Sydictive Phuket Beach Bash Kicks Off Today – Amid Confusion And Stringent Rules

Lite Beer

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are getting creamed of their FB page.

It will probably be in Pattaya or Samui next year. They will not do business here again.

And I'm pretty sure, that was the goal, the local 'businessmen' were running for

Edited by noob7

Found on FB page, Phuket's Best Events

http://www.thaivisa....ttach_id=189796

But actual has Bikini girls. Doesn't that count?

What do you expect?

After all mediating not enough money left, for a proper party

Yes, but somehow I don't think you get to scam one of the biggest companies in Thailand, in Thaibev, without some phone calls being made and some favours being called in.

The "who's got the biggest face loss " game will be interesting on this one.

Imagine if Thaibev cut distribution to Phuket. smile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

@ chainsaw from previous thread, I know many great musicians who can't write a song,can only play what they are told to play, great football managers who were terrible players, great story tellers who can't write a book, food critics who can't cook, great movie directors who can't act, some of the greatest songs wrote were by average talented people, session musicians are normally the best at what they do, very few reach stardom, i agree, to me this computer dance music is over rated, but these guys sit in a studio and tell the session players what they want and they do it, again back to the football manager (sir Alex) he is the vision, the song writer if you will, the footballers are his session players, super talented, without the guidance, creativity of the manager would it work, same as the Akon's, will-i-am, all the dance artists, it is there creativity and vision we hear, a computer is only as good as it's operator, they start will a blank canvass like a paint artist and create, there is a snobbery and has been for years regarding musicians, they are like football pundits, know everything to know yet never get out there bedrooms and if they do reach the dizzy heights of average, i notice a lot of respected musicians on the island using computer generated karaoke tracks/ backing tracks, they are just computer generated sounds, but you'll reply, "thats different!!!!, someone has had to create them, exactly" have these muso's sold out aswel?????, although again dance music is not my thing, the best producers and musicians in the world rate them, from what i can hear out of my window, these are not amateurs, they are polished, talented, professional and dedicated to a art form, i bet i'm beatdeadhorse.gif , remember Elvis, beatles, Stones, the who, doors, Floyd, Zepplin, ozzy, deep purple, hard rock, glam rock, sex pistols, clash, punk, new romantics, hip hop, house, grunge, britpop, soft rock, trance, all radical evolution of music to the previous generation,your sounding like my dad when i introduced him to Barry Manilow, sorry i mean the velvet underground and early Floyd, so enjoy and join the burp.gif

I agree with your post britpop, however, this "music" appeals to a very small market on Phuket, namely, the 18 to 25 year olds. Given that this event is being staged to be profitable, or at least start a tradition for New Years Eve parties to be profitable in the future, I would have thought the organisers may have targeted a wider audience.

Certainly, the target market for a party with this music is for the younger generation, who would rather pop a pill and dance all night than purchase a Thaibev product. This is why the tickets for these events cost so much, because you do not make any money out of the party goers once they are inside.

If the organisers held the party with, for example, "The Beach Boys Revival Band" or something similar, would that have not appealed to a wider audience, namely the 35 to 60 year olds, and the people that will buy alcohol.

Or, they could have gone down the "cultural path" and called it the "Phuket New Years Eve Internalional Party" and had some music from all around the world to cater for the diverse tourism here. They could have had a jumping castle for the kids etc and also target young families.

They could have even done both by having mellow music at sunset and into the evening for the older genration, and then at 12:30am or 1am had the DJ dance music for the younger ones until the sunrise.

These are just two ideas off the top of my head, but with many members on TV mocking the music that will be played at the party, perhaps the organisers have picked the wrong target market, as soon as they picked the artist for the gig.

excuse me, but i am 45 and have been listening to and loving electronic dance music for the last 20++ years. As have the majority of my friends, many of whom are DJs preforming in Phuket, koh phangan, bangkok and Vietnam, indoneesia, singapore, hong kong and worldwide.

your remarks that it is an 18-25 year old thing simply show how detached from the scene you truly are.

have you noticed that the most successful djs all seem to be in their 40's? why you ask? because the scene has been around for many years.

to quote thai visa as an arbiter of taste is ridiculous. A group of people posting on a website with a clear demographic heading into senility is hardly indicative of the whole of phuket, which has a good electronic scene.

the issue with this event is it has been poorly planned and even more poorly programmed. the talent is a mish mash of second tier artists with few exceptions.

As to a beach boys revival, you are joking, right?

I'll be staying away from Bangla Road and Patong Beach tonight. I'll be going to a BBQ at a friends place that has a balcony overlooking Patong. I like all genres of music, and we'll be playing plenty of them tonight. However, I would like to have a look inside the party and see how many over 50 year old's are in there, and yes, that is a big market on Phuket.

Events like this are not put on for charity. They are supposed to make money. A good start would be to appeal to a broader audience, rather than a niche market. If your friends are really DJ's, they know exactly the crowd their music appeals to and exactly the drug abuse associated with that crowd, hence, alcohol sales are minimal. Does any of that bother me? No. Will the event be profitable just targeting this market on Phuket, probably not.

Just because you like electronic music doesn't mean the majority of potential customers like it as well. It's a large party on a beach, not a small party in a music lounge or nightclub. You mock me for suggesting putting on music from a past generation, such as The Beach Boys cover band, but I have not critisized electronic music, just stated it appeals to a narrow section of the market. So, who really is the music critic? At least I like both of those genres, unlike yourself, with such a specific taste in music. I even suggested the event could cater to both genres and generations, but you wouldn't entertain that idea.

There's always something to blame on Phuket. Protests in Bangkok, floods, bird flu, SARS etc. The bottom line is the Thai officials and promoters could not get it together, for probably a myriad of reasons. All involved are to blame.

At 45, you will probably the oldest guy at the party. smile.png I hope you get your 2500 baht worth and spare a thought for the thousands of over 50's who can not go down to Patong Beach tonight with a few beers and friends to see in the New Year.

For the record, it's well known on TV that I am not over 50. Have a great night. smile.png

i didnt say i would b there, quite the contrary, the whole event has had fail written all over it from the beginning.

i dont think the organizers necessarily needed to cater to a larger niche, i think however that they should at least have organized

I'll be staying away from Bangla Road and Patong Beach tonight. I'll be going to a BBQ at a friends place that has a balcony overlooking Patong. I like all genres of music, and we'll be playing plenty of them tonight. However, I would like to have a look inside the party and see how many over 50 year old's are in there, and yes, that is a big market on Phuket.

Events like this are not put on for charity. They are supposed to make money. A good start would be to appeal to a broader audience, rather than a niche market. If your friends are really DJ's, they know exactly the crowd their music appeals to and exactly the drug abuse associated with that crowd, hence, alcohol sales are minimal. Does any of that bother me? No. Will the event be profitable just targeting this market on Phuket, probably not.

Just because you like electronic music doesn't mean the majority of potential customers like it as well. It's a large party on a beach, not a small party in a music lounge or nightclub. You mock me for suggesting putting on music from a past generation, such as The Beach Boys cover band, but I have not critisized electronic music, just stated it appeals to a narrow section of the market. So, who really is the music critic? At least I like both of those genres, unlike yourself, with such a specific taste in music. I even suggested the event could cater to both genres and generations, but you wouldn't entertain that idea.

There's always something to blame on Phuket. Protests in Bangkok, floods, bird flu, SARS etc. The bottom line is the Thai officials and promoters could not get it together, for probably a myriad of reasons. All involved are to blame.

At 45, you will probably the oldest guy at the party. smile.png I hope you get your 2500 baht worth and spare a thought for the thousands of over 50's who can not go down to Patong Beach tonight with a few beers and friends to see in the New Year.

For the record, it's well known on TV that I am not over 50. Have a great night. smile.png

A niche market? I'm pretty sure you must be trolling, but in case you didn't get out of your cave for the last 20 years, electronic music is played in probably more than 90% of all night entertainment venues all around the world...

A niche market? I'm pretty sure you must be trolling, but in case you didn't get out of your cave for the last 20 years, electronic music is played in probably more than 90% of all night entertainment venues all around the world...

and its not the 18-25s spending the money the clubs are built to collect

No trolling here. Sure, electronic music is huge, but this is a tropical island with a high population of retired expats and with a cost that tends to keep the "electronic music" crowd in other parts of Thailand.

Since when is a beach, a "night entertainment venue????"

The Sydictive Group would have got a bigger crowd to a "festival" rather than a "rave."

Anyway, just like many starry eyed farang coming here and buying a beer bar, they will know better than try to do business here again and will probably move next year's party somewhere else.

It's a shame. It could of worked, and should have worked, but was chopped off at the knees.

Edited by NamKangMan

Really. Maybe you can explain to me why many members on TV have never heard of Akon???? If they have never heard of him, why would they buy a ticket?

They live here. They are your market as well. Or, do they have different baht to the 18 to 25 year olds? :) :)

Really. Maybe you can explain to me why many members on TV have never heard of Akon???? If they have never heard of him, why would they buy a ticket?

They live here. They are your market as well. Or, do they have different baht to the 18 to 25 year olds? smile.pngsmile.png

because they are old.

I doubt they would be familiar with the black eyed peas either.

very difficult to turn on a tv or walk into a club that plays commercial stuff without coming up against an akon tune.

As for your comments that it is a rave, the very fact that they would advertise akon proves conclusively that it was not. Besides, the term is no longer in use. People dont throw raves. they throw parties.

Akon fits snugly into the hip hop r&b category and would keep most interested in house or any other form of EDM far away.

I have already said the lineup is beyond uninspiring.

the whole thing is folly, decent names, proper organisation and a well thought out venue could have been a huge success, though to claim 50,000 people was hubris from the outset.

Edited by tinfoilhat

At tinfoilhat.

I think you are looking at it from a music point of view. I am looking at it from a business point of view, and from a business point of view, it doesn't matter what music I like, as long as the event makes money. The bigger the market, the more affluent the market - the more ticket sales - the more drink sales.

Music and business aside, one thing is for sure, Phuket has again embarrassed itself on the world stage of tourism. Hardly becoming of a "world class tourist desination."

At least this time no one was killed.

Edited by NamKangMan

These kind of events can be great successes. I think it is a pity that it seems not as successful as they intended.

Probably the timing - New Year - and the place - Phuket - were not going well together for this project.

During this time of the year Phuket is full anyway. All businesses are very busy and everyone is making money. No need for any addtional event.

At the time it was announced that the party would take place in Surin, most of the businesses and hotels were against it because it disturbed their usual new year activities and some customers had made cancelations fearing disturbance. It was understandable.

Since during the peak season the island is full anyway, the event was not bringing much to its business owners, apart from problems.

Patong, that is overcrowded most of the year was an even more difficult location, but I guess othey had no ther choice.

Well, even so, I am sure they will have fun tonight thumbsup.gif

Happy New Year.

Edited by gerry1011

NK,

I will agree with you up to a point, but i dont think phukets local expat community is the target here. they are a drop in the bucket of tourists that would have ponied up.

from a business perspective the lineup planning, permission, sponsorship and promotion for this event should have been in place a year ago. it could have been huge

this event was a wank, and should not have gone this far.

i also agree that it adds little value to an island running near capacity with properly planned events already long in place

Edited by tinfoilhat

At tinfoilhat.

I think you are looking at it from a music point of view. I am looking at it from a business point of view, and from a business point of view, it doesn't matter what music I like, as long as the event makes money. The bigger the market, the more affluent the market - the more ticket sales - the more drink sales.

Music and business aside, one thing is for sure, Phuket has again embarrassed itself on the world stage of tourism. Hardly becoming of a "world class tourist desination."

At least this time no one was killed.

Yet.

NK,

I will agree with you up to a point, but i dont think phukets local expat community is the target here. they are a drop in the bucket of tourists that would have ponied up.

from a business perspective the lineup planning, permission, sponsorship and promotion for this event should have been in place a year ago. it could have been huge

this event was a wank, and should not have gone this far.

i also agree that it adds little value to an island running near capacity with properly planned events already long in place

Phuket is not Ibiza. Next time you are at Phuket Airport, just make an assessment of the average age of people in the airport. You will see the majority of tourist here are well over 25 years of age.

I agree the expat community was not the target market. I suppose what I was getting at was the event could have had something for everyone, not just a small section of the tourist market.

Anyway, Phuket, music and the people all lost out here tonight.

What do you expect?

Yes, but somehow I don't think you get to scam one of the biggest companies in Thailand, in Thaibev, without some phone calls being made and some favours being called in.

Yes...my thoughts exactly as I sat sipping my afternoon tea.

The corrupt Phuket money scamming machine is now running at such a frightening speed that it could not even break in time to avoid running over the top of a very prominent HiSo Thai. Kind of like that moment in 2001 A Space Odessy were the humans suddenly realised Hal was calling the shots. Who is going to climb into the Phuket mafia's mainframe and start removing memory modules...

• Like 1

They live here. They are your market as well. Or, do they have different baht to the 18 to 25 year olds? smile.pngsmile.png

<snip>

As for your comments that it is a rave, the very fact that they would advertise akon proves conclusively that it was not. Besides, the term is no longer in use. People dont throw raves. they throw parties.

<snip>

Yeah NamKangMan, it's called a 'party', not a 'rave'. Where have you been, man? You gotta get with it (am I allowed to say that?). Rock on baby! post-35489-0-30627000-1356960966.gif

What do you expect?

Yes...my thoughts exactly as I sat sipping my afternoon tea.

The corrupt Phuket money scamming machine is now running at such a frightening speed that it could not even break in time to avoid running over the top of a very prominent HiSo Thai. Kind of like that moment in 2001 A Space Odessy were the humans suddenly realised Hal was calling the shots. Who is going to climb into the Phuket mafia's mainframe and start removing memory modules...

I see repercussions from BKK on this one. Suddenly our small budgets are cut even more due to this extortion by the locals after being forced to hold this event. There will definitely be some sort of power play down the road after this behaviour shown by the local "influential familes".

Sydictive skips a beat in Phuket beach party launch

Phuket Gazette -

PHUKET: The crowd of 50,000 people predicted by the Sydictive party organizers has yet to appear on Patong Beach, despite the event having started last night.

The much-ballyhooed party got off to a seven-hour late start yesterday due to incomplete preparations. It reopened today at 3pm to a small group of people.

Despite some complaints on the Sydictive Element’s Facebook page about last night’s late start and the small crowd, organizers continue to talk up the event.

“So far we have sold more than 20,000 tickets on line and we expect that soon there will be 50,000 people joining our party. Eleven internationally famous DJs will join the party,” said Sydictive Element CEO Vorrachart Petchnunthawong.

Should the crowds materialize, security forces are ready for them, with Phuket Provincial police posted at entrance and exit to check for drugs and weapons, and more than 500 Royal Thai Navy and marine officers on guard.

Several high-ranking officers from the Phuket Provincial and Patong Police forces are also at the venue.

As of 5:30pm, a Phuket Gazette reporter at the scene saw plenty of staff and security people standing around waiting for the party to begin – but few people showed much interest in joining what increasingly looks to be a snubbed event.

Today’s schedule of international DJs was advertised to start at 3pm.

No matter where you are or how you choose to celebrate this New Year’s Eve, the Gazette wishes one and all a happy and safe new year.

See you in 2013.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2012/Sydictive-skips-a-beat-in-Phuket-beach-party-launch-19853.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-12-31

I see repercussions from BKK on this one. Suddenly our small budgets are cut even more due to this extortion by the locals after being forced to hold this event. There will definitely be some sort of power play down the road after this behaviour shown by the local "influential familes".

Then my dream comes true in 2013! Cut the budget for this uderpass project at Central immediately! Revenge of karma.

I've never heard of Akon, because I am simply not interested in music, any form of music and therefore I cannot name any current or recent musicians of any gendre. And that's nothng whatever to do with my age.