The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

5 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Jim's Burgers moving.

Great, the current place has poor parking. Also explains why they stripped it to look like a prison bathroom, they likely knew they'll move and took the decor to the new place.

10 minutes ago, gargamon said:

You must have a car. Sorry but your choices are T21, Central Festival, Macdonalds drive through and delivery

Pffft. Farangs have cars. As do most of Thais that have money to eat in farang restaurants, most notably the BKK hordes in weekends. Parking is a simple requirement. Only places not having place to park nearby are in the small Pattaya core or near Hanuman in Jomthien. They are losing the the clientele with their own transport.

Tequila Sunrise. Jomtien.

The search function in this topic and sub-forum brings up no results for me so I can only suppose that this place has never been mentioned, which is a bit surprising.

This restaurant/bar is in Chaiyapruek about 25 yards from the corner of Jomtien Beach Road.

https://goo.gl/maps/svYcyffazjtvoxWK9

They have a good menu of modestly priced British standards (a good full English breakfast for 99B, small roast chicken dinners starting at just 79B and going up to about 130B for a large roast pork meal) and sometimes some more unusual things like home-cured ham with veg and decent chips for around 120-150B. Also sweet and savoury pies. Specials change every few days and are reasonably priced, and there is always a good choice of main dishes and snacks. Very few dishes cost over 200B - those that do are quite special - and portions are a good size. I had a nice steak there for 175B. Thai food also available, and that is good too.

The chef is good at his job and the result is reliable, which is more than one can say for most places in Thailand.

I've had many meals there and have never had anything that I didn't like, and the place seems to be popular.

Closed Wednesdays in low season. Photos here: https://www.facebook.com/Tequila-Sunrise-Bar-Guesthouse-114714495908559/

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The search function in this topic and sub-forum brings up no results for me so I can only suppose that this place has never been mentioned, which is a bit surprising.

This restaurant/bar is in Chaiyapruek about 25 yards from the corner of Jomtien Beach Road.

They have a good menu of modestly priced British standards (a good full English breakfast for 99B, small roast chicken dinners starting at just 79B and going up to about 130B for a large roast pork meal) and sometimes some more unusual things like home-cured ham with veg and decent chips for around 120-150B. Also sweet and savoury pies. Specials change every few days and are reasonably priced, and there is always a good choice of main dishes and snacks. Very few dishes cost over 200B - those that do are quite special - and portions are a good size. I had a nice steak there for 175B. Thai food also available, and that is good too.

The chef is good at his job and the result is reliable, which is more than one can say for most places in Thailand.

I've had many meals there and have never had anything that I didn't like, and the place seems to be popular.

Closed Wednesdays in low season. Photos here: https://www.facebook.com/Tequila-Sunrise-Bar-Guesthouse-114714495908559/

Also as a side note, On FB yesterday the owner is contemplating selling the place as he recently received a decent offer from an Englishman.

49 minutes ago, jwdub said:

Also as a side note, On FB yesterday the owner is contemplating selling the place as he recently received a decent offer from an Englishman.

Shame. In my experience good places rarely stay as good after a change of management.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Interesting.  The same name in BKK is all Mex. food. A chain I thought.

I would have bet it was a Mex. place had no idea it was British type food.

Edited by bkk6060

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

The same name in BKK is all Mex. food. A chain I thought.

That's right. They used to have a branch by Jomtien Complex in what is now Tinnies, but it never really did very well. You see lots of them in Bangkok and they seem to be quite popular there.

No connection with the British place I mentioned, of course.

On 8/12/2019 at 12:04 AM, KittenKong said:

Closed Wednesdays in low season.

Not sure whether I was wrong or whether they have changed something, but it seems to be closed on Tuesdays rather than Wednesdays.

On 5/7/2019 at 6:26 PM, Jingthing said:

I would love a real deal Hungarian goulash. Thats saying alot considering the last time I had one was in Budapest and the rotten deer meat in it gave me violent food poisoning.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

But how did it taste?     ????

Just now, KittenKong said:

Not sure whether I was wrong or whether they have changed something, but it seems to be closed on Tuesdays rather than Wednesdays.

The latter. The owner changed the closing day only recently, noticed that as I read through some of the facebook posts.

Yes, changed to Tuesday closing.

He is working mega keen pricing, appears very good value.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The Bangkok Mexican chain is called Sunrise Tacos, not Tequila Sunrise.

You are correct thanks.

Still odd for me to name a British spot with that name.

Do not know of many Mex. places called The Pimms Cafe...

????

But if the food is good who cares I guess.

• Like 2

A bit of an update on the Chinese Hot Pot restaurant that has replaced Jomtien institution BRUNOS on Tappraya Road, north of Tepprasit in the restaurant row area there.

It is NOT open yet but I was able to walk inside and talk to the people there. So I can share what I learned from that.

I was told --

The restaurant will open about 20 August

They are having menus printed in China and they expect to have the menus by opening time

They have one high cost high skill Chinese chef and he will train the Thai chefs. (Good luck!)

Beijing style food

Definitely NOT a Sichuan restaurant

Happy news -- it will NOT only be a hot pot restaurant!

I was shown some menu items on a phone. Of course they have the hot pot fixings but there was a wide variety of regular non-hot pot dishes as well. Some were very interesting.

For example they have three cup chicken, a famous dish of Taiwan, which I don't think you're going to find easily elsewhere in town.

Prices? It was a "dummy" menu and it seemed a lot of dishes had the same prices, which weren't bad at all. As it appears to be quite a FANCY restaurant the numbers seemed actually underpriced for the décor. 

So I asked and was told those numbers are not baht but Chinese yuan.

So would make the three cup chicken which is a delicious dish but doesn't use expensive ingredients to cost about 800 baht!?!

I don't believe it will turn out to be 800 baht for three cup chicken. That's absurd. But I also expect it to be an expensive Chinese restaurant.

Also needless to say I wouldn't bet the house that they will actually be open as early as the 20th and also have the printed menus by then. 

I've seen cases before where menus are delayed for months.

But we'll see. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:01 PM, watcharacters said:

But how did it taste?     ????

The rotten deer meat in the goulash that I ate in Budapest that caused me to wake up in the middle of the night with the most violent vomiting incident of my life tasted very nice, thank you very much. It was highly spiced. Excellent coverup job!

Little Bella Italia on Naklua Soi 33 is no more; a new bar has taken over the premises. Grottinos; opposite; remains and appears to be thriving.

The main Bella Italia on 2nd Road is still going but there is growing competition from new Chinese restos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, champers said:

Little Bella Italia on Naklua Soi 33 is no more; a new bar has taken over the premises. Grottinos; opposite; remains and appears to be thriving.

The main Bella Italia on 2nd Road is still going but there is growing competition from new Chinese restos.

I have to admit since T21 opened I haven't ventured into Naklua. I guess I have to now -- Chinese restaurants.