Jump to content
BANGKOK 21 May 2019 16:21
Jingthing

The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Recommended Posts

On 3/11/2019 at 10:38 PM, champers said:

A heads up for Sonjas on Soi 4, about 125 Metres up from Beach Road. German owned they have a wide ranging menu of European favourites plus plenty of Thai options. I have recently enjoyed Fish and Chips and Nuremburg sausages with Mash and fried onions (instead of sauerkraut). The mash was delicious. I have been with a couple of Thais who like the Thai food.

The separate (ish) bar is good too. Happy hour till 6pm. Big Leos are 110 Baht.

There are some fun bar girls who can chat if you like, or not. They are older than most beerbar girls, are not pushy but are available for takeout if you so wish (I don't from places I like to eat in). 

Do you allude to the eat here or take out option? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Do you allude to the eat here or take out option? 

You can do both if you wish.

I have a drink, sometimes a drink and a meal, sometimes only a meal. The ladies are an optional extra. Take them or leave them; I leave them.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Thai restaurant has probably been reviewed somewhere on this thread before but after dinner there last night with friends, I wanted to give it a two thumbs up recommendation. The restaurant is called Mayes (although some spell it May's) located on Theprasit a short walk from Thappraya (past Maggs). They promote themselves as urban Thai (whatever that means) but the food is more northern Thai. The atmosphere is pleasant and the service excellent. Everyone enjoyed their meal, both Thai and farang. The restaurant is small, air-conditioned, decorative plants, welcome refreshing towels and small pineapple juice, paper placemats but linen napkins. The large menu is well planned (even a vegetarian page). Prices are slightly upmarket for Thai food but beautifully presented and well worth the price. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

This Thai restaurant has probably been reviewed somewhere on this thread before but after dinner there last night with friends, I wanted to give it a two thumbs up recommendation. The restaurant is called Mayes (although some spell it May's) located on Theprasit a short walk from Thappraya (past Maggs). They promote themselves as urban Thai (whatever that means) but the food is more northern Thai. The atmosphere is pleasant and the service excellent. Everyone enjoyed their meal, both Thai and farang. The restaurant is small, air-conditioned, decorative plants, welcome refreshing towels and small pineapple juice, paper placemats but linen napkins. The large menu is well planned (even a vegetarian page). Prices are slightly upmarket for Thai food but beautifully presented and well worth the price. 

I went there once. Had the massaman, which was a big portion, but tasted a bit strange, like too much cinnamon or something. Place had a BKK food joint vibe. Never went back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I went there once. Had the massaman, which was a big portion, but tasted a bit strange, like too much cinnamon or something. Place had a BKK food joint vibe. Never went back.
Me too. One time. I enjoyed it well enough but found the food too frou frou and stylized for my taste and for me not worth it. They do try hard though and I understand why other people like it.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dave's Mexican Restaurant what happen I see they closed at the beginning of 2019?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, they closed.

Try Taco Taco. 

 

https://www.facebook.com/TacoTacoTexMex/

I dont have Facebook account.     Could you provide their location?   Thanks      How do they compare to Sunrise?

Edited by Spaniel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Spaniel said:

I dont have Facebook account.     Could you provide their location?   Thanks      How do they compare to Sunrise?

Map here.

It's different.

Just try it. 

 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d13229501-Reviews-Taco_Taco_Pattaya-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2019 at 5:11 AM, dannywla said:

Dave's Mexican Restaurant what happen I see they closed at the beginning of 2019?

 

Another guy who was thinking that because he likes to eat Mexican food he can cook it and manage a restaurant... so funny... From the day he opened I already knew that we will quickly close.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Nam the Vietnamese Pho restaurant on Pratumnak road near Residence Garden is closed until the 24th or 25th because of a family emergency according to a sign on the door I saw today.
 
I have eaten there twice. First I had the Pho--very nice, 60 baht for the small and 95 for the large which I had. Good value and that lovely Pho taste.
 
Next visit I had the rice noodle bowl with grilled pork (or beef, not sure) and small fried rolls for 115 baht. It was a special. It was excellent, really hit the spot.
 
This place is now officially on my short list of 'visit quite often' restaurants. Can't wait for them to open again.
The rice noodle grilled pork bowls are always on the menu.

I recommend the grilled minced shrimp on sugarcane served with fillings and rice paper wrap. Also on the menu.

Please support this place. Only real Pho in town!

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The rice noodle grilled pork bowls are always on the menu.

That's good to know, but the menu I was brought didn't have it. I asked for any specials 'mee menu piset mai?' and was brought two printed sheets of paper, one of which had the rice bowls, so anyone going who doesn't see it right away be sure to ask. The owner seems more on the ball about informing about the specials, but I had to ask the waitress I had on the second visit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...