Large Stone Mortar And Pestle

bdmike

HELP!!!

I recently visited a friend's house and saw a LARGE stone mortar and pestle which was purchased 'somewhere' enroute to the north of Thailand from Bkk. I am talking LARGE (about 1 gallon capacity and a weight of at least 60 lbs!) He could not recall the town where it was purchased, but it was at the factory where they are produced. He said it was right along the main route to the north, not on any side road. He was not looking for such an item but just 'happened upon it'. He said there were at least half a dozen roadside stands retailing mortars and pestles together along this highway, on both sides of the road. Can anyone out there inform me as to where this factory and sales area are located? What town and how far from Bkk? Thanks a lot, Mike

I have not seen them on the way North; the major place they are manufactured is in a village called "Ang Sila" (which literally means "stone basin"), this village is near Sriracha on the way to Pattaya.

They have them is all sizes from very small to very large, also other stone items such as old-fashioned rice grinders, garden ornaments and planters etc..

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

On the route from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, I've seen these large mortar and pestles being sold in three places..

Going north, between the Mcdonalds with a drive through and Nakon Sawan. Along the road on East side.. Near the place selling this 5 foot honeycomb slice

honeycomb.jpg

South of Kampengphet, in the same roadside stands that sell fried bananas. They also have some beautiful Mango Wood ones for sale at 250 baht. Quite large, too. somtamlady.jpg

On the road south, between Lampang and Thoen, there are a couple of roadside stands selling only these rock mortar and pestles.

Ajarn,

Thanks a lot for all the information. I believe that Nakhon Sawan was the place my friend bought the 60 lb. giant. I will be in Chiang Mai for Songkran, although I will be flying in. Did you happen to notice if the last place you mentioned, between Lampang and Thoen, had any large ones? (Since this looks like a pleasant one day trip from Chiang Mai). Thanks again for all your insights..I greatly appreciate it. Mike

If you haven't been through Aung Sila ... you should ... Turn off Sukhumvit near the Index Mall (past Macro) on the way through Chonburi. about 2 KM's down that road or less you will start seeing places selling them. Lots of places through that area!

Now to make the day perfect ... as you hit the coastline there will be places on both sides of the road. At the end of the stretch of places on the right (coast line side) you'll see a temple ... pull in there for a great view. back out on the road and still heading out (towards Sri Racha still) you will immediately go up a hill. At the top of that hill is an amazing chinee temple. Well worth a stop ... stopped there with a british friend that said it "out-glitzes" Hong Kong temples ...

Still heading south you'll pass through Saam Muk (3 pearls?) and come upon a hill where you can turn to the right ... do it! Then stay to the left. Great hill with a million monkeys and a great scenic overlook at the top. Stop and feed the monkeys! Follow this road around and you'll end up back on the main road after passing a small ferris wheel. Turn right again

another 2 kms and you'll get to a traffic light .. turn right and you'll be heading to the water again and into the town of Bang Saen (I Think). Great "Thai Beach" Stop and get some food!

Keep going down the beach road and you'll get to a traffic circle head left back out to Sukhumvit ... You'll pass a Uni with an aquarium. worth a stop there too.

One last place to see in that area ... turn right on Suk then head to Sri racha ... turn right into Sri Racha and head to the water again ... You'll see Koh Loi (floating island?) Sea Turtles swimming in manmade ponds on the island ... a great temple ... boats out to the islands .. great snacks ...

(all this comes to mind from Aung Sila ... ok ... I love that drive ... ;-p

Ajarn,

Thanks a lot for all the information. I believe that Nakhon Sawan was the place my friend bought the 60 lb. giant. I will be in Chiang Mai for Songkran, although I will be flying in. Did you happen to notice if the last place you mentioned, between Lampang and Thoen, had any large ones? (Since this looks like a pleasant one day trip from Chiang Mai). Thanks again for all your insights..I greatly appreciate it. Mike

Yes, I did see some large ones on display. The location of the stands, in the middle of nowhere along the hiway, leads me to think that they are being made somewhere local to to their selling point.

Good luck :o

Edited by Ajarn

Ajarn,

They are very heavy. Good luck on the plane!

Ajarn.. Thanks for letting me know about your findings. I think I will take a trip from Chiang Mai south to that last place you mentioned and have a look.

Jdinasia.... That sounds like a very nice trip down to Ang Sila. It sounds like you have made the trip a few times already. Thanks for all the places to check out enroute. I do love to see the nice views that Thailand has to offer, along with the wats. Any particular restaurants (Thai seafood) on the way that you would recommend?

Dan Sai Kid...I am not too worried about the flights, since I am allowed 30 kilo bags on my flight back (EVA Airlines). So my limit for the mortar and pestle is about 70 lbs. (unless I try to carry it on and not look too suspicious!!!!! :o ) That should allow me one with about a gallon inside capacity. I can pound a lot of paste at once with one that size!

• 3 months later...

just to let ya know, ang sila 'used' to be the place for mortars and pestles....they have since run out of stone and now are supplied by the town on the way to chiang mai... but there are still plenty of goods in ang sila...which is in the same vicinity as bang saen...

• 3 months later...
Keep going down the beach road and you'll get to a traffic circle head left back out to Sukhumvit ... You'll pass a Uni with an aquarium. worth a stop there too.

(all this comes to mind from Aung Sila ... ok ... I love that drive ... ;-p

Excellent, tour, I did it just today. The aquarium has now two-tier pricing and I complained about that rip-off. They produced the assistant director because they thought that I am part of a visiting group of scientists :o and I took the opportunity to address my complaints directly to her.

Pointless, as she was in full support of this policy as the few rich farangs who find the place make it possible for the poor Thais to surive. Needless to say that we did not enter the aquarium.

I have her mobile phone number now, in case someone wants to discuss the topic with her, feel free to pm me! :D