Jump to content
BANGKOK
Jingthing

The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Recommended Posts

Hi champers

 

Interesting thanks, so that is just past the soi Wong Amat/soi 18/2 turn off on what has been mere wasteland for a long while?

 

I will take a look when I get back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, seasia said:

Hi champers

 

Interesting thanks, so that is just past the soi Wong Amat/soi 18/2 turn off on what has been mere wasteland for a long while?

 

I will take a look when I get back.

Yes, just empty land for ages. Took about a month to build and they have used gravel for footpaths so a bit uneven. Was about 5 and still light when we just gave it the once over and it was getting busy then. Had a band on opening night last Friday, nothing since.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Siam Ranjuan

More unusual Thai food (ancient style recipes and Southern as well as more familiar modern standards)

Terminal 21 Mall

Tokyo Floor

 

I've noticed this place before and yes the menu looked interesting but it's somewhat on the expensive side and the precious old timey décor kind of put me off.

 

There was a member that posted about it soon after the mall opened saying his Thai girlfriend loved the place but he was less excited and also not excited about paying the bill. 

 

Well now they're on Eatigo with discounts up to 50 percent, so why not?

 

Although I can find nothing at all about the place on the web in English anyway and I found out they have a Bangkok location apparently called Diamond D (also can't find anything online about that location either) the writeup on Eatigo intrigued me.

 

Their signature dishes are on the very first page of the menu left hand side which I didn't realize until after I ordered.


They are:

Spicy pork or beef soup with shrimp paste

Curry soup with chicken which in a style that is a mix of Massaman and Javanese curry

Pork (finely minced) in chili paste with Southern Thai flavors

 

But I still ordered well considering I loved the meal:

Shrimp with sator beans (stinky beans) in shrimp paste (Southern Thai classic) 250

The signature chili paste dish mentioned above but with chicken 160

Spicy pork ribs soup 220

 

All the dishes were excellent. The portions were on the smallish side so certainly didn't leave stuffed. The shrimp sator as good a version of that dish as I've had anywhere. The finely minced chicken dish with southern flavor great but I think it would be tastier with pork. The spicy soup was a thicker style than you usually get and was rather tom yummy. 

 

So from my POV I think this is one of the better Thai food restaurants in town. So thank you to Eatigo for finally nudging me into this place. Better late than never.

 

No tax added. 

10 percent service charge added. 

But there's more.

This place figures the 10 percent based on the total BEFORE the Eatigo discount. They're allowed to do that under Eatigo rules but most restaurants don't. So now you know.

 

 

Edited by Jingthing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2019 at 12:49 PM, Jingthing said:

Tequila Sunrise

Chaiyaphruek Road, Jomtien Beach

Very recently changed ownership

Reportedly (according to a reliable source) now out of business

 

This place was well known for cheap but good roast dinners and other comfort food. No, it was not a Mexican restaurant.

 

If this report of closure is incorrect, please post to correct it ASAP.

As you probably know it was taken over by the gentleman who owned The Ritz in Jomtien, excellent restaurant. Since he took over Tequila Sunrise we've been waiting for his promised Sunday lunch but to no avail, I don't think he ever actually opened the place in daytime.

 

 I'm amazed given his age he took it on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Siam Ranjuan

More unusual Thai food (ancient style recipes and Southern as well as more familiar modern standards)

Terminal 21 Mall

Tokyo Floor

 

I've noticed this place before and yes the menu looked interesting but it's somewhat on the expensive side and the precious old timey décor kind of put me off.

 

There was a member that posted about it soon after the mall opened saying his Thai girlfriend loved the place but he was less excited and also not excited about paying the bill. 

 

Well now they're on Eatigo with discounts up to 50 percent, so why not?

 

Although I can find nothing at all about the place on the web in English anyway and I found out they have a Bangkok location apparently called Diamond D (also can't find anything online about that location either) the writeup on Eatigo intrigued me.

 

Their signature dishes are on the very first page of the menu left hand side which I didn't realize until after I ordered.


They are:

Spicy pork or beef soup with shrimp paste

Curry soup with chicken which in a style that is a mix of Massaman and Javanese curry

Pork (finely minced) in chili paste with Southern Thai flavors

 

But I still ordered well considering I loved the meal:

Shrimp with sator beans (stinky beans) in shrimp paste (Southern Thai classic) 250

The signature chili paste dish mentioned above but with chicken 160

Spicy pork ribs soup 220

 

All the dishes were excellent. The portions were on the smallish side so certainly didn't leave stuffed. The shrimp sator as good a version of that dish as I've had anywhere. The finely minced chicken dish with southern flavor great but I think it would be tastier with pork. The spicy soup was a thicker style than you usually get and was rather tom yummy. 

 

So from my POV I think this is one of the better Thai food restaurants in town. So thank you to Eatigo for finally nudging me into this place. Better late than never.

 

No tax added. 

10 percent service charge added. 

But there's more.

This place figures the 10 percent based on the total BEFORE the Eatigo discount. They're allowed to do that under Eatigo rules but most restaurants don't. So now you know.

 

 

I've had places figure the 10% service charge and the 7% vat on the total bill, then add that to the bill after the Eatigo discount.  I was annoyed!

Edited by ricklev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ricklev said:

I've had places figure the 10% service charge and the 7% vat on the total bill, then add that to the bill after the Eatigo discount.  I was annoyed!

Yes, I would be too. You generally have to try the specific places to find out their specific policies because you book in advance and they don't tell you such details on the app. In the case of Siam Ranjuan what they do wouldn't stop me from returning. It would be nice if the staff actually got all the service charges that we pay but sadly that isn't always the case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that Eatigo app legit?  Like are there any catches at all or do you just get a discount with no catches whatsoever other than making a reservation?

 

Sounds like there is one catch according to the above poster, where they add taxes and service charge after, effectively watering down the discount

Edited by shdmn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well the hot food had arrived plenty hot from that Vietnamese place so I'm not going to blame the meh factor on delivery. For example a well developed Pho broth wouldn't lose that flavor in a 5 to 10 minute ride.

Well, my thought was not directed especially at a ... Vietnamese place (?) 

 

And was just a personal thought, that I could never judge a restaurant, from how their food travels, compared to how it is when it comes out of the kitchen.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kinyara said:

As you probably know it was taken over by the gentleman who owned The Ritz in Jomtien, excellent restaurant. Since he took over Tequila Sunrise we've been waiting for his promised Sunday lunch but to no avail, I don't think he ever actually opened the place in daytime.

 

 I'm amazed given his age he took it on.

Khun John?

It its same guy, must be tipping 90

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Well, my thought was not directed especially at a ... Vietnamese place (?) 

 

And was just a personal thought, that I could never judge a restaurant, from how their food travels, compared to how it is when it comes out of the kitchen.

 

Fair enough. It kind of depends on different factors. I wouldn't say always or never on that question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hackjam said:

Khun John?

It its same guy, must be tipping 90

John Rumbellow? there has been much drama with the 'Ritz' related to his departures/subsequent operation 

If he can manage to bring in the quality of food from the original Ritz in a now much better location then it's worth a visit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2019 at 7:06 PM, White Christmas13 said:

So I will be in Pattaya again shortly has anybody been to this

place and if yes what is the food like I know it is German food

and you might not like it but being native German I would

love to try

 

http://www.meetingpoint-darkside.com/?fbclid=IwAR2OAUM_0D4jw4R9wq5NsTQv0zw6RSPwTm1kgP_BoP32AOsoUUagKgThpp8

It is good there. Bavarian home cooking with big portions. The breakfast for something like a ridiculous 15x Baht is outstanding. Usually I need to share the meals there or take a doggie bag back home.

 

Even far away for me on the darkside, I'm a frequent customer. 

Wolfgang, the host, is a very polite guy, recommends well and gives his guests a nice welcome feeling.

I saw quite a few other restaurant owners having a meal there, what is a recommendation by itself.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...