New Year Resolution - Time For Some Self Control

SlyAnimal

My New Years Resolution as far as training is concerned.

Find better ways to train.

Don't over train.

Be more gentle on my aging joints.

My once ever other day routine is working well so far. It's great having so much time off from the gym and seeing more muscle growth as a result.

So you are following my routine now.smile.png I am a one day on one day off guy for weights. I will do cardio in between.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't over train.

My once ever other day routine is working well so far. It's great having so much time off from the gym and seeing more muscle growth as a result.

So you are following my routine now.smile.png I am a one day on one day off guy for weights. I will do cardio in between.

So effectively you are working out 7 days a week (im doing that but Tropo says and i might agree that it could lead to overtraining)

Easy, its good for the heart and it helps to burn fat. With the extra stamina you get you will feel better in the gym during weight sessions too. Not to mention with loads of other activities. I know i know i hated it too but rowing is a kind of cardio i actually like.

Don't over train.

I've followed it before, so it's nothing new.... just last year I was pushing it a bit. If you train very hard with weights the cardio can interfere with your recovery (progress) though. It all depends on your goals. The rest days are very good for the mind as well as the body.

Perhaps 3 days per week would be even better for most people. I'm doing slightly more frequency at 3.5 days per week, but I have a specific program which requires that frequency.

Don't over train.

So effectively you are working out 7 days a week (im doing that but Tropo says and i might agree that it could lead to overtraining)

Yes, if cardio is done on the rest days, it's more than 7 days a week - it's 30/31 days a month or 365 days a year. It means never having a rest day.

I think this can lead to mental as well as physical burnout. If you push the cardio hard your weight workouts will suffer and vice versa. For me weight workouts are more important, but for Tolley it's probably the other way around because he wants to stay in peak condition for squash playing.

Robblok was mainly concerned with burning max calories and holding onto his muscle mass, so this served a purpose, but I don't think it is ideal for maximum muscle gain.

Let me hear your reason(s) for doing cardio ?

I'm a cardio / running only guy and the benefits are almost too many to list. Really, the plus points from training on the TR, bike or similar feed into almost every facet of your lifestyle, even if your someone like me that doesn't do weights.

My resolution is fairly modest:

i will be twice as strong by dec 31 2013 compared to nov 30 2012

and lost 10 kg fat

I guess the fat one will be achievable but the strength one sounds tough blink.png , really tough.

I'm running on a TR at the moment and found it OK to ramp-up the distance over the last 4-6 weeks, adding 5-10 mins to the longest run per week. Increasing the running speed though would be dead hard, even going from say 9 to 10 km/hr has a hell of an impact.

My resolution is fairly modest:

i will be twice as strong by dec 31 2013 compared to nov 30 2012

and lost 10 kg fat

I guess the fat one will be achievable but the strength one sounds tough blink.png , really tough.

I'm running on a TR at the moment and found it OK to ramp-up the distance over the last 4-6 weeks, adding 5-10 mins to the longest run per week. Increasing the running speed though would be dead hard, even going from say 9 to 10 km/hr has a hell of an impact.

Actually twice as strong in stuff like bench press and such can be achieved by someone who just starts, it kinda depends on the starting point how bad that was and the potential.

I'm on a bus to bkk now, I'm hoping to check out a sports store a friend recommended in ramkhamhaeng today (if my bus arrives in time), to see if they have a concept 2 model d for cheaper than the other shop quoted me. Otherwise tomorrow ill probably go and buy from the other shop for 58,000

Good to know was just curious about how it went with you, i hope you are slowly loosing weight and stay on track. Have you ever used a rower ? It takes some getting used to and its a good idea to get the technique down first before doing it real intense.

I used a rowing machine in high school, as had a lot of friends who rowed and wanted to show me the correct technique etc. 10 years without using one though so im probably pretty rusty but I remember most of the basics.

And weight loss wise I'm not sure at the moment. I'd gone from 112.2kg on 01/01 down to 106.8kg on 15/01 but I've been on an English camp at the beach with my school this week (and now in Bkk for a couple of days, where I probably won't exercise and will eat more/worse foods*). At camp I was doing a bit of swimming and leading the students in morning fitness sessions, but eating different foods and unable to weigh myself. I'm more sore than what I get from running though, and not just from the sunburn lol, so hopefully it'll balance out any BKK indulgences lol.

On the whole I think it's going well though, and am confident that I can stick to it, as I don't feel like I've had to make too bigger "sacrifices" yet in my diet, since I've mainly just cut back the rice I consume while maintaining the good stuff lol. Biggest sacrifice is soft drinks/junkfood, but I still have them occasionally anyway, just significantly less frequently. And running is enjoyable, its a drag to get into but im starting to get into a routine now and the weight loss benefits are nice too although mainly the fitness benefits are what make it really worthwhile

(*since I want a longterm lifestyle change, which I can maintain, I'm not prohibiting fastfood or junkfood etc. rather just trying to restrict them)

Being a big fella at 110kg myself, I have just started my new way of life by trying to drop the kg's off.

Are you not self aware or feel all the kids/ teachers eyes on you when your pounding the track?

I know on Tuesday I taught an impromptu basketball class at my school, sadly I was wearing my shirt and trouser type get up, the slightest jog or few steps with the ball had me so self aware, the students didnt bat an eyelid though. I know baggy or sports clothes are better.

I will start running on Monday around my school track, like you. I used to love running X country in England and as you say gives time to think. I just feel like a child though shy to leave his mothers side for some daft reason.

I know it will be worth it when I drop some or a lot of the gut and moobs but its just I need a push.

Help me chaps.

PS - I have been reading this thread and others that you guys post on and my blood work came back fine not that long ago. I've just been a lazy ish git.

Thanks.

Edited by jambco984
  • Like 1

I used a rowing machine in high school, as had a lot of friends who rowed and wanted to show me the correct technique etc. 10 years without using one though so im probably pretty rusty but I remember most of the basics.

And weight loss wise I'm not sure at the moment. I'd gone from 112.2kg on 01/01 down to 106.8kg on 15/01 but I've been on an English camp at the beach with my school this week (and now in Bkk for a couple of days, where I probably won't exercise and will eat more/worse foods*). At camp I was doing a bit of swimming and leading the students in morning fitness sessions, but eating different foods and unable to weigh myself. I'm more sore than what I get from running though, and not just from the sunburn lol, so hopefully it'll balance out any BKK indulgences lol.

On the whole I think it's going well though, and am confident that I can stick to it, as I don't feel like I've had to make too bigger "sacrifices" yet in my diet, since I've mainly just cut back the rice I consume while maintaining the good stuff lol. Biggest sacrifice is soft drinks/junkfood, but I still have them occasionally anyway, just significantly less frequently. And running is enjoyable, its a drag to get into but im starting to get into a routine now and the weight loss benefits are nice too although mainly the fitness benefits are what make it really worthwhile

(*since I want a longterm lifestyle change, which I can maintain, I'm not prohibiting fastfood or junkfood etc. rather just trying to restrict them)

I think you are right by not being to strict right away. I started of slow too and worked my way up to where i am. But that is not for everyone If you can restrict yourself and it is working its good enough. It all depends what you want. I do know one thing its better to be less strict and keep on going then to go all out and stop after 2 months.

But if the scales aren't moving (they are in your case) you will have to step it up, either more exercise or more restrictions.

I hope to hear from you again keep this thread alive, its good to see some body transformations. I am almost tempted to post some before and after pics of me. Though this being an open forum keeps me from it. Plus my username is my real name.

That's awesome to hear Jambco, I'm thrilled to know that this thread has helped you to gain extra motivation to start training aswell..

And yes I was initially shy about the students. Which is why I only start running around 5pm or later, when there aren't as many students around. But most of the students who are there, are there to play sport or train themselves, so it doesn't bother me. Although when I started, and some of the other guys running lapped me, it made me pretty shy, but they don't do that anymore since my fitness has improved

Just the fitness which I've gained in a couple of weeks, has made me feel a lot more confident. So when my boss asked me to lead our students on their morning fitness sessions at English camp I wasn't scared at all. Haha it's amazing how much fitter than most of them I was, which gave me a huge confidence boost. Since to me, being fit is probably more important than simply losing weight.

• Like 1

That's awesome to hear Jambco, I'm thrilled to know that this thread has helped you to gain extra motivation to start training aswell..

And yes I was initially shy about the students. Which is why I only start running around 5pm or later, when there aren't as many students around. But most of the students who are there, are there to play sport or train themselves, so it doesn't bother me. Although when I started, and some of the other guys running lapped me, it made me pretty shy, but they don't do that anymore since my fitness has improved

Just the fitness which I've gained in a couple of weeks, has made me feel a lot more confident. So when my boss asked me to lead our students on their morning fitness sessions at English camp I wasn't scared at all. Haha it's amazing how much fitter than most of them I was, which gave me a huge confidence boost. Since to me, being fit is probably more important than simply losing weight.

I will reply tomorrow as Im watching the Liverpool Norwich game and my Uncle and brother alwats tell me to look out for them in the kop end. Not seen them for a while so good to see them if possible freezing in the snow haha.

Thanks for the reply and extra motivation ;-)

You guys just should keep doing it, and going slow at times is not bad just don't give up. The worst things is a weight plateau when your doing everything right. It takes a lot of mental strength go on then. I wish you both a lot of luck but it can be done many people can testify to that.

• Like 2

Yeah this was my thinking, wait until about 5pm and then hit it or maybe crawl it the first few times haha.

I agree totally that being fit is more important than an actual goal for the weight. Hopefully they will just both work out nicely together.

First day at it tomorrow, I have been smashing a no carb, no sugar high protein diet for just over a week so i now have energy and no head aches which hit at days 3 and 4.

Was a wee bit naughty last night had a handful of fries and a few whisky and sodas but that wont hurt my state of ketosis i dont think?? Maybe someone knows more about this than me.

Take it easy out there folks.... but not too easy ;-)

Of course it kills your state of ketosis, alcohol is sugar.

But on the whisky bottle and the health tracker app i use it says 0% sugar??

Also my mate has done this diet before and drank whisky with no problems??

Edited by jambco984

Of course it kills your state of ketosis, alcohol is sugar.

But on the whisky bottle and the health tracker app i use it says 0% sugar??

Also my mate has done this diet before and drank whisky with no problems??

Ok my mistake, i thought it counted as carbs, i read up on it and it does not influence it.

Can I drink booze while trying to be low-carb or keto? Sure! Provided you have no medical conditions that would otherwise prohibit it, it’s perfectly fine to drink in moderation while you’re low-carbing it. BUT, you have to be aware of the carb and calorie counts of whatever you’re drinking!

Bear in mind that alcohol IS caloric. Your body has no mechanism to store the energy in alcohol, so you will metabolize the calories in alcohol before any other energy sources. That means that while your body is metabolizing alcohol, it is NOT metabolizing fat. Consuming alcohol will not knock you out of ketosis, but it will delay the results.

• Like 1

I managed 50 km running last week - all on the treadmill, split over 7 sessions, at about 8.5 km/hr. I'm going to try and keep it at this level for the next 4-5 weeks, but try and up the speed a bit in prep for the 10K race on the 24th Feb.

Weight loss is slow but still happening - I can now get in and button-up my 36 in waist trs but lets just say they are a bit 'tight' - hopefully by the end of the month I'm be able to wear them in civilized society.

Going to stick with the regular exercise and hope that the weight loss looks after itself.

On alcohol, I haven't had a drop since first week of Dec and I feel thats been a significant factor in the weight loss I have achieved. I might re-start moderate drinking when I achieve my target weight / fitness level,

I managed 50 km running last week - all on the treadmill, split over 7 sessions, at about 8.5 km/hr. I'm going to try and keep it at this level for the next 4-5 weeks, but try and up the speed a bit in prep for the 10K race on the 24th Feb.

Weight loss is slow but still happening - I can now get in and button-up my 36 in waist trs but lets just say they are a bit 'tight' - hopefully by the end of the month I'm be able to wear them in civilized society.

Going to stick with the regular exercise and hope that the weight loss looks after itself.

On alcohol, I haven't had a drop since first week of Dec and I feel thats been a significant factor in the weight loss I have achieved. I might re-start moderate drinking when I achieve my target weight / fitness level,

I have stopped for a year and i am sure not drinking helps a lot, but getting back to drinking will help you pack the weight back on for sure. Unless you really keep an eye on it but its something to worry about only a few beers can mean 33% of your daily intake of food.

• Like 1

I have stopped for a year and i am sure not drinking helps a lot, but getting back to drinking will help you pack the weight back on for sure. Unless you really keep an eye on it but its something to worry about only a few beers can mean 33% of your daily intake of food.

Another problem with alcohol (and I think there are many) is the dehydration effect. When exercising a lot in SE Asia, say > 1 hr a day, its hard to keep on top of the water you need to drink to maintain your health and athletic performance. This was one of the reasons I switched from Tony's to CaWoW: when running for more than 30-40 mins in a non-AC environment, the fluid-loss was incredible.

Another problem with alcohol (and I think there are many) is the dehydration effect. When exercising a lot in SE Asia, say > 1 hr a day, its hard to keep on top of the water you need to drink to maintain your health and athletic performance. This was one of the reasons I switched from Tony's to CaWoW: when running for more than 30-40 mins in a non-AC environment, the fluid-loss was incredible.

I am lucky to train at home, i open an aircon and place a few (yes i got 2 or 3) fans on my body when doing cardio. I still drench my t shirt but i once tried to row when there was no electricity... bad choice think i lost 3 or 4 times the fluids i normally do.

When training with weights i just open the aircon and one fan, i try to stay out of the path of the aircon then when resting.

As for the alcohol, i really don't miss it but then again i don't go out and party too much. I might miss it if i did that because that can be boring without a drink.