Family Visit Visa For Thai Stepdaughter To Uk

An English friend of mine wishes to bring his Thai Step daughter to the UK for a family visit, the circumstances are as follows:

1. She is 20 years old.

2. Has a part time job in Thailand, but has no proof of earnings.

3. She also has no savings.

4. Her English Stepfather is Married to her Thai Mother, who lives permanently in the UK on an ILR,with her English Husband.

5. They have more than adequate accommodation to put her up, and will pay for a return Air Ticket, and guarantee all expenses, on her behalf.

6. Total stay in the UK will be no more than 4 months.

So I would be grateful if the many Knowledgeable Visa Experts on Thai Visa could give an assessment as to the possibility of the young lady obtaining a Family Visit Visa?

Many thanks in advance of your help!

Edited by MAJIC

I am no expert on immigration to the UK (I know more about US law). From what I have read on this forum, I don't *think* there should be a problem given the information you have provided. This web page may provide more useful information, and I suppose your friend's daughter could contact them directly to see what documents that they will need.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/visiting/family/requirements/

The good news is that is has the right of appeal in the UK and im my experience the eco will possibly call the applicant.

In a recent case they did call one of our clients and asked what will you be doing in the UK for 6 months.

I would advise you cover this aspect of the application.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

I am no expert on immigration to the UK (I know more about US law). From what I have read on this forum, I don't *think* there should be a problem given the information you have provided. This web page may provide more useful information, and I suppose your friend's daughter could contact them directly to see what documents that they will need.

http://www.ukba.home...y/requirements/

Many thanks for your reply and Link.

http://www.ukba.home...y/requirements/

Many thanks for your reply,and link!

Her biggest problem will be convincing the ECO of her reason to return.

Her mother lives in the UK, she has a part time job and no savings, and she wants to go on a four month "holiday".

Yes! a very worrying aspect of the application,which is why the need for second opinions,and convincing the ECO of this genuine application is not going to be easy.

Thanks theoldgit.

The good news is that is has the right of appeal in the UK and im my experience the eco will possibly call the applicant.

In a recent case they did call one of our clients and asked what will you be doing in the UK for 6 months.

I would advise you cover this aspect of the application.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

A good point to cover in the other information Box.

Thanks for your help!

I’m no expert and can only tell you the same as ‘theoldgit’ they need to prove that she will return before the visa expires.

In my option and this is not about this case but in general its a very hard thing to do and a stupid rule that needs addressing.

Best advice is be honest and don’t try and BS it will bite them in the arse

Do they not give applicants personal interviews with the British Embassy? (Like I said I know about U.S. procedure not British.) I know that the U.S. does give personal interviews with applicants. The same issue of "are you going to return to Thailand" is the same concern that the US has and is the same concern that Britain has. I know with the U.S. embassy they do grill you. However if you can convince the interviewer of your sincerity, you will usually be ok. If that were the case, and it were me, I would be preparing all the documentation that I could provide to convince the interviewer of my intent to return to Thailand.

UK visa applicants are very rarely, if at all, interviewed face to face. They do sometimes conduct a phone interview, but this is not routine.

Majic, we obtained a visit visa for my step-son when he was a student at university in Bangkok and being financially supported by me. Apart from his university course, he had no reason to return.

This was 5 years ago.

You and/or your friend may find UK Visit Visa Basics helpful.

Edited by 7by7

UK visa applicants are very rarely, if at all, interviewed face to face. They do sometimes conduct a phone interview, but this is not routine.

Majic, we obtained a visit visa for my step-son when he was a student at university in Bangkok and being financially supported by me. Apart from his university course, he had no reason to return.

This was 5 years ago.

You and/or your friend may find UK Visit Visa Basics helpful.

Thanks for the reply 7by7. It looks like there may be a chance of her obtaining a Visa,with some more clarity from her,that she provide her reasons for returning to Thailand.

Indeed, she will need to provide some reason for returning.

Letter from her employer, even though she only works part time, confirming that she works for them, is being granted the required leave of absence and will have her job kept for her upon her return. The letter can be in Thai or English, but the entry clearance office may phone to confirm it and if it's written in English will expect to speak to the person who signed it in English and their suspicions will be aroused if that person is unable to do so. Better, IMHO, to write it in Thai. Though if in Thai she should include an English translation with it.

If she studies as well then a similar letter from her place of study. For my step-son we got a letter from his university confirming he attended, that the planned visit was during the holidays and he was expected back on (date).

As this will be a family visit then she will have the right of an appeal if refused, so the ECO has to be very sure before refusing.

Remember she needs to complete form VAF1B, not VAF1A which is for general visitors. There have been some reports that the VAC have made family applicants complete VAF1A instead; this is an error on their part. Tell her that if it happens to her she should ignore them and insist the application be forwarded to the embassy as is.

She may find VAF1A-K Guidance Notes in Thai helpful.

From what I can make out from his last post, NoBrains is still talking about residency, not visits (Carpenter) or, as he puts it, using tricks to get around the regulations.

Whether or not these 'tricks' are legal or not I wont comment on.

But, I take your point, OG, and will leave it there.

Whilst I'm sure the Schegen Area rules and the EC Directives are very interesting, the OP is asking for advice regarding a family visit to the UK, so can we please remain on topic and stick to that.

I think you and others missing the point, thats why I ask Majic if he or his friend holts a second EU nationality or have community rights then he and his fam. members are under the umbrella of EC directives which are more flexable ( read more rights ). Seems some only looking in the tunnel of routine national rules.

You have community rights if you ever have lived/worked in an other EU memberstate.

However did we manage before you came along?

• Like 2

You have community rights if you ever have lived/worked in an other EU memberstate.

No, you don't.

You have EEA freedom of movement rights if you have been living and working, employed or self employed, in another member state and your non EEA family member has been living there with you and you are now both returning to live in your home country (Surinder Singh).

But, again, this is for RESIDENCY!!!!!!!

This topic is about VISITS!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to shout, but you seem unable to grasp the difference between the two!

If your English is so poor that you do not know the difference between a resident and a visitor then, with respect, is an English language forum the place for you?