The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

And now for the best kept secret on the dark side.... Norbert's.

Run by an Austrian former chef, this "restaurant" comprises of a huge massive wooden table on the patio of his house.

The menu is written on black boards leaning against a wall. In German only. Come hungry, the portions are huge. If you dare trying the dessert, make sure you share it with at least one other hungry person. This person should not be the driver as the amount of saeng som soaked raspberries on the huge pile of vanilla ice cream topped off with egg liquor would boost you beyond the legal limit.

Other food ranges from curry wurst over maultaschen to Gulasch.

As I'm not really sure whether he has a restaurant license, I will reveal the location by PM only. :P

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

Le Freelax,

Third Road, the Soi between The Buffalo Bar and the Castle, 100 m. turn right. Michel the owner is a well-known guy among the French community since years, cheap French bistro cuisine, .

Closed now, open again, I believe, 7 January.

There is also a menu, a little more expensive now.p1030492sy9.jpg

have to check them out! Is there a Soi between buffalo bar and the castle? Never noticed, was probably distracted...

Yep, we should check that out sometime soon, looks good!

Le Freelax,

Third Road, the Soi between The Buffalo Bar and the Castle, 100 m. turn right. Michel the owner is a well-known guy among the French community since years, cheap French bistro cuisine, .

have to check them out! Is there a Soi between buffalo bar and the castle? Never noticed, was probably distracted...

Buffalo bar, the Castle or the menu ? biggrin.png

Armenia Restaurant Expanding

Many people know Armenia restaurant from their various locations.

For example Jomtien Beach Road at about Soi Welcome Plaza, Naklua Road not far north from the Dolphin, two locations on Pratumnak Hill I can't describe.

NOW a new visible location.

Thappraya Road roughly across from Hanuman Statue area, not far from Simon's Fish and Chips.

Armenia features Armenian and Russian food catering to a mostly Russian crowd.

I have tried a number of dishes at their Jomtien Beach Road location and found them pretty OK, nothing mind blowing, but some interesting dishes like warm stuffed grape leaves, pork balls w/ pilaf like rice baked in a pot with crispy wafer thingies, etc. In other words, they've got borscht, but they've got more stuff too you probably haven't seen elsewhere. The prices are pushing it but not shocking.

This new location is so new they weren't even serving yet tonight. So this is like a NEWS FLASH.

The place replaces the La Scala Cafe location which is ... no more.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

Le Freelax,

Buffalo bar, the Castle or the menu ? biggrin.png

in that order :lol:

There is a Thai restaurant on Sukhumvit just across from the entrance to Soi Khaotalo (actually there are two side by side but I'm talking about the one closer to South Pattaya Rd. It's called Chok Anann but the sign is (AFAI can remember) only in Thai.

Very popular among the Thais, very reasonably priced and the food is usually good. It's one of the few places I've found that serve tom yam Pra Koop (dried, smoked fish).

The fish itself is not very good to eat but it does give the tom yam a great, smoky flavor. I suggest ordering it with sea bass, but any seafood or something from the turf will taste good as well.

Make sure you tell the staff to let the soup simmer for at least 15 minutes (they usually serve the food very quickly) because if less than that the smoky flavor wont be transferred to the soup properly.

And please share if you know of other places that serve this dish.

Been going there for 8 years and i think its the best,value for money restaraunt in Thailand.Amazing menu and great tasty food

So is this on the same aide of sukumvit as soi khao noi or on the other side of sukumvit? I think it's on the same said so if you come out of soi khao noi it would be on the right correct?

If you come out of Soi Khaonoi just drive straight across Sukhumvit and it's the restaurant that's closest to Pattaya Tai of the two restaurants you will find there.

Great idea about the restaurant map!

I was going to suggest the Choke Anan restaurant on Sukhumvit, opposite Soi KhaoTalo but already done... :)

So... for a similar type of restaurant, try the "Flying Green Vegetable" which is located on Pattaya Nua, almost opposite the HealthLand Spa and a gas station.

Try the Curried crab, or morning glory with belly pork. Dishes between 40B and 120B

Good service and value for money in both above places. Infact I wanted to have my wedding banquet at Choke Anan but the missus vetoed it.

PS. Good thread. Me likey.

• Thanks 1

There is a Thai restaurant on Sukhumvit just across from the entrance to Soi Khaotalo (actually there are two side by side but I'm talking about the one closer to South Pattaya Rd. It's called Chok Anann but the sign is (AFAI can remember) only in Thai.

Very popular among the Thais, very reasonably priced and the food is usually good. It's one of the few places I've found that serve tom yam Pra Koop (dried, smoked fish).

The fish itself is not very good to eat but it does give the tom yam a great, smoky flavor. I suggest ordering it with sea bass, but any seafood or something from the turf will taste good as well.

Make sure you tell the staff to let the soup simmer for at least 15 minutes (they usually serve the food very quickly) because if less than that the smoky flavor wont be transferred to the soup properly.

And please share if you know of other places that serve this dish.

Been going there for 8 years and i think its the best,value for money restaraunt in Thailand.Amazing menu and great tasty food

So is this on the same aide of sukumvit as soi khao noi or on the other side of sukumvit? I think it's on the same said so if you come out of soi khao noi it would be on the right correct?

If you come out of Soi Khaonoi just drive straight across Sukhumvit and it's the restaurant that's closest to Pattaya Tai of the two restaurants you will find there.

Great idea about the restaurant map!

I thought the map idea was a good one as well but unless others take the time to add restaurants to the map then it's a pointless exercise.

Even your instructions of coming out of Soi Khoa Noi and driving straight across Sukumvit is ridiculous and impossible to even do. You would have to take a left on Sukumvit and head down to the first U-turn. Then after you U-turn and now are traveling North on Sukumvit you are saying the resturant is on the West (left) side of the road next to what exactly? Mc Donald's? King Power Duty Free? Amway?

Why not just mark it on the map?

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=216772654245189722830.0004d276d391000cbece5&msa=0

I really like The Swiss Restaurant on Soi Diamond. I have seen numerous reviews where it is quoted as too expensive and the staff too aloof. Two of us go there and get a really good beef fondue and a bottle of the promotion Red Wine and walk away with change from 2000 Baht. I know a Fondue is soooo 70's but once in a while with the right partner its a fun night out. Salad Bar, Soup and Garlic Bread included in the price. I also know loads of people don't like Thai Beef but if you are going to deep fry it in hot oil then smother in the lovely home-made sauces then is OK by me.

Sounds like fun to take a Thai partner who would never have seen a fondue before. Do they have other meats, maybe a mixed platter? Where on Soi Diamond?

I really like The Swiss Restaurant on Soi Diamond. I have seen numerous reviews where it is quoted as too expensive and the staff too aloof. Two of us go there and get a really good beef fondue and a bottle of the promotion Red Wine and walk away with change from 2000 Baht. I know a Fondue is soooo 70's but once in a while with the right partner its a fun night out. Salad Bar, Soup and Garlic Bread included in the price. I also know loads of people don't like Thai Beef but if you are going to deep fry it in hot oil then smother in the lovely home-made sauces then is OK by me.

Sounds like fun to take a Thai partner who would never have seen a fondue before. Do they have other meats, maybe a mixed platter? Where on Soi Diamond?

Yes there is a huge menu of what I guess is traditional Swiss/German fare. Its about halfway down Soi Diamond on the North Side. There are 2 or three swiss places there, this one has a pizzeria/cafe attached. I will try and mark it on the Map,

Big thanks to whomever just added a bunch of restaurants to the map. Thanks for keeping the spirit alive.

Jayman I appear to have added a mark with letter A in the position of the Swiss Restaurant on Soi Diamond but am a bit of a google novice so have no idea how to add text or a restaurant symbol. The text was to be Swiss Restaurant enjoyable fondue. Sorry for my ineptness maybe you can help.

Edited to add after reading your other thread I have sorted it out I believe.

Edited by RabC

I thought the map idea was a good one as well but unless others take the time to add restaurants to the map then it's a pointless exercise.

Even your instructions of coming out of Soi Khoa Noi and driving straight across Sukumvit is ridiculous and impossible to even do. You would have to take a left on Sukumvit and head down to the first U-turn. Then after you U-turn and now are traveling North on Sukumvit you are saying the resturant is on the West (left) side of the road next to what exactly? Mc Donald's? King Power Duty Free? Amway?

Why not just mark it on the map?

https://maps.google....000cbece5&msa=0

I was talking about Soi Khao Talo, not Soi Khao Noi. The place is now marked on the map.

• Like 1

The best noodle soup restaurant I've found in Pattaya is called Maephongsri (sign in Thai only) and is located on Sukhumvit 42/1, next to the Aroy Italy shop. That's on the "bright" side of the Sukhumvit, a couple of hundred meters before Pattaya Klang when heading north. I think it closes at 4 PM. Really good noodle soup for about 50 Baht - way better than the stuff you get in the ubiquitous road side noodle shop stalls.

It's been added to Pattaya Restaurant Map.

• Like 1

Here is another very vague restaurant tip. I sniffed it out but haven't tried yet. It looked promising and hope to get there. Maybe someone will beat me to it and comment on it.

Anyway, here is a vague description.

It's an Italian restaurant in a shophouse off Soi Buakow.

To find it head south on that soi towards Pattaya Tai starting from Soi Lengkee.

Then a ways down on the right hand side, you will see a sign for an Italian restaurant pointing down that soi.

There is some kind of fried food fast food joint on that corner.

I did peruse their menu and it looked good, casual, and well priced. Mostly pastas, I think some seafood, some appetizers. Dishes such as spaghetti puttanesca. The ownership and clientele appeared young and Italian and the food on the tables looked authentic. Wasn't hungry at the time so didn't try as yet. Sorry no name to supply yet. Like I said: vague!

Hi

It`s "restaurante itialiano " , not an original name , run by an Italian by the name of Massimo.

He used to have an Italian restaurant & Pizzeria on soi Excite( near the soi Chayapoon end) and re located something over a year ago to where you have described.( without the pizzeria part)

I`d been to his old place several times, it was mostly Italian clientele then and amongst my favourite places.

Food I found to be excellent, prices OK also.

Not yet tried his new place, when I last looked it was busy.

Well, probably still the same place, but the name of the place I was talking about is

La Taverna del Passatore

On the corner as described before is some kind of fried fast food place named something like EASY

• Thanks 1

Suggested New Feature of the Hit and Run Thread, the Hot New Hangout for Pattaya Restaurant Info:

MINI Hit and Runs

MINI Hit and Runs are like Hit and Runs, but more limited.

They can be little snippets about general restaurant NEWS.

For example:

Restaurant CLOSINGS of well known established restaurants

Restaurant OPENINGS of new and interesting places, no need at all for any kind of review, but suggest writing what you know about it

Restaurants that look new and interesting that are in PRE-OPENING phase, especially ones that are obviously going to be major operations

Restaurants that are known by many but have significantly changed formats, menu offerings, etc.

Restaurant business GOSSIP

The Hit and Run Pattaya (and Naklua/Jomtien) Restaurant Thread.

It Ain't ONLY about REVIEWS anymore.

No need to LABEL your Mini Hit and Run as a Mini if you don't want to bother; the content is King and speaks for itself.

Edited by Jingthing

The Legend of Chicken Cuisine

(UNUSUAL Chinese food and also normal Thai food)

You'd go for the Chinese food if you go at all.

Located at the Avenue Mall off 2nd Road above Shenanigans.

They have been open in the past but catering to Chinese tour GROUPS.

A few nights ago they had a big grand bigger opening staff party and now will be expanding and marketing more to a wider public.

I viewed a menu outside. It was in Chinese and Russian. I requested an English menu and eventually was given one. It was only a SUBSET of the Chinese/Russian menu. w00t.gif (!!!)w00t.gif I attempted to talk to two staff members about the food. Both literally ran away and never returned. But this was party night so kind of understandable.

This is for the more adventurous Chinese food lovers. Organ meats. Bone marrow. Etc.

The old menu was big SETS only, now they have an a la carte menu but most of it looks like the same food from the sets.

Expensive for feasts. I think there is TAIWANESE influence.

Maybe some actual Chinese people can post here and explain it to us Anglos because I don't really get it.

Facebook site: BEFORE the opening, when they had set menus only (I think):

http://www.facebook....296463167104293

OK, I DO get that some kind of hot pot is a big part of what they are selling, but I still don't get it. For example one dish that was featured that looked really good was called Huadiao Chicken which I find on the net is associated with Taiwan and is a stew while I think of hot pot being more like a soup. I was trying to find out if the Huadiao Chicken dish is an organ meat dish or not there, but like I said, they ran away.

BTW: My hunch is that this restaurant is a variation of this kind of place in Taiwan:

http://www.openrice....tm?shopid=49604

If so, maybe we should feel very lucky if you can figure out the menu, let me know!

Edited by Jingthing

Continuing:

OK this is a picture of Huadiao chicken pot from the place I mentioned in Taiwan.

The Pattaya place has a similar dish and it's clearly a big deal for that place.

It looks really good. What's in it? Regular chicken meat or fun stuff like guts? It sure doesn't look like a hot pot soupy dish to me. Are you supposed to dip side order things in that thing or is that the dish? I read another place that the waiter comes around and cooks thick noodles in that dish. Really? It looks so thick already.

post-37101-0-76029500-1357594007_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

Continuing:

OK this is a picture of Huadiao chicken pot from the place I mentioned in Taiwan.

The Pattaya place has a similar dish and it's clearly a big deal for that place.

It looks really good. What's in it? Regular chicken meat or fun stuff like guts? It sure doesn't look like a hot pot soupy dish to me. Are you supposed to dip side order things in that thing or is that the dish? I read another place that the waiter comes around and cooks thick noodles in that dish. Really? It looks so thick already.

post-37101-0-76029500-1357594007_thumb.j

Nooooooooooooooooo sad.png Why don't you stick to what you're good at - writing interesting and informative reviews for places you've actually had a meal at w00t.gif . There's loads of other media outlets around town that push these places.

• Like 1

There's loads of other media outlets around town that push these places.

Where is there any there ANY English language media explaining the Chinese food offerings at the Legend of Chinese Chicken? Please supply a link. I have seen no media about it whatsoever. Not promotional (which wouldn't help if not informative). Not EXPLAINING their concept to non-Chinese. I think it is a major new restaurant offering something not seen before in Pattaya or maybe even Thailand. In my view, fits in well with the Hit and Run umbrella. Edited by Jingthing

"The Place" Israeli Restaurant

Menu in English and Hebrew and maybe Thai (I forget)

Hard to find Israeli specialties: Shakshuka served with bread (this is very similar to Mexican Huevos Rancheros I kid you not!), Hummus with spicy meat, Hummus with organ meats, Baba ghanoush, Full platter dinner meals, Homemade soups such as chicken or lentil

I think probably the best Israeli "place" in town and yes of course an Israeli tourist hangout

Soi Boukaow, not too far from Pattaya Tai

https://foursquare.c...a52fadb3461eb25

Thanks for your post! Stopped into The Place today and ordered Hummus with Meat & Baba Ganoush; both were very good. We especially liked the hummus plate, never having ordered it this way before. The hummus was deep & rich tasting, with a balanced blend of garlic, tahini, lemon juice, etc. In the center, was a mound of seasoned, slightly saucy ground beef (somewhat similar to taco flavor): 220 baht, including (2) small, warmed pita breads. Good place. Photo's not from The Place, but similar.

cool.png

post-72929-0-27329000-1357627163_thumb.j

Edited by Michaelaway
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Canterbury Tales for best breakfast English style the works including black pudding for 120 baht and Tetleys Tea.

Nana Deli soi Kao Noi for a roast Dinner all freash veg is as it should be not a load of mush

Kebab place on 2nd road, just off Pattaya Tai on the right. Could do with proper knives and forks not plastic, but has air con.

I bit of a boring selction and leaning towards the English palet, but as requested its my Hit and run review

• Like 1