BANGKOK
Jingthing

The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Ippudo

https://ippudo.co.th/

High quality but not cheap international Ramen chain

Central Pattaya Beach Mall, ground floor, beach side near the new food court 

This isn't a detailed review. I tried it one time and I will be back. First of all this place is clearly a MONEY MACHINE.  The design just sucks in the customers. It's quite a small location, limited tables, very close together, giving the feeling of scarcity, desirability. It's open not enclosed so all the passing people can see all the eating people. 

I tried one of the featured ramens on the outside sign. This one had curly thicker noodles with a broth of rich chicken and fish powder with the usual pork, egg, and seaweed. About 220 baht but add 17 percent plus plus. Free refills green tea is a reasonable 30 baht. There is a current promotion of a discount on appetizers if you buy a pint of Asahi beer.

On the ramen I sampled, every element was excellent but for some reason the sum of the parts didn't quite add up to the best bowl of ramen I've had in Pattaya, Thailand, or the U.S. (I've never been to Japan).

But I've yet to try what they're most famous for, their Tonkotsu broth (creamy high fat pork bones). Also in the menu they seem to be pushing their longer thin noodles. So I definitely have to try those things there. 

I just had my ramen with green tea and was still hungry. So if you come hungry maybe order a side dish.

If you like ramen, you're going to go there. You don't need me to tell you to. Have fun.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Can anyone recommend a reasonable priced buffet for Christmas dinner now that Cherrys has closed? 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Ippudo

https://ippudo.co.th/

High quality but not cheap international Ramen chain

Central Pattaya Beach Mall, ground floor, beach side near the new food court 

This isn't a detailed review. I tried it one time and I will be back. First of all this place is clearly a MONEY MACHINE.  The design just sucks in the customers. It's quite a small location, limited tables, very close together, giving the feeling of scarcity, desirability. It's open not enclosed so all the passing people can see all the eating people. 

I tried one of the featured ramens on the outside sign. This one had curly thicker noodles with a broth of rich chicken and fish powder with the usual pork, egg, and seaweed. About 220 baht but add 17 percent plus plus. Free refills green tea is a reasonable 30 baht. There is a current promotion of a discount on appetizers if you buy a pint of Asahi beer.

On the ramen I sampled, every element was excellent but for some reason the sum of the parts didn't quite add up to the best bowl of ramen I've had in Pattaya, Thailand, or the U.S. (I've never been to Japan).

But I've yet to try what they're most famous for, their Tonkotsu broth (creamy high fat pork bones). Also in the menu they seem to be pushing their longer thin noodles. So I definitely have to try those things there. 

I just had my ramen with green tea and was still hungry. So if you come hungry maybe order a side dish.

If you like ramen, you're going to go there. You don't need me to tell you to. Have fun.

I think it is pretty good, but agree pricey for here noodles, broth and a few pieces of pork.  The loc. at Silom in BKK is usually packed.

It is highly regarded in Japan.  Even ANA airlines serves it as a snack in Bus. Class in the Tonkotsu form and it is very good.

Good to know thanks have not been to Central for awhile,  will check it out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

Can anyone recommend a reasonable priced buffet for Christmas dinner now that Cherrys has closed? 

Has Cherrys not just moved, sure I have seen a Cherrys near Soi land office???

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, hackjam said:

I'm pretty sure they are totally kaput. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/22/2019 at 4:16 PM, hackjam said:

There has been a Cherry's Restaurant on Soi Korpai 4 for a number of years. Cannot say that I've even seen a customer within.

After the, frankly mediocre, experiences at the Third Road location, nothing would have made me want to enter.

• Like 2

Mr Tums on Soi 3 Cosy Beach Rd. First Soi on the right after the 711 on the corner. A cheap family run Thai restaurant with some foreign dishes including oysters in garlic butter. No loud music or loud sport. A nice family run restaurant. Not worth crossing town for but worth a visit if you are in the area.

• Like 2

Golden Dragon Restaurant

(or maybe)

China Dragon Restaurant

Definitely something Dragon

3rd road

Part between flyover and  Pattaya Tai

South Pattaya

I noticed this place on the from Jomtien baht bus detour because of construction.

It looked kind of cheesy from the bus but you never know. It's not an area that I would usually stop at. 

If you're in this area and have seen or see this restaurant could you do us a favor and have a look at their menu and report about it here? Or even eat there, he he. 

Thanks

On 10/22/2019 at 10:44 AM, JohnC said:

Lek Hotel? Sportsman Pub. There must be loads

Yes loads with set menus, not everyone likes turkey or wants to spend Christmas in a pub which is why Cherrys was ideal. 

Hi

Another Italian restaurant coming to naklua soon.

Work started a few days ago on a former Family Mart shop on soi 27 ( opposite Tesco Express )

I have chatted a bit to the owner, a Sicilian.

Talked about the dishes he will offer, including a range of pizzas etc.

Hopefully he succeeds but I cannot help thinking there is a fair bit of competition already, including the very highly rated Grottinos not far away.

He estimates to be open by Mid December.

I will probably give it a try.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, seasia said:

Hi

Another Italian restaurant coming to naklua soon.

Work started a few days ago on a former Family Mart shop on soi 27 ( opposite Tesco Express )

I have chatted a bit to the owner, a Sicilian.

Talked about the dishes he will offer, including a range of pizzas etc.

Hopefully he succeeds but I cannot help thinking there is a fair bit of competition already, including the very highly rated Grottinos not far away.

He estimates to be open by Mid December.

I will probably give it a try.

I will try it too. I hope they succeed; they are going to be starting off in high season. How things pan out after will be key. Plenty of Chinese and Koreans round Naklua these days and many seem to enjoy Italian food. Good luck to them.

• Like 1

Yes, I have mentioned this before. Italian food is more resilient in an environment where western food restaurants are struggling and closing. 

• Like 2