BANGKOK
Jingthing

The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

One of the more idiotic things I have read on this board and as you know, there is a lot of idiocy here.

In fact you might remember that I(a Brit) and yourself had a discussion about the quality of food, wherein you did not come off well at all.
Spouting nonsense about foodstuffs about which you knew nothing.

Brits are famous for being well travelled and therefore would have a wider knowledge of foodstuffs that the average American, who may rarely leave their country. The latter having skewed ideas of what authentic ingredients might be.

No, it’s Europeans that are well travelled, not Brits....
  • Sad 1

I’ve been quite a few places, and it seems to me there’s good food everywhere and crap everywhere.

• Like 1

A flame has been removed  also a couple of off topic posts

14 hours ago, mogandave said:

No, it’s Europeans that are well travelled, not Brits....

That worldwide Empire didn't build itself.

• Like 1

KFC new menu item.  You have to admit that looks good.  My idea is if everyone orders it and sends a photo to KFC they might actually make it look like that.  Didn't taste bad but nothing like the picture.  149 baht with coke and fries.

ch1.png

Chizza-3.png

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Haha 1

KFC new menu item.  You have to admit that looks good.  My idea is if everyone orders it and sends a photo to KFC they might actually make it look like that.  Didn't taste bad but nothing like the picture.

ch1.png.1d6b10a28ae55c73bca84a51ac8e57e9.png
Chizza-3.png.6cb6cff6943aecc83d710c703e7843a6.png

Hmm, Thais eating cheese...

8 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Hmm, Thais eating cheese...

Or some plastic imitation of unknown origins. Looks like something I'll try when I need to bulk up 10kg in a few seconds. 

15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The name is a bit obscene. 

Matches the look, doesn't it.

• Haha 2

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:10 PM, Jingthing said:

New Delhi coming to Pattaya?

The remarkable explosion of Indian restaurants in Pattaya is old news. It's almost ridiculous. Yes, I agree with the general opinion that most of them are not particularly good. But some of them are at least decent.

So what's up?

Two New Delhi chains coming to Pattaya.

I have no idea of the specific business relationships between the Indian companies and these two new places but they are at least suggesting such a relationship.

First one is Chowringhee Lane near the Fascino pharmacy on Pattaya Klang (not North, Klang).

This place is not open yet. The brand specializes in Kolkata style kathi rolls but is from New Delhi not Kolkata.

http://www.34chowringheelane.com/

The second one has recently just opened.

It's Chicken Khurana.

Pattaya Soi 16 between 2nd road (Marine Plaza Hotel) and Walking Street, closer to Walking Street, near Indian night clubs.

This is a nighttime and ALL NIGHT restaurant. 

They have a cool looking gaudy sign.

Sadly I have missed trying it two times already as I arrived too early.

Now I know the hours. 

They open roughly at 8 P.M. and open all night.

Prices are moderate for the local Indian restaurant market which means cheap Charlies should not apply. They have a surprising complete Northern Indian menu, veg. and non-veg.

They also have Tibetan Momos (dumplings) made fresh, both with chicken and veg. 

OK, I have now had the chance to try Chicken Khurana (which is very close to Walking Street) two times.

The quick review is that I found the food very good but not mind blowing.

Yes I have had mind blowing Indian food in my life so I'm spoiled that way.

First of all, arrive as late as you can.

I was there last night at 10 PM and they hadn't even turned on the tandoori oven yet so they couldn't do a tandoor roti.

As far as the Momos on the menu, basically forget about them. I was honestly told nobody orders them (told to me as I was ordering them, what am I, chopped liver?) so that the only way is an advance order. I don't do advance orders just as I don't do queues for food, sorry.

So I have tried all these dishes --

Tandoori aloo, excellent and only 69 baht. Large pieces of potato with skin on with a tasty stuffing included some paneer cheese. I had this dish only one time before anywhere at a vegetarian restaurant in Pattaya, and Khurana's version was miles ahead. 

Rajma masala (pinto beans w/ curry sauce gravy, classic Northern dish) 159, very good, among the  better versions I have had locally

Chapati -- very good

Nan -- barely average

Plain basmati rice -- hard to mess that up and they didn't

Chili paneer cheese 119, not sure if this is usually a tandoor dish which I thought it was supposed to be but as the oven wasn't on, I got kind of an Indian Chinese stir fry w/ onions and green peppers. No complaints. Very good flavor.

Chicken kadai curry 279. I prefer chicken on the bone but I decided not to specify to see how they normally do it. Indeed it was chicken on the bone. I know many westerners always prefer filet though, so if that's what you want, you can ask. The chicken pieces were good and meaty but meat portion a bit sparse. The gravy was very thick and rich with very good flavor but for me lacking the complexity that enters into mind blowing territory. So overall very good is all. 

Their prices are pretty normal for Pattaya Indian food, meaning yeah it's very hard to eat cheaply. 

If you're willing to pay those normal prices there, you could do much worse than this place, and in fact I would recommend that you try it. Very good Indian food is nothing to sneeze at.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

If I enter an Indian restaurant and they do no not have the oven going I leave, and tell them why.