BANGKOK 24 April 2019 07:32
Jingthing

The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

2 hours ago, AlexCanada said:

Beerfest at Avenue Mall.  Decided to give this place a shot since it's been posted here that the food is good.  Huge mistake.  I was handed a Russian(?) menu.  I went up to the cashier to ask for an English menu and was bad mouthed in Thai by the effeminate male sitting behind the cash register.  Guess he figured I didn't speak Thai to know what he said.  If that guy worked in Canada he would be fired instantly.  You guys can eat here but I refuse to give my money to restaurants with rude staff.  

They used to be full of Russians when they were still visiting Pattaya. I think they were located near T21 on 2nd road that time, was a few years back. Once Russians left, others had been put off and didn't go there. The rude attitude had apparantly rubbed off to the company. Not even near German gemütlichkeit, more like eating at a Novosibirsk gulag. Ambience 0/10.

That said the beers aren't bad.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AlexCanada said:

Beerfest at Avenue Mall.  Decided to give this place a shot since it's been posted here that the food is good.  Huge mistake.  I was handed a Russian(?) menu.  I went up to the cashier to ask for an English menu and was bad mouthed in Thai by the effeminate male sitting behind the cash register.  Guess he figured I didn't speak Thai to know what he said.  If that guy worked in Canada he would be fired instantly.  You guys can eat here but I refuse to give my money to restaurants with rude staff.  

Had a very different experience at Beerfest in T21.

14 hours ago, DrTuner said:

I'd wager costs to run business in NYC are a tad higher than BKK, about 5x?

Hot tip: go to BigC in sukhumvit just before 9pm (IIRC) and Mr. Donut will sell you the rest of the donuts dirt cheap, I think it was something like 10 for 100b last time I happened to be there. If that's too hard, just buy 1kg of refined sugar and eat with a spoon.

Donuts on the beach from the cake ladies are 10 Baht each or 2 for 20 Baht😉. Not strictly speaking a restaurant, but just for comparisons sake. Blueberry jam my favourite.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, DrTuner said:

They used to be full of Russians when they were still visiting Pattaya. I think they were located near T21 on 2nd road that time, was a few years back.

No, they originally opened next door to Alcazar.

• Like 1

I know there has been a lot of comments about burgers at T21, but I lost track. Can someone recommend for me, a good burger at T21?

I know there has been a lot of comments about burgers at T21, but I lost track. Can someone recommend for me, a good burger at T21?
Arno's. But they seem to have issues with getting the wellness orders right.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Enjoyed my 69 baht Bacon Burger at Carl Jr. last week.  Have had a weird craving for another one since.  I think the group agreed on Teddy's and Arno's.  There is also Jim's burger behind Central Marina.  Oddly I enjoyed my MC Burger the one time I tried it.  My buddy hated it though.  We had the sourdough melt and it was certainly not sourdough bread.  Why call it sourdough melt then?

Enjoyed my 69 baht Bacon Burger at Carl Jr. last week.  Have had a weird craving for another one since.  I think the group agreed on Teddy's and Arno's.  There is also Jim's burger behind Central Marina.  Oddly I enjoyed my MC Burger the one time I tried it.  My buddy hated it though.  We had the sourdough melt and it was certainly not sourdough bread.  Why call it sourdough melt then?
Teddy's no.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Posted (edited)

Nawab

Indian and Bangladeshi Restaurant

Corner location

South Pattaya 2nd road roughly across from City Walk

My understanding is that this restaurant used to be located on Pratumnak Hill but not sure.

The outside menu presents rather predictable Indian food choices but also a rather robust menu of Bangladeshi dishes. They are mixed up on the menu so you'd have to know the food to tell the difference. The prices are a tad under moderate for the Pattaya market.

I went with chicken legs tandoori, four legs at 180 baht.

Sadly to my taste the chicken was dry and the flavoring rather lackluster.

Also had two Bangladeshi side dishes, tomato bharta 80, and mashed potato bharta 50.

These are fairly basic dishes with mustard oil being the dominant flavor. I asked for very spicy and lots of mustard oil and the request was well met.

Chapatis at 25 baht. 

So as you can read it was a mixed bag for me. The Bangladeshi dishes were good enough to stimulate a potential repeat visit (but no rush) and I haven't tried an actual curry dish there yet. I won't be ordering tandoori there again though. So jury is still out on this place for me. 

Walking down the road towards South Pattaya Road I noticed yet another new Indian/Bangladeshi restaurant! Yes, as I've said before, it's almost getting ridiculous. Are we in Pattaya or Pune?

This place is roughly across from Delhi Darbar (yes another Indian restaurant, ha ha). I scanned the menu quickly. Yes the standard Indian and Bangladeshi dishes. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Miscellaneous Snippets at or near Avenue Mall

Robin Hood Tavern which I went to seeking their Wednesday night Thai buffet which I saw advertised on Facebook today greeted me with no have Thai buffet. 

Checked out the new indoor Avenue Mall aircon food court at peak dinner hour. Almost no customers and it looked like over half the vendors were empty. Hmmm. Not inspired to eat there especially compared to T21. Does anyone know what the RENT is on one of those places? 

Oriental "Fusion" (across the street)

Previously mentioned multiple times here

They've finally consolidated the menu. Now only Thai, Italian, and maybe some Chinese. They used to have a number of other international choice categories as well such as Malaysian but they never actually were doing that completely. 

Jingcheng Chinese Restaurant

Fully CLOSED!

Has been closed for a long time already but finally all the windows are covered.

This place was one floor up from ground facing the front of the mall.

For a brief period of time they were doing some of the best Chinese food in town. From fancy dishes like Peking Duck to Sichuan standards.

Then the food declined. 

It was very large and ambitious. But for some reason they didn't find enough customers or tours. So … game over.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Not sure what the rent is currently for Avenue mall's new indoor food court but before the renovations all booths were 100 baht per day.  Many were double booths. 

Edited by AlexCanada

50 minutes ago, AlexCanada said:

Not sure what the rent is currently for Avenue mall's new indoor food court but before the renovations all booths were 100 baht per day.  Many were double booths. 

Wow. That's cheap. I reckon the indoor place would be much more expensive than that. 

Jingcheng Chinese Restaurant - I couldn’t sit down and study the menu because they didn’t have one. I turned down the offer of a flashy food list on an iPad. So we left. Nice looking place though.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, NewGuy said:

Jingcheng Chinese Restaurant - I couldn’t sit down and study the menu because they didn’t have one. I turned down the offer of a flashy food list on an iPad. So we left. Nice looking place though.

Absolutely the best food in Thailand is to be found in Thai "tin cup" restaurant's. No menu, only one dish on offer.

Stopped at one for lunch, in a small town, en route to Koh Chang, with a friend over on holiday from the UK. He insisted that he didn't like Thai food but agreed to try it. Stewed pork with rice, 40 baht.

The restaurant was heaving, all Thais (always a good sign). All trestle tables and we joined 4 RTP guys, having their lunch. We all cleared our plates and my friend had a second plate. When paying the bill he asked me what kind of pork it was. I pointed out to him that they only served meat from pigs heads. He baulked at that but had to admit that it was the best food he'd eaten in Thailand.

Edited by Spidey
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Robin Hood Tavern which I went to seeking their Wednesday night Thai buffet which I saw advertised on Facebook today greeted me with no have Thai buffet. 

This place has totally lost the plot !