The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Duc De Praslin Belgium Thailand

Central Pattaya Beach Mall, 5th Floor

Belgium chocolate made in Thailand. 

Pralines, truffles, bars, drinks, etc.

I've tried this place (located in the middle like many of the dessert and café type places) twice once for a cold chocolate mint frappe and once for their signature hot chocolate (110). You're served two excellent pralines with the drinks. 

The quality is excellent.

I noticed they serve 2 scones for 100 baht which I think would be excellent with the hot chocolate.

Warning -- could be addictive.

A Bangkok location, lots of pics --

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d3745274-Reviews-Duc_De_Praslin_Belgium-Bangkok.html

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2019 at 9:10 AM, Jingthing said:

Grillicious Lebanese Restaurant by Beirut

Terminal 21 Mall

Tokyo Floor

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d15421228-Reviews-Grillicious_Lebanese_Restaurant_by_Beirut-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

I finally got around to trying this place. I have been to the Bangkok Beirut many years ago and yes it was great back then. What's took me so long was the prices. There are other Middle Eastern places I like that cost less and don't have add on costs. 

Well after trying it just one time I think it's probably the best Lebanese food in town with some caveats. So maybe worth the money. Also it's not plus plus, but only a 10 percent service fee is added but happily not tax.

I tried their build your own mezze option where you choose four choices from a list and they include pita bread and dips. 450 baht.

If you don't know about Lebanese mezze --

https://www.buzzfeed.com/kiwihomeco/top-10-lebanese-mezze-dishes-q7qz

The worst part first. The pita bread is to put it politely is NOT VERY GOOD.

It boggles the mind why they don't bother to do good pita bread, but they don't. I supposed bringing your own would appear eccentric.

So I chose the stuffed grape leaves (with rice), the eggplant dip, chicken schwarma, and Kibbe (fried meat thingies).

The stuffed grape leaves tasted like they were out of a can. It was optimistic to hope they would make their own. Even if they do, which I doubt, they certainly didn't taste like they were made in house. The eggplant dip was excellent. The schwarma excellent. The kibbe excellent but it seemed to be missing the Lebanese grain bulgur that's normally in it so I think Lebanese people might be disappointed in that. If there was bulgur in their kibbe, sorry I just didn't detect it, and yes I have had more typical kibbe where you can't miss the bulgur.

Included was a raw vegetable and pickle plate and three excellent additional dips. Whipped garlic with is excellent with the schwarma meat. tahini sesame, and a spicy green vegetable in oil thing.

Obviously they have an extensive menu and not only small mezze dishes. 

Don't you belong to a camera of sorts?

Overall, it sounds as if I create a lot better at home. Especially as I only eat wholemeal pitta;

Lebanese wholewheat khobez; 

khobez.jpg

Greek style wholewheat pitta with seeds;

closeup-of-some-whole-grain-pita-bread-w

If their bread is no good, then what's the point?

Good bread is central.

7 minutes ago, JamJar said:

If their bread is no good, then what's the point?

Good bread is central.

No, it's in T21, not Central.

I agree for mezze good bread is very important but there are lots of Lebanese dishes where it isn't. 

7 hours ago, JamJar said:

There are other Middle Eastern places I like that cost less and don't have add on costs. 

Please share location of other decent places in Pattaya.

7 hours ago, JamJar said:

The pita bread is to put it politely is NOT VERY GOOD.

Same as with my experience at this place, was such a let down, food good and a bit like Indian food, the poor bread quality can be a deal breaker.

I do like the bread at the Turkish place in Central.

Yeah looks like the exact same menu as the one on 2nd road. I was just there today. It's been previously reviewed here. I had the wontons in sesame sauce 100 and the river spice beef fried wide rice noodles 140. My favorites there recently. More good news. When they first opened they had some excellent super spicy chili oil sauce on the tables. But then they changed to some crappy bottled more sweet chili sauce. I complained and now they're back to the original wonderful stuff. No I'm not taking credit. I assume they probably got multiple comments on that.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Haha 1

BTW, I recall early on being told there the eventual plan is to open multiple locations so I'm not surprised to hear this news. I recall at least one person predicting quick closure and talking about it always being an empty restaurant which I knew for a fact as totally false. It's a very famous brand in China. At 2nd road almost all of their customers are Chinese. I suppose they could probably try a South Pattaya location and also one in inner Jomtien. 

Edited by Jingthing

May's Urban Dine

Creative modern gourmet level Thai food

Tepprasit Road

Jomtien

Map here:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d7235043-Reviews-MAYs_Urban_Thai_Dine_Pattaya-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html#MAPVIEW

I'm sure many locals either know about this place already and/or have been there. I had only been one time before when it was an open air place but visited for the first time in their new and very cool space. With the décor, atmosphere, and music I could imagine myself eating at a great modern Thai restaurant in Brooklyn (or Bangkok) so the Urban name fits well. 

Some may call their food "fusion" but I don't really think so much. To me creative and modern Thai food describes it better.

Well I only had two dishes but I enjoyed their food much more than my previous visit. Before was definitely OK but this time was more like WOWING me big time. 

I had the fried spring rolls stuffed with spicy chicken laab at 250 from the specials board and the soft shell crab in "Golden" curry at 420. Expensive? Yes but if budget is a concern they are on Eatigo at up to 50 percent off. Excellent jasmine rice is included for free. 

I was kind of expecting the spring rolls to be served with a dipping sauce but they weren't and I didn't miss it. Included was assorted raw vegetables as in an actual laab dish. Smallish portion but who cares when the food tastes fantastic which this did. 

The soft shell crab was served in a fire warming platter with a generous portion of thick yellowish curry and some green herbal vegetable that I can't name. The portion was generous. Reportedly and unusually they make their own curry pastes from scratch there and it certainly tasted that way. Fantastic flavor as well. 

Gracious professional service as well. One thing I appreciate with higher end restaurants is when they do the necessary but are not overbearing and overly attentive to the point where the staff is sometimes even staring. Nothing like that at Mays.

So nothing to mark down except for the expense which they have kindly offered a way to address that as well (Eatigo).

Lots of pictures of the food here.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d7235043-Reviews-MAYs_Urban_Thai_Dine_Pattaya-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didn't like the atmosphere at May's, too Bangkok. Their massaman was ok but I seem to remember had some sort of twist I didn't really care about (too much cinnamon or something). The whole thing felt pretentious, especially considering it's Thai food, the natural habitat of eating which is on a plastic chair in a hole in the wall. It's a place I'd take wannabe Hi-So Thais to, I suppose.

5 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I didn't like the atmosphere at May's, too Bangkok. Their massaman was ok but I seem to remember had some sort of twist I didn't really care about (too much cinnamon or something). The whole thing felt pretentious, especially considering it's Thai food, the natural habitat of eating which is on a plastic chair in a hole in the wall. It's a place I'd take wannabe Hi-So Thais to, I suppose.

I understand the response but for me the food is the thing, and as I was blown away by their food, I can't knock it for superficial things or the type of people they attract. As I implied before I had a similar MEH reaction to my previous visit in their old location, but that was a long time ago and I have a feeling the food has gotten better. At least based on the one meal. Maybe if I eat there five times I'll have a different opinion. 

Edited by Jingthing

8 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The natural habitat of eating Thai food on metal tables, and sitting on plastic chairs, is for Thais who can’t afford to eat in proper restaurants - and westerners who think it is cultural to eat with chopsticks. Rarely have I had decent food in such places.

i applaud May’s approach and appreciate Jingthing’s report.

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

The natural habitat of eating Thai food on metal tables, and sitting on plastic chairs, is for Thais who can’t afford to eat in proper restaurants - and westerners who think it is cultural to eat with chopsticks. Rarely have I had decent food in such places.

i applaud May’s approach and appreciate Jingthing’s report.

It's all about the food not the atmosphere.  And don't assume because you are paying more that it is better.  Some of the best cooks in Thailand are at some of these hole in the wall places.

I remember some years ago reading about a Michellin star chef who just runs a food cart out in the street in Bangkok.  I have heard many a story of HiSo Thais at a fancy dinner party quietly sneaking out to go try some noodles at some popular new food cart they just heard about.

Edited by lapd
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

SERIOUSLY?

Yeah. Thai food ain't the pinky up 50000$ champagne high dining fair. It's the stuff you gobble up from the floor. 

1.jpg

Of course Bangkokians and other wannabes will cry havoc as their beloved show off places aren't fooling anybody.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, lapd said:

Rarely have I had decent food at pretentious Thai restaurants in Thailand or even just a bit nicer than normal Thai restaurants.  Give me a hole in the wall with metal tables and platic chairs any day.  It's all about the food not the atmosphere.  Oh and btw, some of the best cooks in Thailand are at some of these hole in the wall places.

I remember some years ago reading about a Michellin star chef who just runs a food cart out in the street in Bangkok.  I have heard many a story of HiSo Thais at a fancy dinner party quietly sneaking out to go try some noodles at some popular new food cart they just heard about.

I agree it is about the food....always.

The Michelin star is a diversion and irrelevant when comparing low class plastic chair establishments with proper restaurants....consider places like Cabbages & Condoms for comparison not some pretentious place where image or decor hides poor quality food and service.

Keep your plastic chairs - unless it is for a kwitiow snack.

4 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

places like Cabbages & Condoms for comparison not some pretentious place where image or decor hides poor quality food and service.

I was waiting for C&C to be mentioned as it seems to be of the same ilk. Average food, nice setting. Also View Mare, Glasshouse, etc. 

I was recently in Koh Chang and all the Thai places near the bridge in Kai Bae blew the doors off of any of those. No MSG, prepared right there for you to see, plastic chairs and metal tables. Absolutely delish. Almost extinct in Pattaya now.

Edited by DrTuner

Two Lions Pub & Restaurant.  It's on a side Soi just off Pattaya Klang near Soi Buakao.  The sign outside said the special was free Spaghetti Bolonese on Tuesday so I gave it a try.  Normally costs 250baht.  Just needed to buy a drink even if it's just water.  I thought it was very good.  I don't know if I would pay the menu price for that portion unless it's bigger and it may very well be. 

Their current weekly specials look good.  Especially the 2 for 1 Tuesdays.  So 2 can eat a 450 baht menu item, for example, and the less expensive meal is free.  Sundays are 199 16" pizzas.  Italian style.  Normally they are around 250-350.

The 100 baht Mojito was excellent.  I will probably go back just for that.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/twolionsrestaurant/locations/

https://www.facebook.com/twolionsrestaurant/menu/

Edited by lapd
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I was recently in Koh Chang and all the Thai places near the bridge in Kai Bae blew the doors off of any of those. No MSG, prepared right there for you to see, plastic chairs and metal tables. Absolutely delish. Almost extinct in Pattaya now.

???  They are all over the place in Pattaya.  Where have you been looking or maybe you are talking about some other type of restaurant?

Edited by lapd

5 minutes ago, lapd said:

???  They are all over the place in Pattaya.  Where have you been looking or maybe you are talking about some other type of restaurant?

I'm talking about the taste. Most don't bother cooking with fresh herbs and other clean ingredients but just throw ready ingredients ( including fifty tons of MSG ) in a wok. They still did it all from scratch. Of course it takes a while waiting for it, but worth it.

15 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I'm talking about the taste. Most don't bother cooking with fresh herbs and other clean ingredients but just throw ready ingredients ( including fifty tons of MSG ) in a wok. They still did it all from scratch. Of course it takes a while waiting for it, but worth it.

What kind of Thai cooking are you talking about because most of the stir fry places I go to use fresh ingredients and do not use MSG as far as I know.  I presume you know about that place on Pattaya Tai near Tukom in front of Center Condo.  I think it's called Ohai Ohai or something like that.

If you are talking Fish there is the covered fish restaurant place on Pattaya Klang near the Mango stick rice places.  Multiple booths to choose from and mostly fish items but other stuff as well.  There is a literal hole in the wall place on Soi Buakao almost across the street from the LK Metro entrance that is always busy.  Just look for the places where the Thais go.  

Like I said, they are all over the place.  Maybe some use MSG but I don't think so. And a lot of them have fresh herbs and ingredients hanging there and cook right there in the open if you want to watch.  That is just normally the way these hole in the wall places are because that is just normal Thai cooking as far as I know.

And there are also excellent food carts or those semi-permanent sidewalk restaurants that open in the evening when the stores behind them close.  Fresh ingredients and no MSG as far as I know.  The best Kao Man Gai anywhere is probably that place on the corner of Soi Buakao and Pattaya Tai in front of the motorcycle store. Probably the best Pad Thai I have had anywhere is that evening sidewalk place on Pattaya Tai near the Wat.  Right across the street from that down that side soi is an excellent grilled chicken cart.

Edited by lapd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lapd said:

What kind of Thai cooking are you talking about because most of the stir fry places I go to use fresh ingredients and do not use MSG as far as I know.  I presume you know about that place on Pattaya Tai near Tukom in front of Center Condo.  I think it's called Ohai Ohai or something like that.

If you are talking Fish there is the covered fish restaurant place on Pattaya Klang near the Mango stick rice places.  Multiple booths to choose from and mostly fish items but other stuff as well.  There is a literal hole in the wall place on Soi Buakao almost across the street from the LK Metro entrance that is always busy.  Just look for the places where the Thais go.  

Like I said, they are all over the place.  Maybe some use MSG but I don't think so. And a lot of them have fresh herbs and ingredients hanging there and cook right there in the open if you want to watch.  That is just normally the way these hole in the wall places are because that is just normal Thai cooking as far as I know.

And there are also excellent food carts or those semi-permanent sidewalk restaurants that open in the evening when the stores behind them close.  Fresh ingredients and no MSG as far as I know.  The best Kao Man Gai anywhere is probably that place on the corner of Soi Buakao and Pattaya Tai in front of the motorcycle store. Probably the best Pad Thai I have had anywhere is that evening sidewalk place on Pattaya Tai near the Wat.  Right across the street from that down that side soi is an excellent grilled chicken cart.

Yes I know of the place near tukcom, it's one of the few that has good Thai food. There's another one on 2nd road, about 200m north of Tai on beach side (metal tables, not difficult to spot) and one Thai-Chinese on 3rd road near the Korean BBQ place that also have good clean food. I've heard there's one good one in Thappraya between Soi 4 and 5 I think but didn't find it the last time I tried. The bus stop places near Alcazar used to be good, I haven't been there in a while so not sure now, the bus diesel exhaust is a turn-off. The places at Tai near the temple and next to the wet market are a bit of a hit-and-miss.

For each one of those good ones you got twenty restaurants that serve very average, made with pre-processed ingredients food. The situation used to be much better 10y ago. 

EDIT: the place near tukcom is Oh Ahaarn Thai, https://goo.gl/maps/KYSsq7XqvmymQRtB7

EDIT2: On 2nd road it's Pak Bung Loy Fah: https://goo.gl/maps/sd533EW7Qcs6qL1n8

Edited by DrTuner
  • Thanks 1

On 8/5/2019 at 11:47 PM, luckyluke said:

For about 20 years now, previously "Le Relax", since years "Le Freelax" (Chez Michel), is giving common brasserie food at a very decent price (the menu is something around 300 Thb) 

I recommend : Rognons à la crème.    

Located in the Soi between The Castle & Buffalo Bar, ( in front of the fire brigade) 3rd. Road. 

Soi So Dom?