The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Thanks for the food info on Pommes.

Not at all surprised they have good food. Rather would have been surprised if it wasn't good.

Just to note the free tiny fresh OJ offer in breakfast sets is good only until NOON.

I know it's a nitpick, but this is a holiday resort with world famous NIGHTLIFE

... NOON, so brutal,

Like to recommend the new Iranian buffet at Pardis restaurant, on 2nd Road east side, across from Central / Hilton, next to Madras Darbar Indian restaurant.

Pardis has been there a long time, but I'd never tried their menu offerings. I like affordable buffets tho, and this is a good one. Only 200 baht net, and it is available all day and evening long, from noon to 10 pm. every day.

Pardis is aircon cool, quiet music, no smoking. There is a table with veggie offerings to make your own salad, and a yummy tomato-cucumber salad, along with a selection of fruits. It's a no-frills buffet, with no sweets, no ice cream, which I appreciate. One can actually try almost everything, without feeling over-full afterward.

There are 2 kinds of rice, 3 kinds of potato, 2 of chicken, 2 beef, 2 pasta, fish, dal, veggies, and bread. I especially enjoyed the chicken stew, with the tenderest melt-in-your-mouth carrots, and the beef stew. The fish was cut in bite-size pieces, no bones. Potato salad had me going for seconds. Veggies were heavy on broccoli and cauliflower, my favorites.

I like eating only one real meal per day, mid-afternoon. This helps me control my waistline, and gives me time to take a long walk post-meal; better than sleeping on it.

• Like 2

I've been meaning to try the new Pardis buffet and thanks for the detailed info.

HOWEVER, I am not really sure it's on offer at the hours you say.

They have a big sign out front saying dinner starts at 6:00 PM. Closes at 10 PM I think.

Wasn't aware of lunch. Makes sense.

That's why I haven't tried it yet, have gotten there later and the food starts to get tired looking later.

With buffets, going earlier has benefits.

Oh, one question, was free drinking water and/or tea offered?

Picture of the Pardis buffet outdoor sign with dinner hours here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/608166-the-hit-and-run-restaurant-review-thread/?p=7629932

Edited by Jingthing

Noon to 10 pm. are the new hours. When I tried the Pardis buffet last week, for the first time, it was 6 to 10. So they have extended the hours, hopefully indicating success. All the food was fresh both times I ate there, and I noticed the cooks bringing out fresh portions several times while I ate during early evening.

No free drinks on offer, but as I like to bring my own bottle of water, I sipped on that while eating, with no objections from staff -- quite unlike the lunch buffet at Hilton, where they insisted I buy a bottle of their water, at 70 baht I think it was. I no longer eat at Hilton, as I'm a bit of a frugal Freddy, pro-small business, anti-corporate chains.

• Like 2

OK, thanks for the update on the hours. It sounds like you know. Sorry for doubting before. I also applaud you for your boldness in bringing an outside drink to a restaurant. I just can't bring myself to ever do that ... but of course in many places it's definitely forbidden.

I know it's not cool to bring one's own water into many restaurants, especially the expensive ones. So I normally avoid eating in them.

Still, I figure I am buying their food, affording them a profit, I hope. In some small restaurants, that I tend to frequent, when they ask me what I want to drink, I say nothing, as I have my bottle of water with me. Sometimes they let me be to eat their food and drink my water; in other restaurants, they proffer a free glass of water with ice. These are restaurants I tend to return to.

When I was working in Bangkok in the '90s, free water provided with meals was more commonly given. Not so much these days. Buffets often encourage / demand customers order a drink. So, in my frugally necessary perspective, Pardis' permissive policy is a big plus.

Then there are the food courts that provide free water, like the food court in Big C Extra on Pattaya Klang, where I often eat. There is a free water machine where I shamelessly refill several bottles with their free clean drinking water before buying some cheap delicious Thai food; eating and drinking happily, while thinking how impossible such inexpensive indulgences would be back in my doomed homeland, the US of A.

• Like 1

!!!!Pommes!!!!

Thappraya road Jomtien

South of Thepprasit and North of Jomtien Complex, east side of street.

It should be hard to miss, the signage is probably the among the TALLEST in the province!

This is a very cheerful sophisticated modern cafe concept.

I would describe the general theme of the menu to be Mediterranean-ish plus.

Prices either moderate or sometimes a tad high but understandable for the jazzy decor.

It really looks like it could be in Provincetown or Nice ...

A cool place to hang out for sure!

Varied menu.

Breakfast specials, at least one cheap set and then more interesting sets over 200 baht, including coffee, and free OJ before noon.

Wide range of coffee drinks and fresh fruit juices.

Panini menu.

Pastas menu.

Soups menu ... including French onion

Salad menu, for example Nicoise.

Crepes menu. All sweet. Unfortunately, no savory. I think they missed the boat on that, where in Jomtien can you get savory French crepes? You can get sweet crepes on the street.

A few Israeli style dishes such as Shakshuka for breakfast. As far as I know the only place to get Shakshuka (or its Turkish/Arabic cousins) in Jomtien. I think I recall seeing hummus too, but not entirely sure.

Honestly, I'm a bare bones no nonsense all about the food expat type and don't really need to feel I'm on a Riviera holiday by the decor of a restaurant (and I don't want to pay for that feeling either) ... and there isn't a lot that I personally feel I must eat at this place BUT I think they've done a SUPER great job with the decor and the menu is impressively coherent and intelligent ... so I kind of noticed they aren't getting as much business as you might expect for such a major new opening.

So if such a place appeals, why not try it out? At least for a coffee?

If/when you do, please come on back and describe your experience with the food you order.

In case you don't know what Shakshuka is, it's basically eggs poached in a spicy tomato sauce (not only chilies) served with bread. You can also find it at My Place Israeli restaurant (Soi Beuakow) and the Turkish version (Menemen) at local Turkish restaurants.

To me, it's like Middle Eastern Huevos Rancheros (the Mexican egg dish).

Shakshuka NOT from Pommes:

attachicon.gifShakshuka_011.jpg

I had an English breakfast at Pommes this morning. Highly recommended,food was very good with nice touches included. The breakfast came with a cucumber /tomato salad, a basket of bread with homemade jam, fresh oj (very small), small glass of water (great for taking pills). Service good. 149 baht. They have waffles and omelets which I have try next time.

Edit: no Russian on the menu which might be a business mistake considering the number of Russians using the nearby baht buses.

The picture you post is so not an english breakfast!!! Could not be further away if you tried. An English breakfast usually consists of fried eggs, proper bacon, sausages, fried bread, tomatoes, beans and possibly black pudding, mushrooms or chips. Tea and toast. Salad?????? There are English men weeping, have a heart (attack)!

• Like 1

!!!!Pommes!!!!

Thappraya road Jomtien

It should be hard to miss, the signage is probably the among the TALLEST in the province!

Prices either moderate or sometimes a tad high but understandable for the jazzy decor.

Varied menu.

Breakfast specials, at least one cheap set and then more interesting sets over 200 baht, including coffee, and free OJ before noon.

Panini menu.

Pastas menu.

Crepes menu. All sweet. Unfortunately, no savory. I think they missed the boat on that, where in Jomtien can you get savory French crepes? You can get sweet crepes on the street.

A few Israeli style dishes such as Shakshuka for breakfast. As far as I know the only place to get Shakshuka (or its Turkish/Arabic cousins) in Jomtien. I think I recall seeing hummus too, but not entirely sure.

Honestly, I'm a bare bones no nonsense all about the food expat type and don't really need to feel I'm on a Riviera holiday by the decor of a restaurant (and I don't want to pay for that feeling either) ... and there isn't a lot that I personally feel I must eat at this place BUT I think they've done a SUPER great job with the decor and the menu is impressively coherent and intelligent ... so I kind of noticed they aren't getting as much business as you might expect for such a major new opening.

If/when you do, please come on back and describe your experience with the food you order.

In case you don't know what Shakshuka is, it's basically eggs poached in a spicy tomato sauce (not only chilies) served with bread. You can also find it at My Place Israeli restaurant (Soi Beuakow) and the Turkish version (Menemen) at local Turkish restaurants.

I had an English breakfast at Pommes this morning. Highly recommended,food was very good with nice touches included. The breakfast came with a cucumber /tomato salad, a basket of bread with homemade jam, fresh oj (very small), small glass of water (great for taking pills). Service good. 149 baht. They have waffles and omelets which I have try next time.

Edit: no Russian on the menu which might be a business mistake considering the number of Russians using the nearby baht buses.

The picture you post is so not an english breakfast!!! Could not be further away if you tried. An English breakfast usually consists of fried eggs, proper bacon, sausages, fried bread, tomatoes, beans and possibly black pudding, mushrooms or chips. Tea and toast. Salad?????? There are English men weeping, have a heart (attack)!

It's their version of an English breakfast (with a French /Mediterranean twist?) and they cook the eggs, meat/bacon any way you like. Can't remember a better tasting breakfast in this area with the possible exception of Ogaras on Pratumnak.

Edited by ThaiBob

!!!!Pommes!!!!

Thappraya road Jomtien

Varied menu.

Panini menu.

Pastas menu.

It's their version of an English breakfast (with a French /Mediterranean twist?) and they cook the eggs, meat/bacon any way you like. Can't remember a better tasting breakfast in this area with the possible exception of Ogaras on Pratumnak.

I did a review of this place a while back but it got buried. One thing that is strange is the 99 Baht specials posted on a sign just outside the cafe.

Most do not include coffee which is about 70 Baht. But if you actually read their menu , you can get a better deal just by ordering the English breakfast for example as it includes coffee. They need to work on that.

On the plus side, the croissant was excellent and the raspberry jam was NOT the processed junk they usually serve. The Salads that come with the eggs are an interesting twist and have a very light dressing on them. They balance the meal nicely. A nice alternative to the darker Continental bakery right beside it.

Edited by BugJackBaron
  • Like 2

i know its been mentioned before but, "Everyday is Fryday" in new Plaza (2 doors from the Golden Ferret), fish and chips for 99b not only great value, but great tasting too.

The Jolly Fryer on Diana is the same price for their local white-fish fry, which is way better than the 2x imported cod.

Jolly Friar is not on Soi Diana Inn, but Soi Leng Kee.

And it was neither better or the same price as Everyday is a Fryday, the last time I was there.

To me, soi Diana runs the lenght to 3rd Road so it is SOI DIANA! As for the fish and chips, Ok, B 100 is not the same as B99; as to to your opinion, well it's like <deleted> as they say...

No, its SOI DIANA INN!, named after the long standing hotel on the corner, and only runs to Soi Buakhao.

I stand corrected...to myself. It's B 79 and 99; and very good.

Lantern Indian buffet on 3rd road opp. Tony's gym. 200 baht net. The buffet is in the kitchen so the servers bring you a bowl of each dish they have + nan bread. Then you can re order as much as you like. Includes free ice cream. Open 11-11. Best deal in Pattaya.

• Like 1

Lantern Indian buffet on 3rd road opp. Tony's gym. 200 baht net. The buffet is in the kitchen so the servers bring you a bowl of each dish they have + nan bread. Then you can re order as much as you like. Includes free ice cream. Open 11-11. Best deal in Pattaya.

The buffet is always on all their hours or if not which hours?

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

When I went the buffet was in the main restaurant area. For me the whole point is being able to pick out the things I like and not to have them served so I dont like the sound of what you had. What about the papadums and salad? Maybe the buffet is laid out in the restaurant on certain days/times?

When I went it was pretty much the same thing that they previously did at Spices II. Not bad, but not brilliant either. The lentil dahl dish was particularly watery and tasteless; more like thin soup which was a shame.

The buffet is always on all their hours or if not which hours?

It's all you can eat from 11-11. The buffet is in the kitchen and you are served all their dishes. Re-order the ones you like. I had 3 bowls of the masala and 2 bowls of the curry chicken.

I recommended going after sunset as the restaurant was very hot at 4pm when I visited.

There is a very good food bar/restaurant called Natan's just 30 meters from the Hanuman statue when heading towards the beach, left side.

French/Mediterranean and Thai food, reasonably priced. Never been disappointed there.

• Thanks 1

There is a very good food bar/restaurant called Natan's just 30 meters from the Hanuman statue when heading towards the beach, left side.

French/Mediterranean and Thai food, reasonably priced. Never been disappointed there.

It's always rated high on Trip Adviser. I went once. whistling.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been there, food ok but nothing special. It's open air so can be hot like a night like tonight. I prefer Tapas East Lounge in the Jomtien Complex.

• Thanks 1

Been there, food ok but nothing special. It's open air so can be hot like a night like tonight. I prefer Tapas East Lounge in the Jomtien Complex.

Some details would be nice...

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's always rated high on Trip Adviser. I went once. whistling.gif

Out of curiosity, why only once?

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I just didn't fancy the joint.

So, either you're homophobic or you just don't like French people.

Which is it?whistling.gif

Natans Been twice and the service was so bad I can't remember the food. My friend, however goes every other day when he is in town. Swears by the filet mignon.

East has an excellent 3 course menu, I think 399 baht. Small choice but excellent. And their Sangria is the best I have ever had, honestly. I believe they put 7 or 9 spirits in it. Its not cheap but superb. The owner is a lovely guy too.

I have also had the chateaubriand, the foie gras and the caviar. All good and not too bad price wise. My ex had the same every time she went, mussels in tomato sauce. She loved it. The service staff are flirty queens who are fun and attentive. I always feel welcome there.

Edited by Sigurris
  • Thanks 1

IMHO, the Danmark Hotel/Restaurant (soi 8, aka. soi Whitehouse) has a great buffet breakfast. It is a "hit." No, I have no financial interest in the place and do not know the owner. Here is a pic showing only some of the food options. It is mostly European style, but if you want to add an American-style breakfast to it, they will make you bacon and eggs or an omelette of your choice. You can eat healthy (e.g. fruits and cereal), but the "fattening" offerings are a bit tempting. It is 160 baht. Very friendly staff and nice outdoor space (with lots of fans) for seating.

post-110622-0-20591000-1397716649_thumb.

• Thanks 1