Running In Chiangmai?

kokaku

I will be staying in Chiang Mai for a few months to study (though I won't be there for a month or two) and I will also be training for the NYC Marathon (which is in November). I am hoping I can start my training while I am in Chiang Mai (to allow me to stay in Thailand longer rather than returning to train). Where can I find proper running tracks in the city? By proper I mean rubberized, not concete/asphalt surface, so that I can train barefoot (or with minimal footwear). Also, are there good stores in the city to buy running shoes (if I change my mind and decide that I really do need them)?

Thank you

andy

I think that if there is any place, it would be at the 700 years stadium. Otherwise, I think that you're out of luck. I've been to most schools and none of them have that kind of track. Also, there is an email group of upcoming runs in the area. I'm not sure if you're interested but there's quite a few 10k and half marathons going on.

By proper I mean rubberized, not concete/asphalt surface, so that I can train barefoot (or with minimal footwear). Also, are there good stores in the city to buy running shoes (if I change my mind and decide that I really do need them)?

Thank you

andy

Are the streets of New York rubberised?

Anyway, I don't know of a rubberised track in CM - there might be one at CMU... There must be one at the 700 year stadium, out down the canal road - they held the SEA games there a few years ago. I don't know who can run on it. TIT, you might have to be in a club or something. Apart from that I can't think of where a rubberised track might be.

There is a sort of track at the CMU Alumini Association on Nimmaheimen Road. It's concrete, and very busy in the late afternoon. They have exercises you can do all the way round, which give a complete workout (so they say, a lot of them look like hernia material to me though).

As far as running shoes, you can get in the big shopping malls - beware of forgeries, even in shopping malls. I got ripped off with a pair of TEVA sandals in the outdoor shop, near Robinson. I think you will get a much wider choice in the US though! And probably cheaper, for an international make!

The 700 Year Stadium (Sanam Gila Jet Roi Bee) definitely has a proper soft running track, 400 meters, which is open for public use sunup to sundown. Several serious runners train there (and some not-so-serious runners like me show up sometimes too). Early morning and after about 6pm are the best times to run, considering the heat.

Chiang Mai University is supposed to have a good track and field team, so I am guessing that somewhere on or near campus there is a decent track. If it's there, you'll be able to find it when you arrive.

Regarding shoes, my advice is to shop here, unless you have size 12 or larger feet. There is a wide selection of high quality running shoes available in Chiang Mai: New Balance, Nike, Adidas, etc etc. Central department store on Huay Kaew Rd, and in the same complex, the discount shop Sportsworld, have lots of authentic shoes, and there is usually something good on sale. Best prices probably match discount internet prices in the US, with the benefit of being able to try them on. Enjoy!

The 700 Year Stadium (Sanam Gila Jet Roi Bee) definitely has a proper soft running track, 400 meters, which is open for public use sunup to sundown. Several serious runners train there (and some not-so-serious runners like me show up sometimes too). Early morning and after about 6pm are the best times to run, considering the heat.

Puwa,

Do you have to be a member or is there a fee to use the running track at the 700 Year stadium?

Beanster1 :o

Puwa,

Do you have to be a member or is there a fee to use the running track at the 700 Year stadium?

Hi Bean,

Nope it is totally free. The Stadium was built to host the '96 (?) Asian Games, then turned over to the public. There are very small fees for the swimming pool, weight room, and tennis courts (actually I'm not sure about tennis), but the running track is free. The Stadium is about four kilometers north of Huay Kaew Road on the Irrigation Canal Road, on the west side of town, right up against the mountains. It's easily accessible by bicycle or motorbike. Plus nice views of the hills. It's one of my favorite spots in Chiang Mai, actually.

Puwa

Puwa,

Hi Bean,

Nope it is totally free. The Stadium was built to host the '96 (?) Asian Games, then turned over to the public. There are very small fees for the swimming pool, weight room, and tennis courts (actually I'm not sure about tennis), but the running track is free. The Stadium is about four kilometers north of Huay Kaew Road on the Irrigation Canal Road, on the west side of town, right up against the mountains. It's easily accessible by bicycle or motorbike. Plus nice views of the hills. It's one of my favorite spots in Chiang Mai, actually.

Puwa

Thanks for the info, Puwa.

I knew they charged for the pool, but I wasn't sure about the track.

Cheers

Beanster1 :D