Fee To Leave Thailand?

Forethat

Actually it was a lot longer ago than 10 years but for a short period there used to be an additional fee of about 1,000 baht for Thai leaving Thailand charged by the government (not airport) to restrict money going out of country.

• Like 1

Curious .... Was this really a security check to leave the country as implied by the OP or simply a typical airport tax/fee broken out separately? I mean did they charge it at land crossings too?

It was less than 6 years ago, as I remember paying it and have not been here that long. It used to be a machine before passing through into the Immigration area, you had to show the staff the receipt from the machine before being allowed entry to the immigration areas.

Let me know when, and where you are leaving, and myself, or one of my agents will meet you to collect the fee (arrangements can even be made to collect the fee at your hotel a few days before your departure), which has now been raised to bt5000. This is now a one time, lifetime lasting payment, and the receipt will allow you to leave Thailand in the future unhindered for additional departure fees. A picture of you will be taken, and entered into the system ensuring that all Thai departure personel will know you have paid the optional fee, and will not hinder your departures from anywhere in Thailand in the future over this fee....hehehehehe.

• Like 1

500 Baht was the departure tax or airport tax prior to it being upped to 700 Baht prior to it being included in the ticket cost.

However if you wish to call it a security check fee or bribe so everyone can work themselves up into a Daily-Mail-reader state of indignation, be my guest.thumbsup.gif

And before the Thai bashers arrive and condemn the greedy Thais for yet another ripping off of farangs;

• Every one pays it, Thai and non Thai.
  • Many countries have such a tax; in the UK it is included in the price of the ticket.

500 Baht was the departure tax or airport tax prior to it being upped to 700 Baht prior to it being included in the ticket cost.

However if you wish to call it a security check fee or bribe so everyone can work themselves up into a Daily-Mail-reader state of indignation, be my guest.thumbsup.gif

And before the Thai bashers arrive and condemn the greedy Thais for yet another ripping off of farangs;

• Every one pays it, Thai and non Thai.
  • Many countries have such a tax; in the UK it is included in the price of the ticket.

Australia have it included in the ticket price too.

In the UK the rate depends upon the distance from London to the capital city of the country flying to, except for the Russian Federation which is split into west and east of the Urals, and whether you are economy, in which case you pay what the 'reduced rate,' or a higher class, in which case you pay the 'standard rate.'

The current minimum 'reduced rate' for flights of up to 2,000 miles is £13, the maximum 'reduced rate' for flights of 6,000 miles or more is £92.

The equivalent 'standard rates' are £26 and £184.

These rates are set to change in April 2013; most of them going up.

(Source)

I clearly remember the 500 baht departure charge,which most travellers saved from their holiday spending money,if you didn't have it in cash,then it was a trip to the ATM.

Turkey had a novel charge of a £10 note, which had to be in your Passport on arrival. If you didn't have it in cash,then it you were sent to the back of the queue for credit card payments,which could mean losing your transfer onwards,to your hotel!

Just looked up a random flight on Kayak UK. BHX-BKK flight £600 tax £107 total £707. What a tax rip-off!

Not that it will make you feel any better but be happy you are not flying from the US. I just pulled up a random round trip flight from NY to BKK on Expedia ... the tax is more than 40% of the total ticket price.

Flight - ฿22,630.00

Taxes & Fees - ฿15,860.0

Total = 38,490 (This doesn't include another 1009 baht Expedia fee)