New Year Resolution - Time For Some Self Control

SlyAnimal

I have so much pain & injuries so i cant continue unless i start to warm up, but the catch is my back cant last a warm-up, i have about 5 min. window of opportunity before my back is messed up, so that pretty much exclude treadmill & rowing, suggestion that does not include standing ?

As others stated the rowing machine is a good way to warmup. I really think it wont mess your back up unless you go all out on it.

On the last row I covered up my monitor with a towel. I was interested to see how my final numbers would compare to when I'm watching the monitor. It ended up being quite a bit less intense. I needed to row nearly 3 minutes longer to burn the same calories.

I started enjoying un-monitored rowing as the monitor has not been functioning at the gym for 6 months. I use a stop watch for the time.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just been watching an interesting show about weightloss and there were some experts saying that only between 2 percent to 5 percent of people who tried to lose weight were successful long term.

And when those successful people were interviewed they all said that they were extremely careful in what they ate and they exercised regularly.

In other words you have to be totally committed to keep the weight off long term.

Just been watching an interesting show about weightloss and there were some experts saying that only between 2 percent to 5 percent of people who tried to lose weight were successful long term.

And when those successful people were interviewed they all said that they were extremely careful in what they ate and they exercised regularly.

In other words you have to be totally committed to keep the weight off long term.

What did they consider "long term" in the calculation of their estimates?

There's another big problem to consider when deciding on success of weight loss programs. People are so obsessed with the scale and BMI that many of them end up being skinny fat.

It would be extremely difficult to estimate success of programs without any accurate measurement of fat. People talk about "weight loss" when they should be thinking "fat loss".

Yes its a lifestyle change, you need to make permanent changes and stick with it. That is hard in todays society as food is everywhere and bigger portions all the time. Most people just can't be bothered.

Weight has been creeping up on me too.. but thankfully mostly muscle. Probably still around the same fat percentage or maybe a little up but not much. But thing is weight is up .. so that would mean unsuccessful.

So I am agreeing with Tropo its about fat not weight.

Other example.. gf is looking slimmer pants are fitting looser but weight is staying the same.. But she has been exercising, rowing on the rowing machine and doing squats with my hex bar. She is getting a bit toned (still more to go) so its really hard to pin it down on weight only. If people start to take sport seriously its going to impact lean bodymass not huge but still its there.

There's another big problem to consider when deciding on success of weight loss programs. People are so obsessed with the scale and BMI that many of them end up being skinny fat.

It would be extremely difficult to estimate success of programs without any accurate measurement of fat. People talk about "weight loss" when they should be thinking "fat loss".

They didn't define long term.

And sure fat percentage is the more important figure to focus on.

Nonetheless I think the general message remains true ie for those who want to avoid being obese they need to exercise regularly and be vigilant in what they eat. Further that requires a fair amount of self discipline.

Edited by Tolley

They didn't define long term.

And sure fat percentage is the more important figure to focus on.

Nonetheless I think the general message remains true ie for those who want to avoid being obese they need to exercise regularly and be vigilant in what they eat. Further that requires a fair amount of self discipline.

Nobody said it was easy... i don't feel its easy anyway I always have to take care.

Nobody said it was easy... i don't feel its easy anyway I always have to take care.

I find keeping the bodyfat low is very easy. It's gaining muscle that is proving problematic.Of course getting to and staying in single digits would be difficult, but low teens is not. Perhaps you'll find if you keep your bodyfat low for couple of years it will become your new fat point and prove easy to maintain.

Edited by tropo

I find keeping the bodyfat low is very easy. It's gaining muscle that is proving problematic.Of course getting to and staying in single digits would be difficult, but low teens is not. Perhaps you'll find if you keep your bodyfat low for couple of years it will become your new fat point and prove easy to maintain.

I have no idea if that is true would be nice.. not sure you can reset your metabolic rate. Did read stuff about this but the jury is still out about this. Some say it can be done others say it cant.

I have no idea if that is true would be nice.. not sure you can reset your metabolic rate. Did read stuff about this but the jury is still out about this. Some say it can be done others say it cant.

Well the experts on this show last night were saying that you can reset your metabolic rate and that is why when you become overweight it is hard to shift the weight because your metabolic rate has been altered to see the overweight condition as normal. Therefore it should also work in reverse as Tropo has mentioned.