The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

14 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

You who like pizza may have an answer;

Why is Pizza more expensive here than in the US or EU?

I don't know any other food being so.

Is that the case? A medium/large pizza in Dominos in Pattaya is US$ 4.80/6.25. How much are they in the US/EU?

57 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

It isn’t, unless it uses imported ingredients. Strange assertion. 

2 hours ago, NextG said:

It isn’t, unless it uses imported ingredients. Strange assertion. 

It makes alsways sense to define the item under discussion until a consensus is reached. In this case a pizza. For me that means a Neapolitan Pizza which calls for imported ingrediants, like real Mozarella, Olive Oil, Carciofi etc.

I find that under these conditions, a pizza is surprizingly cheap here. I would rather like to pay the double prize, if they were not so stingy with the size of toppings, which they must be given the exuberant import taxes.

This is as well true for any other dish in a restaurant. The real ingredience is the biggest cost driver.

9 minutes ago, moogradod said:

It makes alsways sense to define the item under discussion until a consensus is reached. In this case a pizza. For me that means a Neapolitan Pizza which calls for imported ingrediants, like real Mozarella, Olive Oil, Carciofi etc.

I find that under these conditions, a pizza is surprizingly cheap here. I would rather like to pay the double prize, if they were not so stingy with the size of toppings, which they must be given the exuberant import taxes.

This is as well true for any other dish in a restaurant. The real ingredience is the biggest cost driver.

The way to get around that it to supply them with the necessary ingredients. 

6 minutes ago, NextG said:

The way to get around that it to supply them with the necessary ingredients. 

You would not believe it but I have contemplated this idea before ! Instead of paying for the pizza I would then go for an expensive wine

Just now, moogradod said:

You would not believe it but I have contemplated this idea before ! Instead of paying for the pizza I would then go for an expensive wine

So what has stopped you? Obtain the quality of ingredients that reach your standard. Then pop along to the pizzaiolo with the wood fired oven. You pay him for the base pizza and a little extra for his work. No problem to take your own standard of wine along and offer to pay corkage. Life is too short to suffer bad food. Don’t waste your time eating rubbish if you can afford a good quality. No decently run restaurant will refuse. They still make money on the pizza, with further profit on a corkage charge. You of course will return to the place time and again due to being happy with the quality and service. 

4 hours ago, GypsyT said:

A pizza at the level of Frankie's would be 20 to 25 dollars in the US.

Here it's 9 to 12.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Not so different to visiting Lan Pho seafood market, buying the seafood you like and then getting one of the surrounding eateries to prepare it in the style that you want. 
Don’t be afraid nor embarrassed. Everything is possible. 

• Haha 1

"Is that the case? A medium/large pizza in Dominos in Pattaya is US$ 4.80/6.25. How much are they in the US/EU?"

Here's the answer how much pizza buyer must work for it;

"The hourly minimum wage of Thailand (1.26 USD) is way lower than that of the USA, which is around 7.25 USD."

• Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 3:39 AM, Jingthing said:

Let's Wok

American Chinese food Soi Lengkee

However, tasty food is tasty food. I have had a better than expected experiences at Let's Wok on Soi Lengkee located in the American Bar and Grill restaurant.

+1 for Let's Wok.

It's tasty and good.

My fav is Beef in black pepper sauce (Grab 360 baht + rice 50 baht) but beef sometimes chewy, sadly.

Sweet&Sour hong kong style, has been good every time. But small portion (Grab 280 baht and add on rice 50 Baht)

Grab add 30% on top of restaurants prices, if I'm not wrong. Even I take that into consideration, my conclusion is:

Very good food, but overpriced compared to portion size.

I would order much more, if meals cost 50-70% less.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Shop mak said:

+1 for Let's Wok.

It's tasty and good.

My fav is Beef in black pepper sauce (Grab 360 baht + rice 50 baht) but beef sometimes chewy, sadly.

Sweet&Sour hong kong style, has been good every time. But small portion (Grab 280 baht and add on rice 50 Baht)

Grab add 30% on top of restaurants prices, if I'm not wrong. Even I take that into consideration, my conclusion is:

Very good food, but overpriced compared to portion size.

I would order much more, if meals cost 50-70% less.

I agree with you that their food is overpriced. For example even their rice which would typically be 10 to 20 baht in a regular Chinese restaurant.

Of course they are free to charge what they want but I choose to not pay their prices and use authentic Chinese restaurants instead. Which are generally not cheap here either.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dragon Belly restaurant on Beach Rd Soi 3 has opened in The Moon hotel. It proclaims it produces "modern Chinese" food. This includes dim sun which is not commonly found in Pattaya, I believe.

It is part of the A-One group as are many properties on that soi.

I imagine it will be very busy the next few days so maybe wait a week before trying it out.

Edited by champers
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

On the recent subject of pizza, I used to enjoy pizza from a stall run by an Italian guy half way down Paratumnak Soi 5 where the road forks.  He was there most nights from 18:30 onward. 

I went on Friday evening and noticed a new shop had opened where he used to park outside of and wondered if he’d been moved on as he was nowhere to be found (I had a drive around to see if I could spot him elsewhere) 

Pizza was tasty and decent value for money. 

Does anyone know where he is these days? TIA. 

• 1 month later...