The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

another recommendation on the dark side: Fabrice. That's the guy who owned before Dao Cafe and Aqua Demie.

Same great food as he had in the other places that he built up and sold: pizza and steaks. Every dish is a recommendation, the burgers are Texas size.

Made it to fabrice. Was not impressed. I ordered the burger which on first glance looked Texas size but turned out to be a Texas sized bun with an average sized burger for 280thb including a bottle of water (30thb).

My mate ordered a pizza and after a few bites he was disgusted and left the rest.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Sent from my GT-I9100T

• Thanks 1

another recommendation on the dark side: Fabrice. That's the guy who owned before Dao Cafe and Aqua Demie.

Same great food as he had in the other places that he built up and sold: pizza and steaks. Every dish is a recommendation, the burgers are Texas size.

Made it to fabrice. Was not impressed. I ordered the burger which on first glance looked Texas size but turned out to be a Texas sized bun with an average sized burger for 280thb including a bottle of water (30thb).

My mate ordered a pizza and after a few bites he was disgusted and left the rest.

Sent from my GT-I9100T

Based on your report, I'll stick with Aqua...love their pizzas and chicken with mushroom sauce is delish.

Sent from my GT-I9100T

Based on your report, I'll stick with Aqua...love their pizzas and chicken with mushroom sauce is delish.

the pizzas at aqua and fabrice are very similar... After all it was fabrice himself who introduced the recipes at both places.

Too bad you didn't like the food, I never had the burger, just saw someone else eating it.

The pizzas I had several times and love them.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I've had the burger and don't agree. The one I had had a full half-pound of beef in it, so much that I later regretted eating all of it. Same goes for pizza. Anyway I guess you can't please everyone.

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in Fabrice, it just happens to be around the corner from me which is why I eat there regularly.

• Thanks 1

I've had the burger and don't agree. The one I had had a full half-pound of beef in it, so much that I later regretted eating all of it. Same goes for pizza. Anyway I guess you can't please everyone. Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in Fabrice, it just happens to be around the corner from me which is why I eat there regularly.

Perhaps we went on an off night. The burger they served me was no bigger than ones at just burgers but came on a bun that was huge.

I didn't try the pizza but my mate was quite disappointed with it.

There was a chicken and mushroom dish on the menu that I nearly ordered. Perhaps I just ordered wrong.

I'd like to share two recommendations.

- Kohinoor -

This is a North Indian / Punjabi restaurant on 2nd Road heading towards Jomtien. I really like their Thali sets which are on offer at 179 - 219 Baht. Thali sets at B179 come with plain white rice whilst those at B219 come with fried Indian rice.

Tip: I've always been served better food at times before 11pm... and I think that's when their regular cook finishes her day.

Location is opposite the Camalot Hotel, but before Sun City and Nova Platinum, on your right, as you're leaving Pattaya Tai / 2nd road intersection. They close at around 1am.

- Thai-Egyptian Place -

OK folks.. I'm slightly hesitant to share this place with you as I'm fond of the owners and the food they sell. Basically this small shop-house, run by a man from Egypt and his Thai wife, offers home cooking at normal Thai prices. Whilst I'm always the only western customer (many times the only customer), the food is always freshly cooked and they personally give me a warm welcome every time. Please don't go there if you're a drunk / rude foreigner... Thanks.

Tip: The simple dish pictured - chicken on the bone served with curried rice - comes with a delicious garlic side sauce. The beef-stew type dish served with curried rice is also top notch.

Location is near Tony's Gym on 3rd road. As you come up Pattaya Tai. turn left on the Pattaya Tai / 3rd road intersection. Just before the first 7-11 on your left - and before the Thai restaurant on the corner - you'll find this place. They close at around 10 pm.

Bon Appétit !

post-138519-0-00645400-1366416981_thumb.

post-138519-0-63369900-1366416988_thumb.

Edited by RandomSand
  • Like 1

- Burger King -

The present promotion - Hawaiian ham pineapple Whopper - is very good. I've eaten it several times at both BK Royal Garden & at the domestic airport location. Burger at airport was better (surprisingly).

Comment on last visit to BK Royal Garden :

I witnessed them taking orders on a small notepad last week. Whilst I'm sure they had a good reason for not using the cash till; I did remember my time eating at a competing burger chain that bypassed the cash till.... and the food was terrible! I guess that, if the staff at this competing burger chain are making so many mistakes that a very high percentage of food must be marked as waste, instead of actually disposing of the unwanted food; the food is instead "recycled" and sold again. ...Bypassing the cash till facilitates such "recycling".

Edited by RandomSand

- Burger King -

The present promotion - Hawaiian ham pineapple Whopper - is very good. I've eaten it several times at both BK Royal Garden & at the domestic airport location. Burger at airport was better (surprisingly).

Comment on last visit to BK Royal Garden :

I witnessed them taking orders on a small notepad last week. Whilst I'm sure they had a good reason for not using the cash till; I did remember my time eating at a competing burger chain that bypassed the cash till.... and the food was terrible! I guess that, if the staff at this competing burger chain are making so many mistakes that a very high percentage of food must be marked as waste, instead of actually disposing of the unwanted food; the food is instead "recycled" and sold again. ...Bypassing the cash till facilitates such "recycling".

Taking orders on paper then pocketing the cash.

Yes, They could be pocketing the cash. Notice how, in any fast-food joint in Thailand, they never have any burger pre-made. So they never have food sat on the hotplate and hence no waste. This would enable them to put through their waste allocation as cash sales.

- Dicey Reilly's -

Went there for a fried breakfast.

Choose the "Irish Cook Up" at B230.

Here's what I got and my comments:

Pot of tea - enough for 1 1/2 small cups.

Toast x 2 - Thick white bread, not toasted enough, could have took more toasting.

New Zealand Butter and Peach Jam serving.

Eggs x 2 - ..

Streaky bacon x 3 or 4 - fairly decent quality.

Continental sausage x 2 (frankfurter) - fairly decent quality.

Normal sausage x 1 - small and bland.

Baked beans - very sweet.

Hash brown x 1 - Out the packet and swimming in fat.

Fried potatoes - fairly decent.

Black Pudding - did not try.

Not really worth the money, but the Marriott shareholders need paying, I suppose.

Location is on second road nest to Royal garden.

Edited by RandomSand

I dont have time to read all this- just where is The Best Mexican ?, non smoking.

In my view, no "Mexican" place in town rises to the level of being decent. Since they are all sub par I'd suggest trying them all and judging for yourself which is the least bad for your tastes.

• Like 1

If anyone is actually looking for CHICKEN SCHNITZEL (it takes all kinds) it is now on the menu at this Iranian restaurant already mentioned here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/608166-the-hit-and-run-restaurant-review-thread/?p=5973705

This dish is served in the usual Iranian style, with elegant Iranian rice and a side "salad" of raw onion and leaves. 200 baht.

This is the first time I have ever seen Chicken Schnitzel at an Iranian restaurant in any country, but I haven't been to Iran and I'm not going there either. coffee1.gif

Edited by Jingthing

If anyone is actually looking for CHICKEN SCHNITZEL (it takes all kinds) it is now on the menu at this Iranian restaurant already mentioned here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/608166-the-hit-and-run-restaurant-review-thread/?p=5973705

This dish is served in the usual Iranian style, with elegant Iranian rice and a side "salad" of raw onion and leaves. 200 baht.

This is the first time I have ever seen Chicken Schnitzel at an Iranian restaurant in any country, but I haven't been to Iran and I'm not going there either. :coffee1:

How about pork...is there big demand for pork in Iran like there apparently is in Israel?

This is the first time I have ever seen Chicken Schnitzel at an Iranian restaurant in any country, but I haven't been to Iran and I'm not going there either. coffee1.gif

How about pork...is there big demand for pork in Iran like there apparently is in Israel?

The Armenian minority demands it. It is officially banned under Islamic theocratic law of that nation. Enjoy.

- Dicey Reilly's -

Toast x 2 - Thick white bread, not toasted enough, could have took more toasting.

Eggs x 2 - ..

Not really worth the money, but the Marriott shareholders need paying, I suppose.

Dicey Reilly`s is probably the worst value for money in Pattaya.

I dont have time to read all this- just where is The Best Mexican ?, non smoking.

In my view, no "Mexican" place in town rises to the level of being decent. Since they are all sub par I'd suggest trying them all and judging for yourself which is the least bad for your tastes.

Pass on that thanks. Ive probably had better Mexican food at the train station in Mexicali than they have around here.

• Like 1

- Dicey Reilly's -

Eggs x 2 - ..

Dicey Reilly`s is probably the worst value for money in Pattaya.

All disgusting food anyway and sure to kill one in short order, except for the eggs and tea.

This is the first time I have ever seen Chicken Schnitzel at an Iranian restaurant in any country, but I haven't been to Iran and I'm not going there either. :coffee1:

The Armenian minority demands it. It is officially banned under Islamic theocratic law of that nation. Enjoy.

Another reason to give the Iranian holiday a pass...this and the likely relative lack of sexy ladyboys.

What is the difference between elegant Iranian rice and, say, unsophisticated Iranian rice?

Edited by WyattEarp

What is the difference between elegant Iranian rice and, say, unsophisticated Iranian rice?

I suggest trying some Iranian food if you haven't. There treatment of rice is a strong point. There are different styles as well (such as with dried small berries or lima beans and herbs) but generally in restaurants you get a fancier treatment of rice than in Thai or Chinese food, etc. I think they generally use a kind of basmati rice and saffron or at least saffron color is a typical element of the presentation.

Here is a typical Iranian platter:

post-37101-0-06124400-1366614872_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Two posts discussing gender reassignment surgery have been removed. You guys are amazing how far you can bring a topic off the track :lol:

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Another big thumbs up for La Taverna del Passatore.

Been there 5 or 6 times now over the past couple of months - the food is consistently very good and at a price that belies the quality. Highly recommended if you can live with dining 'al fresco'.

Great thread btw - thanks to the contributors.

• Like 1

We decided to try La Taverna del Passatore tonight. I have to say we were underwhelmed. Prices are good and portions are large, but the puttanesca I had was mediocre. I asked for it with tagliatelli and they were out of it. I also tried their sausage. They were out of mashed potatoes. The sausage was salty and a bit undercooked. My bf's "special" seafood pasta was not good at all. We both decided it was not a place to return to.