The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

2 hours ago, petemoss said:

I and most people find the food in kiss on 2nd Road disgusting. have done for years. YMMV.

“Most people”.... don’t be so arrogant as to think that you enough people to make a difference.

Fortunately for them you (and this mass of people) don’t make a scrap of difference to the success of Kiss - where it is often impossible to find a seat. 

At the end of the day it is exactly as stated by another poster - personal taste ........ if you like it then go there, if you don’t then stay away.

I will go there when it suits me, as I will go to Cafe des Amis, Patricks, Laongs, Beefeater et al.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jip99 said:

“Most people”.... don’t be so arrogant as to think that you enough people to make a difference.

Fortunately for them you (and this mass of people) don’t make a scrap of difference to the success of Kiss - where it is often impossible to find a seat. 

Mostly Russians who just dont know any better....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, balo said:

Nothing wrong with Kiss. I can recommend the branch in Naklua. It's a clean, hygienic place and the staff in the kitchen knows what theyre doing.

Sent from my SM-J610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Kiss is divisive. I think there is nothing particularly wrong with their food but I still don't eat there! 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, petemoss said:

The only thing wrong with Kiss is that the food is disgusting and overpriced. And you're wrong about MSG, it's the staple seasoning in Kiss. There are only 2 reasons to go in Kiss, you're drunk, it's 3am and you and a random bar girl are starving or you're walking up Soi Diana to 2nd road and you have to walk through the restaurant because they've completely usurped the sidewalk.

Best food for taste and value in Pattaya at the moment, At The Table, 5th floor, Central. Thai/Japanese fusion food. Delicious and interesting. IMO the pizzas are the best in Pattaya too. Wafer thin with excellent tomato sauce and tasty toppings.

Sorry but I find your opinion, which is anyway just an opinion, ridiculous.

Kiss 4 restaurants are permanently packed, so all foreigners and Thai eating there would be stupid...

Kiss is clearly the best choice for anyone who wants reliable Thai food at a correct price. And I am not idiot enough to eat in malls, sorry.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jip99 said:

At the end of the day it is exactly as stated by another poster - personal taste ........ if you like it then go there, if you don’t then stay away.

I will go there when it suits me, as I will go to Cafe des Amis, Patricks, Laongs, Beefeater et al.

wrong, it's not just personal taste, it's a fact. NOWHERE I have seen any restaurant that ALWAYS have the correct ingredients for my fav dishes, even after eating it hundreds times. Most basic Thai restaurant owners are idiots, but not kiss, the owner perfectly knows how to manage a restaurant, THIS IS A FACT. And poeople who do not like it just know nothing about good Thai food at correct price.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, myjawe said:

wrong, it's not just personal taste, it's a fact. NOWHERE I have seen any restaurant that ALWAYS have the correct ingredients for my fav dishes, even after eating it hundreds times. Most basic Thai restaurant owners are idiots, but not kiss, the owner perfectly knows how to manage a restaurant, THIS IS A FACT. And poeople who do not like it just know nothing about good Thai food at correct price.

I won’t argue with that.

The haters will still hate though.

As I've joked before, there are 500 Indian restaurants in town and who is to say there aren't as who has actually counted them all much less tried them all?

Yeah the vast majority are nothing to write home to Pune about but here we are.

On that note I tried out a few of the "new crop" of Indian restaurants on 2nd road north of Pattaya Tai.

First there is Handi.

Don't confuse with the other newer place (connected to a hotel) also with Handi in the name in the 2nd road Indian/Arab near walking street district. I also tried a thali there but the experience was so idiosyncratic that I don't feel I can even comment on it.

So at the Handi north of Pattaya Tai, I had tandoori chicken, yellow dal tadka, and a paratha.

The "one half" tandoori chicken was well priced for the local market at 180 but when it arrived it turned out not so well priced. On a sizzling platter, not sizzling, flavor was OK, but the portion pretty shockingly small. One leg and another section of some other body part that I can't identity. 

The dal was OK but tasted too much of salad oil. 

The bread was decent. 

Given the "500" other local Indian restaurants no compelling reason to return.

Also tried a non-veg thali at Chak de India. The chef there named Rawat appears to have a British following from his other previous Indian restaurants including Naandos on 3rd road. The flavors were good. It was good enough to return to try other menu items and yes I've had his food before and liked it before. There is a distinctive style to it. 

Pattaya 2nd road, opposite UOB bank

Also tried the Indian place Little India that's been here for many years at Soi Diana (same "mall" as Kiss). They have daily promotion for 230 including choices like samosa, breads, rice and the daily chicken curry. I was attracted to the Saturday choice which features a special Indian pepper. The curry itself was quite good with a generous portion of well cooked chicken.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d7910272-Reviews-Little_India_Restaurant-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As has been mentioned before, the Central Pattaya Beach basement food court has been moved and "upgraded" from the 2nd road side to the Beach road side.

I only had a cursory walkthrough of the new setup. What's happening in the old space?

Anyway, here was my initial impression of the "new" food court, beach side which may or may not be fully accurate as I haven't done a thorough "study" of it:

-- The dishes sold are either exactly or almost exactly the SAME as the old location

-- Mostly the same stalls doing the same dishes

-- Very slick repackaging of signage and branding to give the superficial impression that the food is much better. But if it's the same stalls doing the same dishes, color me SKEPTICAL. 

-- I didn't compare the prices. I generally do my food court eating at T21 now. Perhaps this change was a defensive reaction to T21? I assume though that they raised some prices which would be odd considering they were ALREADY considerably more expensive than T21. Can someone confirm or refute?

-- Tourists not knowing it's the same food rebranded will feel the first impression that this is a high quality (semi-luxury) venue. Exciting! (For them.)

-- Expats and Thai residents that knew the old food in the old setting won't likely be so easily fooled or excited. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, myjawe said:

...and in one fell swoop you have lodged your foot permanently in your mouth.

You asked the question about other restaurants and I made some recommendations, but have you taken the time to try them?

Was it just your intention to advertise for the KISS group?

I've eaten there one a few occasions and none of them memorable. Not to criticise overly, but in my opinion I find tastier food elsewhere.

I really don't the 'plasticky' frozen prawn product that they use. 

If I want the real thing, I go the the 'Long Bridge' restaurant in Naklua. Six chunky fresh prawns in a Prawn fried rice for 40 baht.

How much does KISS charge for the same?

So instead of making crazy statements, just enjoy what you enjoy. As I wrote earlier, there is no accounting for taste. 

You like what you like. So no point in asking about other places if you have no intention of trying them.

For me, KISS is just bulk standard Thai food.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes. The Kisses. They are like appliances. Predictable.  Always at the ready. They do the job. Fill the stomach for not much money. They're here, they're not queer, get used to it, though like I said I just don't go. Too many other more interesting places to try and return to is my reason. 

Interesting places for Thai food ? you must be joking.

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

Has anyone actually called it a “best restaurant “ - sorry, I missed that.

Kiss is a straightforward, no-nonsense, basic Thai eatery. It consistently serves reasonable food at very fair prices. 

It is like a comfortable pair of slippers, or a 7-11......... you know what to expect and it is consistent.

That makes it worthy of review.

Yes, its for me the mcdonald of thai food ! reliable and always open !

But then some people will argue that Mcdo is not hamburgers...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, myjawe said:

Yes, its for me the mcdonald of thai food ! reliable and always open !

But then some people will argue that Mcdo is not hamburgers...

Now that's a big turnaround!

From your description, the best budget Thai restaurant in the whole of Thailand, to the McDonalds of Thai food.

Proof positive that one shouldn't post when drunk.

4 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Has anyone actually called it a “best restaurant “ - sorry, I missed that.

Kiss is a straightforward, no-nonsense, basic Thai eatery. It consistently serves reasonable food at very fair prices. 

It is like a comfortable pair of slippers, or a 7-11......... you know what to expect and it is consistent.

That makes it worthy of review.

Yes...myjawe

Unfortunately in this case, you hitched your wagon to the crazy horse. ????

He appears to have calmed down and now describes it as the McDonalds of Thai food.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Yes...myjawe

Unfortunately in this case, you hitched your wagon to the crazy horse. ????

He appears to have calmed down and now describes it as the McDonalds of Thai food.

Never was much good at cowboys and Indians...????

The Bodega Bar sai song/ corner soi 13. i was impressed by the cold plate meal, ham, palma ham, salami , italian cheese. bread innovative and low key.....about 160 baht.

The sunnisa restaurant on soi cozy beach / Kasetsin 3 has move 50 yards across the road and is now next to the blue olive, the doesgood burgers and a Mexican food night on wednesdays

Edited by sunnyboy2018
  • Like 1

After all these years, I finally got around to trying the Cabbage fried in fish sauce (Galamplee Pat Nampla) at Suttangrak seafood restaurant far out Jomtien Beach road. At 170 baht it is described as FAMOUS on their menu. Well, what can I say? We're talking cabbage here. That's the only ingredient other than the seasoning. It was very good cabbage and it had very good chi or the wok. I do think it's kind of funny that the cabbage is their most famous dish. I don't expect to have a better cabbage fried in fish sauce anywhere else, but on the other hand I don't expect to wake up in the middle of the night craving CABBAGE of any kind either. (Don't ask.)

BTW, sorry to say their crab fried rice looked like the crab meat had taken a holiday. :stoner:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d3176958-Reviews-Suttangrak-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 2

I won't name and shame but I went to one my regular joints last night and the owner who based on his previous behavior I assumed was a very kind sweet man went on a ten minute high volume SCREAMING and YELLING tirade towards a staff member. I mean my ears were literally hurting. I don't even know if he realized I was there but he knows me as a regular customer and when he did look at me he gave me sheepish (busted) expression. It was like he was possessed with rage. Staff shouldn't need to deal with that, if the behavior he was mad about was so bad better to just fire the person.

No, I won't stop going there, the food is good, but I'll never at that "sweet" man the same!

Edited by Jingthing

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I won't name and shame but I went to one my regular joints last night and the owner who based on his previous behavior I assumed was a very kind sweet man went on a ten minute high volume SCREAMING and YELLING tirade towards a staff member. I mean my ears were literally hurting. I don't even know if he realized I was there but he knows me as a regular customer and when he did look at me he gave me sheepish (busted) expression. It was like he was possessed with rage. Staff shouldn't need to deal with that, if the behavior he was mad about was so bad better to just fire the person.

No, I won't stop going there, the food is good, but I'll never at that "sweet" man the same!

Up to you.

Abusive screaming and yelling at staff...??

I would never go there again he sounds abusive and totally disgusting.

You should have told him off for his abuse/attitude and left the place...

• Like 2