The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Le Freelax,

Third Road, the Soi between The Buffalo Bar and the Castle, 100 m. turn right. Michel the owner is a well-known guy among the French community since years, cheap French bistro cuisine, .

Closed now, open again, I believe, 7 January.

There is also a menu, a little more expensive now.p1030492sy9.jpg

have to check them out! Is there a Soi between buffalo bar and the castle? Never noticed, was probably distracted...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Hangme Korean Restaurant North Pattaya

My pick for best Korean if seeking an authentic, no attitude, experience. Extensive Korean menu. You can have the classic Korean BBQ (not fake Thai Korean BBQ, the real thing) but I would suggest exploring the soup, stew, pancake, and main dish menu. Of course there are the ban chan (side dishes) included with any order and they are excellent. The prices for set dishes are moderate standard Pattaya Korean prices; of course a BBQ feast order meats a la carte will get expensive (your choice). The crowd is local Korean in Pattaya's Korean district. The place isn't big enough for tour buses, and that's a blessing.

3rd road, west side, North Pattaya road end

While you're in the area if you don't know it, look around, there are other good Korean places to eat there as well. But I would suggest Hangme to start.

http://www.hangmepat...com/content/map

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

Il Primo Sole, Beach Road between sois 5 and 6. Very nice Italian restaurant. They do all the standard Italian dishes, and a great bruschetta. Prices reasonable e.g. approx 250 baht for Penne A l'Amatriciana. Also do Pizzas, though I've not had one. Sort of a strange location as you eat in a corridor! Used to be called Al Capone.

Sounds interesting...thanks for the tip. One other thing I feel people should mention is if the place has enclosed air-con seating. In this climate, this is a make or break issue for many. For Il Primo, is their corridor air-conditioned?

Nope, as it's open at the front and the back (but not overhead). However, lots of fans.

Little Wonder, in the arcade next to Kiss restaurant on 2nd Road. It's a British style greasy spoon. Typical British dishes and they do great chips (like French Fries for you Americans, but bigger). One difference, though, is for Londoners they do Pie, Mash and Liquor! Not quite the same as you would get at Manze's or Cooke's in London, but pretty good all the same. Two pies and single mash - 180 baht. Has seating inside (air-con) and outside.

• Thanks 1

Small adjustment now to my Hit and Run about

Ons Moeder Dutch Restaurant, Jomtien

I will not recommend the daily three course sets at 280 baht. My suggestion for THICK pea soup (served for example in a large bowl chock full of sausages, with brown bread and speck for 160 baht) stands, and probably some of the other a la carte items are worth exploring as well.

It's incredible what you manage to cram into your body.... day in day out experimenting at different restaurants. So much for "you are what you eat".

I prefer clean, healthy food. Healthy is more important than tasty, but I like to achieve both at a meal if I can.

It would be nice if we can cover this too. For clean, tasty food one of my favourite places is Hatchiban Ramen. There's 3 in Pattaya. Tukcom, Central 6th floor and Central Centre adjacent to MK.

Being Dutch I really love Dutch food, including the thick pea soup, but unfortunately it's not very healthy.

• Like 1

That pea soup doesnt sound very unhealthy to me. It does at least contain peas (presumably).

For something really unhealthy look no further than burgers and kebabs, neither of which would ever pass my lips.

You've got a lot to learn about health food.

The pea soup was apparently "chock full of sausages". Dutch food can be delicious, but it ain't healthy.

• Like 1

Real burgers or kebabs are not any worse than a grilled steak. Cannot see anything wrong about it.

Exactly. They're (kebabs) basically dry grilled chicken breast with salad rolled in pita bread. The only unhealthy part would be what sauces people use. If it's just a yogurt and garlic sauce, it's a very healthy meal. High protein, moderate carb and low fat with lots of fiber.

• Like 1

Real burgers or kebabs are not any worse than a grilled steak. Cannot see anything wrong about it.

Exactly. They're (kebabs) basically dry grilled chicken breast with salad rolled in pita bread. The only unhealthy part would be what sauces people use. If it's just a yogurt and garlic sauce, it's a very healthy meal. High protein, moderate carb and low fat with lots of fiber.

would kefir sauce cater to some niche markets?

Okay... Going to bed now... :P

The stuff that passes for meat on those rotating doner kebab skewers that one sees all over town has little in common with steak. In fact in most countries it would not even be described as meat. "Reconstituted animal matter" is more likely. I dont have much faith about what is in hamburgers here either.

Now if you are talking about proper kebabs (ie lumps of whole meat skewered and grilled), that is a different matter.

• Like 1

That pea soup doesnt sound very unhealthy to me. It does at least contain peas (presumably).

For something really unhealthy look no further than burgers and kebabs, neither of which would ever pass my lips.

The pea soup was apparently "chock full of sausages". Dutch food can be delicious, but it ain't healthy.

Rollmops aren't healthy?

The pea soup must still have a proportion of peas in it, which presumably makes it healthier than no peas at all.

Exactly. They're (kebabs) basically dry grilled chicken breast with salad rolled in pita bread.

And the women on Beach Road are there to practice their English.

i dont know about that, but in bangkok the chicken breasts or beef can be clearly seen as they place them on the spit at any number of stalls and restaurants on soi 3

Edited by tinfoilhat
  • Thanks 1

And the first four answers are already comments laugh.png

Something I found : restaurant Split in Soi Chayapruek. According to the owner the only "Yugo" in Thailand. The owner is from Yougoslavia, lived then 20 years in Germany where he was running several restaurants and came to Thailand a couple of years ago.

We had the grill platter. Not bad, maybe a tad too salty. Djuvec rice, cevapcici, all you would expect, including the yulicka after. The platter is 490 Baht, feeds two people and a three year old. post-6036-13567410788926_thumb.jpg

looks very yum! ambiente acceptable to dine there with guests from abroad?

it's a shop house, I'd say okay to bring guests, but it's not the Ritz really. Added bonus for you :the menu is in German.

The place has aircon, but when we were there the weather was cool enough and they had the door wide open.

Post removed---------------Please don't post inside the quoted post laugh.png

Rollmops aren't healthy?

The pea soup must still have a proportion of peas in it, which presumably makes it healthier than no peas at all.

It's the sausages mate, the sausages... but the peas are made from dehydrated split peas, not fresh peas.

Have you been picking your brains to find some healthy Dutch food? I haven't eaten rollmops for many years - you tell me if they are healthy.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

Exactly. They're (kebabs) basically dry grilled chicken breast with salad rolled in pita bread.

And the women on Beach Road are there to practice their English.

Are you here to hijack the thread? What sort of stupid comment is that?

I know exactly what goes into the kebabs I eat. If you're buying them while drunk on Walking Street, that's your problem.

Hoping to keep this "Hit and Run" brief restaurant thread fresh. Then, when people find new places over time that they would like to mention in brief, there is the space here to do that.

Anyway, here's an idea to jazz things up a bit.

If you have tried any of the places mentioned in this thread based on reading about them here, perhaps you'd like to offer some feedback?

• Like 1

Hoping to keep this "Hit and Run" brief restaurant thread fresh. Then, when people find new places over time that they would like to mention in brief, there is the space here to do that.

Anyway, here's an idea to jazz things up a bit.

If you have tried any of the places mentioned in this thread based on reading about them here, perhaps you'd like to offer some feedback?

No.

No.

There is really no need for everyone who isn't interested in participating in this thread to post No. But thanks!

Here is another very vague restaurant tip. I sniffed it out but haven't tried yet. It looked promising and hope to get there. Maybe someone will beat me to it and comment on it.

Anyway, here is a vague description.

It's an Italian restaurant in a shophouse off Soi Buakow.

To find it head south on that soi towards Pattaya Tai starting from Soi Lengkee.

Then a ways down on the right hand side, you will see a sign for an Italian restaurant pointing down that soi.

There is some kind of fried food fast food joint on that corner.

I did peruse their menu and it looked good, casual, and well priced. Mostly pastas, I think some seafood, some appetizers. Dishes such as spaghetti puttanesca. The ownership and clientele appeared young and Italian and the food on the tables looked authentic. Wasn't hungry at the time so didn't try as yet. Sorry no name to supply yet. Like I said: vague!

Edited by Jingthing

There is a Thai restaurant on Sukhumvit just across from the entrance to Soi Khaotalo (actually there are two side by side but I'm talking about the one closer to South Pattaya Rd. It's called Chok Anann but the sign is (AFAI can remember) only in Thai.

Very popular among the Thais, very reasonably priced and the food is usually good. It's one of the few places I've found that serve tom yam Pra Koop (dried, smoked fish).

The fish itself is not very good to eat but it does give the tom yam a great, smoky flavor. I suggest ordering it with sea bass, but any seafood or something from the turf will taste good as well.

Make sure you tell the staff to let the soup simmer for at least 15 minutes (they usually serve the food very quickly) because if less than that the smoky flavor wont be transferred to the soup properly.

And please share if you know of other places that serve this dish.

Been going there for 8 years and i think its the best,value for money restaraunt in Thailand.Amazing menu and great tasty food

Here is another very vague restaurant tip. I sniffed it out but haven't tried yet. It looked promising and hope to get there. Maybe someone will beat me to it and comment on it.

Anyway, here is a vague description.

It's an Italian restaurant in a shophouse off Soi Buakow.

To find it head south on that soi towards Pattaya Tai starting from Soi Lengkee.

Then a ways down on the right hand side, you will see a sign for an Italian restaurant pointing down that soi.

There is some kind of fried food fast food joint on that corner.

I did peruse their menu and it looked good, casual, and well priced. Mostly pastas, I think some seafood, some appetizers. Dishes such as spaghetti puttanesca. The ownership and clientele appeared young and Italian and the food on the tables looked authentic. Wasn't hungry at the time so didn't try as yet. Sorry no name to supply yet. Like I said: vague!

Hi

It`s "restaurante itialiano " , not an original name , run by an Italian by the name of Massimo.

He used to have an Italian restaurant & Pizzeria on soi Excite( near the soi Chayapoon end) and re located something over a year ago to where you have described.( without the pizzeria part)

I`d been to his old place several times, it was mostly Italian clientele then and amongst my favourite places.

Food I found to be excellent, prices OK also.

Not yet tried his new place, when I last looked it was busy.

• Thanks 1

There is a Thai restaurant on Sukhumvit just across from the entrance to Soi Khaotalo (actually there are two side by side but I'm talking about the one closer to South Pattaya Rd. It's called Chok Anann but the sign is (AFAI can remember) only in Thai.

Very popular among the Thais, very reasonably priced and the food is usually good. It's one of the few places I've found that serve tom yam Pra Koop (dried, smoked fish).

The fish itself is not very good to eat but it does give the tom yam a great, smoky flavor. I suggest ordering it with sea bass, but any seafood or something from the turf will taste good as well.

Make sure you tell the staff to let the soup simmer for at least 15 minutes (they usually serve the food very quickly) because if less than that the smoky flavor wont be transferred to the soup properly.

And please share if you know of other places that serve this dish.

Been going there for 8 years and i think its the best,value for money restaraunt in Thailand.Amazing menu and great tasty food

So is this on the same aide of sukumvit as soi khao noi or on the other side of sukumvit? I think it's on the same said so if you come out of soi khao noi it would be on the right correct?