The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Back to the food.

Cafe De Mar on Jomtien has the best pizza I have tried here. Perfection. And this is from someone who is not the greatest fan of Pizza's but I have been back for seconds in a week.

La Meranda opposite Rhompho market is my favourite restaurant. Small, friendly and good music. I can't talk for all the food as I have the same every time I go, the waitress doesn't even bother with the menu now. Spaghetti Aglio Olio it is superb. Italian chef who always comes out to say hello.

Thanks for that.

re. La Meranda has it an outdoor eating area ?

I`m not overly familiar with Jomtien, can get to Rhompo market no problem, so this restaurant plus Da Vinci mentioned by JT would be very close to each other yes ?

Cheers

It's a few blocks further south, same side as Da Vinci. Yes, I've been a number of times. No outdoor seating, it's an open shophouse place though if you like that, not aircon. I think La Taverna del Passatore in Pattaya is better though. Similar level of food and prices, also non-aircon, the latter much more focus on fresh seafood. Both casual places, not trying to be starred restaurants.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Yeah ... some people don't like to cook anything though, and of course tourists don't usually have kitchens. I prefer to order restaurant food that I can't make myself or don't want to bother with.

I guess my sarcasm wasn't dripping enough but at least it will keep me from getting a mod warning :)

Judging an Italian restaurant by their spaghetti aglio e oilo is not a very high bar. It's akin to judging a Thai place on their khow pad gai.

Yeah ... some people don't like to cook anything though, and of course tourists don't usually have kitchens. I prefer to order restaurant food that I can't make myself or don't want to bother with.

I guess my sarcasm wasn't dripping enough but at least it will keep me from getting a mod warning smile.png

Judging an Italian restaurant by their spaghetti aglio e oilo is not a very high bar. It's akin to judging a Thai place on their khow pad gai.

It was dripping enough.

I often judge casual Thai restaurants by their pad krapow.

Is that so wrong?

There may be some posting here with motives other than food so be aware

I have tried the food in this Chinese and it is the best and closest I have tasted to what we expect back home, that does not mean it is to everybody's taste, I would recommend you try it and treat the few that have commented here with a pinch of salt and that includes Jingthing who I have mostly respect for but would question his opinion and motive on this one with prejudice

I hope you do not think I had some sinister motive for commenting on the place. I was excited when I first saw the place and even posted pics of the menu. It was early, so I went back later and ate there and had an unpleasant food experience. I decided to be nice and not describe it in detail. I only said "never again." Maybe they are serving what Brits think is Chinese food. Fine, but it is not for me. I am glad you like it. Let's agree to disagree and move on.

• Like 1

I guess my sarcasm wasn't dripping enough but at least it will keep me from getting a mod warning smile.png

It was dripping enough.

I often judge casual Thai restaurants by their pad krapow.

Is that so wrongtere]

Nothing wrong but it seems to me only the first step...like if they can't get that right well... So like how are more.complicated pasta dishes like carbonara, amatriciana, al burro, maybe even the lasagna if offered. Then maybe a meat and fish dish, and then finishing with a tiramisu or panna cotta? Telling us an Italian restaurant is worth out time and baht because they make a good aglio e oilo is not saying much IMO (unless one is like the poster an that's all one eats when at Italian restos).

That's interesting about Da Vinci. I walked in late afternoon and just asked to look at the menu and made it clear that's all I was there for, would not be eating now, to the Thai staff. I was likely handed the casual "outdoor" menu which I found SURPRISING CONVENTIONAL (or boring if you like). I was not told about any other menu at any other time. Without this thread I would have no idea they have this sophisticated "other" menu which is actually what I expected from the look of the place. That's kind of weird, don't you think? A potential customer walks in and is not given the message of what they are actually doing there ... in a new business that is already not explaining their mission at all with their SIGNS? Do customers want a mystery hunt? OK, perhaps as it wasn't dinner hours they weren't serving the menu when I walked in. Still, the business lost the chance then to broadcast their message. That's not how I would run a business if I had spent a fortune creating it ... as this place clearly had. Maybe that is a "Euro" thing, hiding what you are doing. Yes, I am being snarky, I don't care. For the longest time I thought the place was going to be an ART GALLERY!

Da Vinci

Schma Vinci

What are you serving for DIN DIN?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Saras Indian and International Vegetarian Restaurant MOVES.

This is from the popular BANGKOK Saras.

Closes at Sun City Hotel, South Pattaya

OPENS at top floor, Royal Garden Plaza

post-37101-0-29429400-1396604729_thumb.j

Smaller menu, smaller restaurant, some menu additions, price adjustments as well.

www.saras.co.th

I wouldn't expect the menu at this location to be exactly as the website.

Saras Indian and International Vegetarian Restaurant MOVES.

This is from the popular BANGKOK Saras.

Closes at Sun City Hotel, South Pattaya

OPENS at top floor, Royal Garden Plaza

attachicon.gifehkg9y.jpg

Smaller menu, smaller restaurant, some menu additions, price adjustments as well.

www.saras.co.th

I wouldn't expect the menu at this location to be exactly as the website.

I hope it is a good move for them. I do like their "idli" dishes, virtually identical to what is served in Tamil Nadu.

• Like 1

That's interesting about Da Vinci. I walked in late afternoon and just asked to look at the menu and made it clear that's all I was there for, would not be eating now, to the Thai staff. I was likely handed the casual "outdoor" menu which I found SURPRISING CONVENTIONAL (or boring if you like). I was not told about any other menu at any other time. Without this thread I would have no idea they have this sophisticated "other" menu which is actually what I expected from the look of the place. That's kind of weird, don't you think? A potential customer walks in and is not given the message of what they are actually doing there ... in a new business that is already not explaining their mission at all with their SIGNS? Do customers want a mystery hunt? OK, perhaps as it wasn't dinner hours they weren't serving the menu when I walked in. Still, the business lost the chance then to broadcast their message. That's not how I would run a business if I had spent a fortune creating it ... as this place clearly had. Maybe that is a "Euro" thing, hiding what you are doing. Yes, I am being snarky, I don't care. For the longest time I thought the place was going to be an ART GALLERY!

Da Vinci

Schma Vinci

I did try Da Vinci.

They definitely have, let's say, teething problems with their PR, but worth a try.

I was not sure I was welcome to eat there until the Russian (?) (from her accent) lady allowed me into the realm of the designer ambiance restaurant.

Comments about how they have a dress policy and maybe I would prefer to sit outside (I wouldn't, too hot) got me confused.

Once inside, everything changed much for the better. The place has received a lot of design and cash invested into it. Not something that impresses me too much.

Much nicer was the service from the Italian owner (or part owner). Excellent.

The food was very nice also. Not extraordinary and I just had a couple of simple dishes, but very well prepared and very reasonable in price.

I think they need a few weeks to settle themselves in, but I will be going back.

• Like 1

So apparently they have two menus, correct?

My understanding now is that the menu I was shown was the outdoor, more casual, lower priced menu (for the unwashed masses?) and the indoor menu is the more sophisticated one, with higher prices.

Were you offered both menus inside, or only one, if so, which one? Your message confused me, reasonable prices, that doesn't sound like the high end inside menu.

They should get a website and do lots of promotion to explain their schtick, people can't read minds, and the dressing up thing to get into the inner sanctum really is pushing it for that neighborhood.

In general I like the idea of a high end restaurant offering a casual low priced option in a separate venue. That seems to be what they are doing. But even on that score (this is a popular tactic in California) I think they have a flaw. The casual menu is so boringly conventional that I don't feel it even suggests a taste of the good stuff. When it's done successfully, the dishes are actually much more SIMILAR between the high end and casual. No, not exactly the same of course, but there is running theme between the two menus, not just they are both "Italian" food.

Sure I wish them good luck, but personally I'm quite turned off by the class system they've imposed, it feels SNOBBY rather than really inclusive, partly for the reason above, give the "less classy" folks more of a taste of the great chef's unique DA VINCI "vision" if you're gonna push them out in the sun, why don't you?

Like it's some big whoop just to sit NEAR to where the interesting stuff is being served in lavish surroundings ... um, no thank you.

I know, snarky snarky.

I won't kid around here.

I don't do fine dining in Pattaya -- I find it really poor value.

But I would VERY MUCH be a potential customer for their casual version of the chef's vision, but I wasn't convinced by the menu that's really what was being sold.

So I'm not "reviewing" this restaurant because I'll probably never eat there, but I am commenting on their marketing approach, which I can see.

Edited by Jingthing

My understanding now is that the menu I was shown was the outdoor, more casual, lower priced menu (for the unwashed masses?) and the indoor menu is the more sophisticated one, with higher prices.

Were you offered both menus inside, or only one, if so, which one? Your message confused me, reasonable prices, that doesn't sound like the high end inside menu.

They should get a website and do lots of promotion to explain their schtick, people can't read minds, and the dressing up thing to get into the inner sanctum really is pushing it for that neighborhood.

In general I like the idea of a high end restaurant offering a casual low priced option in a separate venue. That seems to be what they are doing. But even on that score (this is a popular tactic in California) I think they have a flaw. The casual menu is so boringly conventional that I don't feel it even suggests a taste of the good stuff. When it's done successfully, the dishes are actually much more SIMILAR between the high end and casual. No, not exactly the same of course, but there is running theme between the two menus, not just they are both "Italian" food.

Sure I wish them good luck, but personally I'm quite turned off by the class system they've imposed, it feels SNOBBY rather than really inclusive, partly for the reason above, give the poor folks more of a taste if you're gonna push them out in the sun, why don't you?

I know, snarky snarky.

I was shown only one menu, with simple dishes and reasonable prices. To make it more clear, I ordered a beef carpaccio, very well prepared, didn't have to look for the parmesan under the last piece of meet as usual, there was plenty of it. I think 240 Baht. Plus a pasta dish, 200 Baht.

To me, in that kind or restaurant that is more than reasonable.

After "fighting" my way in, I wanted something simple anyway and they delivered it very nicely.

Maybe there is a different menu outside.

Worth trying, maybe a few weeks from now they will have sorted out that "inside" "outside" thing

• Like 1

The inside/outside thing is their entire strategy.

Hiso - Loso , Upstairs - Downstairs, Inside - Outside ... I'm on a roll.

I am still not sure whether you saw the menu I saw or not which was definitely the casual food, not fine dining menu.

Again, it was shown to me inside, it was not dinner hours, and I was not dressed at all properly for their indoor dress code.

Was there risotto on it?

If so, that was the fine dining menu (at least I think so).

It doesn't sound like a 200 baht pasta dish would be on a fine dining menu.

OK, I have to ask, what's with the RAINBOW FLAG in their signage? Is this supposed to be a gay restaurant, as that's a gay RAINBOW flag?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

The inside/outside thing is their entire strategy.

Hiso - Loso , Upstairs - Downstairs, Inside - Outside ... I'm on a roll.

I am still not sure whether you saw the menu I saw or not which was definitely the casual food, not fine dining menu.

Again, it was shown to me inside, it was not dinner hours, and I was not dressed at all properly for their indoor dress code.

Was there risotto on it?

If so, that was the fine dining menu (at least I think so).

It doesn't sound like a 200 baht pasta dish would be on a fine dining menu.

OK, I have to ask, what's with the RAINBOW FLAG in their signage? Is this supposed to be a gay restaurant, as that's a gay RAINBOW flag?

I will be going there again soon, maybe next week, before running away from Songkran and I'll try to check.

The pasta dish was penne gorgonzola, with a very satisfactory amount of sauce, heavy enough on cheese (and I like that strong) on it and cooked properly. I was also a bit surprised at the price.

I don't remember if risottos where on the menu, I'll try to pass on a bit more information.

Didn't even notice the rainbow flag. Surely nothing to do with the sort of welcoming Russian maitre d' (or maybe yes).

• Like 1

!!!!Pommes!!!!

Thappraya road Jomtien

South of Thepprasit and North of Jomtien Complex, east side of street.

It should be hard to miss, the signage is probably the among the TALLEST in the province!

This is a very cheerful sophisticated modern cafe concept.

I would describe the general theme of the menu to be Mediterranean-ish plus.

Prices either moderate or sometimes a tad high but understandable for the jazzy decor.

It really looks like it could be in Provincetown or Nice ...

A cool place to hang out for sure!

Varied menu.

Breakfast specials, at least one cheap set and then more interesting sets over 200 baht, including coffee, and free OJ before noon.

Wide range of coffee drinks and fresh fruit juices.

Panini menu.

Pastas menu.

Soups menu ... including French onion

Salad menu, for example Nicoise.

Crepes menu. All sweet. Unfortunately, no savory. I think they missed the boat on that, where in Jomtien can you get savory French crepes? You can get sweet crepes on the street.

A few Israeli style dishes such as Shakshuka for breakfast. As far as I know the only place to get Shakshuka (or its Turkish/Arabic cousins) in Jomtien. I think I recall seeing hummus too, but not entirely sure.

Honestly, I'm a bare bones no nonsense all about the food expat type and don't really need to feel I'm on a Riviera holiday by the decor of a restaurant (and I don't want to pay for that feeling either) ... and there isn't a lot that I personally feel I must eat at this place BUT I think they've done a SUPER great job with the decor and the menu is impressively coherent and intelligent ... so I kind of noticed they aren't getting as much business as you might expect for such a major new opening.

So if such a place appeals, why not try it out? At least for a coffee?

If/when you do, please come on back and describe your experience with the food you order.

In case you don't know what Shakshuka is, it's basically eggs poached in a spicy tomato sauce (not only chilies) served with bread. You can also find it at My Place Israeli restaurant (Soi Beuakow) and the Turkish version (Menemen) at local Turkish restaurants.

To me, it's like Middle Eastern Huevos Rancheros (the Mexican egg dish).

Shakshuka NOT from Pommes:

post-37101-0-50543200-1396708412_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

i know its been mentioned before but, "Everyday is Fryday" in new Plaza (2 doors from the Golden Ferret), fish and chips for 99b not only great value, but great tasting too.

The Jolly Fryer on Diana is the same price for their local white-fish fry, which is way better than the 2x imported cod.

Sure I wish them good luck, but personally I'm quite turned off by the class system they've imposed, it feels SNOBBY rather than really inclusive, partly for the reason above, give the poor folks more of a taste if you're gonna push them out in the sun, why don't you?

I know, snarky snarky.

I was shown only one menu, with simple dishes and reasonable prices. To make it more clear, I ordered a beef carpaccio, very well prepared, didn't have to look for the parmesan under the last piece of meet as usual, there was plenty of it. I think 240 Baht. Plus a pasta dish, 200 Baht.

To me, in that kind or restaurant that is more than reasonable.

After "fighting" my way in, I wanted something simple anyway and they delivered it very nicely.

Maybe there is a different menu outside.

Worth trying, maybe a few weeks from now they will have sorted out that "inside" "outside" thing

You must have been given the outside menu! My garden salad was 300 baht and this is the least expensive. My sausage risotto was 460 baht.

• Like 1

Da Vinci

Schma Vinci

I did try Da Vinci.

They definitely have, let's say, teething problems with their PR, but worth a try.

I was not sure I was welcome to eat there until the Russian (?) (from her accent) lady allowed me into the realm of the designer ambiance restaurant.

Comments about how they have a dress policy and maybe I would prefer to sit outside (I wouldn't, too hot) got me confused.

Once inside, everything changed much for the better. The place has received a lot of design and cash invested into it. Not something that impresses me too much.

The food was very nice also. Not extraordinary and I just had a couple of simple dishes, but very well prepared and very reasonable in price.

I think they need a few weeks to settle themselves in, but I will be going back.

I agree with these comments. I know the contractor that did the build out and there were delays because so many of the materials were imported. The place reminds me a little of Manhattans. At night the lighting is spectacular. There is a dining room menu and a less expensive bar menu. As mentioned the cheapest salad was 300 baht. I had a filet steak that was very good and cooked perfectly. The veggies were delicious not the standard fare served at so many Brit restaurants here. The Italian owners import expensive wines, a glass of their less expensive red was 420 baht. Imported bottled Italian water was 120 baht. The menu itself doesn't provide enough information. I had to ask what came with the main course. The new cashier had some problems too. Prices include VAT but 5% gratuity is added. This is place is in a soft opening and it is still a work in progress. The owner is serving as they still don't have properly trained Thai staff like Mata Hari. Will I return?... Yes, in time, because the food was very good(the kitchen knows what it is doing) but they first must get all the kinks worked out.

i know its been mentioned before but, "Everyday is Fryday" in new Plaza (2 doors from the Golden Ferret), fish and chips for 99b not only great value, but great tasting too.

The Jolly Fryer on Diana is the same price for their local white-fish fry, which is way better than the 2x imported cod.

Jolly Friar is not on Soi Diana Inn, but Soi Leng Kee.

And it was neither better or the same price as Everyday is a Fryday, the last time I was there.

And it was neither better or the same price as Everyday is a Fryday, the last time I was there.

To me, soi Diana runs the lenght to 3rd Road so it is SOI DIANA! As for the fish and chips, Ok, B 100 is not the same as B99; as to to your opinion, well it's like <deleted> as they say...

Da Vinci

Schma Vinci

I did try Da Vinci.

I agree with these comments. I know the contractor that did the build out and there were delays because so many of the materials were imported. The place reminds me a little of Manhattans. At night the lighting is spectacular. There is a dining room menu and a less expensive bar menu. As mentioned the cheapest salad was 300 baht. I had a filet steak that was very good and cooked perfectly. The veggies were delicious not the standard fare served at so many Brit restaurants here. The Italian owners import expensive wines, a glass of their less expensive red was 420 baht. Imported bottled Italian water was 120 baht. The menu itself doesn't provide enough information. I had to ask what came with the main course. The new cashier had some problems too. Prices include VAT but 5% gratuity is added. This is place is in a soft opening and it is still a work in progress. The owner is serving as they still don't have properly trained Thai staff like Mata Hari. Will I return?... Yes, in time, because the food was very good(the kitchen knows what it is doing) but they first must get all the kinks worked out.

There's been a fine dining Italian restaurant in Jomtien for years already called Gian's on Thepraya adjacent to Bruno's. Great food and decor and very personable Italian host names Guido. No need for this new place.

• Thanks 1

To me, soi Diana runs the lenght to 3rd Road so it is SOI DIANA! As for the fish and chips, Ok, B 100 is not the same as B99; as to to your opinion, well it's like <deleted> as they say...

Well maybe to you, Soi Leng Kee is the same as Soi Diana and B149 is the same as B99. But you know, facts are facts.

Opinions may differ, but in my opinion the fish and chips in New Plaza is both better and cheaper :)

Da Vinci

Schma Vinci

I did try Da Vinci.

There's been a fine dining Italian restaurant in Jomtien for years already called Gian's on Thepraya adjacent to Bruno's. Great food and decor and very personable Italian host names Guido. No need for this new place.

I'm a fan and a regular of Gian's and I recommend it but like 7-11's you can never have enough fine Italian restaurants. Whether Davinci's joins the upper tier is the big question.

No, its SOI DIANA INN!, named after the long standing hotel on the corner, and only runs to Soi Buakhao.

• Like 1