The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Yes there seem to be very few actual reviews of restaurants. What few there are are for Chinese, Korean and Indian food. I think that the best food in Thailand is Thai food. Would appreciate more reviews on restaurants serving Thai food. Either that or call it a day.
People are welcome to post about all sorts of restaurants in the Pattaya area. Of course Thai restaurants as well. Yes there are mentions of Thai restaurants on this thread but its a very long thread and older information will of course be dated, talking about closed places etc.

I would like to see more Thai restaurant items as well. But not Kiss. Kiss has been done to death.

That said if this thread isn't cutting it for you no problem. It's not required reading.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

People are welcome to post about all sorts of restaurants in the Pattaya area. Of course Thai restaurants as well. Yes there are mentions of Thai restaurants on this thread but its a very long thread and older information will of course be dated, talking about closed places etc.

I would like to see more Thai restaurant items as well. But not Kiss. Kiss has been done to death.

That said if this thread isn't cutting it for you no problem. It's not required reading.

I very recently posted a mini review of a great restaurant in Pattaya, serving Thai/Japanese fusion food. Fell on deaf ears.

This thread would be cutting it for me, I eat out a lot, love to hear about restaurants in my area, if it didn't focus on Chinese (really authentic Chinese food is not to my or most peoples taste) Korean, unless you include moo kata which Thais claim isn't Korean anyway, or Indian as there are no good/authentic Indian restaurants in Pattaya.

Edited by petemoss
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, petemoss said:

Wouldn't know, never been.

You can sample some of the US ethnic foods in Pattaya but be quick, next week they might all be already closed. Last rib standing.

Apropos is that southern US style place that was on one of the beach road sois (post office?) still there? 

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

You can sample some of the US ethnic foods in Pattaya but be quick, next week they might all be already closed. Last rib standing.

Found a great American smokehouse in Bangkok, near Patpong. Very authentic, great ribs and slaw. Their smokers had cost them a fortune. Doubt if there is anything like that in Pattaya.

I very recently posted a mini review of a great restaurant in Pattaya, serving Thai/Japanese fusion food. Fell on deaf ears.

This thread would be cutting it for me, I eat out a lot, love to hear about restaurants in my area, if it didn't focus on Chinese (really authentic Chinese food is not to my or most peoples taste) Korean, unless you include moo kata which Thais claim isn't Korean anyway, or Indian as there are no good/authentic Indian restaurants in Pattaya.
I missed that item too. What's the name of it? Not sure what kind of response you expect to posting about a restaurant here. The idea is to post it and hopefully some people read it and some of those people may be influenced to try it or not try it.

There will be no controls here on the types of Pattaya area restaurants mentioned. If there are too many mentions of Chinese places for your liking that's too bad. The places mentioned are whatever the places that people choose to mention.

Found a great American smokehouse in Bangkok, near Patpong. Very authentic, great ribs and slaw. Their smokers had cost them a fortune. Doubt if there is anything like that in Pattaya.
Have you tried Smokin Joe's on Soi Lengkee? I know they are serious about smoked meats there. Suggest the smoked beef ribs but they are very expensive.

28 minutes ago, petemoss said:

I think there was at least. One family that spent a long time in the US had a smokehouse in the dark side. Their website seems to have been recycled already. 

Might have gone the way of the dodo too.

Edited by DrTuner

I think there was at least. One family that spent a long time in the US had a smokehouse in the dark side. Their website seems to have been recycled already. 

[/url]  

Might have gone the way of the dodo too.

Closed. Good cold smoked salmon.

They weren't doing ribs.

Instead things like salmon, corned beef, pastrami.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, seasia said:

Hi

You have commented on it before. I actually did a mini review of it ( rare for me ) some time back.

First visit was with my Thai GF, we shared 4 x 1/2 mains, there is an option on most items to have a half size dish.

We had a lamb dish, very nice, meatballs, OK, nothing special, moussaka, I was not overly keen on it but nothing actually wrong with it, and a Greek salad, my GF likes them and considered it good, albeit slightly bettered by a Bangkok restaurant we have been to before.

The greek couple who run it are lovely people, the wife works the kitchen.

The husband sort of mingles.

Anyway after we had finished eating the greek lady chatted with my GF for quite some time, giving cooking tips, yes really as my GF likes cooking various food.

I chatted with the husband, various subjects.

I have returned since, last visit took a couple of friends along.

Had a mixed grill platter, huge, very good.

One friend had the moussaka, he liked it, shows how tastes vary eh ?

Lamb kebabs, fairly good.

Plenty of greek bread and fries included.I really liked the greek bread.

Mushrooms in red wine sauce was another side, excellent.

Some wine, only Mont Clair but was fairly priced.

Their drinks prices are fair, beer and water actually lower than some bar prices.

Service  excellent.

A shame about the location.

If you jump off a songthauw @ Soi Buakhao and Soi Langkee it's an easy 1/2 mile walk. Less than 15 minutes with plenty of sights along the way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jwdub said:

Pho Mr. Nam the Vietnamese Pho shop on Thappraya has just announced on Facebook that he is closing shop mid August.

Thanks for the news and assuming it's true I'm not surprised and I won't say more than that.

I will say the location could have been better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jwdub said:

Pho Mr. Nam the Vietnamese Pho shop on Thappraya has just announced on Facebook that he is closing shop mid August.

Not Surprised, obvious what was going to happen from the day he opened in that location, with that attitude.

Edited by TaaSaparot
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Not Surprised, obvious what was going to happen from the day he opened in that location, with that attitude.

OK, you win.

BTW, I got a Grab Delivery from another Vietnamese place I think on Pattaya Tai (isn't that the one you've recommended?).

Anyway, I wasn't impressed. 

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:17 PM, petemoss said:

I searched and could not find your post about the Thai/Japanese fusion food. Could you at least post now the name and location of the restaurant? I asked you to do this before and you failed to respond. I think that is poor etiquette considering you were complaining that your post got no response. I'm asking you now to help give it more attention that it may deserve. 

Edited by Jingthing

I am confused I spend 2 weeks in Pattaya not very long ago

and I had all the names of the restaurants and street names

but I could not find any of them because there are no numbers

on the streets even the taxis did not know so how you supposed

to find any restaurants

36 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

OK, you win.

BTW, I got a Grab Delivery from another Vietnamese place I think on Pattaya Tai (isn't that the one you've recommended?).

Anyway, I wasn't impressed. 

As usual, you are never quite sure where places are, or its a think, maybe, etc etc.

And of course, if its a recommendation from anyone else, you would never be impressed anyway.

Win? .... no one wins with the closure of Pho Mr.Nam.

As usual, you are never quite sure where places are, or its a think, maybe, etc etc.  

And of course, if its a recommendation from anyone else, you would never be impressed anyway.

Win? .... no one wins with the closure of Pho Mr.Nam.

OK. I looked it up.

It was Saar Der Vietnamese noodles on South Pattaya road near the Toatillah mosque.

Isn't that the place that you recommended numerous times?

I had the fresh spring rolls and bun cha and also a Thai dish.

In my opinion the food was simply not up to Mr. Pho's level but as Mr. Pho is closing I will try their Pho which I haven't yet.

Its not true that I am never sure about restaurants locations.

It's not true that I'm not open to other people's suggestions. On the contrary I am very open to them.

I do recall and you may correct me if I'm wrong that you were very negative about Mr. Pho from the start, hadn't even tried their food and predicted they would close soon.

I defended the place. You were right. Your prediction turned out to be true. That is why I said you win.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Its not true that I am never sure about restaurants locations.

It's not true that I'm not open to other people's suggestions. On the contrary I am very open to them.

Well, obviously this page shows different.

You seem to far enjoy starting spats with people that you may learn something from nowadays IMO.

• Thanks 1

Well, obviously this page shows different.   You seem to far enjoy starting spats with people that you may learn something from nowadays IMO. 

So based on the above hostile response I'm going to assume that Saar Der was the same place you've been recommending before and that you were hostile towards Mr Pho even though you hadn't tried the food. In any case I am so sorry if you don't believe me - - being impressed or not by the food at Saar Der or any other restaurant has NOTHING at all to do with how I found out about a restaurant.  

I'm not saying it was crap. But Mr Pho was better. My tastes were developed by living in heavily Vietnamese areas of the US.

31 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So based on the above hostile response I'm going to assume that Saar Der was the same place you've been recommending

Sigh .... No!

31 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

that you were hostile towards Mr Pho even though you hadn't tried the food. 

Sigh .... go back and read what I said.

Edited by TaaSaparot

Big Khauna- Update..

Returned to Chonburi and had went to one of my favorite establishments back in the day when it was Pastrami on Rye.  Brought a article from Honolulu Newspaper (June 16, 2019) and it mentioned this restaurant and had a photo along with others throughout our Universe that our associated to Hawaii food establishments worldwide.

Meet the new Owners (Jessie and her son Jackie) and they were flattered to see the actual clipping: which I knew I would be stopping by planning on giving it to James the prior American owner.     I was happy to have eaten their Cuban Sandwich and it was authentic and excellent tasting.  Little did she know I had eaten many Cuban Sandwiches in Havana in 2018.  They are keen to doing a promotion for Expats and Members of Thai Visa group.

I suggested free drink with any entrée would that lure many members to go?  As if you go once you will return most likely as they have a excellent Breakfast set and free 5G Wifi and AC.  

Your feedback on what promotion would work as they have food we all like when not eating Thai dishes.

• Like 1

I think they already include a soft drink with sandwich orders and coffee with breakfast sets.

So no offering something that is already included is not a good idea.

That is a great and very popular place for breakfast.

However it is very very slow at night.

I recently had their version of a French dip a beef and cheese sandwich that you dip in a broth.

Sad to say the quality was down from the earlier phases of the restaurant.

I have heard similar comments about their Cubano.

So my suggestion is pay more attention to quality control on the non breakfast part of the menu.

But then if things are improved then they need to get people to try it again. Not sure how.

• Like 1