BANGKOK 21 February 2019 23:39
Jingthing

The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Thanks for detailed info. Sounds like a good and low priced Indian buffet. Not convenient enough for me to try though especially as the timings are unpredictable.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The Thai Express branch on Naklua Road looks like it is closed. They took over their premises from a Coffee Club branch that closed; must be a year or so ago. They are next door to Kiss and an unnamed Thai resto next place along, so were always up against it. There are 3 new Chinese places opened up in the area lately, maybe another is on the way.

The Thai Express branch on Naklua Road looks like it is closed. They took over their premises from a Coffee Club branch that closed; must be a year or so ago. They are next door to Kiss and an unnamed Thai resto next place along, so were always up against it. There are 3 new Chinese places opened up in the area lately, maybe another is on the way.

Three new Chinese places near Naklua road? I'm interested. Could you more specific about where they are? Thanks.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Three new Chinese places near Naklua road? I'm interested. Could you more specific about where they are? Thanks.

One outside Windmill Hotel is a seafood place - pick your own from tanks. One opposite Kiss may be Chinese buffet joint like a poor mans Shabushi. One at what used be Shamalamadingdong is Chinese fast food which opened, then closed then opened again. Also one further up on the RHS toward Ayira Palace hotel. This seems to be very quiet and is more downscale than a restaurant. I would call it a caff. 

That is 4 in all, though I am not quite sure about 1. They are all on the main road and there is at least one more on the sois; one "Chinese" seems to be for coach trippers and is Russian/SE Asian ownership.

I cannot vouch for my info being 100% accurate as places can open and shut at a rapid pace and a Chinese resto may have non Chinese owners. Who knows?

You could get a baht bus to the Ayaira Palace hotel and take a stroll back towards Dolphin Circus. I know it is a bit of a trek for you but if you get a good meal out of it it might be worthwhile.

I would say that most of the Chinese up this way are monied and younger. Plenty of them in my condo complex, no problems that I have seen or heard and plenty in the hotels which are mostly pretty decent. Some places off Naklua Road cater to the bus tours. Could be sex shows or magic shows or magic sex shows. One or two eating places. I would steer clear as packs of dogs run free on the big car park.

Good hunting and bon appetit.

Edited by champers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks. I used to go up there fairly often so it's not really off my radar. Lately I've been stopping at T21 though. Actually the dumpling place we've been talking about in T21 is related to a Naklua Road Chinese restaurant that either used to exist or still does. But it sounds like there may be some new stuff to sniff around up there, so I will have a look sometime and see what I can find. 

Cheers.

47 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Thanks. I used to go up there fairly often so it's not really off my radar. Lately I've been stopping at T21 though. Actually the dumpling place we've been talking about in T21 is related to a Naklua Road Chinese restaurant that either used to exist or still does. But it sounds like there may be some new stuff to sniff around up there, so I will have a look sometime and see what I can find. 

Cheers.

The trend is for more, in my opinion. The Brighton Grand hotel has been open a year and the Aiyara Palace is completing an extension. Both have many Chinese patrons. You will see many Chinese in the area. As well as Chinese restauraunts benefitting, so too do others such as the German and Italian ones. Some of the younger Chinese also hit the beer bars at night. Young Chinese people are well educated and well travelled. Thousands, if not millions, study abroad. A week in Pattaya holds no fears for them. 

• Like 1

I know I'm odd, but I wouldn't mind if 90 percent of the restaurants in town were Chinese, so bring them on! I guess this could have been predicted but years ago during the "Russian occupation" I really didn't see it coming. I've even noticed the baht bus minders on South Pattaya road have stopped saying Davai! 

• Sad 1

Surely the 'educated' non-tour group adventurous and independent Chinese tourist are here to experience Thailand, Eating food they can have back home must be pretty low on their agenda, the big restaurant for the coach horde I can understand, but I won't hold out hope for Authentic Chinese restaurant that caters for walk in customs. But looking at T21, with 1 dumpling place and the other in the food court, there may be hope that it could stick around. 

Yes Chinese places opens everywhere , it's crazy.  Naklua now more Chinese than ever before. 

6 hours ago, digbeth said:

Surely the 'educated' non-tour group adventurous and independent Chinese tourist are here to experience Thailand, Eating food they can have back home must be pretty low on their agenda, the big restaurant for the coach horde I can understand, but I won't hold out hope for Authentic Chinese restaurant that caters for walk in customs. But looking at T21, with 1 dumpling place and the other in the food court, there may be hope that it could stick around. 

There are already several authentic Chinese restaurants in town that cater mostly to independent Chinese tourists, walk ins not tours. I've mentioned several but haven't been to them all. I'm not saying it's the new Hong Kong or ever will be here but compared to five or ten years ago it's bloody fantastic for Chinese food lovers. Many of these places also have some Thai dishes folded into the menu but based on my observations the Chinese are mostly just ordering Chinese food. 

Edited by Jingthing

On 12/12/2018 at 6:04 PM, Jingthing said:

Possibly exciting new restaurant on the way.
Mr. Pho as far as I pho the first dedicated Vietnamese Pho specialty restaurant ever in Pattaya is being prepared for opening I don't know when.
Its on Tappraya on the bottom area of the hill between Pattaya and Jomtien near the well known Residence Garden hotel/restaurant.

There were people eating in this place today, so I suppose that it's open.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

There were people eating in this place today, so I suppose that it's open.

I had noticed they've started to turn on the lights so it did look imminent. However I have gone into new restaurants before with people in there and found they were staff/owners/insiders eating or meeting and not really open yet. So based on what you said, probably open, but the proof is in the soup. Thanks. 

Edited by Jingthing