Mechanic

polecat

I obviously posted this in the wrong location last week (thought mechanic recommendations would go well in the info section). Am, for some reason, unable to delete my post there - maybe a kind hearted mod could do so.

Any suggestions for English speaking car mechanics?

I've got an old banger that needs some TLC, and am not good enough in Thai or enginese to get done what I want.

Decided my previous guy was having me on and am loathe to go back.

Near the Old City would be ideal.

Many thanks

Your desire for 'English-speaking' is the problem, for me... Why not simply use the dealer for your car? Toyota= Nihom Panich, etc. I'm pretty sure most any dealer can scare up an English speaker for you.

Or, for another answer, find a Thai guy who you trust to advocate for you, and to explain things to you.

Edited by Ajarn

Sure, but neither of those options seem viable in this case.

The car in question is something of an (ahem) antique, and I'm sure the big posh Mitsubishi dealership bills would pay for the car several times over. I will, however, look into it.

I've been helped by Thai friends many times in the past and just want to deal with this myself. Would hate to be one of those farang who use Thai friends like a service.

There's also another factor:

I bought the car from a farang leaving the country in a pretty slipshod "here's the papers, here's the cash" kind of deal. Now the tax and insurance have run out, as has my work permit/visa. So, I've got an uninsured, untaxed car in someone else's name (I know, pitiful, isn't it) and a tourist visa.

Anyone got any ideas whether I can still transfer the car to my name and get tax and insurance?

I realise I could go through a Thai pal, but as I said before, I'd prefer to deal with this myself, if possible

Cheers

No worries on the transfer, from what I can see. Your visa is no problem, and it looks to me like you only need an 'address verification' paper from immigration (300 baht, 2 photos, no hassle)

Dealership prices aren't always so expensive, :o

I've been helped by Thai friends many times in the past and just want to deal with this myself. Would hate to be one of those farang who use Thai friends like a service.

The key to that independence is to speak and understand the language, as I'm sure you already know. Ignorance isn't always bliss :D

Cheers, I'll look into that

The key to that independence is to speak and understand the language, as I'm sure you already know. Ignorance isn't always bliss :o

Agreed. I do alright, but as I said, not enough to deal with mechanics.

Thanks Teach

No worries on the transfer, from what I can see. Your visa is no problem, and it looks to me like you only need an 'address verification' paper from immigration (300 baht, 2 photos, no hassle)

The key to that independence is to speak and understand the language, as I'm sure you already know. Ignorance isn't always bliss :o

Unfortunately one is required to be in posession of a Non Immigrant visa to hold a Thai driving licence and to register a vehicle in their own name. There is a notice displayed on the wall of the registration offices on the Hang Dong road to this effect. I just purchased a vechile last week, and they requested a copy of my visa page from my passport.

Polecat, you can reregister and insure the vehicle if you have the book, by proxy. At least then you will have a legal vehicle all be it in someone else's name.

If you would like to PM me I will give you all the details along with a reputable english speaking repairer.

Unfortunately one is required to be in posession of a Non Immigrant visa to hold a Thai driving licence and to register a vehicle in their own name. There is a notice displayed on the wall of the registration offices on the Hang Dong road to this effect. I just purchased a vechile last week, and they requested a copy of my visa page from my passport.

Polecat, you can reregister and insure the vehicle if you have the book, by proxy. At least then you will have a legal vehicle all be it in someone else's name.

If you would like to PM me I will give you all the details along with a reputable english speaking repairer.

Thanks for the updated information, Maejo Man.