BANGKOK 19 April 2019 10:10
Jingthing

The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

3 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Mexico is not part of South America. 🙂

No, I've never eaten Salmon Ceviche and anyway I was referring to your Trigger fish comment. So perhaps you misunderstood.

Yeah, that must be it.

Posts removed.

Oh please.

Pattaya has a lot.

Not Ethiopian but they have in Bangkok, close than PP.

But

French -- Multiple

Belgian -- Multiple

Pizza -- Scads

Iraq -- I think probably not specifically but many Middle Eastern restaurants here including numerous Iranian ones (Iran and Iraq rice preparation is similar) 

Malaysian -- Malaysia Café, Soi 16 Pattaya Klang

Deli -- not sure what kind of deli you mean

Vietnamese, Mr. Pho Tappraya and others that are more Thai style Viet

Chinese -- several and growing with food from various regions

Punjabi Dhaba

Soi 8, yes that Soi 8, between 2nd road and Beach, Pattaya

I heard about this place from a funny Indian travel vlogger as I'm not normally to be found on Soi 8.

He's no foodie. His priority is that a place has chicken biryani which is what he always orders and that it's cheap enough. (180)

It looked OK on his video so I thought, what the hey, how bad could it be?

Punjabi Dhaba is a restaurant aimed at Indian tourists that's priced a tad below the Pattaya market average.

I tried the 1/2 tandoori chicken 180, dal tadka 100, and 2 tandoor rotis 20 each. Asked for spicy.

The tandoori chicken was well spiced and not too dry, served on a plate rather than a sizzling pan. It included a quite lovely kind of pickle salad of a different style than I've seen locally. The meat portion was not impressive. Two smaller legs and some other smallish piece.

The dal was more soupy than I prefer, but well spiced as I had requested. However there was a major flaw. There was too much salt. I don't completely blame them because it's not uncommon for extra salt to be added when you ask for more spicy, but still I wasn't very happy with it, so I blame them somewhat.

The breads were as expected.

Overall, this place definitely didn't suck.

You wouldn't call it a destination restaurant but if you're in the Soi 8 area, yeah that Soi 8, and you want some lower priced Indian food, Punjabi Dhaba is waiting … 

• Like 1

Multiple off topic and bickering posts removed

• Like 1

Who'd have thought it?

Not one authentic Italian restaurant in the whole of Pattaya; http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/food/2019/02/28/there-are-44-italian-restaurants-in-thailand-rome-approves-of/

Seems we need to go to Ambassador City to get authentic ingredients; http://www.ambassadorcityjomtien.com/restaurant-jomtien-beach/pasta-pasta-restaurant-jomtien.html

🙄

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Who'd have thought it?

Not one authentic Italian restaurant in the whole of Pattaya; http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/food/2019/02/28/there-are-44-italian-restaurants-in-thailand-rome-approves-of/

Seems we need to go to Ambassador City to get authentic ingredients; http://www.ambassadorcityjomtien.com/restaurant-jomtien-beach/pasta-pasta-restaurant-jomtien.html

🙄

Have eaten in the Italian restaurant in Ambassador City and found the food average and very overpriced.

Agree that there aren't any truly authentic Italian Restaurants in Thailand, they just can't get the correct ingredients. Can't make an authentic pasta sauce with tinned tomatoes or Thai tomatoes. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Have eaten in the Italian restaurant in Ambassador City and found the food average and very overpriced.

Agree that there aren't any truly authentic Italian Restaurants in Thailand, they just can't get the correct ingredients. Can't make an authentic pasta sauce with tinned tomatoes or Thai tomatoes. 

Actually you can. The problem is the source. Most American brands sell fake products.

But if you buy the real thing...; 

san.png.0a16a437b2a5e6123a64cb4295f11c5d.png

1 minute ago, KneeDeep said:

Actually you can. The problem is the source. Most American brands sell fake products.

But if you buy the real thing...; 

san.png.0a16a437b2a5e6123a64cb4295f11c5d.png

I have eaten out many times in Italy. I can assure you that a decent Italian restaurant, in Italy, doesn't use tinned tomatoes.

• Like 1

Just now, Spidey said:

I have eaten out many times in Italy. I can assure you that a decent Italian restaurant, in Italy, doesn't use tinned tomatoes.

My girlfriend is Italian, from Capri....so I think I might have some idea of what can be utilised and what not.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

My girlfriend is Italian, from Capri....so I think I might have some idea of what can be utilised and what not.

I have been to Naples a number of times and eaten in several restaurants there. Not a tinned tomato in sight. A true Neopolitan would rather die, than put tinned tomatoes in a sauce, particularly as it's the home of San Marzano tomatoes, probably the best cooking tomatoes in the world. You've never had a real pizza unless you've eaten one on Naples made with fresh San Marzano tomatoes (not tinned).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Spidey said:

So ridiculous ! there is nothing that cannot be bought in Thailand, and Italian import it themselves anyway !

The only reason being that most people know nothing and cannot see the difference between good ingredients and bad ones, better sell them cheap $$shit at a high price than good expensive ingredients that they are not even able to recognize.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I have been to Naples a number of times and eaten in several restaurants there. Not a tinned tomato in sight. A true Neopolitan would rather die, than put tinned tomatoes in a sauce, particularly as it's the home of San Marzano tomatoes, probably the best cooking tomatoes in the world. You've never had a real pizza unless you've eaten one on Naples made with fresh San Marzano tomatoes (not tinned).

Oh please....I live on Capri for some of the year. Do you walk into the kitchen to see what they use? Just stop it, instead of pretending to be some kind of expert.

31 minutes ago, myshem said:

So ridiculous ! there is nothing that cannot be bought in Thailand, and Italian import it themselves anyway !

The only reason being that most people know nothing and cannot see the difference between good ingredients and bad ones, better sell them cheap $$shit at a high price than good expensive ingredients that they are not even able to recognize.

Indeed, I know of 'authentic' restaurants here that regularly pass off cheaper hard cheeses for Parmigiano-Reggiano.

I import my own authentic ingredients, as most of what is sold in the supermarkets is the lowest quality sold at high prices.

If not that, then it comes from a different country altogether. Danish mozzarella, Australian Feta....what next?

38 minutes ago, Spidey said:

So I guess in your eyes this tinned product is not authentic; https://www.qualigeo.eu/en/prodotto-qualigeo/pomodoro-s-marzano-dellagro-sarnese-nocerino-dop/