The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

IMHO, the Danmark Hotel/Restaurant (soi 8, aka. soi Whitehouse) has a great buffet breakfast.

I've mentioned this a few times in various buffet breakfast threads. It is indeed a good place for the price.

The three trays of Thai food they do in the breakfast buffet are also usually very tasty.

I dont like their bread very much but they usually have some rolls that taste fine.

• Thanks 1

Lantern Indian buffet on 3rd road opp. Tony's gym. 200 baht net. The buffet is in the kitchen so the servers bring you a bowl of each dish they have + nan bread. Then you can re order as much as you like. Includes free ice cream. Open 11-11. Best deal in Pattaya.

Me and the gf went a Monday, all food served from kitchen no nan bread, only rotti.

Overall total and utter dogshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite

Lantern Indian buffet on 3rd road opp. Tony's gym. 200 baht net. The buffet is in the kitchen so the servers bring you a bowl of each dish they have + nan bread. Then you can re order as much as you like. Includes free ice cream. Open 11-11. Best deal in Pattaya.

Me and the gf went a Monday, all food served from kitchen no nan bread, only rotti.

Overall total and utter dogshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite

What do you expect for B200...actual dog steaks and chops?

Like to recommend the new Iranian buffet at Pardis restaurant, ....

I tried this for lunch. Hours are midday to 10pm.

Slightly more expensive than the other Iranian buffet if you order water (20B), but better quality. I was the only person there; if the owner wants to do more business he should put some Russian signs up. Aircon either not working or very tired, or maybe I was just too close to opening time. Nice view of the street life from the refectory tables. Central car park just opposite, so no parking worries.

Several interesting and apparently authentic dishes. A lentil dish with meat (not a watery soup). Something similar with beef and kidney beans (again, not watery). Something nice that may have contained hummus/chickpeas and/or mashed potato. Bite-sized pieces of meat and fish without gristle or bones (apart from the chicken wings of course) cooked in various sauces, many with potato. Mixed steamed vegetables. Two sorts of yoghurt dip/sauce and assorted other sauces/dressings including olive oil. Pickled whole garlic. Several sorts of rice and what I think was a nice fried potato/rice cake that at first sight looked like some sort of evil chicken burger but in fact wasn't at all.

All a bit lacking in hot spice but that's understandable for a middle eastern place, which is closer to Mediterranean style than Asian. Raw chilli provided with the salad ingredients, all of which looked fresh. Plenty of flavour all round though and done by people who seem to know their job.

So for 200/220B much better value than the Indian places that charge about the same for a much less interesting buffet of much cheaper ingredients, which just goes to show that the Indian places could do it but just dont want to.

If this Iranian place did chapatis and papadums I would probably never set foot in a Pattaya Indian place again. Sadly it doesn't.

How was the tap water?

How was the tap water?

I have no idea. I bought a bottle which came iced and with a glass and more ice.

I never drink water straight from the tap in Thailand, though I certainly do drink water from filter machines and also from the big bottles that restaurants often buy.

• 2 weeks later...

Slow to mention this and I'm sorry many of you know about it already but the outdoor food court in front of the Coliseum on Thepprasit is a really great local place to eat. Just perusing the stalls, looking at some menus, have a meal at one of them, looking at the food on tables, my impression is that this Jomtien food court is way superior to the more tourist oriented one at Rompho Market. Not all menus have English but shouldn't be a big problem. Pictures too.

News flash: The space of the old Saras vegetarian restaurant is being taken over by a new place, also Indian, not open yet. It's a big space so there is hope it could be something good. Stay tuned.

• Like 1

Slightly more expensive than the other Iranian buffet if you order water (20B), but better quality. I was the only person there; if the owner wants to do more business he should put some Russian signs up. Aircon either not working or very tired, or maybe I was just too close to opening time. Nice view of the street life from the refectory tables. Central car park just opposite, so no parking worries.

Several interesting and apparently authentic dishes. A lentil dish with meat (not a watery soup). Something similar with beef and kidney beans (again, not watery). Something nice that may have contained hummus/chickpeas and/or mashed potato. Bite-sized pieces of meat and fish without gristle or bones (apart from the chicken wings of course) cooked in various sauces, many with potato. Mixed steamed vegetables. Two sorts of yoghurt dip/sauce and assorted other sauces/dressings including olive oil. Pickled whole garlic. Several sorts of rice and what I think was a nice fried potato/rice cake that at first sight looked like some sort of evil chicken burger but in fact wasn't at all.

All a bit lacking in hot spice but that's understandable for a middle eastern place, which is closer to Mediterranean style than Asian. Raw chilli provided with the salad ingredients, all of which looked fresh. Plenty of flavour all round though and done by people who seem to know their job.

So for 200/220B much better value than the Indian places that charge about the same for a much less interesting buffet of much cheaper ingredients, which just goes to show that the Indian places could do it but just dont want to.

If this Iranian place did chapatis and papadums I would probably never set foot in a Pattaya Indian place again. Sadly it doesn't.

OK, I tried this place a few times and it was OK. Good value feed and if you choose well, it can be quite healthy (avoid the fried stuff and the mayo stuff). However, the food was really too BLAND (blander than even Iranian food should be). While I was there they always had grilled underspiced chicken drumettes, one time nice the other time sitting too long on the steam table, and I'm sure they ALWAYS have the greens/kidney bean stew you mentioned. That is the most famous Iranian dish around: GHORMEH SABZI. One time there was almost no meat in the dish (fished out by others) the other time massive amount of meat. It's mostly a green vegetable stew but you want some chunks of meat. Can't complain too much due to the price/value but I can tell already your experience will be somewhat inconsistent based on the luck of your timing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghormeh_sabzi

The other Iran buffet rarely has Ghormeh Sabzi and when it does they use these silly little meatballs instead of chunks so on that alone I would choose PARDIS.

Edited by Jingthing

Uh-oh, the Pardis all-day buffet is getting too popular. Tried to get at 5 pm., but all tables were full. It's a small restaurant.

So I ate nest door at Madras Darbar, which has the best Bhindi Masala that I have found in Pattaya. I'm trying to become more of a vegetarian, and their excellent Bhindi is helping me along the meatless path.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Uh-oh, the Pardis all-day buffet is getting too popular. Tried to get at 5 pm., but all tables were full. It's a small restaurant.

So I ate nest door at Madras Darbar, which has the best Bhindi Masala that I have found in Pattaya. I'm trying to become more of a vegetarian, and their excellent Bhindi is helping me along the meatless path.

Maybe it was a group tour or something?

Went again today. Food pretty much as before. The main difference was that it was nearly full even at just after midday. Dont know if that was down to it being a holiday weekend or a Saturday or something else. All the diners were of Middle Eastern origin apart from me, with an assortment of men and women and with what seemed to be a French-speaking Lebanese family.

All the dishes promptly refilled as needed. Still not really spicy enough but I enjoyed it anyway, and you cant fault the price given the general quality of the ingredients.

Edited by KittenKong

Went again today. Food pretty much as before. The main difference was that it was nearly full even at just after midday. Dont know if that was down to it being a holiday weekend or a Saturday or something else. All the diners were of Middle Eastern origin apart from me, with an assortment of men and women and with what seemed to be a French-speaking Lebanese family.

All the dishes promptly refilled as needed. Still not really spicy enough but I enjoyed it anyway, and you cant fault the price given the general quality of the ingredients.

Correct me if I am wrong, but most Iranian food is not spicy, especially if you mean "hot." It is very different from most Indian food. I find Iranian food to be rather bland, but healthy. I have, however, never lived in Iran and do not know for sure what authentic Iranian food is supposed to be like.

• Like 1

Bland, tasteless, not seasoned enough is a UNIVERSAL fault of any type of food. Of course in general Iranian food is not hot spicy but it's not supposed to be completely BLAND either.

I would fault this buffet's food as being too bland. Sorry. You still can't complain for the price.

A good example of Persian food style is juleh chicken. Spiced with SAFFRON, orange, and cumin. Not overwhelming. Elegant. Persian food (when done well) is really very wonderful.

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Jujeh-Kabab

Edited by Jingthing

Correct me if I am wrong, but most Iranian food is not spicy, especially if you mean "hot." It is very different from most Indian food. I find Iranian food to be rather bland, but healthy. I have, however, never lived in Iran and do not know for sure what authentic Iranian food is supposed to be like.

No, you're not wrong. Middle Eastern food in general is not very spicy (by which I mean "tasty" and not just "hot").

I just happen to like food with strong flavours, possibly because my palette is not refined enough (I can only look on with envy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertaster ). So Thai and Indian food suits me fine but Filipino and Chinese (well, from parts of China anyway) leaves me a bit underwhelmed, even though there is nothing intrinsically wrong with either.

That said I have eaten food elsewhere that is much less tasty than the food they do in the Pardis place, so I'm not really complaining at all. And it certainly makes a nice change to get cooked dishes with potato and lentils and beans in.

I'll be back (if I can find a seat).

Bland, tasteless, not seasoned enough is a UNIVERSAL fault of any type of food. Of course in general Iranian food is not hot spicy but it's not supposed to be completely BLAND either.

I would fault this buffet's food as being too bland. Sorry. You still can't complain for the price.

I thought that the koftas or mincemeat balls or whatever they call them tasted quite good. Also the three Iranian stew dishes had a reasonable amount of flavour. And they did have a reasonable selection of dips and sauces which seem to often be used to augment the flavours in Middle Eastern cooking. Also some powder that may have been spicy in sachets at the table that I only discovered right at the end of my meal when I was looking for the toothpicks. I'll remember those next time.

So all in all I dont think it's really any more bland than other Iranian/Middle Eastern places I have tried.

Edited by KittenKong

We've got different palettes.

I found the beef thingies unacceptable.

The red stuff in packets is SUMAC. A classic Iranian thing for when eating kebabs to put on the rice. It is not hot and spicy at all. It is VERY subtle.

I have enough experience with excellent Iranian food to know the food there is not well seasoned ... and yes I've even had decently seasoned Iranian food at lower cost Iranian buffets ... but not in Thailand.

The idea of Iranian stews is NOT to spice them up with side dips and sauces. The stews are supposed to be seasoned within themselves. All "Middle Eastern" food is not the same. Persian food is a specific thing with a distinct tradition.

They've cut corners. This is Thailand.

It's good nutrition and good value. It's not a gourmet experience ...

I have too much respect for Iranian food culture to accept this place being promoted as fine Iranian food.

It's a cheap feed and perhaps exotic if you don't know the food.

If you do, it's a culinary letdown.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

The red stuff in packets is SUMAC. A classic Iranian thing for when eating kebabs to put on the rice. It is not hot and spicy at all. It is VERY subtle.

They've cut corners. This is Thailand.

It's good nutrition and good value. It's not a gourmet experience ...

I have too much respect for Iranian food culture to accept this place being promoted as fine Iranian food.

It's a cheap feed and perhaps exotic if you don't know the food.

Sorry to hear about the red stuff. I had hopes.

Who is promoting Pardis as "fine" food? I didn't see that anywhere. Would anyone really expect to get anything "fine" for 200B in Pattaya? I'll settle for "good" at that price point.

That said even if it isn't really exotic it certainly makes a pleasant lunchtime change from what one finds elsewhere here, and so I don't regret my 200B at all.

I think it's OK too. The truth is there isn't any great Iranian food at any restaurant in town, and probably Thailand, as Pattaya seems to be the epicenter of Iranian food in this country. I think maybe most westerners haven't even tried Iranian food though ... so I think it would be a mistake to conclude that it's a boring/bland food culture when it really isn't.

Edited by Jingthing

YEAH!

Famous very special Korean fried chicken BONCHON coming to Pattaya!

At Royal Garden Plaza. Not open yet.

In case you aren't familiar with the international KOREAN fried chicken trend, here's some background.

BONCHON has locations in Korea, USA, Brunei, Indonesia, Philippines, and Thailand.

It is more labor intensive than western or street Thai fried chicken, so expect a premium price.

http://www.bonchon.com/

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/07/dining/07fried.html/

Korean-style fried chicken is radically different, reflecting an Asian frying technique that renders out the fat in the skin, transforming it into a thin, crackly and almost transparent crust. (Chinese cooks call this “paper fried chicken.”) The chicken is unseasoned, barely dredged in very fine flour and then dipped into a thin batter before going into the fryer. The oil temperature is a relatively low 350 degrees, and the chicken is cooked in two separate stages.
Edited by Jingthing

YEAH!

Famous very special Korean fried chicken BONCHON coming to Pattaya!

There is at least one place on Sukumvit that purports to do "Korean fried chicken". As I rarely go along Sukumvit at night I've never seen how busy it gets, nor have I been there to know what it is like.

I have had Korean fried chicken elsewhere and it is indeed rather good.

I just didn't fancy the joint.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So, either you're homophobic or you just don't like French people.

Which is it?whistling.gif

Sheesh, everyone knows Jingthing is homophobic!

:D

• Like 1

Pommes on Thappraya has a sign up now: CLOSES AT 6 P.M.!

Not sure if that's a temp change or not.

Even when open it rarely seems to have customers. I cant see it lasting long in that format.

Down the road from there La Bocca has a sign up offering 10% discount. Few takers there either and again I'm not really surprised.

Even when open it rarely seems to have customers. I cant see it lasting long in that format.

Down the road from there La Bocca has a sign up offering 10% discount. Few takers there either and again I'm not really surprised.

That 10 percent discount is for lunch only. I doubt that will draw them in there either for lunch ... it feels more like a dinner spot.

Pommes, yes I wish them good luck because I guess they're going to need it.

Perhaps an off season thing closing at night?

My suggestion to them which I made before -- do a complete FRENCH CREPE menu (savory crepes). Nobody is doing that in town and the place looks perfect for that concept. Yes they've got dessert crepes but I am talking about real French savory crepes.

Another thing they could do ... source ACTUAL bagels either from a special local baker or sourced from the few spots in Bangkok that do them (talking real bagels, done traditionally with the BOIL, not just bread with a hole) ... and do a complete BAGEL sandwich deli menu with those bagels.

Such special bagels could command a premium price as nobody else does them in town.

Do both of those things, get the word out, and they might just have something.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

That 10 percent discount is for lunch only. I doubt that will draw them in there either for lunch ... it feels more like a dinner spot.

Pommes, yes I wish them good luck because I guess they're going to need it.

Perhaps an off season thing closing at night?

My suggestion to them which I made before -- do a complete FRENCH CREPE menu (savory crepes). Nobody is doing that in town and the place looks perfect for that concept. Yes they've got dessert crepes but I am talking about real French savory crepes.

Another thing they could do ... source ACTUAL bagels either from a special local baker or sourced from the few spots in Bangkok that do them (talking real bagels, done traditionally with the BOIL, not just bread with a hole) ... and do a complete BAGEL sandwich deli menu with those bagels.

Such special bagels could command a premium price as nobody else does them in town.

Do both of those things, get the word out, and they might just have something.

Actually, I'm not sure they even have the desert crepes. When I mentioned that there were a lot of things not offered that were on the menu they replied that a new menu might be coming in a month or so.

I remember in Phucket Town, bout 7 years ago there was a guy from Brittany who did the real crepe thing.

Fantastic. Unfortunately I don't think he lasted. I have not seen anything like real bagel or french crepes even in Bangkok. But we can dream.

Yeah a new menu is a good idea. They have a big sign saying TAPAS but I think not really. Anyway the sweet crepes are on the menu now. There was a French creperie in inner Jomtien some years back but the crepes were not good enough.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

New find!

Kind of a small low priced Korean "dive" on Soi Buakhow.

To find ...

east side of street, not very far north from Pattaya Tai

Menu is a bit odd and very limited.

They have Korean ramen under 100 baht.

Spicy red Korean seafood noodle soup, something like 90 and 120 baht for the special version.

Then there is their featured item.

"Sizzling Chicken" platter.

100 baht per person, MINIMUM start two persons.

Same kind of deal for some kind of BBQ deal.

No comment on the food yet. It's clear that it's not gourmet level ... but perhaps it's nice for the price, who knows.

Talked to the owner a bit, he doesn't speak English, he seemed fun.

Basically a FUNKY place if you're feeling adventurous.

I likely won't eat there for a while ... but if you'd like to post the virgin food "review" on the place ... you have been challenged!

Edited by Jingthing

Amporn Seafood, 3rd Road east side, between Central and North, nearer Central. Best yam pla duk foo I've ever eaten, and I'm a long-time fan of this special Thai fish dish. Amporn's offering was perfect. Huge piece of puffy fish, side salad not too spicy, only 130 baht. A lovely find this evening, and it wasn't even on the menu! This restaurant opens at 4 pm., with menu out front. I looked for yam pla duk foo (catfish salad), but they did not have it, so I thought. A lady saw me looking at the menu, came out to greet me, so I asked her if they offered it, as many Thai restaurants do not.

To my surprise, she said that they do have it, so I ordered it. The portion was huge, the side salad was not too spicy for my farang palate, and the price was right, 130 baht. I was in catfish salad heaven, the best I have ever eaten, and I've tried numerous versions of this special Thai dish.

I will be back there soon; was it too good to be true a second time?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

La Baguette

Opened a couple of days ago. No free Wifi so I smell a greedy owner.

Coffee starts at 100 Baht. Seriously?

Everything not less than 80 Baht.

Big and spacious.

Where will the customers come from? Little Russia? The courthouse?

• Thanks 1