Jump to content
BANGKOK
Jingthing

The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Recommended Posts

What a strange statement.

Not strange at all in the context. I've been using the place for delivery. I obviously don't love the food but think some items are OK. So why would I bother to go out of my way without a vehicle to visit such a place? Answer. No reason at all.

 

I probably should have mentioned that I would visit Pho Mr. Nam on Tappraya instead. Even though I don't like their location either for me their location is much better than the reviewed restaurant and I also like their food much better as well. But Pho Mr. Nam isn't on Grab.

 

Cheers.

 

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Not strange at all in the context. I've been using the place for delivery. I obviously don't love the food but think some items are OK. So why would I bother to go out of my way without a vehicle to visit such a place? Answer. No reason at all.

Sometimes there is a reason, this is especially true with pizza deliveries. The time the food spends in the containers ruins it. Also, sometimes there are better items available when in the restaurant. I get your point though, but when it comes to food I tend to be the glass half full kind of dude. I do get dissappointed a lot, but then there are gems that make it all worth it. You have to eat your way through a mountain of mediocrity to find them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Sometimes there is a reason, this is especially true with pizza deliveries. The time the food spends in the containers ruins it. Also, sometimes there are better items available when in the restaurant. I get your point though, but when it comes to food I tend to be the glass half full kind of dude. I do get dissappointed a lot, but then there are gems that make it all worth it. You have to eat your way through a mountain of mediocrity to find them.

You don't get all you can drink fountain drinks when you get stuff delivered.  KFC is one that comes to mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, in THIS particular case I have full confidence that I can't imagine any reason at all that I would go out of my way to go their physical address. But I might order from them again on Grab delivery if I feel like some OK Vietnamese food. Enough already. 

Edited by Jingthing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2019 at 1:09 AM, Jingthing said:

The fresh spring rolls weren't bad either though a different style than I've ever seen before.

I tried this a couple of months back as I'm a big fan of fresh spring rolls. They were horrid. The non meat part was just as expected but they put pig skin, I think likely boiled, in as the meat. I promptly removed all the pig skin and ate the rest. I have had fresh spring rolls in many different countries including Vietnam and never seen anything so disgusting.

 

Locally I have found a couple of locations where they are edible, one on the dark side and one off Pattaya Tai, both called Vientiane, although they say they are not (currently) related. The dark side one is situated over a small stocked pond. The other one seems to mainly cater to tourist busses. The menus are almost identical with the dark side one being a bit more expensive. Well worth a visit for Vietnamese food.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Jingthing said:

 

I probably should have mentioned that I would visit Pho Mr. Nam on Tappraya instead. Even though I don't like their location either for me their location is much better than the reviewed restaurant and I also like their food much better as well. But Pho Mr. Nam isn't on Grab.

 

Pho Mr. Nam has re-opened?

 

Did not know that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gargamon said:

Locally I have found a couple of locations where they are edible, one on the dark side and one off Pattaya Tai, both called Vientiane, although they say they are not (currently) related. The dark side one is situated over a small stocked pond. The other one seems to mainly cater to tourist busses. The menus are almost identical with the dark side one being a bit more expensive. Well worth a visit for Vietnamese food.

 

Vientiane is an institution in Pattaya.

 

Originally on Second Road, they had to re-locate due to the Avenue being built.

 

They then moved to Walking Street, then South Road, and then the Darkside.

 

The menu has not changed in decades, and I have always thought the Vietnamese side of the menu is great. As you say, the spring rolls are best around, as is the Naem Nuang.

 

BUT, I do eat regularly at Saep Der and really like their Spring Rolls etc. as I do some of their soups, some you can't get anywhere else, like Mee Kathi.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to eat at Vientiane alot when they were on 2nd road and then occasionally on Pattaya Tai. So dated impressions. Not really a Vietnamese restaurant but a limited menu of Vietnamese options. Yes their Naem Nuang is locally famous and was definitely good when I had it. That's a Viet dish that is popular with Thais unlike Pho. I think they are on some delivery services.

 

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Vientiane is an institution in Pattaya.
 
Originally on Second Road, they had to re-locate due to the Avenue being built.
 
They then moved to Walking Street, then South Road, and then the Darkside.
 
The menu has not changed in decades, and I have always thought the Vietnamese side of the menu is great. As you say, the spring rolls are best around, as is the Naem Nuang.
 
BUT, I do eat regularly at Saep Der and really like their Spring Rolls etc. as I do some of their soups, some you can't get anywhere else, like Mee Kathi.
 
Mee Kathi? That does sound good. That's a Thai dish and that place does also have Thai food. I don't recall seeing Mee Kathi on their Grab menu.

Anyone know some other places in town to get Mee Kathi?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tequila Sunrise

Chaiyaphruek Road, Jomtien Beach

Very recently changed ownership

Reportedly (according to a reliable source) now out of business

 

This place was well known for cheap but good roast dinners and other comfort food. No, it was not a Mexican restaurant.

 

If this report of closure is incorrect, please post to correct it ASAP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just me I suppose, but my expectations would always be lower when using services like grab, than eating in the restaurant itself.

 

I can not in anyway imagine that something coming out of a kitchen fresh, could be compared to something that has to travel a distance to get to you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

If this report of closure is incorrect, please post to correct it ASAP.

Correct.

 

Also Sunnys on the Darkside has closed its doors today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just me I suppose, but my expectations would always be lower when using services like grab, than eating in the restaurant itself.
 
I can not in anyway imagine that something coming out of a kitchen fresh, could be compared to something that has to travel a distance to get to you.
Well the hot food had arrived plenty hot from that Vietnamese place so I'm not going to blame the meh factor on delivery. For example a well developed Pho broth wouldn't lose that flavor in a 5 to 10 minute ride.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...