The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes.

Confirmed.

The original service is fully over.

It was very short lived.

However there is something else coming on Monday according to them.

The daily menu emphasis which I found so thrilling is over. It will be a new set menu.

Its their business but I don't understand how they can conclude that their daily menu concept wasn't going to be popular after such a ridiculously short test phase. 

Perhaps just a market test to assemble a new set menu...

• Haha 1

On 2/11/2021 at 6:40 PM, Jingthing said:

Yes.

Confirmed.

The original service is fully over.

It was very short lived.

However there is something else coming on Monday according to them.

The daily menu emphasis which I found so thrilling is over. It will be a new set menu.

Its their business but I don't understand how they can conclude that their daily menu concept wasn't going to be popular after such a ridiculously short test phase. 

Maybe many people were finding the portions too small ?

35 minutes ago, adexbe said:

Maybe many people were finding the portions too small ?

Maybe they were finding the prices too low.

I'm sorry but they didn't test the concept nearly long enough. 

Let's see what their new offer is,  that is if it actually happens.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

Tigglebitties Delivery Arm called HotMeals2U has recently offered a robust selection of Mexican specials every Friday.

Hotmeals2u Order Quality Food Online With Delivery all over Pattaya

Sometimes it seems to even bleed into Saturday.

I did try their Mexican ceviche and wasn't impressed but the feature for me is their slow cooked shredded pork burrito, which is not on their regular menu (neither is the ceviche). I think it's really good. It's not carnitas per se, but still very good. 

At only 200 baht, it's a bargain as well. Free delivery for 200 baht minimum order as well presumably within a range of their location. 

Now here's an "insiders" menu hack for you to consider.

On the menu it says it includes Ranchero sauce making it a wet burrito.

Well the first two times I ordered it, no sauce, so those were dry burritos. I actually think that's their intention in the offer but perhaps a menu glitch.

So then I asked them in the comment field to include the ranchero sauce, and they did. 

So my take from that is that if you don't say anything, you'll probably get a dry burrito, but if you ask for Ranchero sauce, you'll get wet. I prefer wet. If you want to insure dry, just write, no ranchero sauce.

Again, EVERY Friday, and perhaps sometimes on Saturday as well. 

Mexican Fiesta Specials

Fiesta Friday #1

Chicken enchiladas (2), tacos (2), combo appetizer ( cheese quesadilla, jalapeno poppers, chicken taquitos ) , rice & beans, margarita (2)

Fiesta Friday #2

Chicken enchiladas (2) with rice & beans

Fiesta Friday #3

Chicken enchilada (1), taco (1), rice & beans.

Fiesta Friday #4

Combo appetizer (chicken taquitos, cheese quesadillas, jalapeno poppers).

Fiesta Friday #5

12" Flour tortilla, stuffed with slow cooked shredded pork, Mexican rice, beans, tomato, red & green onion, jalapeno peppers, cilantro and cheese. Served with homemade Ranchero sauce.

Fiesta Friday #6

Homemade Ceviche (shrimp, fish, & squid) served with corn tortilla chips

Fiesta Friday #7

Corn tortilla chips with homemade pico de gallo.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

For whatever reason, the Friday Mexican Fiesta special menu is still there today on Sunday. 

I will mention that I always pimp up my delivery burritos from there by adding Chipotle hot sauce (widely available) and sliced Avocado. So good. When fresh Jalapeños are available I use those seeds and all as well. Recently they've been at Villa but not my last visit. I won't even order a burrito unless I have a ripe Avocado in the house.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, hackjam said:

Had an excellent Indian meal at the Curry Home last night, located on Soi Buakhao, near Lengkee junction.

My favorite place in and around Pattaya right now for Indian food.

Also, see India By Nature, the outstanding Indian restaurant near the Airport bus station in Jomtien, are doing 20% off dine in and 30% off for takeaways for this month. 

I agree with you that both places have good Indian food. Curry Home used to be on my regular Indian rotation but these days I'm mainly into Indian Rasoi.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

In fairness the attraction of those places is mostly filling bellies cheaply. Not that I've been  to those places but isn't it obvious?

Is it just me who has noted that certain posters have a very similar posting style?

At least they have stopped trying to push KISS.... Instead have taken to bash places that seem to be reasonably successful. There are soooooo many good value places to try; but they seem only to complain.

Hey ho...what do I know?

• Haha 1

Nana's Georgian Kitchen

Pratumnak Pattaya

Near Cosy Beach Hotel (I think)

Delivery by GRAB

Robust menu of Georgian (not the midnight train to and grits Georgia) food. Moderate (or moderate plus) prices with choice of three more bargain priced lunch sets.

I thought to wait to post about this until I'd had numerous meals from there, but what the heck, I feel it's worth a mention just based on one. 

The country of Georgia has become a significant foodie destination and the Russian world has known about how good their food is much longer. Personally I never even had Georgian food until living in Pattaya so I don't have a personal background to judge authenticity, but I feel I can judge rough levels from good to bad.

I've had the range here, and my first impression is that Nana's easily fits on the good side of things. Plus they have a very impressive all Georgian food menu. For example they have three, count 'em three, different kinds of Hachapuri which I guess you can call Georgian pizza, but the word pizza doesn't do it justice.

I went with one of the reasonably priced lunch specials, the Khinkali lunch at 220. It included three good size Georgian pork dumplings wonderfully constructed, a tasty bean dish called Lobio and a small container of what tasted like homemade fermented dairy product. I added some Georgian hot sauce at 40, well worth it. It could have used a little bread for the bean dish but as it was delivery I used some pita bread.  This was a very satisfying lunch and it makes me want to sample the rest of their menu.

With all the pandemic related restaurant closures, I'm starting to feel a little amazed and gratful about how much good quality variety still exists here. You can still eat very well in Pattaya!

FB:

Nana's Georgian Kitchen - หน้าหลัก - เมืองพัทยา - เมนู ราคา รีวิวร้านอาหาร | Facebook

Grab menu:

Nana Georgian’s Kitchen - หนองปรือ - Food Delivery Menu | GrabFood TH

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I realize I'm kind of asking for it with this post, but I'm sincerely curious.

I've noticed recently that when I post about some more obscure "gourmet" type restaurants that offer for example Sichuan food, Georgian food, Spanish tapas, etc. that the response here to those is either minimal or non-existent. An exception may be Indian food which I'm going to assume is because many U.K. people are interested in that. But when the subject is some kind of "Cheap Charly" basic U.K. roadside cafe level of food, the interest here is much higher.

Am I (or others) wasting my time even bothering to post about such non-mass market food types as above?

Edited by Jingthing

4 minutes ago, champers said:

Know your audience.

Yeah I get that. But I'm not going to be posting about cheap U.K. food. What I do post I'm hoping will be useful to some other people that are interested in more "exotic" local options. I'm starting to feel like I'm posting into the ether with those. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I've noticed recently that when I post about some more obscure "gourmet" type restaurants that offer for example Sichuan food, Georgian food, Spanish tapas, etc. that the response here to those is either minimal or non-existent. An exception may be Indian food which I'm going to assume is because many U.K. people are interested in that. But when the subject is some kind of "Cheap Charly" basic U.K. roadside cafe level of food, the interest here is much higher.

Am I (or others) wasting my time even bothering to post about such non-mass market food types as above?

No You are not wasting your time.In the case of the 3 food types you mentioned I am not interested in the 1st 1, sorry not in to Chinese food with the possible exception of Brit Chinese food,

Georgian food had never thought about, only just glanced at the menu for mains, yes some of that would appeal .Usual problem I cannot find prices ( that'll be me, not the first time.)

Spanish tapas, yes mildly interested.

I think it is fairly natural that the most popular posts will be on food that people have familiarity with.

8 minutes ago, seasia said:

No You are not wasting your time.In the case of the 3 food types you mentioned I am not interested in the 1st 1, sorry not in to Chinese food with the possible exception of Brit Chinese food,

Georgian food had never thought about, only just glanced at the menu for mains, yes some of that would appeal .Usual problem I cannot find prices ( that'll be me, not the first time.)

Spanish tapas, yes mildly interested.

I think it is fairly natural that the most popular posts will be on food that people have familiarity with.

OK, thanks. 

On Nana's Georgian Kitchen, yes, the prices aren't on the link I provided.

They are on the Grab app if you install it. 

I gave an example of set lunches for 220. The Hachapuris (like pizza) are 300. On Grab. Don't know if that varies from the location. Some places surcharge the apps, and some don't. Understandable that they would as the apps take a brutal cut. 

I only gave those three as representative examples. I was really alluding to any type of food that isn't mass market. Mass market for this audience presumably being U.K. food, pizza, burgers, Indian. Thai as well? I'm not even sure!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I enjoy most of the posts here. I would generally expect that mass-market stuff by definition would get more hits. 

Most people eating out (or getting delivery) several times a day need to be price conscious. It should not surprise anyone that there is more interest in a good, cheap breakfast, pizza or burger than there is in where to get decent Peruvian food, although that would interest me...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Some of us have kitchens. The quality of the more 'exotic' foods are usually severely lacking along with the skill needed. You only need to look at the 'cheap' meat stacked up in the supermarkets to understand what is going into the food.

So if I want 'exotic' food, I make it myself. 

The only times I go out to eat is usually for the atmosphere of the restaurant(always open air) or if I don't have the specific equipment(Pizza). Everything else is better made at home.

So I'll tend to go to places such as Ninja on 3rd road. Not gourmet, but good fun. Not so interested in the delivery experience; but the overall restaurant experience.

Some people may be interested in ordering; though I imagine many like to get out to eat. Your posts don't cover how it is to eat in the actual restaurant.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Some of us have kitchens. The quality of the more 'exotic' foods are usually severely lacking along with the skill needed. You only need to look at the 'cheap' meat stacked up in the supermarkets to understand what is going into the food.

So if I want 'exotic' food, I make it myself. 

The only times I go out to eat is usually for the atmosphere of the restaurant(always open air) or if I don't have the specific equipment(Pizza). Everything else is better made at home.

So I'll tend to go to places such as Ninja on 3rd road. Not gourmet, but good fun. Not so interested in the delivery experience; but the overall restaurant experience.

Some people may be interested in ordering; though I imagine many like to get out to eat. Your posts don't cover how it is to eat in the actual restaurant.

I find your response kind of odd.

Its a topic about restaurants.

Its not a topic about cooking at home.

Nobody is knocking cooking at home.

Its just not the topic here. 

I don't think most of us are gourmet chefs that can easily cook better than the more decent local restaurants in many multiple cuisines.

I like to cook and what I make is good for my tastes but as I'm not a professional chef its limited. 

You make a fair personal criticism of me about delivery food.

Since the pandemic like much of the world I have shifted heavily into delivery over eating out.

As this topic is several years old perhaps you don't know that I was posting overwhelmingly about eating out before the pandemic. 

I will add though that my emphasis has always been mostly on the food rather than things like ambiance, service  or even cleanliness. 

I'm not going to make apologies for appreciating the delivery apps.

I think they're great!

In fact I've discovered many restaurants I never would have known about from the apps 

As I don't run a car or bike my geographical access to restaurants has been greatly expanded as well. I never went to the darkside restaurants but now I can get delivery from many darkside restaurants. 

But overall you sound like one person that really isn't interested in my restaurant postings as apparently if it's something you want you could and would cook it yourself better yourself.

That's fine! Thanks for your feedback.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I find your response kind of odd.

Its a topic about restaurants.

Its not a topic about cooking at home.

Nobody is knocking cooking at home.

Its just not the topic here. 

I don't think most of us are gourmet chefs that can easily cook better than the more decent local restaurants in many multiple cuisines.

I like to cook and what I make is good for my tastes but as I'm not a professional chef its limited. 

You make a fair personal criticism of me about delivery food.

Since the pandemic like much of the world I have shifted heavily into delivery over eating out.

As this topic is several years old perhaps you don't know that I was posting overwhelmingly about eating out before the pandemic. 

I will add though that my emphasis has always been mostly on the food rather than things like ambiance, service  or even cleanliness. 

I'm not going to make apologies for appreciating the delivery apps.

I think they're great!

In fact I've discovered many restaurants I never would have known about from the apps 

As I don't run a car or bike my geographical access to restaurants has been greatly expanded as well. I never went to the darkside restaurants but now I can get delivery from many darkside restaurants. 

But overall you sound like one person that really isn't interested in my restaurant postings as apparently if it's something you want you could and would cook it yourself better yourself.

That's fine! Thanks for your feedback.

I didn't read past the first line your post. Suffice to say that there was no criticism within my post. I was just pointing out a possible angle of perhaps why so little feedback.

Don't waste your time looking for offence in everything. I was simply stating my personal experience.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

I didn't read past the first line your post. Suffice to say that there was no criticism within my post. I was just pointing out a possible angle of perhaps why so little feedback.

Don't waste your time looking for offence in everything. I was simply stating my personal experience.

OK. Fine. This isn't the first time that I've found your intentions hard to understand. Is English your first  language? Sorry that you didn't bother to read my post.

Edited by Jingthing

On 2/14/2021 at 7:45 AM, champers said:

In the area this morning so tried Cheap Charlies for the first time, small English brekky for 89 Baht. 2 rashers rather fatty middle bacon, 2 nice poached eggs, 2 OK small sausages, half a lovely grilled ripe tomato and good baked beans. Also included was a thick slice of toast with good quality butter, OJ and a mug of tea or coffee. Service was pleasant and brisk. VFM. 

Hi

I have been a few times since moving to soi bukhao .About the same experience. The bacon is somewhat fatty, didn't used to be on my first 2 or 3 visits. I have fried eggs rather than poached, they are good as well.

The service must be about the fastest in the area. Friendly also.

As you say VFM.

Cheers