The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

OK I did try the new British Chinese joint. No comment that I could make here.

NEWS FLASH grand opening major new restaurant tomorrow

PRIMOS

accross from Royal Garden Mall.

Trendy modern place.

Interesting ambitious but not overly large choice menu.

Was told by staff the food was Euro / Slovenian.

Moderate prices. Some really different dishes. Not the same old same old.

From signage outside you would think Italian or Greek.

Wish them success.

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Is that no comment on the British or Chinese food? Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Good New Years News!

Nayeb Iranian restaurant previously reported "looks closed" is now back open! Seems like a minor change in the interior. Don't know if they've changed the menu as yet. This has been a good option for Persian food so happy they're back at it.

Sort of Healthier Fast Food at KFC!

Foilicious Baked Chicken

I tried this item. Not sure if it's a permanent menu item but variations of it have shown up in other Asian countries, sometimes I think as a temporary item.

Basically it's a mild American style BBQ sauce BAKED chicken done in foil, so VERY juicy. Served with rice. Two decent sized pieces w/ rice about 90 baht. For 30 more you get a soft drink but that's optional.

Believe it or not, and I'm not a frequenter of fast food joints ... I LIKED IT.

post-37101-0-83566100-1388590183_thumb.j

http://www.foodspotting.com/places/33992-kfc-home-delivery-/items/1507668-foilicious-baked-chicken

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

4 dish lunch or dinner Indian buffet. 200 baht or 150 baht with expat club card. Opposite Tony's gym on 3rd road. LANTERN. Same owner as Spices2, the buffet that closed behind Big C Extra, Pattaya Klang.

post-194687-0-02894900-1388654911_thumb.

post-194687-0-53208000-1388654913_thumb.

post-194687-0-07347400-1388654916_thumb.

post-194687-0-49663200-1388654918_thumb.

post-194687-0-04753700-1388654921_thumb.

post-194687-0-90767900-1388654923_thumb.

post-194687-0-50305500-1388654926_thumb.

Edited by addy77
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Quite a bit off topic, because it is not a restaurant in itself, but I don't think it is worth to open a new thread for it,

so I mention it here.

For those of us who like mussels (yes, those tasty filters of doom), there is a new(?) seller at the Rompo market

in Jomtien that cooks them for you as you wait. A bit of basil, a bit of chilli, tiny bit of water, their own juices.

Delightful as they come or with a bit of lime and/or a bit of homemade aioli (you make it). 60 Baht per portion,

if you want to make a dinner out of it, better buy 2.

• Like 2

Quite a bit off topic, because it is not a restaurant in itself, but I don't think it is worth to open a new thread for it,

so I mention it here.

For those of us who like mussels (yes, those tasty filters of doom), there is a new(?) seller at the Rompo market

in Jomtien that cooks them for you as you wait. A bit of basil, a bit of chilli, tiny bit of water, their own juices.

Delightful as they come or with a bit of lime and/or a bit of homemade aioli (you make it). 60 Baht per portion,

if you want to make a dinner out of it, better buy 2.

Beseth, Is this one of the evening stands set up after 5 or one of the daytime stalls. Definitely would like to check out. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Jomtien News

After a long period of preparation , the new French cafe La Pomme finally opened last week.

Located right next to "The Continental Bakery" in Jomtien, it offers a brighter - and pricier - option.

This reviewer chose the "promotion special" this morning which was 99 Baht(No VAT added).

For that, I got a large and tasty fresh Croissant and an Americano.

Unfortuanely, there is no option of drip coffee so the only choices in general are of the fancy stuff like

expresso etc. with a minimum a la cart price of 60 Baht. This may make it less competative than The Continental,Sam's or other breakfast choices such as Linda's down the street.

The Good: The menu offers a range of choices for beakfast , service is quick and pleasant and there are no extra charges. It is spacious, air conditioned and has

a bright interior. Free Wifi is available. The crossants are fresh and tasty but I can't vouch for the rest of the menu.

The Bad: Not set up for budget conscious consumers. No drip coffee. No newspapers.

Verdict: A possible place to meet and dine . It is still in its early phase so give it some time.

Edited by BugJackBaron

Ploen Talay Seafood Buffet

Central Pattaya Beach Mall, 5th floor, beach side

A family friendly (especially Russian family), seafood-centric buffet concept.

Advertised price 429.

"Promotion" price 329. (VAT included)

There is a time limit or extra charges.

Some basic drinks I think are offered free (like water out of serving machine).

Not knowing that, I ordered a bottled water, only 11 baht, can't complain!

I sampled this place tonight paying the promotion price and I'm here to say it was worth 329, but not worth 429 so congrats to their marketing people for setting the price right.

What you get is middle level food quality (for the most part).

Salad station. Western and Thai. Quite tasty. Not like Sizzler, smaller, different, in some ways better, in some ways not as good. I liked it.

Oyster station. Tiny containers of raw oyster preparations. I didn't try so can't comment. Same area small seaweed salad.

BBQ station. Choose from mackerel, squid, largish prawns and red meat options to be simply grilled and brought to your table by number. A good assortment of spicy sauces offered. I tried the mackerel, squid, and prawns, all grilled properly (but not seasoned).

It was funny to watch the value chasers, they were pigging out on large plates of PRAWNS. Can't blame them, makes sense, but I like more variety.

Large container of steamed full small crabs with no apparent seasoning. (I didn't try, too much work.)

Large container of steamed mussels with no apparent seasoning.(I didn't try, looked too boring.)

Soups: tonight they had BORSCHT (assume every night, this is Pattaya), tom yum, and cream clam.

I had the BORSCHT and it was actually serviceable.

Steam table with prepared dishes:

Squid in salted egg sauce, shark w/ black pepper, pad krapow spaghetti, etc.

These dishes were mostly very tired, sitting too long.

The LOW POINT of the experience.

The shark (which had been fried who knows when) was very unpalatable. bah.gif

There was fried squid which looked like it might have been good fresh from the fryer but you could tell looking at it that it was nothing like that.

They also had mini bowls with shrimp with bean thread vermicelli, these were just OK.

Be warned there is a charge if you waste too much food. If I had taken a large portion of shark, I might have had a problem. So don't take much of anything, if you like something a lot, go back.

Pasta station w/ variety of sauces. Popular with the kiddies.

Starch station, rice, brown rice, mashed potatoes, boiled potatoes, etc.

Dessert station minimal, fresh cut fruit and a chocolate fountain which didn't interest me at all (it looked like it had clotted) but the Russians were crazy about it!

Overall, I like this place. Wouldn't go often as that would be boring, but there are enough choices to make a really nice (and even HEALTHY meal if you choose) meal worth the modest price. It's sad about the prepared dishes being so tired, it might be worth going earlier in the evening when they might be fresher.

Worth a try if you're hungry, don't want to spend a lot, like seafood, and don't have unreasonable expectations of getting gourmet level food.

Edited by Jingthing

"It was funny to watch the value chasers, they were pigging out on large plates of PRAWNS. Can't blame them, makes sense, but I like more variety."

Not necessarily value chasers as you disparagingly call them, I for one am not partial to seafood in general but would go to a place like this for my wife's benefit. My plate would likewise be piled with prawns as the only type of seafood that I actually enjoy.

• Like 1

"It was funny to watch the value chasers, they were pigging out on large plates of PRAWNS. Can't blame them, makes sense, but I like more variety."

Not necessarily value chasers as you disparagingly call them, I for one am not partial to seafood in general but would go to a place like this for my wife's benefit. My plate would likewise be piled with prawns as the only type of seafood that I actually enjoy.

OK, fine, but that's what it looks like. There is red meat (and chicken) to grill as well as non-seafood items on the main dishes station. In any case, I would say try it now if you're ever going to try it as it is so not worth the regular price.

On buffets that have smoked salmon, I appear "value conscious" as well ... giggle.gif

Edited by Jingthing

I'd like to recommend Supnay Northern Lanna Cuisine, a new restaurant on Pattaya 3rd Road, a short walk north of Pattaya Tai Road, on the East side, 100 meters south of 3rd Road's soi 22. It's open-air, small with only ten tables, and a small menu. I like small menus, as that shows they do only what they can do well. Supnay is open from 1130 to 2300 every day. It's owned by a Nepalese man and his Thai wife from Lampang, who does the cooking, both nice friendly people; the husband speaks good English. They opened in January 2014.

The menu leads off with khao soy; chicken 55 baht, beef 60. Next up is kaeng hanglay; pork 60, beef 70. Third on the menu is khanom jin nam ngiao, a pork dish 45 baht. In five visits so far, I've tried, and recommend, all of these. Fourth on the menu is nam phrik aong, 80 baht. Not yet tried by me, as I liked the first three enough to eat them again. There are also grilled meatballs, 4 per skewer, beef or pork, 15 baht, served with spicy sauce and cucumber slices. A bottle of water 10 baht, tea 25, beer (large only) 70-100. Smoothies of several varieties 70 baht; I've only tried the coconut smoothie so far, as I liked it too much to order a different kind.

This is my kind of mom 'n' pop restaurant, a lovely alternative to the corporate chains. Sure hope it survives, despite a location that the likes of McDonalds clown food restaurants would never consider.

• Like 2

I'd like to recommend Supnay Northern Lanna Cuisine, a new restaurant on Pattaya 3rd Road, a short walk north of Pattaya Tai Road, on the East side, 100 meters south of 3rd Road's soi 22. It's open-air, small with only ten tables, and a small menu. I like small menus, as that shows they do only what they can do well. Supnay is open from 1130 to 2300 every day. It's owned by a Nepalese man and his Thai wife from Lampang, who does the cooking, both nice friendly people; the husband speaks good English. They opened in January 2014.

The menu leads off with khao soy; chicken 55 baht, beef 60. Next up is kaeng hanglay; pork 60, beef 70. Third on the menu is khanom jin nam ngiao, a pork dish 45 baht. In five visits so far, I've tried, and recommend, all of these. Fourth on the menu is nam phrik aong, 80 baht. Not yet tried by me, as I liked the first three enough to eat them again. There are also grilled meatballs, 4 per skewer, beef or pork, 15 baht, served with spicy sauce and cucumber slices. A bottle of water 10 baht, tea 25, beer (large only) 70-100. Smoothies of several varieties 70 baht; I've only tried the coconut smoothie so far, as I liked it too much to order a different kind.

This is my kind of mom 'n' pop restaurant, a lovely alternative to the corporate chains. Sure hope it survives, despite a location that the likes of McDonalds clown food restaurants would never consider.

I tried this place.

The KowSoy had big chunks of liver. Yuk.

My wife reported stomach problems shortly after eating here.

Edited by TaaSaparot

I tried this place.

The KowSoy had big chunks of liver. Yuk.

My wife reported stomach problems shortly after eating here.

Their chicken Khao Soy contains chicken pieces. Do you mean some chicken liver in it? Never in mine. Perhaps you are talking about another one of their dishes, the Khanom Jin Nam Ngiao which DOES contain PORK BLOOD CAKES. That's authentic but not to everyone's taste. Or maybe you do mean pork liver slices in that same dish.

Do they serve a pork Khao Soy? Not aware of that and didn't think so. If so, perhaps that's what you mean, pork liver slices in that ... in any case, chicken is the classic meat for that dish.

I hope your wife feels better now but I would be careful about broadcasting that there is any link of that to this quite clean eatery as you don't know and because you don't know, it really is unfair to taint this excellent new restaurant with that kind of insinuation.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

My wife and I have had lots of chicken KowSoy over the years but never have seen it served with slices of liver.

We picked it out, but to be honest I couldn't really enjoy it.

Stuff gives me a gag reflex.

There is another place down 3rd road a bit, on the right, that makes it the way I prefer.

My wife and I have had lots of chicken KowSoy over the years but never have seen it served with slices of liver.

We picked it out, but to be honest I couldn't really enjoy it.

Stuff gives me a gag reflex.

There is another place down 3rd road a bit, on the right, that makes it the way I prefer.

To just to confirm, you had the CHICKEN Khao Soy or do they serve a pork Khao Soy?

If the chicken, you mean chicken liver slices? If they serve pork Khao Soy (I wasn't aware of that) I guess you mean pork liver slices which are common in Thai soups.

No problem with your preference of places to eat, that's your business, but I think most people will order the CHICKEN Khao Soy at this place and I still doubt there is a liver issue with that dish there.

You have doubts about my wife and I finding liver pieces in our CHICKEN KowSoy?

Funny.

I think you're playing games now.

So it was chicken liver in the chicken soup, right? Not pork liver in a chicken dish, correct? Trying to read between the lines with you.

Sure there might have been chicken liver pieces in their chicken soup ... if you say so ...

Honestly with your attitude combined with your responses, I doubt readers will consider your reports especially credible. Also in future you might wish to be aware of the legal situation in Thailand with suggesting publicly that restaurants have caused illness.

You don't like the place for whatever reason (reading between the lines again) bloody don't go there. Is it necessary to blacken their reputation that their food causes sickness when there is no way you have proven that?

I actually have my own theory now about why many typical THAI people might form a bias against this restaurant. I won't say what my theory is. If people visit, I think they'll get it if they know Thailand well. coffee1.gif Which of course, you should do, try it and see for yourself. It's got the Jingthing THUMBS UP! thumbsup.gif Y'all should know, I don't give the Jingthing THUMBS UP! to just any old place ...

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1