The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Unless I was hallucinating (again) I heard on the radio (what's that?) that there was going to be some kind of food event on the ground floor of Terminal 21 mall.

If someone has a link to share about that or better yet a first hand report,  please let er rip.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

https://m.facebook.com/Trindys-Indonesian-Foods-103811118376701/

Trindy's Indonesian

Not open yet.

Date of open unknown or whatever soon means.

Specific location unknown. 

I think Jomtien. 

If you know spit it out.

Clever marketing of them to be mysterious like that.

near junction theprassit thapraya.

• Like 1

Well the anticipation is finally over!

Ali Baba Express has just released its new totally revamped menu.

https://m.facebook.com/alibabaexpressdelivery

I'm not gonna lie. I loved the old concept of a daily menu with low prices, small portions, and very rare regional dishes to find offerings because I could order from that as kind of an Indian tapas tasting  concept. I kind of knew that original concept wouldn't last. Too good to be true, but I was surprised at how quickly it was dumped. 

This new menu is very different. 

My initial impression of the new menu is this:

Higher prices 

Set menu

No daily changing menu

Much more choice every day though 

Rare exotic choices you need to Google gone

Many more complete combo meal sets

Still generous portions of breads offered for part of the menu

Portion sizes of curries compared to the old menu UNKNOWN as I haven't ordered yet

I suppose I will eventually give their new menu a try. Some of the set combo meals sound good but not particularly cheap.  

There is a lot of well priced local competition for Indian food though and in my view their new menu doesn't radically differentiate their offering as much as the original menu. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

On 2/24/2021 at 3:38 AM, scoupeo said:

2021-02-23 15.01.23.jpg

On 2/20/2021 at 10:02 PM, scoupeo said:

near junction theprassit thapraya.

Exact location is on Thapraya road, on that section that runs down to the beach, with arch over road.

Between Tinnies and Robin Hood bar.

I think there was an Italian restaurant there before. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Plus-plus-plus....

It was possible to get a veg thali for 150 baht from several restaurants in Pattaya. I tried several.

No plus-plus.

But pxxx-poor quality.

I wondered if I was always unlucky enough to order when it was the first day of cookery classes in the kitchens.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Thujone said:

It was possible to get a veg thali for 150 baht from several restaurants in Pattaya. I tried several.

No plus-plus.

But pxxx-poor quality.

I wondered if I was always unlucky enough to order when it was the first day of cookery classes in the kitchens.

I don't think the main audience for low priced Thalis which was mainly Indian tourists when there were Indian tourists really expected much more than basic. I've watched large crowds of them seeming to enjoy such meals. Apparently not all Indians are foodies. Who knew?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I don't think the main audience for low priced Thalis which was mainly Indian tourists when there were Indian tourists really expected much more than basic. I've watched large crowds of them seeming to enjoy such meals. Apparently not all Indians are foodies. Who knew?

Indian food is great, and it is very diverse, but one thing I have found with the Indians I have met is that regardless of where they are, they generally have no interest in eating anything other than Indian food. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Indian food is great, and it is very diverse, but one thing I have found with the Indians I have met is that regardless of where they are, they generally have no interest in eating anything other than Indian food. 

I see more of them eating in McDonalds than Indian Restaurants.

• Haha 1

On 2/25/2021 at 8:52 AM, hackjam said:

Exact location is on Thapraya road, on that section that runs down to the beach, with arch over road.

Between Tinnies and Robin Hood bar.

I think there was an Italian restaurant there before. 

Saloto italian still there. Always empty, just like 99% of ridiculous overpriced italian restants.

The only one that I always see full is Pulcinella, which is the cheapest, so I guess that it means something ? Good food can be cheap and people who pay it expensive are plain ridiculous.

How can all restaurants owners be so idiots to pay staff without customers ?

• Like 1

“On the Table” at Central Festival. 

Probably been reviewed here before, but I like this place. Last night I had a beef-cheese/curry dish (฿260?)  that was pretty good. Nice, good tasting beef patty  on rice with curry and cheese. 

Boy had a combo with soup, wings and a personal pizza, wife had pork on rice dish. 

Menu is interesting and meals are typically hearty. We’ve eaten here probably 20 times and have never really been disappointed, but for perhaps the Caesar Salad (฿200?) which was okay, the dressing comes on the side and I would prefer it tossed. The waffle fries are great and they have a nice selection of sauces for them. 

Nice milkshakes and desserts as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Breakfast Buffet at Hilton Festival

Buffet was surprisingly packed this morning. Very nice selections in most categories, but no whole-ham or beefs and no Indian station.I seem to remember them having these pre-covid. 

Great selection of breads

Made to order eggs, waffles, pancakes, soups and whatnot.

Very nice fruit selection

Decent cereal and yogurt station

Four flavors of ice-cream (goes well on a hot, fresh waffle...) 

Nice sushi station

Nice cheese & cold-cut station

Plenty of Thai stuff

Hot lattes were pretty good, for buffet fare and the hot-chocolate was said to be excellent

It was pretty packed at at about nine-thirty when we got there, but no waiting we got a great table. Weather was great as was the view. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Breakfast Buffet at Hilton Festival

Buffet was surprisingly packed this morning. Very nice selections in most categories, but no whole-ham or beefs and no Indian station.I seem to remember them having these pre-covid. 

Great selection of breads

Made to order eggs, waffles, pancakes, soups and whatnot.

Very nice fruit selection

Decent cereal and yogurt station

Four flavors of ice-cream (goes well on a hot, fresh waffle...) 

Nice sushi station

Nice cheese & cold-cut station

Plenty of Thai stuff

Hot lattes were pretty good, for buffet fare and the hot-chocolate was said to be excellent

It was pretty packed at at about nine-thirty when we got there, but no waiting we got a great table. Weather was great as was the view. 

Do you know if The Hiltons Edge Buffet is open again or not.....My can't seem to find info about this.....

On 2/26/2021 at 6:32 PM, Jingthing said:

Cheap food can indeed be cheap. But quite often it is only cheap.

If you think that more expensive italian restaurants are better when they use exactly the same ingredients as the expensive ones, you must be a real champion and expert !

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Do you know if The Hiltons Edge Buffet is open again or not.....My can't seem to find info about this.....

I think that's the one I'm talking about. The big one on the 15th floor, you go down the escalator and it has indoor and outdoor seating? 

Open and busy, at least is was this morning and it's supposed to be open tomorrow morning. Breakfast is 6:30-11:00 Sat & Sun, 6:30-10:30 Mon-Fri,.

It was nice this morning, but maybe just because it was Sunday and holiday weekend. I'll report is it's similar tomorrow. 

They do not have any of the brunch specials going, so I think it's only for breakfast. 

• Like 2