Bangkok Police Riding Around With Broken Breathalyzers

webfact

Bangkok police riding around with broken breathalyzers

By Coconuts Bangkok

br.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- An inspection of the Bangkok police force’s breathalyzers, conducted by the Department of Medical Sciences, has revealed that almost half of the breathalyzers being carried around by Bangkok cops don’t actually work.

Niphon Popattanacha, director general of the Department of Medical Sciences, said that of the 2,558 devices his department surveyed, only 1,338, or 52.3%, functioned normally. The remaining 1,220 were either malfunctioning, or just broken.

However, before you consider running out to your commute [more...]

Full story: http://www.coconutsbangkok.com/news/bangkok-police-riding-around-with-broken-breathalyzers/

-- COCONUTS Bangkok 2012-12-21

footer_n.gif

I guess we have to wait for some bright, forward thinking individual, to suggest that a nationwide check/varification of these devices be done, post haste.

Just another day of scamming in the LOS, and who is more suited than the BIB?

BANGKOK: -- An inspection of the Bangkok police force’s breathalyzers, conducted by the Department of Medical Sciences, has revealed that almost half of the breathalyzers being carried around by Bangkok cops don’t actually work.

Much like the police enforcing the law in general is it not ?

Question: I wonder how many Police will read this article (translated into Thai, unless they were one of the fortunate ones to take the 6 week English classes and are now fluent English speakers) and now realise that they may have non-functioning breathalyzers.

This is one piece of equipment the Police can use to genuinely make a difference and improve the safety of EVERYONE in Thailand. If they really had to, I guess they could make a few dollars to "help the impoverished families of the Bangkok Police Fund" while they were at it, but one hopes most Police are honest and would not lower themselves to this after doing good work and identifying a drunk driver.

Edited by TheGhostWithin

• 2 weeks later...

what is the fail level here in thailand meant to be? and how many beers does this equate to?

i know in the UK it is 35mg of alcohol / litre of breath, or something like that..... which equates to about 2 regular strength beers

what is the fail limit here guys??

It is all down to what type of Thai licence you hold, if you are on a temporary 1 year licence, you are not allowed to have as much in your system as you are if holding a full 5 year licence. Unfortunately, I can not remember the actual levels, I don't think they are as strict as back in the UK.

Quite surprising that a Thai government agency, here The Department of Medical Sciences, should go out of its way to criticise the incompetence of the police.

The police probably didn't meet the payment demand so the findings were released. rolleyes.gif

Edited by cbrer