about getting suspended or banned eh

see what happens when u put a woman in charge...it goes to their head

this is meant to be a joke so dont send me emails about getting suspended or banned eh

Count yourself lucky I saw it and not another mod.

Regardless, this is about a man skipping on child support payments, not alimony. And skipped on three kids from two wives for 16 years. Lets do remember this when posting.

If a man has taken care of his wife and let her stay home all those years and they get divorced for whatever reason, it is his legal responsibility to continue working to support her in her current life style and also his children who will likely be given custody to his wife. Failure to do so will result in a prison sentence.

Matter of opinion I'd say.

Children yes, but the wife.........

It really makes marriage a commitment for life.

No it makes having kids a commitment for life. You have a problem with that?

Commitment cuts both ways,.... how many "career" mothers are there out there with zero social conscience that deliberately hop from one "husband" to another having kids in order to ride the gravy train at the same time as making the excommunicated dad's life a complete misery and financial disaster! I know of one such case where a 33 year old woman has 5 kids to 4 fathers who all contribute to the govt support she gets in making her life financially very comfortable. It's disgusting and immoral and yet condoned by most as being normal!

Not sure where you're from HD but in Australia this kind of thing is rife. I hear that UK is virtually the same.

From my own experience there's just no way of arguing or pleading with a wife/partner to keep the family together when she's hell bent on an adulterous and materialistic life that is not only supported by all her "friends" and society in general, but is actively encouraged and then enforced by the totally inept and unethical government departments such as CSA that govern such things.

Take a good look into the suicide rates of ex husbands that have been persecuted by the system to the point that they took the option of ending their lives because of the emotional strain of it all and the humiliation and persecution & hoplessness that goes with it,.. the numbers will shock you!

You gotta agree there are some messed up moms out there exploiting men for cash through the kids and the kids are severely suffering from poor parental relationships.

• Like 1