Sydictive Phuket Beach Bash Kicks Off Today – Amid Confusion And Stringent Rules

Lite Beer

Such lame and laughable comments from probably poor old uneducated geezers.

It's, funny, everytime a new style of music is created, like jazz, rock, hip hop or electronic music, there is always someone to throw a backward comments "it's not music" "it's just boom boom for savages" "they are not even able to play the piano" "i could to it on my computer", etc.

Well, newsflash, it's not with your huge lack of culture that you are properly fit to criticize anything related to music as a whole, and especially electronic music as you haven't any expertise on the matter. But even if you had a bigger than 20 CD's collection, your opinions would be stupid anyway. Just go check the wikipedia's definition of music. It's not yours to decide what is and what is not.

Sorry to disagree! I've worked in the music business since 1976. Trance/electronic may be popular in Europe and some other parts of the world, but it is not at all popular in the biggest consumer market in the world, namely the USA. Here a photo of the U2 setup at Oakland Stadium. Something you electronic "musicians" wouldn't even dream of!

I don't see where it would be in disagreement to my post that was merely saying electronic music was just a style of music, wether some ignorant farmers think it is or not...

The use of quotes around musicians is showing a lot of disrespect, are you one of those farmers too?

Of course, rock and pop music can gather huge audiences. But even in USA most music played in bars and clubs is electronic music, from house to techno to RNB and so on...

Wrong! Most clubs have musicians, not DJ's... I can't even think of one club around my area of California that has DJ's. By the way, I'm not an ignorant farmer. I am a highly trained professional, who has worked with the biggest acts in the world as well as the biggest CEOs and yes, I have even done sound for the President of the USA.

I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing. I'm talking about venues where customers go to drink and dance, not for listening to concert. My knowledge of USA is limited to only a few cities but it was not different from any other european cities... DJs pretty much everywhere.

So if you are not a farmer and know a bit about music, why are you saying electronic music is just "music", implying it is not?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pattaya has some great music festivals though out the year which are free. all done very well and large attendence with thai and foreigners. i would bet they had a 1st class one for NYE as well. but then again you don't have the greed that effects the brain.

"It's not yours to decide what is and what is not." - and it's not yours, either. Talk about contradiction.

I'm not deciding it. It's just a fact, how can you still debate that in 2013...

The definition of music is very broad : from wikipedia "Music is an art form whose medium is sound and silence. Its common elements are pitch (which governs melody and harmony), rhythm (and its associated concepts tempo, meter, and articulation), dynamics, and the sonic qualities of timbre and texture".

Why would electronic sounds be excluded from this definition?

Also, don't you find ironic that the exact same words "this crap is not even music" were told about jazz and rock years ago?

Sorry to disagree! I've worked in the music business since 1976. Trance/electronic may be popular in Europe and some other parts of the world, but it is not at all popular in the biggest consumer market in the world, namely the USA. Here a photo of the U2 setup at Oakland Stadium. Something you electronic "musicians" wouldn't even dream of!

I don't see where it would be in disagreement to my post that was merely saying electronic music was just a style of music, wether some ignorant farmers think it is or not...

The use of quotes around musicians is showing a lot of disrespect, are you one of those farmers too?

Of course, rock and pop music can gather huge audiences. But even in USA most music played in bars and clubs is electronic music, from house to techno to RNB and so on...

Wrong! Most clubs have musicians, not DJ's... I can't even think of one club around my area of California that has DJ's. By the way, I'm not an ignorant farmer. I am a highly trained professional, who has worked with the biggest acts in the world as well as the biggest CEOs and yes, I have even done sound for the President of the USA.

I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing. I'm talking about venues where customers go to drink and dance, not for listening to concert. My knowledge of USA is limited to only a few cities but it was not different from any other european cities... DJs pretty much everywhere.

So if you are not a farmer and know a bit about music, why are you saying electronic music is just "music", implying it is not?

So am I. Like I said I can't think of one! Most have bands and have had bands for decades. I am in the camp that believes music involves musicians... And I am quite certain I know more about live sound and music than you...

Technology has been changing rapidly in our business, it's not really wise to own your own lights and sound.

OK...but then it would also be impossible to rent or lease it. Because the owners of all light and sound rental business would be bankrupt because they are devoid of wisdom.

Crap music anyway. Dj's thinking they are music artists. cheesy.gif

You got that right for sure. thumbsup.gif

I still maintain that electronic sounds should not be called 'music', even though the DJ 'stars' cheesy.gif use samples taken from real musicians.

Very little skill and lots of hype! People are being conned.

It's not so much "people are being conned" as the "people who never lived through the 60's and early 70's are being conned".

Shame really - they'll never experience what that was like as it was a one-off period in music history.

• Like 1

Technology has been changing rapidly in our business, it's not really wise to own your own lights and sound.

OK...but then it would also be impossible to rent or lease it. Because the owners of all light and sound rental business would be bankrupt because they are devoid of wisdom.

You don't get it. You're not in the business. There are only a few international sound and light companies that support major touring acts. They make enough to keep up with the technology. Look at the two links I mentioned in a previous post.

This thread is pretty funny.

A bunch of old timers bashing the new music and the way the young choose party these days.

Get used to it guys. Or stay home. These parties or festivals or whatever they choose to call them are not going away.

I can't believe some posters were actually hoping and wishing that this thing would be a disaster.

Someone tries something new in the entertainment world and some of you seem to be glued to your computers and furiously typing away with glee when it fails.

Sad really!

• Like 2

A bunch of old timers bashing the new music and the way the young choose party these days.

Get used to it guys. Or stay home. These parties or festivals or whatever they choose to call them are not going away.

I can't believe some posters were actually hoping and wishing that this thing would be a disaster.

Someone tries something new in the entertainment world and some of you seem to be glued to your computers and furiously typing away with glee when it fails.

Sad really!

The glee comes from our predictions coming true. laugh.png

• Like 1

I don't fully understand a few of the 'my music is the only REAL music' opinions here.

Personally I appreciate a wide range of music across a broad spectrum finding that different genres and styles etcetera fit different moods. I find there is plenty of Electronic/Dance/club etc style music that is original and enjoyable.

Classical, Pop, Rock, Jazz, Electronica: It is all music, but to claim one style or one era rules over another is entirely subjective.

For anyone here who has been buttonholed by someone who claims that their music is the best, telling you about the intricacies and genius of some particular guitarist or album, you have my complete sympathies. laugh.png

"It's not yours to decide what is and what is not." - and it's not yours, either. Talk about contradiction.

I'm not deciding it. It's just a fact, how can you still debate that in 2013...

The definition of music is very broad : from wikipedia "Music is an art form whose medium is sound and silence. Its common elements are pitch (which governs melody and harmony), rhythm (and its associated concepts tempo, meter, and articulation), dynamics, and the sonic qualities of timbre and texture".

Why would electronic sounds be excluded from this definition?

Also, don't you find ironic that the exact same words "this crap is not even music" were told about jazz and rock years ago?

You are mixing (pardon the pun) me up with another member. I agree it is a form of music. I have never stated that it is not. I have stated that the event is not my type of party. I have no problem with the beach venue, but the music, at that ticket price, and for hours on end, is not the party for me. I don't mind some electronic music now and then, on a big night.

I have not critisized the DJ's in regards to how they go about their work.

What I am posting about is the demographic that electronic music appeals to, and if there is enough of that demographic on Phuket to justify a huge capital outlay to host such an event here.

I have stated that music appealing to a wider audience, or different genres of music within the same event, so there is something for everyone, may have seen this party be a success, despite the "issues" between the organisers and Phuket's "influential people."

The world would be a boring place if there was only one genre of music. Choice of music is a personal preference that can change with age, mood, alcohol/drug consumption etc. My posts are not critisizing electronic music, but stating that this particulr event needed to cater for a wider audience in order for it to be a success, given the short period of time it was put together, and that mean a wider range of music for general the general listening pleasure of the great population.

Sad really!

I do stay home unless they pay me a lot to work! The last show I got comps to was probably the Back Street Boys when my daughter was a teen! And N'Sync... I get paid to see the Who, Stones, McCartney, U2, Clapton etc...

Sad really!

It thought it was sad to see an event that had so much potential, and big backing to pull it off, get sabotaged by the usual suspects here.

They will probably stage it somewhere else next year, and why shouldn't they?

Whilst it's not my type of party, I had no problem with it, but did question the event's target audience, which I thought not large enough to justify the huge outlay.

Sadly, I don't think anyone will be attempting anything similar here in the foreseeable future.

It thought it was sad to see an event that had so much potential, and big backing to pull it off, get sabotaged by the usual suspects here.

Sabotage? I don't think so.

The organizers didn't organize. At least half the time between announcement and show was spent arguing about putting it on in Surin.

By the time the venue was changed, there was no time to put this thing on properly.

As I said before in a previous post, arrogance and incompetence sank this particular ship.

Don't you think that the powers that be shouldn't have insisted on the safety measures, toilets, bins and responsibility for a clean up?

Do you think that any commercial entity should be able to use a beach, which is public land, to make a profit?

Do you think they should be allowed to take short cuts with regard to a liquor licence?

How about the punters that forked over a not inconsiderable amount of money for a 4th rate show? Do you think this company will refund them?

I totally agree! No they won't refund. They have lost their ass! The photos of their proposed stage versus the real one says it all!

So am I. Like I said I can't think of one! Most have bands and have had bands for decades. I am in the camp that believes music involves musicians... And I am quite certain I know more about live sound and music than you...

I'm pretty sure you know quite a lot about live sound, but about music, clearly not... Just the fact that you don't think someone who composes music with computers and electronic devices, or play with turntables is not a musician says a lot.

I'm pretty sure you know quite a lot about live sound, but about music, clearly not... Just the fact that you don't think someone who composes music with computers and electronic devices, or play with turntables is not a musician says a lot.

Yes it does. I've made a good living in the music business. What do you do for a living?

Sabotage? I don't think so.

The organizers didn't organize. At least half the time between announcement and show was spent arguing about putting it on in Surin.

By the time the venue was changed, there was no time to put this thing on properly.

As I said before in a previous post, arrogance and incompetence sank this particular ship.

Don't you think that the powers that be shouldn't have insisted on the safety measures, toilets, bins and responsibility for a clean up?

Do you think that any commercial entity should be able to use a beach, which is public land, to make a profit?

Do you think they should be allowed to take short cuts with regard to a liquor licence?

How about the punters that forked over a not inconsiderable amount of money for a 4th rate show? Do you think this company will refund them?

KB, it would be good to get all the facts leading up to the downfall of this event, rather than what we read in the press. It maybe possible the organisers made contact quite a while ago, with the whole issue going public only due to the stalemate.

I have said in a previous post that all invoved should share in the blame for this failed event, but that's not the Thai way.

There seemed to be a general theme, reading between the lines, that the local "influential people" were not keen on an entity that did not pay gratuities to them, staging a profitable event on their turf. It was quite funny to see certain people in Phuket state publically about how all the relevent laws have to be obeyed when those same people are the biggest law breakers on the island.

I agree with your arrogance and incompetance comment, but I would suggest it was on both sides, not just the organisers. Why wouldn't Phuket welcome another event with open arms, especially in the peak season and for NYE? Why couldn't all stakeholders sit down and look for solutions to issues, rather than stall and hold meeting after meeting, achieving nothing.

Of course I do not think a commercial enterprise should run an event without safety and hygiene standards in place.

Too many people have already died, or been seriously injury, by things like this being put together with no concern other than to make a quick baht.

Should a commercial enterprise be allowed to use a public beach? This is a question relevant to Phuket. In general, my answer is no, but as we have a sun bed business, hawkers, massage ladies, jet skis, food vendors etc all using the beach for financial gain, day in day out, I did not see a huge problem with the beach being used for one night out of the year for an event such as this. So, obvious double standards in play because those using the beach pay certain people for the privledge, yet those same people denied use of the beach for this event..

Do I think the organisers should be allowed to bypass liquor licence laws, once again, in general, no, but this is Phuket and the same people breaching their licences are demanding the organisers comply with their licence. Once again, double standards, and where are the police in all of this, nowhere. They are certainly not fair and impartial and upholding the rule of law for all.

No, I do not think the punters will be refunded. They have done their money. That's Thailand for farang. Money go out - money not go in. :) :)

Should a commercial enterprise be allowed to use a public beach? This is a question relevant to Phuket. In general, my answer is no, but as we have a sun bed business, hawkers, massage ladies, jet skis, food vendors etc all using the beach for financial gain, day in day out, I did not see a huge problem with the beach being used for one night out of the year for an event such as this. So, obvious double standards in play because those using the beach pay certain people for the privledge, yet those same people denied use of the beach for this event..

No....not double standards at all. Those businesses that you quote do not section off pieces of the beach and only allow "their" customers access.

To have a beach chair concession, or a jet-ski concession, that person must be local and when I say local I mean you must come from the same area as the beach that the concession is on.

No....not double standards at all. Those businesses that you quote do not section off pieces of the beach and only allow "their" customers access.

To have a beach chair concession, or a jet-ski concession, that person must be local and when I say local I mean you must come from the same area as the beach that the concession is on.

The big resorts have private beaches. In any case, we are only talking about one night of the year.

Are you against the F1 in Bangkok because the race will be held on public roads???? :) :)

The big resorts have private beaches. In any case, we are only talking about one night of the year.

Are you against the F1 in Bangkok because the race will be held on public roads???? smile.pngsmile.png

They don't have private beaches! They only own the land before and the rocks at the side of the beach.

Feel free, to go there by boat!giggle.gif

No they don't. They may control access by land, but, you can walk and stay on any beach in Thailand if you arrive by boat.

All beaches in Thailand are owned by His Majesty the King and are open to the general public.

Surprised you didn't know that.........or, did you think that I didn't know that?

Sorry, but, roads and beaches are clearly different. Beaches are used for their intrinsic beauty and to access the sea. Roads are used to get around and are not areas of natural beauty.

No they don't. They may control access by land, but, you can walk and stay on any beach in Thailand if you arrive by boat.

All beaches in Thailand are owned by His Majesty the King and are open to the general public.

Surprised you didn't know that.........or, did you think that I didn't know that?

Sorry, but, roads and beaches are clearly different. Beaches are used for their intrinsic beauty and to access the sea. Roads are used to get around and are not areas of natural beauty.

In theory, the man you refer to may own the beach, but in practice, we all know who "controls" Patong beach and it's not the man you refer to.

What about the security guards on the beach checking to see you are a guest of the hotel / resort?

What about the blocking of Bangla Road everynight, and sometimes for food festivals etc?

It's not uncommon for public places to hold commercial events, anywhere in the world.

All I'm saying is it's one night of the year, not a regular event.

Even Bondi Beach in Sydney - Australia, with all it's laws, regulations and health and safety for the beach, manage to put on an annual beach event. Surely Phuket could. See below link.

http://sunburntchristmas.com.au/

What about this famous gig - Fatboy Slim on Brighton Beach - England. The organisers would have hoped for something similar here, so to all the farang business owners.

I've got no problem with people dancing and enjoying themselves on a public strip of sand for a few hours once a year.

Edited by NamKangMan

Your examples are getting desperate.......

We are not talking about roads, we are talking about beaches in Thailand, not Australia. People don't fly all the way to Phuket for it's roads; they come here for the beaches which just happen to be public land.

Nothing wrong with parties on beaches as long as areas are not fenced off to make a profit by a group of individuals.

I won't be responding to any more of your "straw man" arguments.

Edited by KarenBravo

What about the security guards checking to see you are a guest of the hotel / resort?

What about the blocking of Bangla Road everynight and sometimes for food festivals etc?

All I'm saying is it's one night of the year, not a regular event.

Oh come on - we have all been here long enough to know that rules can or cannot be enforced depending on who is receiving and who is paying the 'fees'. Lighten up folks.