The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

You have doubts about my wife and I finding liver pieces in our CHICKEN KowSoy?

Funny.

I think you're playing games now.

So it was chicken liver in the chicken soup, right? Not pork liver in a chicken dish, correct? Trying to read between the lines with you.

Sure there might have been chicken liver pieces in their chicken soup ... if you say so ...

Honestly with your attitude combined with your responses, I doubt readers will consider your reports especially credible. Also in future you might wish to be aware of the legal situation in Thailand with suggesting publicly that restaurants have caused illness.

You don't like the place for whatever reason (reading between the lines again) bloody don't go there. Is it necessary to blacken their reputation that their food causes sickness when there is no way you have proven that?

I actually have my own theory now about why many typical THAI people might form a bias against this restaurant. I won't say what my theory is. If people visit, I think they'll get it if they know Thailand well. coffee1.gif Which of course, you should do, try it and see for yourself. It's got the Jingthing THUMBS UP! thumbsup.gif Y'all should know, I don't give the Jingthing THUMBS UP! to just any old place ...

He made two factual statements...they ate at a resto...shortly thereafter his wife had stomach problems. He didn't say the former caused the ladder...people are left to draw their own conclusions. Some others have reported eating at the same problem without stomach problems shortly after. Again, people can draw their own conclusions.

In any case, this kind of food sounds gross. I'd eat at McDonald's before eating fish-borax balls in soup...yuk!

I am not aware of this place serving any kind of fish balls in soup. It's not a gourmet level place, no, but it is quite recommendable for a casual Lanna food experience in Pattaya. If we have determined there is sometimes chicken liver (or perhaps also giblets as well) served randomly with the chicken pieces in their Khao soy, so be it. These are small size dishes, not a lot of meat whatever it contains ... I would actually suggest ordering at least a few dishes to sample the variety if you're at all hungry. At their prices, it won't break the bank.

Edited by Jingthing

I am not aware of this place serving any kind of fish balls in soup. It's not a gourmet level place, no, but it is quite recommendable for a casual Lanna food experience in Pattaya. If we have determined there is sometimes chicken liver (or perhaps also giblets as well) served randomly with the chicken pieces in their Khao soy, so be it. These are small size dishes, not a lot of meat whatever it contains ... I would actually suggest ordering at least a few dishes to sample the variety if you're at all hungry. At their prices, it won't break the bank.

At those prices, mostly offal I would expect.

The Lebanese Palace restaurant on 3rd road mentioned by 2 or 3 posters on this thread :

I tried it very recently, not a food type I am familiar with but had a mixed grill, lamb & mushrooms, and lamb`s liver and some bread.( 2 of us, not just me ! )

Happy with the food, happy with the service and thought it was in a decent setting.

Busy at the time of my visit, 40 + cstomers.

I`d go back.smile.png

• Like 1

The Lebanese Palace restaurant on 3rd road mentioned by 2 or 3 posters on this thread :

I tried it very recently, not a food type I am familiar with but had a mixed grill, lamb & mushrooms, and lamb`s liver and some bread.( 2 of us, not just me ! )

Happy with the food, happy with the service and thought it was in a decent setting.

Busy at the time of my visit, 40 + cstomers.

I`d go back.smile.png

I have now been once. You're right. It's a good place with good food at fair prices. I didn't love the atmosphere when I went though. Too much shisha action going on and large tables of loud showy Russkies. Often "scene" type places don't have to have good food, but in this case, the food is good. BTW, even the SERVICE was excellent. I find that rare in these parts.

Edited by Jingthing

Did a review on Supnays a while back.Was decent food at a reasonable price.

Been back several times since and had found the same.Never had liver in the chicken khao soy at any time

Whilst I note what others say I prefer to judge for myself as everyone has different tastes in food and acceptance levels in sevice.

Plus to be honest there are some strange views/ideas/thoughts and indeed bias put forward as comments on here

• Like 2

New Iranian buffet directly across from Pattaya Beach Central Mall, 2nd Road.

Used to be an more upscale Iranian restaurant, then just a Thai seafood restaurant. now back to Iranian buffet.

Only 200 baht. Nightly, 6 to 10 pm.

The choices are about half of the choices at the other Iranian buffet, same price, on 2nd road near Boat restaurant.

Looked at the food, some of the items seem somewhat higher in quality than the other one.

Have not eaten there yet:

post-37101-0-50234600-1396202076_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

It was served up in our kowsoy

Well, I hope you complained, as it should not have been served in the Khao Soi, and I am sure the very friendly owner would appreciate you pointing it out.

But I am going to guess you didn't order the Khao Soi, but the Khanom Jeen Nam Ngiao.

This is what the big 70 baht bowl of Chicken Khao Soi looks like, with 5 chicken drumsticks in it, which is a bit OTT, but no blood cake.

post-182959-0-52839100-1396232434_thumb.

Edited by Rimmer
  • Like 1

It was served up in our kowsoy

I find that very hard to believe. But your observation has been made already, multiple times. Objective people should try the place themselves, order the Chicken Khao Soy, and see for THEMSELVES that indeed there are no pork blood cakes in the dish (or "liver" as you charmingly call it).

My good lady and I both ate khao soi at Supnay and there were no blood cakes/puddings in either dish. The food was excellent, athough the menu is short, and they don't open early enough. Staff were great with prompt service etc.

With this discussion on here, I asked her today, and she said normally the dish would not have the blood, but some restaurants in the north put it in, and she also said they will usually add it, if asked ---- altogether no big deal.

• Like 1

So they do put that stuff in their kowsoy.

Thanks for confirming that.

Not sure why they added it to our dishes as we didn't request it.

Oh. JT. My wife and I have a combined 85 years experience eating Thai food so stick your comments up your ass.

Moving on and away from pork blood cakes ...

Has anyone tried the new sort of frou frou restaurant DA VINCI on 2nd road, accross from Rompho Market, Jomtien?

I had a look at the menu, it seemed to largely be about Italian pasta dishes.

However, it had more the feel of a trendy cocktail lounge than a conventional restaurant.

I wasn't personally inspired to try it myself as I like more funky places usually and the menu looked more conventional than I expected by appearance, so curious if the food might actually be good. The prices were also lower than you would expect for the look of the place.

In the same area, there is a newish lower priced Thai restaurant called IMPRESS on Rompho Market side directly on 2nd road.

The menu looked promising.

However so far, I wasn't too impressed with IMPRESS, ha ha.

Ordered the hor muk talay in a coconut, well priced at 110 baht but what arrived was more like a coconut red curry just stuff in the shell, not a proper hor mok talay MOUSSE type dish. It also had some fish balls ... the dish is supposed to have some fish in it but fish balls is not quality. It's better at Surf Kitchen on Jomtien Beach Road, and similar priced.

The Pak Bung Fai Daeng (greens vegetable) was well cooked and seasoned, but too small a portion, at 70 baht.

I will try some other dishes there in future as there might be some good ones, but I'd suggest passing on their Hor Muk Talay.

I really do not like KISS so I am hopeful that IMPRESS can be my KISS in the area, but so far, I'm not really sold.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

I was at Da Vinci when it opened(a VERY soft opening) last Saturday. The sign on the door said "Smart casual dress required" . As I only had dumb casual dress, I was duly humbled and scurried off to the glares of the handful of

"sophistos" mulling about the entrance.

I have no idea what it is supposed to be either but it looks to me like somebody got the idea

that Jomtien is the "next Phuket". Good luck with that.

• Like 2

I was at Da Vinci when it opened(a VERY soft opening) last Saturday. The sign on the door said "Smart casual dress required" . As I only had dumb casual dress, I was duly humbled and scurried off to the glares of the handful of

I have no idea what it is supposed to be either but it looks to me like somebody got the idea

Glad I'm not the only one confused by their intent. Expanding on what I said before, they clearly spent a long time and serious money on the renovation. Then they named it for an iconic CREATIVE genius. Then I go in there and the menu doesn't appear at all creative. Really old hat dishes. Also dressing up to go down to the Rompho Market area? Well maybe if already dressed in long pants coming from immigration!

Of course, I wish them good luck, and maybe those classic dishes they are doing are done really well or in an unusual way ... but on the other hand, I do have the opinion that businesses should present a clear and understandable message to the public ... It's a hard enough business when customers UNDERSTAND what you're trying to do.

Edited by Jingthing

Do they have the requisite velvet rope and snooty doorman?

Glad I'm not the only one confused by their intent. Expanding on what I said before, they clearly spent a long time and serious money on the renovation. Then they named it for an iconic CREATIVE genius. Then I go in there and the menu doesn't appear at all creative. Really old hat dishes. Also dressing up to go down to the Rompho Market area? Well maybe if already dressed in long pants coming from immigration!

Of course, I wish them good luck, and maybe those classic dishes they are doing are done really well or in an unusual way ... but on the other hand, I do have the opinion that businesses should present a clear and understandable message to the public ... It's a hard enough business when customers UNDERSTAND what you're trying to do.

Isn't Leonardo Da Vinci reputed to have often gone about with his front privates exposed. Do you think that's what they have in mind for "smart casual"?

There was a hilarious BBC Mark Steel lecture once that stated this. Da Vinci was not an exhibitionist in the purulent sense but just thought the male member was a thing of beauty and a symbol of power and vigor and should be set free, and not hemmed in by restrictive clothing so to speak.

Khun Jingthing, please carry on the good fight against negative posters like Zig Zag and OMG. I'm a bit stunned at their nasty responses to my recommendation of Supnay. For the record, both times I ordered the chicken khao soy, there were three small chicken drumsticks included, and no pork blood or liver. The pork blood is included in the pork dish (not khao soy, maybe you were confused about what you ordered?) When I ordered the pork dish, I told the cook that I didn't like pork blood, and could she please just put one small piece in my serving. She did. I was pleased. The service was excellent. I tipped. I will return.

I wish negative posters like ZZ would find something that they like to inform us about, rather than ranting negatively.

Jingthing, I like this thread, and I like your posts. Thank you.

Negative?

I would have given them a thumbs up except they put pork blood in my kowsoy and my wife had stomach upset later that day.

Now we know they sometimes put pork blood in the kowsoy.

If you really want good kowsoy, without traveling to Chaing Mai/Rai, you need to go to the Derby King in Bangkok (on Thursdays).

The Coffee Club at the ground floor of Royal Garden is one of my favourites at the moment.

Its a little more pricey then other places, but the food is always good and the staff is efficent.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II

• Thanks 1

The Coffee Club at the ground floor of Royal Garden is one of my favourites at the moment.

Its a little more pricey then other places, but the food is always good and the staff is efficent.

For kow soy? Just for the record, do they put pork liver or blood cakes in their version?

For kow soy? Just for the record, do they put pork liver or blood cakes in their version?

I would be surprised if they served pig blood in the kowsoy.

Quite unusual to find it served in chicken kowsoy.

I have had it over 100 times but only once did I find pig blood in my chicken kowsoy.

There are some self impressed, loudmouths here that claim it never happens.

The half-price pizzas from 3-6pm at the Holiday Inn on Beach Road. Some interesting combinations (veggie Peter Piper is my fav., with sundried tomatoes, Greek olives, artichoke hearts, red peppers, and capers). Thin cracker type crust pizzas. Stick with the pizzas, however, because the rest of the menu is meh institutional hotel food.

Have a pizza and beer and enjoy the sunset over Pattaya bay.