The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

12 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Like so many Thais, I do get a good laugh at this idea that the only good Thai Food is Cheap Thai Food.

Yes there is a bit of western imperialism in that weird attitude. Foreign food (so called "ethnic" food) is supposed to be cheap. I remember going to excellent Chinese restaurants in California and the tables of Chinese were spending hundreds of dollars on fresh seafood and exotic gourmet delicacies. Most of the white people were ordering the cheapest stuff on the menu like fried rice. Go figure! 

China is now a big power of course, but it's interesting that the expectation for cheap "ethnic" food is not generally applied to Japanese food. Japan of course being a rich country.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TaaSaparot said:

Like so many Thais, I do get a good laugh at this idea that the only good Thai Food is Cheap Thai Food.

Not about the price. It just happens with the exception of royals, etc, Thais have been eating in a circle on the floor for centuries. AC'd wannabe hi-so restaurants are the imperialist part from the west.

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:40 PM, Jingthing said:

A bit of an update on the Chinese Hot Pot restaurant that has replaced Jomtien institution BRUNOS on Tappraya Road, north of Tepprasit in the restaurant row area there.

It is NOT open yet but I was able to walk inside and talk to the people there. So I can share what I learned from that.

I was told --

The restaurant will open about 20 August

They are having menus printed in China and they expect to have the menus by opening time

They have one high cost high skill Chinese chef and he will train the Thai chefs. (Good luck!)

Beijing style food

Definitely NOT a Sichuan restaurant

Happy news -- it will NOT only be a hot pot restaurant!

I was shown some menu items on a phone. Of course they have the hot pot fixings but there was a wide variety of regular non-hot pot dishes as well. Some were very interesting.

For example they have three cup chicken, a famous dish of Taiwan, which I don't think you're going to find easily elsewhere in town.

Prices? It was a "dummy" menu and it seemed a lot of dishes had the same prices, which weren't bad at all. As it appears to be quite a FANCY restaurant the numbers seemed actually underpriced for the décor. 

So I asked and was told those numbers are not baht but Chinese yuan.

So would make the three cup chicken which is a delicious dish but doesn't use expensive ingredients to cost about 800 baht!?!

I don't believe it will turn out to be 800 baht for three cup chicken. That's absurd. But I also expect it to be an expensive Chinese restaurant.

Also needless to say I wouldn't bet the house that they will actually be open as early as the 20th and also have the printed menus by then. 

I've seen cases before where menus are delayed for months.

But we'll see. 

LI YUAN HOT POT

(But the name is misleading)  

OK this place is open now.

Yippee. 

Word is on one of the foodie sites is that the food is authentic and fabulous.

As said they have their hot pot menu (which is going to get expensive) and their non-hot pot menu.

Surprisingly the gourmet sounding non-pot menu has prices that are very reasonable. 

Jomtien is turning Chinese and I like it.

Here is basically the entire non-hot pot part of the menu --

Spicy cold chicken 179

Vegetable salad 129

Octopus in sauce ?? but not expensive

Ribs cooked in rice pot 159

XO sauce lettuce 169

Broccoli sprouts 159

Water spinach 129

Spicy green beans minced pork 128

Bamboo shoot thing 178

Pumpkin 199

Fried cabbage 99

Braised eggplant 156

Stir fry pork 169

Burn metabolin (don't shoot the messenger, do you dare order it?) 199

Radish beef brisket 299

Grilled fish 269

3 cup chicken (This is a very famous dish of Taiwan or Chinese Taipei if you don't want a fight) 189

Gravy squid 189

Meat fried tofu clay pot 156

Pork chops 269 

Taiwan shrimp 269 

Prawns (fancy fried?) 269

Spicy crab 499 999

Braised in soy sauce pork 289

Cucumber pork 138

Orange juice lotus root 89

Edited by Jingthing

Tequila Sunrise Jomtien down the pan !

Since new owner took over I've been 3 times for breakfast at different times and days, earliest being 9.15 and latest 12.15 in the last 2 weeks and each time it was closed. The old owner posted on the FB page that the new owner would keep the same prices. Pork and chicken roast dinners now 150 Baht, yes not expensive but more than the previous 79 and 95 Baht prices I think it was. But no good if never open !!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

LI YUAN HOT POT

(But the name is misleading)  

OK this place is open now.

Yippee. 

Word is on one of the foodie sites is that the food is authentic and fabulous.

As said they have their hot pot menu (which is going to get expensive) and their non-hot pot menu.

Surprisingly the gourmet sounding non-pot menu has prices that are very reasonable. 

Jomtien is turning Chinese and I like it.

Here is basically the entire non-hot pot part of the menu --

Spicy cold chicken 179

Vegetable salad 129

Octopus in sauce ?? but not expensive

Ribs cooked in rice pot 159

XO sauce lettuce 169

Broccoli sprouts 159

Water spinach 129

Spicy green beans minced pork 128

Bamboo shoot thing 178

Pumpkin 199

Fried cabbage 99

Braised eggplant 156

Stir fry pork 169

Burn metabolin (don't shoot the messenger, do you dare order it?) 199

Radish beef brisket 299

Grilled fish 269

3 cup chicken (This is a very famous dish of Taiwan or Chinese Taipei if you don't want a fight) 189

Gravy squid 189

Meat fried tofu clay pot 156

Pork chops 269 

Taiwan shrimp 269 

Prawns (fancy fried?) 269

Spicy crab 499 999

Braised in soy sauce pork 289

Cucumber pork 138

Orange juice lotus root 89

You got the name wrong. This is why pictures are helpful.

1a.jpeg.65fc019d39cae1a8643d4bda946d28d1.jpeg2a.jpeg.e36984289c6961848c783830b1f170c4.jpeg

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, JohnC said:

I believe Tequila Sunrise has been taken over by John from Johns Cafe in Jomtien, they do not do breakfast 

OK, thanks, looks like it's Simple Simons when I want a fry up or does anyone know other places around Jomtien, as close to Soi Watboon as possible.

24 minutes ago, Leaver said:

You can expect to see more establishments catering for westerners being turned into establishments catering for the Chinese in the future.

A shame for the people who sunk their cash into those places. Perhaps the Chinese will buy them out.

On 9/6/2019 at 8:25 AM, Jip99 said:

I agree it is about the food....always.

The Michelin star is a diversion and irrelevant when comparing low class plastic chair establishments with proper restaurants....consider places like Cabbages & Condoms for comparison not some pretentious place where image or decor hides poor quality food and service.

Keep your plastic chairs - unless it is for a kwitiow snack.

You're joking, right? My wife was the chef in a hole in the wall in Pattaya when I first came to Pattaya. Real Thai/Issan food and delicious.

I took her to Cabbages and Condoms in Bangkok (Sukhumvit Soi 8?). We both agreed that it was totally geared towards tourists (condom statues, do you really think Thais appreciate that?) and the food was meh.

Found Kinnaree on the same soi, set back from the road and quite hidden. All staff in traditional Thai dress and restaurant beautifully furnished in traditional Thai style. Staff were amazing, made us feel like the King and Queen (unlike Cabbages and Condoms). The food was amazing, Thai but presented Michelin star style. Wife took lots of selfies of the food. Thai Hi So but the wife and I both agree that it's the best restaurant with the best Thai food that we've ever eaten in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

You're joking, right? My wife was the chef in a hole in the wall in Pattaya when I first came to Pattaya. Real Thai/Issan food and delicious.

I took her to Cabbages and Condoms in Bangkok (Sukhumvit Soi 8?). We both agreed that it was totally geared towards tourists (condom statues, do you really think Thais appreciate that?) and the food was meh.

Found Kinnaree on the same soi, set back from the road and quite hidden. All staff in traditional Thai dress and restaurant beautifully furnished in traditional Thai style. Staff were amazing, made us feel like the King and Queen (unlike Cabbages and Condoms). The food was amazing, Thai but presented Michelin star style. Wife took lots of selfies of the food. Thai Hi So but the wife and I both agree that it's the best restaurant with the best Thai food that we've ever eaten in.

Also went to Kinnaree a while back and found it interesting. Though not so interesting that I ever returned. Should give it another try.

Agree about Cabbages & Condoms, at least in Pattaya. Pleasant surroundings, but food is nothing special. Go there just for the ambience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DannyCarlton said:

The one in Soi Asia has always meh! also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Can’t speak for Bangkok but there is nothing wrong with Pattaya Cabbage & Condoms.... not talking 5 star, not looking for that, but decent quality food with decent service.

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

She probably has them but thinks that's what the tourists want. 

So you think a Thai Chef, cooking Thai food will just not put any spices on at all ...because farang?

There is a difference between making Thai food not too spicy for farangs and not using any spices at all so that it tastes like cardboard.  A lot of the spices and flavors they use do not make the food too spicy for foreigners.  Things like ginger and garlic for example.

Edited by lapd
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, hackjam said:

My missus in never impressed with the Thai food and always tries to tell the waitress to give to her, authentic Thai style food but, alas, although it does come more spicy to her, its still what she calls, tourist Thai food.

But its a lot more than levels of spiciness.

Bland is Bland.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

But its a lot more than levels of spiciness.

Bland is Bland.

A good example of bland being MK. Could just as well be drinking hot water. 

Indeed the taste is in the ingredients and skill of the cook. A good explanation on what it requires can be seen in the Netflix Chef's table episode that has Bo Lan in it. They source their ingredients carefully and she explains just how hard that is in Thailand.  Few bother.

• Like 1