The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

"My "vision" for this thread is just a bunch of posts only with these mini hit and run restaurant mentions, but I understand people are probably going to want to COMMENT on the restaurants other people have mentioned. I guess we'll see how it goes (if it goes at all)."

Yawn saai.gif

• Like 2

"My "vision" for this thread is just a bunch of posts only with these mini hit and run restaurant mentions, but I understand people are probably going to want to COMMENT on the restaurants other people have mentioned. I guess we'll see how it goes (if it goes at all)."

Yawn saai.gif

What a surprise. So what's the problem? You aren't interested in hearing about interesting places to eat in Pattaya that might be new to you?

Variety, in all things, is the spice of life.

• Like 1

And the first four answers are already comments :lol:

Something I found : restaurant Split in Soi Chayapruek. According to the owner the only "Yugo" in Thailand. The owner is from Yougoslavia, lived then 20 years in Germany where he was running several restaurants and came to Thailand a couple of years ago.

We had the grill platter. Not bad, maybe a tad too salty. Djuvec rice, cevapcici, all you would expect, including the yulicka after. The platter is 490 Baht, feeds two people and a three year old. post-6036-13567410788926_thumb.jpg

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

And the first four answers are already comments laugh.png

Something I found : restaurant Split in Soi Chayapruek. According to the owner the only "Yugo" in Thailand. The owner is from Yougoslavia, lived then 20 years in Germany where he was running several restaurants and came to Thailand a couple of years ago.

We had the grill platter. Not bad, maybe a tad too salty. Djuvec rice, cevapcici, all you would expect, including the yulicka after. The platter is 490 Baht, feeds two people and a three year old. post-6036-13567410788926_thumb.jpg

looks very yum! ambiente acceptable to dine there with guests from abroad?

The Dutch place sounds interesting...love a good pea soup. But you failed on one of your own criteria, namely location..."near the inner jomtien police box" doesn't really cut it. Many people may not know which police box is the "inner" one or where any of the boxes are located. Is it along the strip of restos going on down along the beach from the police box adjacent to dongton beach?

• Like 1

Il Primo Sole, Beach Road between sois 5 and 6. Very nice Italian restaurant. They do all the standard Italian dishes, and a great bruschetta. Prices reasonable e.g. approx 250 baht for Penne A l'Amatriciana. Also do Pizzas, though I've not had one. Sort of a strange location as you eat in a corridor! Used to be called Al Capone.

Edited by eyebee

Il Primo Sole, Beach Road between sois 5 and 6. Very nice Italian restaurant. They do all the standard Italian dishes, and a great bruschetta. Prices reasonable e.g. approx 250 baht for Penne A l'Amatriciana. Also do Pizzas, though I've not had one. Sort of a strange location as you eat in a corridor! Used to be called Al Capone.

Sounds interesting...thanks for the tip. One other thing I feel people should mention is if the place has enclosed air-con seating. In this climate, this is a make or break issue for many. For Il Primo, is their corridor air-conditioned?

it's a shop house, I'd say okay to bring guests, but it's not the Ritz really. Added bonus for you :the menu is in German.

it's a shop house, I'd say okay to bring guests, but it's not the Ritz really. Added bonus for you :the menu is in German.

The place has aircon, but when we were there the weather was cool enough and they had the door wide open.

Joy Enjoy Norwegian Restaurant Jomtien

A budget version of Linda's. Popular with Scandanavian long stayers. Open air, covered, fans. Honest hearty cooking. Ample platters in the 250 range including potatoes (usually boiled) and vegetables. Featuring dishes like large fishballs in cream sauce, fried fish cakes, meatballs similar to famous Swedish meatballs, Bacalao (dried salted cod) w/ tomato sauce and potatoes, Salmon and cod dishes. Been there for years, with good reason. Location: Just off Thappraya Road across from Jomtien complex. Find the Tops mini-supermarket and go down the small soi on the left of it, then turn left at the end of the soi.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JT is not the only restaurant critic in town and there are numerous of us who disagree with his reports.

Indeed. One reason I started this thread to enthusiastically invite one and all to add their OWN hit and run restaurant finds!

Thanks raro and eyebee clap2.gif

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Are we allowed to be critical?

The concept I was going for is to share our personal "discoveries" of places with good food with a wider audience. Do what you like though, of course, I ain't the boss of you; within the rules of the forum and Kingdom of course. Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

The Dutch place sounds interesting...love a good pea soup. But you failed on one of your own criteria, namely location..."near the inner jomtien police box" doesn't really cut it. Many people may not know which police box is the "inner" one or where any of the boxes are located. Is it along the strip of restos going on down along the beach from the police box adjacent to dongton beach?

Fair enough. I'll try again. There is map in a link I supplied but it's not very clear.

Going into Jomtien beach from Pattaya on Thappraya go to the end of Thappraya and right there is the famous police box.

On that corner (to the right) is a 7-11 and just in from that is a Book store. Find the pedestrian only soi parallel to Thappraya after the book store and walk down that soi (back towards Pattaya). You will pass a Fish and Chips shop that used to be a Jolly Friars. Further on the left is the Dutch place.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I would like to suggest an expansion of this concept. Before I said "new to you" but thinking on it, that's probably too limited. For example, some local place you've loved for years that most people probably wouldn't know about. Sharing places like that would be in the same spirit. Also, places that have already been mentioned here before over the years, but only in a limited way; not everyone catches every thread. Here is a fresh chance to put some light on such places again.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Nayeb Iranian Restaurant

Haven't tried all the Iranian restaurants in town, but this one is in the top tier for sure. Most Iranian standards done decently. Kebabs: Beef, ground beef w/spice, chicken. Also fried fish and lamb shank. New offering on their menu: grilled chicken drummettes w/ saffron (Jujeh). Careful the "lamb meat" stew is organ meat! Fine Persian style rice. A little weak on the classic stews (ghormeh sabzi, etc.). Doogh yogurt drink is served in a pitcher good for two. Typical dishes average 200 baht depending including rice and leaves/raw onions appetizer. No alcohol served. Atmosphere can feel less than festive. Come for the food!

Location South Pattaya in the Middle Eastern district. On the corner of the entrance to Beverly Plaza Hotel, linked here:

http://www.hotelbeve...m/location.html

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Years ago you started a thread about Jits Thai restaurant (you called it a worthy mom 'n pop place). They used to be in that little row of shops on the old Jomtien 2nd Road leading to the immigration office just past the statue. Did they move somewhere else or just pack it in?

Years ago you started a thread about Jits Thai restaurant (you called it a worthy mom 'n pop place). They used to be in that little row of shops on the old Jomtien 2nd Road leading to the immigration office just past the statue. Did they move somewhere else or just pack it in?

They've been closed for years now and as far as I know are not operating a restaurant in the area. If someone knows differently, speak up. Yes a good place for the memories. Edited by Jingthing

At the risk of hijacking this thread....

One of the major changes over the 2 or 3 years is the number of street kebab shops. I'm not talking about the dozens of mobile Thai ones, but the fixed location roadside shops. At one time it was pretty much only Emad who at the time was in a mobile cart opposite MacDonalds (The Avenue) before the Avenue opened and the guy outside the Marine Plaza Hotel on Soi 16. Now there's new ones popping up all over the place in shops.

Which is the best one? I still buy from Emad now located near the 2nd Road/Pattaya Tai corner on the occasion I want one late.

Tipps Corner Third Rd and Central Rd

Not really a restaurant but a cafe.

Cheap good quality Thai and Farang food. Places like this hard to find these days.

Also on the same vein the place a couple of doors down from Tops all glass frontage dont know the name. Cheap good quality Thai and farang food cafe style.

At the risk of hijacking this thread....

One of the major changes over the 2 or 3 years is the number of street kebab shops. I'm not talking about the dozens of mobile Thai ones, but the fixed location roadside shops. At one time it was pretty much only Emad who at the time was in a mobile cart opposite MacDonalds (The Avenue) before the Avenue opened and the guy outside the Marine Plaza Hotel on Soi 16. Now there's new ones popping up all over the place in shops.

Which is the best one? I still buy from Emad now located near the 2nd Road/Pattaya Tai corner on the occasion I want one late.

we definitely need a separate thread for this subject! I start one right now!