Sydictive Phuket Beach Bash Kicks Off Today – Amid Confusion And Stringent Rules

Lite Beer

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ chainsaw from previous thread, I know many great musicians who can't write a song,can only play what they are told to play, great football managers who were terrible players, great story tellers who can't write a book, food critics who can't cook, great movie directors who can't act, some of the greatest songs wrote were by average talented people, session musicians are normally the best at what they do, very few reach stardom, i agree, to me this computer dance music is over rated, but these guys sit in a studio and tell the session players what they want and they do it, again back to the football manager (sir Alex) he is the vision, the song writer if you will, the footballers are his session players, super talented, without the guidance, creativity of the manager would it work, same as the Akon's, will-i-am, all the dance artists, it is there creativity and vision we hear, a computer is only as good as it's operator, they start will a blank canvass like a paint artist and create, there is a snobbery and has been for years regarding musicians, they are like football pundits, know everything to know yet never get out there bedrooms and if they do reach the dizzy heights of average, i notice a lot of respected musicians on the island using computer generated karaoke tracks/ backing tracks, they are just computer generated sounds, but you'll reply, "thats different!!!!, someone has had to create them, exactly" have these muso's sold out aswel?????, although again dance music is not my thing, the best producers and musicians in the world rate them, from what i can hear out of my window, these are not amateurs, they are polished, talented, professional and dedicated to a art form, i bet i'm beatdeadhorse.gif , remember Elvis, beatles, Stones, the who, doors, Floyd, Zepplin, ozzy, deep purple, hard rock, glam rock, sex pistols, clash, punk, new romantics, hip hop, house, grunge, britpop, soft rock, trance, all radical evolution of music to the previous generation,your sounding like my dad when i introduced him to Barry Manilow, sorry i mean the velvet underground and early Floyd, so enjoy and join the burp.gif

I agree with your post britpop, however, this "music" appeals to a very small market on Phuket, namely, the 18 to 25 year olds. Given that this event is being staged to be profitable, or at least start a tradition for New Years Eve parties to be profitable in the future, I would have thought the organisers may have targeted a wider audience.

Certainly, the target market for a party with this music is for the younger generation, who would rather pop a pill and dance all night than purchase a Thaibev product. This is why the tickets for these events cost so much, because you do not make any money out of the party goers once they are inside.

If the organisers held the party with, for example, "The Beach Boys Revival Band" or something similar, would that have not appealed to a wider audience, namely the 35 to 60 year olds, and the people that will buy alcohol.

Or, they could have gone down the "cultural path" and called it the "Phuket New Years Eve Internalional Party" and had some music from all around the world to cater for the diverse tourism here. They could have had a jumping castle for the kids etc and also target young families.

They could have even done both by having mellow music at sunset and into the evening for the older genration, and then at 12:30am or 1am had the DJ dance music for the younger ones until the sunrise.

These are just two ideas off the top of my head, but with many members on TV mocking the music that will be played at the party, perhaps the organisers have picked the wrong target market, as soon as they picked the artist for the gig.

excuse me, but i am 45 and have been listening to and loving electronic dance music for the last 20++ years. As have the majority of my friends, many of whom are DJs preforming in Phuket, koh phangan, bangkok and Vietnam, indoneesia, singapore, hong kong and worldwide.

your remarks that it is an 18-25 year old thing simply show how detached from the scene you truly are.

have you noticed that the most successful djs all seem to be in their 40's? why you ask? because the scene has been around for many years.

to quote thai visa as an arbiter of taste is ridiculous. A group of people posting on a website with a clear demographic heading into senility is hardly indicative of the whole of phuket, which has a good electronic scene.

the issue with this event is it has been poorly planned and even more poorly programmed. the talent is a mish mash of second tier artists with few exceptions.

As to a beach boys revival, you are joking, right?

I'll be staying away from Bangla Road and Patong Beach tonight. I'll be going to a BBQ at a friends place that has a balcony overlooking Patong. I like all genres of music, and we'll be playing plenty of them tonight. However, I would like to have a look inside the party and see how many over 50 year old's are in there, and yes, that is a big market on Phuket.

Events like this are not put on for charity. They are supposed to make money. A good start would be to appeal to a broader audience, rather than a niche market. If your friends are really DJ's, they know exactly the crowd their music appeals to and exactly the drug abuse associated with that crowd, hence, alcohol sales are minimal. Does any of that bother me? No. Will the event be profitable just targeting this market on Phuket, probably not.

Just because you like electronic music doesn't mean the majority of potential customers like it as well. It's a large party on a beach, not a small party in a music lounge or nightclub. You mock me for suggesting putting on music from a past generation, such as The Beach Boys cover band, but I have not critisized electronic music, just stated it appeals to a narrow section of the market. So, who really is the music critic? At least I like both of those genres, unlike yourself, with such a specific taste in music. I even suggested the event could cater to both genres and generations, but you wouldn't entertain that idea.

There's always something to blame on Phuket. Protests in Bangkok, floods, bird flu, SARS etc. The bottom line is the Thai officials and promoters could not get it together, for probably a myriad of reasons. All involved are to blame.

At 45, you will probably the oldest guy at the party. smile.png I hope you get your 2500 baht worth and spare a thought for the thousands of over 50's who can not go down to Patong Beach tonight with a few beers and friends to see in the New Year.

For the record, it's well known on TV that I am not over 50. Have a great night. smile.png

I have always said to my friends that a small nightclub in Patong that plays 80's music would be a success because of that niche market. The 80's was a great era for music.

The first anyone heard of this event is when they got a D-list bimbo air-head "celebrity" to announce it in Bangkok. She then promptly disappeared.

If they then expected to just go ahead without consulting the authorities, or, local people where they had decreed that this event would be held, then this shows supreme arrogance.

Were they that certain that their family name could just sweep all bureaucratic obstacles and objections out of the way?

They announced this event just a few weeks before it was supposed to happen without a single thought to organization, whatsoever.

This event deserved to fail. Arrogance and incompetence should never be rewarded.

• Like 1

does anyone see a theme here?? everyone complains about the event an they bullshit that they marketed never happened, ( using Paris Hiltons and Akons name to draw people in)

15 rules they were not enforced and everyone knew were a sham

I see NO ONE saying they went,

Does that mean NO TV posters attended this fiasco??

I know who Akon is an like his music.I would NEVER pay 2,500 baht to see him on a beach

This even is better geared for Koh PhangNga an just the style of music yells DRUGS and drink

So Did any people go??

they claimed 20,000 tickets soldcheesy.gif

Happy new Mia No. 1. to all TV Members!

6 weeks time, to prepare for happy new mia no. 2

Question: Anyone went there? Was it a free event. like claimed by the major of Patong?? No alcohol sold? ....?

I try to keep track, but it isn't easy!

Edited by noob7

A niche market? I'm pretty sure you must be trolling, but in case you didn't get out of your cave for the last 20 years, electronic music is played in probably more than 90% of all night entertainment venues all around the world...

and its not the 18-25s spending the money the clubs are built to collect

Really. Maybe you can explain to me why many members on TV have never heard of Akon???? If they have never heard of him, why would they buy a ticket?

They live here. They are your market as well. Or, do they have different baht to the 18 to 25 year olds? smile.pngsmile.png

because they are old.

I doubt they would be familiar with the black eyed peas either.

very difficult to turn on a tv or walk into a club that plays commercial stuff without coming up against an akon tune.

As for your comments that it is a rave, the very fact that they would advertise akon proves conclusively that it was not. Besides, the term is no longer in use. People dont throw raves. they throw parties.

Akon fits snugly into the hip hop r&b category and would keep most interested in house or any other form of EDM far away.

I have already said the lineup is beyond uninspiring.

the whole thing is folly, decent names, proper organisation and a well thought out venue could have been a huge success, though to claim 50,000 people was hubris from the outset.

I've heard Akon, worked at shows with the Black Eyed Peas, Bones Thugs and Harmony, 50 Cent, Jay Z, Eminem etc. We as union stagehands and audio engineers always have a laugh when we a loading in an act and they don't have any or very few instruments. Especially when there is more "set" than anything else. We also use to have a laugh at Cher. First thing off the trucks on the load in was wigs!

But I will agree this was an amateur "event." Someone with more money than sense tried and failed to put on a "show" without having a clue about how to do it.

By the way, electronic music isn't very popular in the US. I've never seen one fill an arena or stadium as U-2, The Rolling Stones and most other big name rock bands can!

Edited by Jimi007

By the way has anyone thinking of going to this event bothered to look at the detailed weather forecast for Phuket tomorrow - check windfinder or windguru. Forecast to be a wet one from 19:00 onward -

Why in hell is a site, calling themselves windwhatever, trying, to give a rain forecast? coffee1.gif

By the way has anyone thinking of going to this event bothered to look at the detailed weather forecast for Phuket tomorrow - check windfinder or windguru. Forecast to be a wet one from 19:00 onward -

Why in hell is a site, calling themselves windwhatever, trying, to give a rain forecast? coffee1.gif

They seem to be a lot more accurate than the Thai Meteorological Department! http://www.windguru....x.php?sc=208471

But now I use this site: http://panphuket.com/weather

Edited by Jimi007

No trolling here. Sure, electronic music is huge, but this is a tropical island with a high population of retired expats and with a cost that tends to keep the "electronic music" crowd in other parts of Thailand.

Since when is a beach, a "night entertainment venue????"

The Sydictive Group would have got a bigger crowd to a "festival" rather than a "rave."

Anyway, just like many starry eyed farang coming here and buying a beer bar, they will know better than try to do business here again and will probably move next year's party somewhere else.

It's a shame. It could of worked, and should have worked, but was chopped off at the knees.

You obviously have no idea about what you are talking about but keep on thinking you are making valid point based on your good business sixth sense. Actually, your comments are borderline retarded. clap2.gif

The expats are a niche market here, compared to the number of tourists. Nobody would want to organise anything for them, save for the corner's beer bar and its cover band.

You don't know what is the "electronic music crowd" as you've never been in any kind of club in your life. You seem to confuse them with the backpacker's type of crowd who favor full moon parties type. Well you have also the clubbing scene which is huge but also pretty much anybody from 18 to 40 would be willing to go party with some good DJs. Just look at how packed are hollywood, tiger, seduction, laguna discos everynight. Clearly not the expat customer type. I see plenty of young tourists everywhere this time of year. Clubs in bangkok are also packed with tourists for NYE, I'm pretty sure sydictive element wanted to make some of those party goers take a plane to phuket and party here. Sure why not? With a good planning, organisation skills and a better line up, it could have worked.

But certainly not with a rock festival. `Who wants to listen to a band for new years eve anyway? Better get wasted and dance all night... Costs to make some well known bands come to play on a beach would have been huge. It costs $100K to make some of the most famous DJs play for a night. For this price you can only get an obscure band that not many people have heard before.

Crap music anyway. Dj's thinking they are music artists. cheesy.gif

You got that right for sure. thumbsup.gif

I still maintain that electronic sounds should not be called 'music', even though the DJ 'stars' cheesy.gif use samples taken from real musicians.

Very little skill and lots of hype! People are being conned.

Such lame and laughable comments from probably poor old uneducated geezers.

It's, funny, everytime a new style of music is created, like jazz, rock, hip hop or electronic music, there is always someone to throw a backward comments "it's not music" "it's just boom boom for savages" "they are not even able to play the piano" "i could to it on my computer", etc.

Well, newsflash, it's not with your huge lack of culture that you are properly fit to criticize anything related to music as a whole, and especially electronic music as you haven't any expertise on the matter. But even if you had a bigger than 20 CD's collection, your opinions would be stupid anyway. Just go check the wikipedia's definition of music. It's not yours to decide what is and what is not.

I still maintain that electronic sounds should not be called 'music', even though the DJ 'stars' cheesy.gif use samples taken from real musicians.

It's, funny, everytime a new style of music is created, like jazz, rock, hip hop or electronic music, there is always someone to throw a backward comments "it's not music" "it's just boom boom for savages" "they are not even able to play the piano" "i could to it on my computer", etc.

Well, newsflash, it's not with your huge lack of culture that you are properly fit to criticize anything related to music as a whole, and especially electronic music as you haven't any expertise on the matter. But even if you had a bigger than 20 CD's collection, your opinions would be stupid anyway. Just go check the wikipedia's definition of music. It's not yours to decide what is and what is not.

I don't need anyone to tell me what is music. It's crap and nothing but crap.. and newsflash, it aint new.

Sorry to disagree! I've worked in the music business since 1976. Trance/electronic may be popular in Europe and some other parts of the world, but it is not at all popular in the biggest consumer market in the world, namely the USA. Here a photo of the U2 setup at Oakland Stadium. Something you electronic "musicians" wouldn't even dream of!

post-44146-0-22160900-1357026355_thumb.j

Edited by Jimi007

So getting back to the topic, did anyone here actually go to this circus that sydictive tried to put on? Did it go until 6 am, or was it stopped early again as the mayor wants to show who is the boss?

I didn't go. But I did read it was shut down at 3:30 AM... Maybe they ran out of "talent?"laugh.png

Edited by Jimi007

No trolling here. Sure, electronic music is huge, but this is a tropical island with a high population of retired expats and with a cost that tends to keep the "electronic music" crowd in other parts of Thailand.

Since when is a beach, a "night entertainment venue????"

The Sydictive Group would have got a bigger crowd to a "festival" rather than a "rave."

Anyway, just like many starry eyed farang coming here and buying a beer bar, they will know better than try to do business here again and will probably move next year's party somewhere else.

It's a shame. It could of worked, and should have worked, but was chopped off at the knees.

You obviously have no idea about what you are talking about but keep on thinking you are making valid point based on your good business sixth sense. Actually, your comments are borderline retarded. clap2.gif

The expats are a niche market here, compared to the number of tourists. Nobody would want to organise anything for them, save for the corner's beer bar and its cover band.

You don't know what is the "electronic music crowd" as you've never been in any kind of club in your life. You seem to confuse them with the backpacker's type of crowd who favor full moon parties type. Well you have also the clubbing scene which is huge but also pretty much anybody from 18 to 40 would be willing to go party with some good DJs. Just look at how packed are hollywood, tiger, seduction, laguna discos everynight. Clearly not the expat customer type. I see plenty of young tourists everywhere this time of year. Clubs in bangkok are also packed with tourists for NYE, I'm pretty sure sydictive element wanted to make some of those party goers take a plane to phuket and party here. Sure why not? With a good planning, organisation skills and a better line up, it could have worked.

But certainly not with a rock festival. `Who wants to listen to a band for new years eve anyway? Better get wasted and dance all night... Costs to make some well known bands come to play on a beach would have been huge. It costs $100K to make some of the most famous DJs play for a night. For this price you can only get an obscure band that not many people have heard before.

"You don't know what is the "electronic music crowd" as you've never been in any kind of club in your life" - I've been to plenty - all around the world.

"You seem to confuse them with the backpacker's type of crowd who favor full moon parties type." - isn't this the "electronic music" crowd as well, or, is it about the venue, not the music???? Look how successful the Full Moon Party is on Koh Phagnan, without the floating stage and headline DJ's.

"Well you have also the clubbing scene which is huge but also pretty much anybody from 18 to 40 would be willing to go party with some good DJs." - this "party" was held on a beach, not inside a club. No air-conditioning, no proper toilets, the sand between your toes, everyone wearing beach clothes etc - a slightly different crowd to your more affluent clubbing crowd.

"Just look at how packed are hollywood, tiger, seduction, laguna discos everynight." - that's because the place is full of hookers. Do you really think all those Thai girls enjoy clubbing so much they go 7 nights a week???? smile.png They are working. If the hookers didn't go, how many tourist do you think would go to these venues? How was this event going to entice young guys into going and not chasing skirt, the Thai girls couldn't afford the ticket price. in fact, the price ruled out most Thai's, except those with a farang, and they are your expats. smile.png

"Clearly not the expat customer type." - have a look in any of the clubs you mention, but perticularly Taipan, during a low season. The crowd is mostly expats.

"Clubs in bangkok are also packed with tourists for NYE" - we are not in Bangkok, we are on Phuket, and the venue was not a club, it was on a beach.

"it could have worked" - yes, it could have, but it was sabotaged by the "influential people" on Phuket, probably to the surprise of the quite powerful organisers from Bangkok.

"But certainly not with a rock festival" - I draw your attention to the Syndictive Element Facebook page. They are calling it an "Electronic Dance Music FESTIVAL." So, is it a "festival" or a "party?"

https://www.facebook...ydictiveelement

"Who wants to listen to a band for new years eve anyway?" - a lot of people do. Just because you don't, doesn't mean an establishment that puts on live music for NYE will not get a crowd. Look at Rock City, Scruffy Murphy's and The Margarita Bar for live music. Always crowded, even in the low season. These venues have not gone broke, when many others have.

"Costs to make some well known bands come to play on a beach would have been huge." - yes, that's why I thought themed cover bands may have been cheaper.

Here's some questions for you. What do you think would have happened if it was a free event, with the floating stage, no fences, but Thaibev could sell alcohol and the headline act was the Thai band Carabao, with some coverbands for farang?

Do you think all the coupled up farang expats would have taken their missus, and perhaps organised to go with friends?

Do you think some curious tourists would have gone to see what this famous Thai band Carabao is all about?

Do you think they would have got 30,000 to the gig, mostly Thai people, instead of the ticket price barring most Thai's from the event?

Do you think it would have been profitable by way of advertising, promotion and drink sales for Thaibev? (especially drink sales as your crowd are not pill popping water drinkers trying to keep their core temperature down) smile.pngsmile.png

Do you think it would have gained positive publicity for Phuket, thus raising Phuket's profile as a NYE celebration destination?

Once again, it's not about the music, I like all genres. It's about business, and what would have appealed to the masses and got a crowd in.

Edited by NamKangMan

"You don't know what is the "electronic music crowd" as you've never been in any kind of club in your life" - I've been to plenty - all around the world.

"You seem to confuse them with the backpacker's type of crowd who favor full moon parties type." - isn't this the "electronic music" crowd as well, or, is it about the venue, not the music???? Look how successful the Full Moon Party is on Koh Phagnan, without the floating stage and headline DJ's.

"Well you have also the clubbing scene which is huge but also pretty much anybody from 18 to 40 would be willing to go party with some good DJs." - this "party" was held on a beach, not inside a club. No air-conditioning, no proper toilets, the sand between your toes, everyone wearing beach clothes etc - a slightly different crowd to your more affluent clubbing crowd.

"Just look at how packed are hollywood, tiger, seduction, laguna discos everynight." - that's because the place is full of hookers. Do you really think all those Thai girls enjoy clubbing so much they go 7 nights a week???? smile.png They are working. If the hookers didn't go, how many tourist do you think would go to these venues? How was this event going to entice young guys into going and not chasing skirt, the Thai girls couldn't afford the ticket price. in fact, the price rules out most Thai's, except those with a farang, and they are your expats. smile.png

"Clearly not the expat customer type." - have a look in any of the clubs you mention, but perticularly Taipan, during a low season. The crowd is mostly expats.

"Clubs in bangkok are also packed with tourists for NYE" - we are not in Bangkok, we are on Phuket, and the venue was not a club, it was on a beach.

"it could have worked" - yes, it could have, but it was sabotaged by the "influential people" on Phuket, probably to the surprise of the quite powerful organisers from Bangkok.

"But certainly not with a rock festival" - I draw your attention to the Syndictive Element Facebook page. They are calling it an "Electronic Dance Music FESTIVAL." So, is it a "festival" or a "party?"

"Who wants to listen to a band for new years eve anyway?" - a lot of people do. Just because you don't, doesn't mean an establishment that puts on live music for NYE will not get a crowd. Look at Rock City, Scruffy Murphy's and The Margarita Bar for live music. Always crowded, even in the low season. These venues have not gone broke, when many others have.

"Costs to make some well known bands come to play on a beach would have been huge." - yes, that's why I thought themed cover bands may have been cheaper.

Here's some questions for you. What do you think would have happened if it was a free event, with the floating stage, no fences, but Thaibev could sell alcohol and the headline act was the Thai band Carabao, with some coverbands for farang?

Do you think all the coupled up farang expats would have taken their missus, and perhaps organised to go with friends?

Do you think some tourist would have gone to see what this famous Thai band is all about?

Do you think they would have got 30,000 to the gig, mostly Thai people, instead of the ticket price barring most Thai's from the event?

Do you think it would have been profitable by way of advertising, promotion and drink sales for Thaibev? (especially drink sales as your crowd are not pill popping water drinkers trying to keep their core temperature down) smile.pngsmile.png

Once again, it's not about the music, I like all genres. It's about business, and what would have appealed to the masses.

25348030.jpg

Seriously, try to be more concise next time you attempt a reply. It's not even worth my time reading your gibberish, I don't even know why I'm replying to it right now...

Sorry to disagree! I've worked in the music business since 1976. Trance/electronic may be popular in Europe and some other parts of the world, but it is not at all popular in the biggest consumer market in the world, namely the USA. Here a photo of the U2 setup at Oakland Stadium. Something you electronic "musicians" wouldn't even dream of!

I don't see where it would be in disagreement to my post that was merely saying electronic music was just a style of music, wether some ignorant farmers think it is or not...

The use of quotes around musicians is showing a lot of disrespect, are you one of those farmers too?

Of course, rock and pop music can gather huge audiences. But even in USA most music played in bars and clubs is electronic music, from house to techno to RNB and so on...

At Jimi007.

I believe U2 own, not lease, all of their stage, sound and lighting. They also own their own jet airliner to transport it all. Do you know if that's true, Jimi?

I believe they had this stage built. The sound system is Clair Brothers. This show was about 50 semi trucks worth of gear. They had two of these stages and they would leap frog it to the next venue. I'm not sure what company did the lighting, but I could ask my friend who's here visiting as he was the production manager on this show. And I really doubt they own a 747. Most use Rockit Cargo. http://www.rockitcargo.com/content.asp and Stage Call transit. http://www.stagecall.com, which may have been the lighting company. Technology has been changing rapidly in our business, it's not really wise to own your own lights and sound.

"Just look at how packed are hollywood, tiger, seduction, laguna discos everynight." - that's because the place is full of hookers. Do you really think all those Thai girls enjoy clubbing so much they go 7 nights a week???? smile.png They are working. If the hookers didn't go, how many tourist do you think would go to these venues? How was this event going to entice young guys into going and not chasing skirt, the Thai girls couldn't afford the ticket price. in fact, the price rules out most Thai's, except those with a farang, and they are your expats. smile.png

Do you think some tourist would have gone to see what this famous Thai band is all about?

Once again, it's not about the music, I like all genres. It's about business, and what would have appealed to the masses.

25348030.jpg

Seriously, try to be more concise next time you attempt a reply. It's not even worth my time reading your gibberish, I don't even know why I'm replying to it right now...

Half of my post are quotes from your BS post. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

I even put it in point form to make it easier for you. :)

Edited by NamKangMan

I don't see where it would be in disagreement to my post that was merely saying electronic music was just a style of music, wether some ignorant farmers think it is or not...

The use of quotes around musicians is showing a lot of disrespect, are you one of those farmers too?

Of course, rock and pop music can gather huge audiences. But even in USA most music played in bars and clubs is electronic music, from house to techno to RNB and so on...

Wrong! Most clubs have musicians, not DJ's... I can't even think of one club around my area of California that has DJ's. By the way, I'm not an ignorant farmer. I am a highly trained professional, who has worked with the biggest acts in the world as well as the biggest CEOs and yes, I have even done sound for the President of the USA.

"It's not yours to decide what is and what is not." - and it's not yours, either. Talk about contradiction.