The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

I think no need to make a big thing about olive oil in this space! We don't even have a Korean chicken outlet in town yet (except if that one I saw before is still there and you kind of need to be Korean to eat there anyway). When we get one (I think we will, it's a trend) we don't know yet if they will be using olive oil anyway. So I think this is kind of a back burner thing for now.

That's what happens when I get flamed for explaining scientific fact. As long as I don't get flamed again I'll drop it.

Cheers

Yeah, y'oughta drop it... but talk to a few Italians, Greeks and Spaniards first.

• Like 1

And the first four answers are already comments laugh.png

Something I found : restaurant Split in Soi Chayapruek. According to the owner the only "Yugo" in Thailand. The owner is from Yougoslavia, lived then 20 years in Germany where he was running several restaurants and came to Thailand a couple of years ago.

We had the grill platter. Not bad, maybe a tad too salty. Djuvec rice, cevapcici, all you would expect, including the yulicka after. The platter is 490 Baht, feeds two people and a three year old. post-6036-13567410788926_thumb.jpg

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Am I the only one that has never had Yugo food? What the heck is he talking about? cevapcici, yulicka! animal, vegetable, or mineral?

• Haha 1

Something I found : restaurant Split in Soi Chayapruek. According to the owner the only "Yugo" in Thailand. The owner is from Yougoslavia, lived then 20 years in Germany where he was running several restaurants and came to Thailand a couple of years ago.

We had the grill platter. Not bad, maybe a tad too salty. Djuvec rice, cevapcici, all you would expect, including the yulicka after. The platter is 490 Baht, feeds two people and a three year old. post-6036-13567410788926_thumb.jpg

Am I the only one that has never had Yugo food? What the heck is he talking about? cevapcici, yulicka! animal, vegetable, or mineral?

Yeah. This thread is all about getting people out of their compote zone ... coffee1.gif

(google?)

Yeah. This thread is all about getting people out of their compote zone ... coffee1.gif

(google?)

The food is supposed to be from Dalmatia, which is part of Croatia. Main city is Split, hence the name. However, when I went there they had run out of the Dalmatia food, but we survived. It was a pity, because I like Med food.

• Thanks 1

And the olive oil discussion is over. If you want to discuss this in a friendly and amicable manner feel encouraged to open a thread in the farang food forum.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

(google?)

The food is supposed to be from Dalmatia, which is part of Croatia. Main city is Split, hence the name. However, when I went there they had run out of the Dalmatia food, but we survived. It was a pity, because I like Med food.

I've been on the Dalmatia coast - Split, Dubrovnik, etc. - dam_n, must have missed those restaurants - certainly missed those dishes.

La Taverna del Passatore

Italian Restaurant, Italian Style

A casual open air Italian bistro style shophouse restaurant. Italian owned and run. Italian customers. Good signs, right? Yes, indeed.

Menu includes appetizers, pastas 200 bahtish plus range (wide choice of pastas including Tagliatelle, an extensive and authentic sophisticated range of sauces, main meat dishes served with choice of potato (pork, fish, chicken, some beef) 200 to 300 bahtish range, and desserts like tiramisu and panacotta (100 bahtish).

Dishes come with some Italian bread.

Also side dishes like spinach, 80 baht.

Also featured: DAILY specials, generally a special of the night pasta and special of the night meat offering.

Location: off Soi Buakow, head south from Soi Lengkee about one block. On the corner to to the right is bar girl cum restaurant called the BIG EASY. Also there is a sign pointing down that soi about the Italian restaurant. Go down that soi a bit, the place is on the right.

I think open for lunch and dinner. Can't confirm exact hours.

Tried This place last nite and it's GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!! Don't know how you found it but two thumbs up licklips.giflicklips.gif

Full report and photos to follow.

Cool. Happy to hear you like it.

I forget to mention in the Hit & Run my impression of the food.

I found it honest, soulful, and rustic. Nothing precious about it.

You know, nobody is going to like ALL the listings here of all the items, but what is pleasing me overall about how this thread is going is that I think my original premise in the OP that Pattaya is a better food city than many people think is really true. And with some hidden gems that I hope we all can keep uncovering.

No it's not now and never will be one of top food cities in the world or even Asia, but it certainly has got more than enough to continue to satisfy the adventurous and the hungry.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

La Taverna del Passatore

A casual open air Italian bistro style shophouse restaurant. Italian owned and run. Italian customers. Good signs, right? Yes, indeed.

Menu includes appetizers, pastas 200 bahtish plus range (wide choice of pastas including Tagliatelle, an extensive and authentic sophisticated range of sauces, main meat dishes served with choice of potato (pork, fish, chicken, some beef) 200 to 300 bahtish range, and desserts like tiramisu and panacotta (100 bahtish).

Also featured: DAILY specials, generally a special of the night pasta and special of the night meat offering.

Location: off Soi Buakow, head south from Soi Lengkee about one block. On the corner to to the right is bar girl cum restaurant called the BIG EASY. Also there is a sign pointing down that soi about the Italian restaurant. Go down that soi a bit, the place is on the right.

Tried This place last nite and it's GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!! Don't know how you found it but two thumbs up licklips.giflicklips.gif

I forget to mention in the Hit & Run my impression of the food.

I found it honest, soulful, and rustic. Nothing precious about it.

I completely agree with your assessment of this restaurant...nothing fancy...just good authentic Italian food prepared by Italians for Italians that the rest of us non-Italians can also enjoy. The directions are good...easy to find and there is moto/car parking space down this little dead-end soi. What you have is the open-fronted open air (the only negative in my opinion...no enclosed air-con... tolerable now...wouldn''t want to be here in April-June) single shophouse restaurant with a few tables set out. It doesn't look like much but the wonderful smell of cooking garlic and the friendly greetings from the staff lured me in.

The place is run by Italians...even the cooking it appeared to me and it was very good. I selected the ravioli with ricotta/spinach filling in a butter/sage sauce (from the daily specials board) and it was probably the best ravioli I've had in 15 years of living in LOS. It didn't look like much at first, in fact I didn't think there was much/enough sauce on it, but when I tasted it there was an explosion of brown-butter infused sage filling my mouth. I quickly consumed the dish. I also selected the rosemary and garlic sauteed potatoes from the daily board as well. They were equally delicious. I wanted to try another dish and ordered the spaghetti Amatriana (tomatoes, onion, and bacon) and it too was good but a little on the tart side as tomato based pasta dishes are wont to be.

The menu is fairly extensive, with salads, soups, breads, pastas, pizzas, secondis (meats/fish) and some traditional Italian desserts like Tiramisu and panna cotta. I will return again soon for another helping of raviolis and to try the pizzas. A real great find.

PS: During the hour or so I was there, about a half-dozen more patrons came in and they were all locals speaking Italian so the rest of the food must be good as well.

post-167660-0-21521700-1358356291_thumb.

Hours

post-167660-0-81821100-1358356293_thumb.

Specials Board

post-167660-0-15696800-1358356297_thumb.

My Raviolis

post-167660-0-51763200-1358356288_thumb.

My Potatoes

post-167660-0-55215300-1358356286_thumb.

Good stuff!

• Like 1

Yes, going with the specials is a great idea. They change daily. BTW: the Bruschetta with tomato is very popular (60 baht). They do NOT have pizzas.

Thanks for posting the pictures, which show the opening hours.

Maybe don't all go at once. I think they might freak out if the place gets overrun with non-Italians ... coffee1.gif

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

Yes, going with the specials is a great idea. They change daily. BTW: the Bruschetta with tomato is very popular (60 baht). They do NOT have pizzas.

Thanks for posting the pictures, which show the opening hours.

Maybe don't all go at once. I think they might freak out if the place gets overrun with non-Italians ... coffee1.gif

Thanks for the correction re the pizzas...I couldn't remember after I posted as I've been to a couple Italian places this week. The other one had the pizzas but everything else is correct goof.gif

Note too that they use Lavazza coffee thumbsup.gif

Another example of the wonderful FLEXIBILITY of the Hit & Run Concept.

Here is a tip on a good SPECIFIC DISH. Rather than a recommendation for the restaurant and the rest of its menu per se, which it is not.

Laziko Turkish Kebab Pide & Pizza

Pattaya New Plaza, 2nd Road, approx opposite soi 8.; a bit further north than Central, opposite side of 2nd road

Go for the Spinach and Cheese (stuffed) pide. 149 baht.

I love spinach baked in stuff. This dish fulfills that need.

The pide is medium sized, a meal for one moderately hungry person, stuffed into delicious fresh baked long and narrow dough, cut into pieces. It has lots of spinach and just a little neutral tasting cheese. No it is not feta cheese. I would like this dish also with feta cheese but no it isn't. In any case, this dish is mostly about the spinach and the dough, and I like that just fine. The pide is sliced into manageable pieces and topped with tasty sesame seeds. Served on pieces of wood. Charming! Pide you may know as more of an OPEN FACED type thing. This is not. It is stuffed.

This picture not from this place gives an idea:

post-37101-0-40687000-1358360649.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

La Taverna del Passatore sounds a bit like Buondi on Thappraya road. Another place to check out soon! thumbsup.gif

Yes. LaTaverna is an excellent Italian restaurant. Just as good as the food I had in Tuscany.

Penne pasta with sausage / eggplant, bruschetta & tiramisu = 400Bt.

La Taverna del Passatore ​used to be known as " that Italian restaurant with no name" at the intersection of Soi Chiyapoon and Soi Excite. You might not find a seat if you go between 13 and 15 hrs.

Edited by Phil Conners
font reset

La Taverna del Passatore

Tried here Saturday night, quite disappointed, tried cherry's tonight and really impressed with quality of food and value for money

Tried here Saturday night, quite disappointed, tried cherry's tonight and really impressed with quality of food and value for money

Cherry's is quite well known and popular, especially for their international buffet nights.

http://cherrys-resta...x.php?l=default

As far as you not liking La Taverna, well they aren't exactly hurting for business, so no worries.

Edited by Jingthing

Cherry's is quite well known and popular, especially for their international buffet nights.

http://cherrys-resta...x.php?l=default

As far as you not liking La Taverna, well they aren't exactly hurting for business, so no worries.

I know jingthing, I wish I could write food reviews like some of you guys, for me it's a simple like or not like a restaurant, but some of the information on TV is invaluable as I'm a fussy eater when I'm outside my home country of Ireland

Yeah. Another Hit & Run.

Aren't you excited?

New restaurant area and mall in North Pattaya, located across from Amorn "Chinese" restaurant directly and more roughly across from Drinking Street, so that's the beach road side of 2nd road, north of Big C.

It's a very new and modern open air type walking strip mall kind of concept. Mostly empty now but obviously, many more businesses to come, and right now two of the existing businesses are SPANKING NEW (slap slap) restaurants worthy of mention.

JUN JUN SING

Korean BBQ and Korean restaurant

Features all you can eat "Pork Party" 5 pork options to BBQ on your table for 299 baht

All served with six banchan (kimchi and other stuff), which are the same everyday, but they are good and varied banchan.

Beef BBQ items a la carte and not cheap, as expected.

Also on offer a limited number of soup/stew options from only 150 baht up to 250 baht. ALL include all you can eat banchan.

The service is overwhelmingly welcoming. You've been warned, ha ha.

No this isn't the best Korean restaurant in town and it isn't the worst. But what it is is a very nice coherent package, with an easy to understand menu, and the featured "Pork Party" all you can eat BBQ offer. I think it is a great addition to the already very rich Korean restaurant scene in town. If only we had this quality and quantity for Chinese and Mexican food ... oh well.

Their facebook page is very informative, you can see all the menu choices so I won't bother describing, just look:

https://www.facebook...Sung.Restaurant

A location map here:

https://www.facebook...&type=3

Some other comments. Yes it is more expensive than a Thai Moo Kata. That's because this is a REAL Korean restaurant.

You might ask which is the best Korean restaurant in town? I certainly don't know as there are so many and I haven't been to them all, and I've got to make a confession now that I am NOT Korean, but for the places I have tried to my taste the best Korean food I have had in town has been at the place talked about on this thread (YURAK Restaurant off Sukhumwit):

http://www.thaivisa....ean-restaurant/

The SECOND new restaurant in this same open air mall is a South Indian restaurant:

Idli Dosa South Indian Restaurant

Just a bookmark here as I haven't eaten there yet. But I can say it features the most robust South Indian menu in town even compared to Saras. Also it is not only vegetarian, unlike Saras. It appears very promising and I plan in eating there when I get the chance.

http://idli-dosa.com/about.php

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Yeah. Another Hit & Run.

Aren't you excited?

New restaurant area and mall in North Pattaya, located across from Amorn "Chinese" restaurant directly and more roughly across from Drinking Street, so that's the beach road side of 2nd road, north of Big C.

It's a very new and modern open air type walking strip mall kind of concept. Mostly empty now but obviously, many more businesses to come, and right now two of the existing businesses are SPANKING NEW (slap slap) restaurants worthy of mention.

JUN JUN SING

Korean BBQ and Korean restaurant

Features all you can eat "Pork Party" 5 pork options to BBQ on your table for 299 baht

All served with six banchan (kimchi and other stuff), which are the same everyday, but they are good and varied banchan.

Beef BBQ items a la carte and not cheap, as expected.

Also on offer a limited number of soup/stew options from only 150 baht up to 250 baht. ALL include all you can eat banchan.

The service is overwhelmingly welcoming. You've been warned, ha ha.

No this isn't the best Korean restaurant in town and it isn't the worst. But what it is is a very nice coherent package, with an easy to understand menu, and the featured "Pork Party" all you can eat BBQ offer. I think it is a great addition to the already very rich Korean restaurant scene in town. If only we had this quality and quantity for Chinese and Mexican food ... oh well.

Their facebook page is very informative, you can see all the menu choices so I won't bother describing, just look:

https://www.facebook...Sung.Restaurant

A location map here:

https://www.facebook...&type=3

Some other comments. Yes it is more expensive than a Thai Moo Kata. That's because this is a REAL Korean restaurant.

You might ask which is the best Korean restaurant in town? I certainly don't know as there are so many and I haven't been to them all, and I've got to make a confession now that I am NOT Korean, but for the places I have tried to my taste the best Korean food I have had in town has been at the place talked about on this thread (YURAK Restaurant off Sukhumwit):

The SECOND new restaurant in this same open air mall is a South Indian restaurant:

Just a bookmark here as I haven't eaten there yet. But I can say it features the most robust South Indian menu in town even compared to Saras. Also it is not only vegetarian, unlike Saras. It appears very promising and I plan in eating there when I get the chance.

Thanks for the report JT. Are you saying the new indian spot is in the same mall area as the Korean spot I posted about? That would be in the same parking lot area as Numchai between Soi Nern Plub Wan and Soi Siam Country Club off of Sukumvit.

I will certainly give the korean spot a go now that you have given it the thumbs up. I spotted it ages ago but never ventured in.

Thanks for the report JT. Are you saying the new indian spot is in the same mall area as the Korean spot I posted about? That would be in the same parking lot area as Numchai between Soi Nern Plub Wan and Soi Siam Country Club off of Sukumvit.

I will certainly give the korean spot a go now that you have given it the thumbs up. I spotted it ages ago but never ventured in.

No I am not saying that at all! The new Indian and the new Korean place are located in North Pattaya right off SECOND road. The Numchai place Korean is an entirely different location. I think that is clear in the post.

The Numchai Korean I have only been to once as it isn't convenient to me. Also I think it is dinner only and rather a formal dining experience which I don't personally prefer. However, the food was FANTASTIC and food trumps everything.

Edited by Jingthing

No.. read above and you will see it's not at all clear. You go from saying the korean restaurant you like is the Yurak place and then say the 2nd new restaurant in the same open air mall is the Indian spot.

In any case, after reading you post several times I see now you are just all over the board with that single post. Discussing 3 different restaurants in the same post. If you call that clear, then ok.

No.. read above and you will see it's not at all clear. You go from saying the korean restaurant you like is the Yurak place and then say the 2nd new restaurant in the same open air mall is the Indian spot.

In any case, after reading you post several times I see now you are just all over the board with that single post. Discussing 3 different restaurants in the same post. If you call that clear, then ok.

Sorry. I just reread this and I made a major editing mistake here that was the cause of the confusion. My mistake. My apologies.

So to review, yes three places were referenced:

1. Jun Jun Sing Korean in the open air mall off 2nd road (new), see Facebook map

2. Idli Dosa Indian in the same open air mall off 2nd road (new)

3. Yurak Korean off Sukhumwit (NOT new)

I had brought up Yurak Korean as an add on because in the mini review of Jun Jun Sing I said it isn't the best Korean in town. So I thought it was relevant to mention my subjective opinion on what is the best Korean in town. So I did.

Edited by Jingthing

Sorry. I just reread this and I made a major editing mistake here that was the cause of the confusion. My mistake. My apologies.

So to review, yes three places were referenced:

1. Jun Jun Sing Korean in the open air mall off 2nd road (new), see Facebook map

2. Idli Dosa Indian in the same open air mall off 2nd road (new)

3. Yurak Korean off Sukhumwit (NOT new)

I had brought up Yurak Korean as an add on because in the mini review of Jun Jun Sing I said it isn't the best Korean in town. So I thought it was relevant to mention my subjective opinion on what is the best Korean in town. So I did.

No worries at all. I do appreciate you input on the local eateries.

I go to many places based on your input.

Sent from my GT-I9100T

Edited by Jayman