Looking For Prathom 6 O- Net Tests In Word Format....

sirchai

Hello,

My grade six kids will have their pre O-net tests tomorrow. Just looking at this stuff made me almost throw up. Wrong Grammar, answers, sentence structure etc....

Just wondering if somebody's got some "better" ones in word format? I do have a few tests I had made in exchange. Thought it's more important that the kids can speak, but it's obviously more about their writing skills that makes a school (their English teaching staff) look good, or bad.

Heard from a teacher that a high percentage passing the O-net tests means more than kids who actually respond in English. Sad, but true.

Anything will be deeply appreciated, will send my stuff in exchange. Merry Christmas and many Happy New Years in LOS.

Cheers- wai2.gif

I'm using a program that converts PDF files into Word. I've received an O-net test book from our superb Thai head English teacher in PDF format, changed it into word and corrected the mistakes.

Should anybody be interested, I'll forward them to you. In PDF and Word format. Second book isn't yet fully corrected.

Usually for grade six, but also very useful for grade five.

Enjoy life, can be shorter than expected.---wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 2

I'm using a program that converts PDF files into Word. I've received an O-net test book from our superb Thai head English teacher in PDF format, changed it into word and corrected the mistakes.

Should anybody be interested, I'll forward them to you. In PDF and Word format. Second book isn't yet fully corrected.

Usually for grade six, but also very useful for grade five.

Enjoy life, can be shorter than expected.---wai2.gif

Thanks, good to have Thai material, as the kids will have to make these tests. With the mistakes.

Will forward my tests on the weekend. Found the program on the Pirate's Bay, where we always make holiday.

@Somchaismith

Just looked at your link - thanks and some nice stuff.

Others should be aware that you need to register as a member of the site to download the listed file. However, the site looks interesting, so I've now registered......wink.png

True, the grammar in the file is rather advanced (perhaps too much so for Prathoms), but maybe I can edit it to make reading and understanding appear easier.

Whatever - I'm always interested in ANY suitable English exam tests, especially for P1 - P6. There is absolutely nothing available in this area......wai.gif

Appreciate the links and files in this thread - thanks, guys, most helpful.

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

A quick thanks to Sirchai for the 2 files. Much appreciated and they will certainly be put to good use.

I'm planning on making several sets of "cut & paste" pages to try out on P6 and other classes during the course of the coming months.

Thanks biggrin.png

Splod

The tests are in January and or February. I believe one teacher here said it was this month. But generally, it is within the three months mentioned. And yes, way too advanced for my P6. I should teach it at the beginning of the term, in May.

And yet, they study Gogo does English books. blink.png

Sigh......

A quick thanks to Sirchai for the 2 files. Much appreciated and they will certainly be put to good use.

I'm planning on making several sets of "cut & paste" pages to try out on P6 and other classes during the course of the coming months.

Thanks biggrin.png

Splod

The tests are in January and or February. I believe one teacher here said it was this month. But generally, it is within the three months mentioned. And yes, way too advanced for my P6. I should teach it at the beginning of the term, in May.

And yet, they study Gogo does English books. blink.png

Sigh......

U-Net tests will usually be in first week of February. This week was pre testing. "Gogo loves English" books are really not suitable.--coffee1.gif

@Somtamnication

Haven't yet had the opportunity to inquire at the school - and even then I'm not that sure I'd get a reasonable answer. For some reason schools often like to 'surprise' their unsuspecting teachers a day or two before any tests actually take place. Perhaps information doesn't flow very freely from the the top down to "the masses" - who knows?....

Anyway, thanks for the heads up

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

Edited by CaptainSplod

Thanks for info

As mentioned bad english,but a couple of points

Now I can see why Falangs want to take their kids back home to be educated , I have a 4 yr son & was told this was a test fo a 12 yr old

OK NOT A TEACHER , But

? Would you falang teachers consider this any where near a test from a school abroad

I found the test to mostly teach reading & writing skills / how to read road signs so they can ride a m/bike / very little maths & basic at that / the odd question on science geography (only border countries ) & about 20% of it repeated itself maybe more since it mainly was about every day life

Ok i know that P6 is the yr before high school but to me it seems like they would need to ramp up dramatically to acheive anything

Will google test for same age kid abroad

Thanks for info

As mentioned bad english,but a couple of points

Now I can see why Falangs want to take their kids back home to be educated , I have a 4 yr son & was told this was a test fo a 12 yr old

OK NOT A TEACHER , But

? Would you falang teachers consider this any where near a test from a school abroad

I found the test to mostly teach reading & writing skills / how to read road signs so they can ride a m/bike / very little maths & basic at that / the odd question on science geography (only border countries ) & about 20% of it repeated itself maybe more since it mainly was about every day life

Ok i know that P6 is the yr before high school but to me it seems like they would need to ramp up dramatically to acheive anything

Will google test for same age kid abroad

Here’s a test for grade six students from California. That would be appropriate for kids who grew up in an English speaking environment.

You have to understand that Thai kids in ordinary programs mostly have an hour taught by a foreign teacher, usually two hours by a Thai English teacher.

Most students attending smaller schools just copy something of the white/blackboard into their notebooks. No speaking involved.

Some schools do have a good functioning English programme, where all subjects are being taught in English, but there are obviously only a few.

A big problem is the “no fail” way of Thailand. They think teachers loose face when the kids would fail, so an unwritten law from the MoE says that all students have to pass.

Still a long way to go for Thailand, to improve their educational system. ----wai2.gif

rtqgr6ela.doc

rtqgr6ela.pdf

Another issue is that many of the govt schools use books such as star search and gogo, which are geared towards native speakers, not learners of English. And in EP programs, science books are also for native speakers.

The onet test is way too hard for the p6 students, unless they have one native speaker at home.

Thanks for the CA test - very interesting to read - and wonder which grade (if any) it'd possibly be suitable for, here in Thailand? sick.gif

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

I'd say at a high school with a good functioning program and good teachers. The biggest problem might be the Thai curriculum, the definition what they should know at a certain level's not really clear to understand.

It's like the traffic rules here.......--biggrin.png

Thai Curriculum.pdf

Edited by sirchai

• 4 weeks later...

Once again, many thanks for the Word/PDFs, especially the O-NET ones.

I've spent the last weeks photocopying extracts from the Word/PDFs and trying them out on Prathom 4, 5 and 6 kids each week. The results at first were perhaps pretty horrifying, as most P6s scored only around 30-40%, P5s scored between 20-30% and p4s scored 10-30%. Some scored even less - and only 2 students scored 80% from a couple of tests.

These are/were tests for P6 O-NET, so nobody was expecting P5 and P4 kids to score anything much.

Still, things appeared to improve as the weeks went by - and the kids actually enjoyed doing the tests - and even more so the discussion afterwards about each test question. Generally speaking, most have learned a lot about the occasional "strange" question or "unheard-of" English quotations in the tests.

The Thai English teacher was very skeptical at first, wanting me to immediately discontinue the tests. I invited her to participate in the second test (and the following tests) and she was pleasantly surprised at the way the students were so eager to do and to discuss the tests.

This week sees the last of the tests, as the O-NET exam is scheduled to be taken during the weekend.

However, I've now included a new set of tests to be done during the next school year - approximately one every 4 weeks, or so. I'm hoping that the students' scores will improve in the future.

Couldn't have done it all without your support - thanks.

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

• Like 1

Once again, many thanks for the Word/PDFs, especially the O-NET ones.

I've spent the last weeks photocopying extracts from the Word/PDFs and trying them out on Prathom 4, 5 and 6 kids each week. The results at first were perhaps pretty horrifying, as most P6s scored only around 30-40%, P5s scored between 20-30% and p4s scored 10-30%. Some scored even less - and only 2 students scored 80% from a couple of tests.

These are/were tests for P6 O-NET, so nobody was expecting P5 and P4 kids to score anything much.

Still, things appeared to improve as the weeks went by - and the kids actually enjoyed doing the tests - and even more so the discussion afterwards about each test question. Generally speaking, most have learned a lot about the occasional "strange" question or "unheard-of" English quotations in the tests.

The Thai English teacher was very skeptical at first, wanting me to immediately discontinue the tests. I invited her to participate in the second test (and the following tests) and she was pleasantly surprised at the way the students were so eager to do and to discuss the tests.

This week sees the last of the tests, as the O-NET exam is scheduled to be taken during the weekend.

However, I've now included a new set of tests to be done during the next school year - approximately one every 4 weeks, or so. I'm hoping that the students' scores will improve in the future.

Couldn't have done it all without your support - thanks.

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

30-40% is pretty good. They expect at least 50%. Let's say 50+ is good for any schools. If you're using also programs like Rosetta Stone, you'll be able to do it.

One question in these tests is about a waiter and a customer. You gotta make sure that they know what/who a waiter and customer is.

Rosetta Stone does the talking, you can choose between Hollywood and British English. If you need a copy, please page me. Got a program with 32 languages.

I can smell the weekend already.....w00t.gif

Edited by sirchai

30 - 40% pretty good, huh? That's an average of 3 to 4 correct answers out of 10 - and not a lot in my book, I'm afraid. 50% and above is what I'm aiming at - although I'm informed that the school results at the previous O-NET exam (in 2012) were on average between 24 - 30%, so things are perhaps looking up, after all. Anyway, we'll just have to wait and see how things go this time around.

Yes, there are quite a lot of unusual words in the tests - words that I think the students have seen once or twice and then understandably just forgotten again. A few words they've never learned - "nationality" was the most recent one. Not one student knew what it was. Too, "what does your father do?" - confused most, as they didn't know that it was the same as " what work does your father do?".

As for Rosetta Stone - a pm is on its way.

Fortunately, I'm not involved with the actual O-NET exams, so I won't be attending this weekend. rolleyes.gif

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

Sorry these are a little late for this year, but may come in handy for next. I got these questions from a book titled NT & O-Net P6. I put them into a power point presentation so the kids can work on their own and if they get it wrong the first time they can try again. I hope it helps some of you. I have also attached a template. If any of you add to the questions or have any ideas of how to better present them please contact me at [email protected]

Please let me know if you got skype. Then I could send you a P.6 English book on PPS. It's a pretty good book, at the end is all the used vocabulary. Cheers-biggrin.png

• Like 1

I don't have skype and don't know what PPS is. Could you e-mail me the book at (email edited out)

PPS means PowerPoint Slideshow. I can't send such a big file to your e-mail account. It's around 250 MB big. Guess you know somebody who's got skype. Just page me and we'll sort this out.

Cheers-wai.gif

• 3 months later...

Sir chai, good afternoon, can I ask for some of your test materials its pretty much helpful for me and my students...Thanks

Please feel free to see post # 9, just click on the folders and you'll have them (download). It certainly worked well to spent some extra time for the worst kids

.I could "upgrade" the English test results around 3%, but their Thai O-net tests decreased by a even higher percentage.-wai.gif