Visa Run From Chiang Mai?!

triplex76

hi guys n gurlz!

will be heading up to chiang mai shortly and as my tourist visa is about to expire i am currently looking into visa runs from chiang mai!

generally speaking is it not worth talking about as it soeasy or is there anything i should consider now already?

can anyone give me any hints or tips on the services there are...i.e. visa run agents, operators?

help of all kind is more tha welcome!

greetz up north!

me

You can just grab a bus from the bus station and go to Mae Sai, cross the border and come back. Perhaps visit Chiang Rai also, as you're passing it.

Don't really need a tour unless you really want to do it in the shortest possible time and be back in the afternoon of the same day.

thanks guys!

guess i will stay a night there...good idea!

twomore things:

1. i read something about having to have 10000 baht with you to show to the officials

2. is there a immigration office where i could get a tourist visa (approx. 2000 baht) if i couldnt be arsd to do the trip?

thanks again and may run into you in chinag mai soon!

aloha!

>twomore things:

>1. i read something about having to have 10000 baht with you

> to show to the officials

This is somethign they may ask for, especially for people who are staying in Thailand permanently but without proper visas and such, but just do visa runs every month. If you have a way of quickly obtaining 10,000 baht (ATM, etc) then I'd say that's enough. I don't think you're too likely to be asked to show 10K for a regular tourist doing a visa run who otherwise looks like he's not a bum. (Assuming you don't look like a bum. :o)

> 2. is there a immigration office where i could get a tourist visa (approx.

> 2000 baht) if i couldnt be arsd to do the trip?

No. You could however get a tourist visa EXTENDED at the ChianG mai immigration office near the airport. If however you're here on a visa-free 30 day stay, that this can not be extended significantly. (Well, perhaps by a week/10 days or so, which would not be worth the effort and money).

As a visa extension is 1900 baht, it's actually cheaper to just go to Mae Sai and make it part of your travels/holiday.

Cheers,

Chanchao

uh the signs for showing baht are still up at Mae Sai. They are faded and list three amounts of 10K, 20K and 30K for families. Was just there a week ago.

Yes they are most certainly. I drove some overseas guests up who wanted to do some shopping in Myanmar for the day. I took them to Immigration control to make sure all was in order and the signs, all be it a trifle faded, were still there.

If you look like you don't have two cents to your name, you could still well be asked to show means! As all the signs say "dress polite" :o