The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

4 hours ago, Nout said:

For Levantine food. Soi 6 Pratumnak. Modest prices. 150 yards down on the right..

20210206_191439.jpg

Something similar at the Jomtien Night Market on Jomtien Beach Road. Cannot do a proper review as I didn't try nor take any pictures. But friends recommended it and they had a steady flow of customers.

I tend to make my own..

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Something similar at the Jomtien Night Market on Jomtien Beach Road. Cannot do a proper review as I didn't try nor take any pictures. But friends recommended it and they had a steady flow of customers.

I tend to make my own..

Yes but even though I haven't eaten there I really don't think it's at the same level as Falafel and Hummus. 

More info about both here:

Yupa's

American Soul food coming soon to Soi Lengkee!

This is pretty exciting. Soul food is more or less the ethnic food of black Americans with southern and African origins.

But wait. There's more. Not only are they doing soul food like oxtail but they're also doing some specifically Louisiana classics such as red beans and rice and po' boys. Sandwiches that Is.

It seems like they may have previously operated on the dark side.

As far as their exact opening date I really don't know.

They say they will be on two apps Grab and  Lineman.

They are already on Grab and showing opening next Saturday. They aren't yet listed on Lineman. But at least you can see their menu now on Grab. Keep in mind prices on Grab are usually higher than in house.

I think they have a shot at being popular just for the novelty aspect alone. 

I will add a personal note. I've been to a number of southern and soul food restaurants in the south including some famous ones. Fried chicken and waffles wasn't on their menus. Fried chicken yes, biscuits yes, though! 

Also to me the star dish of this kind of food is collard greens cooked with pork. Not on their menu probably because of no collard greens.

More info.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/Yupas-Soul-Food-and-Thai-Kitchen/

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Yupa's

American Soul food coming soon to Soi Lengkee!

This is pretty exciting. Soul food is more or less the ethnic food of black Americans with southern and African origins.

But wait. There's more. Not only are they doing soul food like oxtail but they're also doing some specifically Louisiana classics such as red beans and rice and po' boys. Sandwiches that Is.

It seems like they may have previously operated on the dark side.

As far as their exact opening date I really don't know.

They say they will be on two apps Grab and  Lineman.

They are already on Grab and showing opening next Saturday. They aren't yet listed on Lineman. But at least you can see their menu now on Grab. Keep in mind prices on Grab are usually higher than in house.

I think they have a shot at being popular just for the novelty aspect alone. 

I will add a personal note. I've been to a number of southern and soul food restaurants in the south including some famous ones. Fried chicken and waffles wasn't on their menus. Fried chicken yes, biscuits yes, though! 

Also to me the star dish of this kind of food is collard greens cooked with pork. Not on their menu probably because of no collard greens.

More info.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/Yupas-Soul-Food-and-Thai-Kitchen/

Have you not been to a Roscoe's in the South...ern California? 

Never thought they were all that, but apparently they're springing up all over...

I meant the deep south not Southern Cali. Yeah I think chicken and waffles is much more L.A. than Atlanta.

BTW I think I noticed shrimp and grits on their menu. Georgia and Carolinas coastal low country stuff.

Edited by Jingthing

On 12/2/2020 at 4:15 PM, Jingthing said:

JJ Spring Roll

Vietnamese food

Dark side

Delivery only

Fee 30 baht or variable

https://m.facebook.com/ปอเปี๊ยะจริงจัง-JJ-Spring-Roll-105097678052677/

Spring Rolls fresh or fried

Choice of fillings

I like the fresh spring rolls.

Bahn mi baguette sandwiches with lemon grass chicken or beef

Bo bun rice noodle bowls 

Small portion of fried spring roll included 

Order by fb messager or line

I have sampled their menu and found their food to be quite delicious.

The bahn mi lack pate but I don't like Vietnamese pate so no problem for me. They do have mayonnaise so if you don’t want that let them know. 

Sometimes I like to use my own Dijon mustard and Avocado on bahn mi instead of mayo.

I also pimp up their spring rolls and bo bun with my at home Sriracha and hoisin sauce.

Meat portions can be upsized for 30 baht.

Be warned that they are overwhelmed with orders now so suggest ordering during non peak meal hours.

Because of the great response from the public they plan on moving to an in house restaurant location in Pattaya not on the Darkside.

There expect more menu items including Pho.

Goes to show even in the current dreadful business environment its still possible to succeed with good products at fair prices.

Quick update for those in the area..................J J Spring Roll have now opened a premises on Khao Talo directly opposite the end of Soi 5 (where the market is)

Just tucking into a beef lemongrass sandwich.........very nice

mm.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Quick update for those in the area..................J J Spring Roll have now opened a premises on Khao Talo directly opposite the end of Soi 5 (where the market is)

Just tucking into a beef lemongrass sandwich.........very nice

I presume you mean beef and coriander (cilantro). I can't imagine lemongrass being very edible in a sandwich.

37 minutes ago, polpott said:

I presume you mean beef and coriander (cilantro). I can't imagine lemongrass being very edible in a sandwich.

There is fresh cilantro but lemongrass is a typical seasoning for Vietnamese grilled meats. What I really miss is Vietnamese grilled lemongrass chicken on the bone.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

There is fresh cilantro but lemongrass is a typical seasoning for Vietnamese grilled meats. What I really miss is Vietnamese grilled lemongrass chicken on the bone.

Lemon grass cooked bbq chicken 180 baht spatchcock bird, is the common roadside sales up here Jingthing. Guess we are lucky as it really is very good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Lemon grass cooked bbq chicken 180 baht spatchcock bird, is the common roadside sales up here Jingthing. Guess we are lucky as it really is very good.

Where is that, Charlie? I find most Thai BBQ chicken too sweet. Lemony sounds good to me.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, champers said:

Where is that, Charlie? I find most Thai BBQ chicken too sweet. Lemony sounds good to me.

Phetchabun province and specifically Wichianburi is renowned for their roadside chicken stalls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thai Chin

Chinese (mostly Sichuan) and Thai food

North Pattaya "Chinatown" off 2nd road

thai-chin Reviews: Food & Drinks in Chon Buri Pattaya– Trip.com

This is one of the existing and former local Chinese restaurants that were opened mainly to cater to Chinese tourists.

As I was devastated by the apparent closure of Chengdu restaurant, I've been seeking replacements for my Sichuan food addiction. Well, nothing has really fully replaced Chengdu for me yet in terms of the combination of quality and price, but we need to soldier on. So for now it's been Thai Chin.

I've been ordering via the Lineman app which generally offers the restaurant's menu prices but often adds quite high delivery fees. For example, it's 80 baht to Jomtien.

I've looked at their menu in person before and I'm sure that not all of their dishes are on the app, but plenty are. For example for some weird reason dumplings are not on the app, and easier to understand, hot pot style oily fish soup isn't either. 

I would never order Thai food there so no comment on their Thai food. 

So based on numerous orders, I can comment on some of the dishes on the app. 

Zha zhang mein

A cold noodle dish with a dark soy based sauce, pork, cucumbers, etc.

At 100 baht not bad, but not great (which will be a theme here)

Grilled sticks, etc.

BEST FEATURE of this restaurant! 

Many choices of meat, vegetables, and tofu.

These are quite good having a strong dominant cumin flavor as opposed to Sichuan mala.

I don't recommend the beef or the lamb, but I do suggest the tofu, chicken wings, and eggplant.

From 20 baht to 100

Fan xian ji dan mian

Egg and tomato noodle soup

At 100 baht not bad, but not great

La zi ji

Chicken nuggets (dry) highly spiced with chilies and (weak) Sichuan peppers

At 180 baht not bad, but not great

Mapo tofu 120

Just OK

Gong bao ji ding

Basically Kung Pao Chicken

At 180 baht, a little better than the other stir fry dishes I've had there

Ban liang fen

A spicy cold salad of chewy rectangular white things that I can't identify.

I enjoyed it but I haven't ordered again which probably says something. 80 baht

Sichuan dishes there that I haven't tried yet include spicy clams, Pork strips w/ fungus, and others.

The Lineman menu is mostly not in English. There are some romanized Chinese names and some Thai. But there are pictures and the Thai food sections are segregated from the Chinese so it's not very hard to figure out.

As they don't offer fresh strong Sichuan peppers in the dishes that use them, I am finding adding some Sichuian chili oil to those dishes helps the flavor. That oil can be purchased at the small Chinese grocery on 2nd road, South Pattaya, near Indigo Indian restaurant.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 1

Grab food delivery app discount codes for 8 to 14 February.

Warning! Grab has global limits on usage of their discount code redemptions on.top of the limits per customer. So there's a very good chance these codes might not actually work.

The cheeky huggers at Grab send out their discount codes only in Thai so here's the translation.

--

GrabFood gives away red packets
You can use it all week!

Enter code CNY30, discount 30%, maximum 80 baht | When ordering a minimum of 180 baht | 3 privileges / user

???? Enter code CNY40 40% discount up to 80 baht | When ordering a minimum of 180 baht | 2 privileges / user

???? Enter code CNY50 50% discount up to 90 baht | When ordering a minimum of 180 baht | 2 privileges / user | When paying via GrabPay or GrabPay Wallet only

- The discount code is valid from 8 - 14 Feb 2021.
- Discount per day is limited.

Edited by Jingthing

On 2/2/2021 at 5:44 AM, jacko45k said:

Place got a panning recently so glad to see a positive review. 

Hi

Interesting.  A friend of mine who has lived here some time used to go in, now does not.

My last visit went from previously good to merely OK ( if that )

I will try somewhere else when I next fancy a beef burger.

Jiao Zi Quan

Chinese mostly Sichuan and specialty Northern Chinese dumplings

Top San Francisco floor

Terminal 21 mall

No deliveries!

Well I ventured out to Terminal 21 mall for the first time since the beginning of the great Wuhan unpleasantness seeking a food adventure. 

Jiao Zi Quan was at the top of my wish list and happily they were open but a number of other places weren't. I wasn't in the mood to do an inventory though.

The first thing I noticed other than the full tables even off peak hours was that they had changed the menu. Not complaining,  just observing. 

Still a wonderful choice of options at surprisingly low prices relative to the local market for decent Chinese food.

What first caught my eye was the large fish in Sichuan chili oil liquid. On the current menu this is pictured as filets which is what I want. But based on a previous negative experience of a very bony whole fish instead I asked and indeed the picture was wrong. Not filets.

So anyway I over ordered as follows. 

Large pork slices in Sichuan chili oil liquid

Stir fried cauliflower 

Beef and onion dumplings

Rice, water

Everything was very good except as is the norm here the Sichuan peppers in the hot pot dish were not fresh or strong enough. But a little above average for the low local standard.

Total 500 including generous tip.

As before highly recommended.  Easily one of the best Chinese options in town considering quality and price. Too bad they don’t deliver.

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Jiao Zi Quan

Chinese mostly Sichuan and specialty Northern Chinese dumplings

Top San Francisco floor

Terminal 21 mall

No deliveries!

Well I ventured out to Terminal 21 mall for the first time since the beginning of the great Wuhan unpleasantness seeking a food adventure. 

Jiao Zi Quan was at the top of my wish list and happily they were open but a number of other places weren't. I wasn't in the mood to do an inventory though.

The first thing I noticed other than the full tables even off peak hours was that they had changed the menu. Not complaining,  just observing. 

Still a wonderful choice of options at surprisingly low prices relative to the local market for decent Chinese food.

What first caught my eye was the large fish in Sichuan chili oil liquid. On the current menu this is pictured as filets which is what I want. But based on a previous negative experience of a very bony whole fish instead I asked and indeed the picture was wrong. Not filets.

So anyway I over ordered as follows. 

Large pork slices in Sichuan chili oil liquid

Stir fried cauliflower 

Beef and onion dumplings

Rice, water

Everything was very good except as is the norm here the Sichuan peppers in the hot pot dish were not fresh or strong enough. But a little above average for the low local standard.

Total 500 including generous tip.

As before highly recommended.  Easily one of the best Chinese options in town considering quality and price. Too bad they don’t deliver.

Probably the Sichuan peppers from Macro...

On 2/7/2021 at 1:05 AM, Jingthing said:

I regret to report that the last "daily" menu for this to me almost too good to be true service was posted last Wednesday. This is/was (?) a very, very new service but I fear it's longevity may be akin to a wildebeest babe being born in front of a pride of lions. 

Oh, the humanity.

If there is a miraculous resurrection, I'll let you know. 

Can you confirm that it's closed now ? They do not reply on Facebook it seems...

1 hour ago, adexbe said:

Can you confirm that it's closed now ? They do not reply on Facebook it seems...

Yes.

Confirmed.

The original service is fully over.

It was very short lived.

However there is something else coming on Monday according to them.

The daily menu emphasis which I found so thrilling is over. It will be a new set menu.

Its their business but I don't understand how they can conclude that their daily menu concept wasn't going to be popular after such a ridiculously short test phase. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1