The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Thanks. Not where I'd imagined it. Now if "someone" had said in the gay complex behind Tapprya, I'd have known straight away. Will definitely give Tinnies a try. The Shack, not so much.
Up to you but I recommend saving room for dessert at O Delices French bakery on the same street.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Up to you but I recommend saving room for dessert at O Delices French bakery on the same street.

It does sound really nice, but I prefer something more substantial than a continental breakfast. Puddings are a no no for me. Been getting addicted to Bake'n Brew lately, for lunch. Croque Madame is almost as good as the real thing. Bought some nice bread from there too.

Off to Jomtien this week. 90 day report and lunch. Will have a mooch round that area.

It does sound really nice, but I prefer something more substantial than a continental breakfast. Puddings are a no no for me. Been getting addicted to Bake'n Brew lately, for lunch. Croque Madame is almost as good as the real thing. Bought some nice bread from there too.

Off to Jomtien this week. 90 day report and lunch. Will have a mooch round that area.

They have French sandwiches as well and much more. Check it out.

Ask about their famous SLATE. A very substantial meal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

They have French sandwiches as well and much more. Check it out.

Well if their true French sandwiches they'll be cheese and ham baguettes. Once spent a week wandering around Paris and cheese and ham baguettes were pretty much all that was on offer in sandwich shops. You could have cheese, ham or cheese and ham!

My usual MO is to have a large lunch then pick up a sandwich for supper. Tinnies for lunch and O Delices for a take away sandwich and a loaf of bread could be just the ticket.

Well if their true French sandwiches they'll be cheese and ham baguettes. Once spent a week wandering around Paris and cheese and ham baguettes were pretty much all that was on offer in sandwich shops. You could have cheese, ham or cheese and ham!

My usual MO is to have a large lunch then pick up a sandwich for supper. Tinnies for lunch and O Delices for a take away sandwich and a loaf of bread could be just the ticket.

No! They close at 4 pm. You've got your own mind but my advice is that if you're going to one place only in that complex go to O Delices first. Its a place that would be considered excellent in San Francisco. It's clearly one of the best French bakeries plus in Thailand. They also have meat stuffed pastry French style if you're set on a pie like thing. No I have no interest in the place. In fact I find the owners standoffish and rude in that special French way. Their coffee made with gourmet Colombian beans is excellent as well.

Chinese restaurant replacing Brunos

Tappraya Road, Jomtien

As most locals know by now long time Jomtien institution Brunos has closed. 

The sign for the replacement, a Chinese restaurant has now been erected though I'm not sure yet if they have officially opened.

Though I passionately love authentic Chinese food, to my disappointment this is specifically a HOT POT place. I know that because HOT POT is in the name of the place.

When I see that they're actually open, I'll pop in to at least have a look at their menu which of course might not be in English. 

Sometimes hot pot places have menus of other dishes too.

I also want to determine if it's a legit SICHUAN hot pot place or another kind.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Sad 2

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well don't go then.
American food is a big space for a big country with many regional variations.
But to be clear I am suggesting that their BBQ meats are worth trying. Especially the beef brisket when they have it. I really haven't done their breakfasts though I did enjoy a steak and eggs plate once at their original location.
For breakfasts in the area I do like the pancake set breakfast at Big Kahuna.

I had the beef brisket at old RMPM about a year ago and it was crap. Had beef brisket at Tinnies around the same time and it was excellent.

15 minutes ago, hackjam said:

I had the beef brisket at old RMPM about a year ago and it was crap. Had beef brisket at Tinnies around the same time and it was excellent.

OK. I've had that at both restaurants (including at the Shack) and I like the Shack better. Anyway, the Shack specializes in American style BBQ and Tinnies specializes in Aussie pies.

If you're talking the décor well Tinnies is a real sit down restaurant and The Shack is … well not really even a Shack!

Edited by Jingthing

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

No! They close at 4 pm. You've got your own mind but my advice is that if you're going to one place only in that complex go to O Delices first. Its a place that would be considered excellent in San Francisco.

And that's a recommendation for a boulangerie how? Not a problem for me, I'll be at home before 4pm, sandwich in the fridge.

6 minutes ago, petemoss said:

And that's a recommendation for a boulangerie how? Not a problem for me, I'll be at home before 4pm, sandwich in the fridge.

I do highly recommend O Delices in Jomtien Complex.

It's amazing that we have such a high quality shop in the Pattaya area. Kudos to the owners for taking the risk that the local market would appreciate and pay for the quality they offer.

BTW -- I posted an error before. They don't close at 4 PM, they close at 6 PM. But I have heard that they stop doing hot meals at 4 PM though I don't know that from personal experience.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I do highly recommend O Delices in Jomtien Complex.

It's amazing that we have such a high quality shop in the Pattaya area. Kudos to the owners for taking the risk that the local market would appreciate and pay for the quality they offer.

BTW -- I posted an error before. They don't close at 4 PM, they close at 6 PM. But I have heard that they stop doing hot meals at 4 PM though I don't know that from personal experience.

But what has San Francisco got to do with quality boulangeries? When I think of great boulangeries, I think of Paris, Nice, Marseilles even, San Francisco isn't the first place that comes to mind.

2 minutes ago, petemoss said:

But what has San Francisco got to do with quality boulangeries? When I think of great boulangeries, I think of Paris, Nice, Marseilles even, San Francisco isn't the first place that comes to mind.

That's you. Thanks for sharing.

San Francisco is one of the greatest food cities on the planet for foods of pretty much all culinary traditions, including French. 

I have an international POV. Not so provincial but you do you.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That's you. Thanks for sharing.

San Francisco is one of the greatest food cities on the planet for foods of pretty much all culinary traditions, including French. 

I have an international POV. Not so provincial but you do you.

Oh just stop will you? Ridiculous.

All those places must have been shut when I spent time on the West Coast. There's a lot of hype, but nothing that actually lived up to it.

43 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Oh just stop will you? Ridiculous.

All those places must have been shut when I spent time on the West Coast. There's a lot of hype, but nothing that actually lived up to it.

OK. I'll shut up. Montreal then. :stoner:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, petemoss said:

Have been to all those places and they are good.

But the best bread I ever had is San Fran. Especially the sourdough.

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

But the best bread I ever had is San Fran. Especially the sourdough.

I think sourdough is more of an American thing. Nice but I don't remember ever having seen it in a French boulangerie.

O delices Jomtien was selling sourdough bread before.

Not sure if they still are.

People are intentionally missing the point about the mention of San Francisco so I now see its necessary to spell it out.

Pattaya is not famous for food.

San Francisco is.

Very few foodies travel to Pattaya for the food.

Many foodies travel to San Francisco for the food.

So the comment I originally made that O Delices would be considered good in San Francisco wasn't specially about San Francisco.

It was a comparison.

Of a city not famous for food to a city that is famous for food.

A way of saying that I do not think most people expect food shops as excellent as O Delices will be found in Pattaya a city not famous for food.

I could have replaced San Francisco for any global city famous for food.

Paris? I do not know it. I am not French. Perhaps some Frenchmen can tell us whether this place would be considered good in Paris. Yes I imagine the competition with French food specifically is most intense there.

So a rather casually made statement meant to emphasize that O Delices is really really good and we're lucky to I have it here turns into what now?

10 pages of absurd hair splitting analysis and arguing?

I have a better idea. Try the place of you want. Don't try it if you don't.

Cheers

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

O delices Jomtien was selling it. Not sure if they still are.

People are intentionally missing the point about the mention of San Francisco so I now see its necessary to spell it out.

Pattaya is not famous for food.
San Francisco is.

Very few foodies travel to Pattaya for the food.

Many foodies travel to San Francisco for the food.

So the comment I originally made that O Delices would be considered good in San Francisco wasn't specially about San Francisco.

It was a comparison.

Of a city not famous for food to a city that is famous for food.

A way of saying that I do not think most people expect food shops as excellent as O Delices will be found in Pattaya a city not famous for food.

I could have replaced San Francisco for any global city famous for food.

Paris? I do not know it. I am not French. Perhaps some Frenchmen can tell us whether this place would be considered good in Paris. Yes I imagine the competition with French food specifically is most intense there.

Sorry, as a European, i would have associated New York as famous for it's food, particularly ethnic European food.

Excuse my ignorance, I must have been watching too many movies and not visiting the place.

Sorry, as a European, i would have associated New York as famous for it's food, particularly ethnic European food.

Excuse my ignorance, I must have been watching too many movies and not visiting the place.

There are at least 5 and possibly 10 US cities that rate as global foodie destinations. To debate the pros and cons of each one is completely off topic here.

This topic is limited to PATTAYA AREA RESTAURANTS.

Even Bangkok restaurants are off topic here.

You can have your opinions.

If you want to discuss details about global food destinations you can start a thread on the travel forum.

• Like 1

Your ignorance notwithstanding, there are any number of US cities that offer great selections of ethnic foods.

Wouldn't know, never been.
Super.
If you do try O Delices Jomtien as a European please let us know about your experience.

I did have one bad thing there though. The stuffed pastry with pork was too greasy. It probably was related to the way they heated it up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lust said:

Almost 5000 posts. I think this thread has lost the plot and run its course.

Yes there seem to be very few actual reviews of restaurants. What few there are are for Chinese, Korean and Indian food. I think that the best food in Thailand is Thai food. Would appreciate more reviews on restaurants serving Thai food. Either that or call it a day.

Edited by petemoss
  • Like 2