BANGKOK
Jingthing

The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

La Taverna del Passatore sounds a bit like Buondi on Thappraya road. Another place to check out soon! thumbsup.gif

Yes. LaTaverna is an excellent Italian restaurant. Just as good as the food I had in Tuscany.

Penne pasta with sausage / eggplant, bruschetta & tiramisu = 400Bt.

one mild flame removed.

La Taverna del Passatore ​used to be known as " that Italian restaurant with no name" at the intersection of Soi Chiyapoon and Soi Excite. You might not find a seat if you go between 13 and 15 hrs.

Edited by Phil Conners
font reset

La Taverna del Passatore ​used to be known as " that Italian restaurant with no name" at the intersection of Soi Chiyapoon and Soi Excite. You might not find a seat if you go between 13 and 15 hrs.

Are you absolutely sure? I'm skeptical.

La Taverna del Passatore

Italian Restaurant, Italian Style

A casual open air Italian bistro style shophouse restaurant. Italian owned and run. Italian customers. Good signs, right? Yes, indeed.

Menu includes appetizers, pastas 200 bahtish plus range (wide choice of pastas including Tagliatelle, an extensive and authentic sophisticated range of sauces, main meat dishes served with choice of potato (pork, fish, chicken, some beef) 200 to 300 bahtish range, and desserts like tiramisu and panacotta (100 bahtish).

Dishes come with some Italian bread.

Also side dishes like spinach, 80 baht.

Also featured: DAILY specials, generally a special of the night pasta and special of the night meat offering.

Location: off Soi Buakow, head south from Soi Lengkee about one block. On the corner to to the right is bar girl cum restaurant called the BIG EASY. Also there is a sign pointing down that soi about the Italian restaurant. Go down that soi a bit, the place is on the right.

I think open for lunch and dinner. Can't confirm exact hours.

Tried This place last nite and it's GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!! Don't know how you found it but two thumbs up licklips.giflicklips.gif

Full report and photos to follow.

Tried here Saturday night, quite disappointed, tried cherry's tonight and really impressed with quality of food and value for money

Tried here Saturday night, quite disappointed, tried cherry's tonight and really impressed with quality of food and value for money

Cherry's is quite well known and popular, especially for their international buffet nights.

http://cherrys-resta...x.php?l=default

As far as you not liking La Taverna, well they aren't exactly hurting for business, so no worries.

Edited by Jingthing

Cherry's is quite well known and popular, especially for their international buffet nights.

http://cherrys-resta...x.php?l=default

As far as you not liking La Taverna, well they aren't exactly hurting for business, so no worries.

I know jingthing, I wish I could write food reviews like some of you guys, for me it's a simple like or not like a restaurant, but some of the information on TV is invaluable as I'm a fussy eater when I'm outside my home country of Ireland

Yeah. Another Hit & Run.

Aren't you excited?

New restaurant area and mall in North Pattaya, located across from Amorn "Chinese" restaurant directly and more roughly across from Drinking Street, so that's the beach road side of 2nd road, north of Big C.

It's a very new and modern open air type walking strip mall kind of concept. Mostly empty now but obviously, many more businesses to come, and right now two of the existing businesses are SPANKING NEW (slap slap) restaurants worthy of mention.

JUN JUN SING

Korean BBQ and Korean restaurant

Features all you can eat "Pork Party" 5 pork options to BBQ on your table for 299 baht

All served with six banchan (kimchi and other stuff), which are the same everyday, but they are good and varied banchan.

Beef BBQ items a la carte and not cheap, as expected.

Also on offer a limited number of soup/stew options from only 150 baht up to 250 baht. ALL include all you can eat banchan.

The service is overwhelmingly welcoming. You've been warned, ha ha.

No this isn't the best Korean restaurant in town and it isn't the worst. But what it is is a very nice coherent package, with an easy to understand menu, and the featured "Pork Party" all you can eat BBQ offer. I think it is a great addition to the already very rich Korean restaurant scene in town. If only we had this quality and quantity for Chinese and Mexican food ... oh well.

Their facebook page is very informative, you can see all the menu choices so I won't bother describing, just look:

https://www.facebook...Sung.Restaurant

A location map here:

https://www.facebook...&type=3

Some other comments. Yes it is more expensive than a Thai Moo Kata. That's because this is a REAL Korean restaurant.

You might ask which is the best Korean restaurant in town? I certainly don't know as there are so many and I haven't been to them all, and I've got to make a confession now that I am NOT Korean, but for the places I have tried to my taste the best Korean food I have had in town has been at the place talked about on this thread (YURAK Restaurant off Sukhumwit):

http://www.thaivisa....ean-restaurant/

The SECOND new restaurant in this same open air mall is a South Indian restaurant:

Idli Dosa South Indian Restaurant

Just a bookmark here as I haven't eaten there yet. But I can say it features the most robust South Indian menu in town even compared to Saras. Also it is not only vegetarian, unlike Saras. It appears very promising and I plan in eating there when I get the chance.

http://idli-dosa.com/about.php

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Yeah. Another Hit & Run.

Aren't you excited?

New restaurant area and mall in North Pattaya, located across from Amorn "Chinese" restaurant directly and more roughly across from Drinking Street, so that's the beach road side of 2nd road, north of Big C.

It's a very new and modern open air type walking strip mall kind of concept. Mostly empty now but obviously, many more businesses to come, and right now two of the existing businesses are SPANKING NEW (slap slap) restaurants worthy of mention.

JUN JUN SING

Korean BBQ and Korean restaurant

Features all you can eat "Pork Party" 5 pork options to BBQ on your table for 299 baht

All served with six banchan (kimchi and other stuff), which are the same everyday, but they are good and varied banchan.

Beef BBQ items a la carte and not cheap, as expected.

Also on offer a limited number of soup/stew options from only 150 baht up to 250 baht. ALL include all you can eat banchan.

The service is overwhelmingly welcoming. You've been warned, ha ha.

No this isn't the best Korean restaurant in town and it isn't the worst. But what it is is a very nice coherent package, with an easy to understand menu, and the featured "Pork Party" all you can eat BBQ offer. I think it is a great addition to the already very rich Korean restaurant scene in town. If only we had this quality and quantity for Chinese and Mexican food ... oh well.

Their facebook page is very informative, you can see all the menu choices so I won't bother describing, just look:

https://www.facebook...Sung.Restaurant

A location map here:

https://www.facebook...&type=3

Some other comments. Yes it is more expensive than a Thai Moo Kata. That's because this is a REAL Korean restaurant.

You might ask which is the best Korean restaurant in town? I certainly don't know as there are so many and I haven't been to them all, and I've got to make a confession now that I am NOT Korean, but for the places I have tried to my taste the best Korean food I have had in town has been at the place talked about on this thread (YURAK Restaurant off Sukhumwit):

The SECOND new restaurant in this same open air mall is a South Indian restaurant:

Just a bookmark here as I haven't eaten there yet. But I can say it features the most robust South Indian menu in town even compared to Saras. Also it is not only vegetarian, unlike Saras. It appears very promising and I plan in eating there when I get the chance.

Thanks for the report JT. Are you saying the new indian spot is in the same mall area as the Korean spot I posted about? That would be in the same parking lot area as Numchai between Soi Nern Plub Wan and Soi Siam Country Club off of Sukumvit.

I will certainly give the korean spot a go now that you have given it the thumbs up. I spotted it ages ago but never ventured in.

Thanks for the report JT. Are you saying the new indian spot is in the same mall area as the Korean spot I posted about? That would be in the same parking lot area as Numchai between Soi Nern Plub Wan and Soi Siam Country Club off of Sukumvit.

I will certainly give the korean spot a go now that you have given it the thumbs up. I spotted it ages ago but never ventured in.

No I am not saying that at all! The new Indian and the new Korean place are located in North Pattaya right off SECOND road. The Numchai place Korean is an entirely different location. I think that is clear in the post.

The Numchai Korean I have only been to once as it isn't convenient to me. Also I think it is dinner only and rather a formal dining experience which I don't personally prefer. However, the food was FANTASTIC and food trumps everything.

Edited by Jingthing

No.. read above and you will see it's not at all clear. You go from saying the korean restaurant you like is the Yurak place and then say the 2nd new restaurant in the same open air mall is the Indian spot.

In any case, after reading you post several times I see now you are just all over the board with that single post. Discussing 3 different restaurants in the same post. If you call that clear, then ok.

No.. read above and you will see it's not at all clear. You go from saying the korean restaurant you like is the Yurak place and then say the 2nd new restaurant in the same open air mall is the Indian spot.

In any case, after reading you post several times I see now you are just all over the board with that single post. Discussing 3 different restaurants in the same post. If you call that clear, then ok.

Sorry. I just reread this and I made a major editing mistake here that was the cause of the confusion. My mistake. My apologies.

So to review, yes three places were referenced:

1. Jun Jun Sing Korean in the open air mall off 2nd road (new), see Facebook map

2. Idli Dosa Indian in the same open air mall off 2nd road (new)

3. Yurak Korean off Sukhumwit (NOT new)

I had brought up Yurak Korean as an add on because in the mini review of Jun Jun Sing I said it isn't the best Korean in town. So I thought it was relevant to mention my subjective opinion on what is the best Korean in town. So I did.

Edited by Jingthing

The map. What about putting these places on the Pattaya restaurant map?

Sorry. I just reread this and I made a major editing mistake here that was the cause of the confusion. My mistake. My apologies.

So to review, yes three places were referenced:

1. Jun Jun Sing Korean in the open air mall off 2nd road (new), see Facebook map

2. Idli Dosa Indian in the same open air mall off 2nd road (new)

3. Yurak Korean off Sukhumwit (NOT new)

I had brought up Yurak Korean as an add on because in the mini review of Jun Jun Sing I said it isn't the best Korean in town. So I thought it was relevant to mention my subjective opinion on what is the best Korean in town. So I did.

No worries at all. I do appreciate you input on the local eateries.

I go to many places based on your input.

Sent from my GT-I9100T

Edited by Jayman